Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorDanielle
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2009

There’s one thing I noticed about the books: Paolini gives us a detailed map that explains exactly how a forest can be right next to a massive desert, but no timeline of Galby’s rise to power and subsequent rule PE (Pre-Eragon). Here’s what I’ve got so far:

Galby’s first dragon dies.
    Galby asks for another dragon.
    Awesome fair and wise elf overlords protectors say no.
    Galby goes insane; finds other dragon to replace old one. Forces it to serve him.
    Vrael realizes Galby is crazy; confronts him.
    Vrael and Galby fight; Galby kicks Vrael in the crotch.
    Power ceded to Galbatorix.

Am I missing anything? Because having some guy kick you in the crotch somehow doesn’t seem like it should be enough to make you give up the throne. Then again, I wouldn’t know….

He really kicked him in the crotch…?

• CommentAuthorDanielle

In Eragon (don’t remember the page number) Brom tells the story of how Galbatorix comes to power. In it, he mentions that “as they fought, Galbatorix kicked Vrael in the fork between his legs” or something to that effect.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Well, we know that hundreds of years have past since Galby took the throne, according to Yoda Orimas.

• CommentAuthorDanielle

Still, since Riders live a long time, wouldn’t that give them enough time to prevent Galby from gaining enough horcruxes Eldunari to take over? His methods for gaining power seem a little shady to me…..

“as they fought, Galbatorix kicked Vrael in the fork between his legs”

I don’t remember that part. That’s so incredibly stupid. I don’t know how I missed that…

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Seriously? The fork of the legs line is almost as frequently snarked as Brom not being kind with his stick.

I read it a while back. Maybe I zoned out during that part. I sometimes do that when I read.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

It definitely happened. There are pictures to prove it.

Now I think about it, I think I remember…maybe I blanked it from my mind for my own personal sanity.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I tried to make a timeline Back In The Day when I was a hardcore fan… iirc, there’s been about 100 years since Galbatorix came to power, and he had to spend most of that time breaking into the Eldunaris (wait wait wait, what was the plural ‘supposed’ to be, according to CP? Eldunarya or something?), as they were still consciously trying to withstand him or whatever.

Also, you should probably put in the whole “convinces deranged other Rider to help him. Teaches deranged other Rider stuff.” about Morzan.

Also also, it wasn’t that Vrael ceded the throne to Galbatorix… it’s that Galby managed to get a bunch of screwed-up Riders on his side (the Forsworn) and went on a rampage across the countryside with DARK MAJIKS and killed all of the other Riders, pretty much, and then they had a Last Battle in which Vrael and Galby had an Epic Standoff, and then Galby kicked Vrael “in the fork of the legs” and disemboweled him.

Vrael was the leader of the Riders, so after that there was no real organized resistance, so Galby just sort of flew up to the human palace and was like “GIVE ME POWER NOW.” Not seeing any Good riders around to help them, the humans were like “Okay, whatevs.”

Then Brom, who managed to escape the Texas Chainsaw Massacre because his dragon was already dead (I think? Or did the evil Riders kill his dragon? I don’t remember), got together with a bunch of humans and went to hide with the dwarves as the Varden. And at some point, Surda seceded and for reasons never properly explained (at least, not as far as I remember), Galby didn’t crush the rebellion or start a civil war, he was just like “Okay, whatevs.”

At some point, Brom and Jeod (the merchant dude from Teirm in the first book) break into Galby’s palace or wherever it is and steal Saphira’s egg, after which Brom disappears and mysteriously shows up in Carvahall where no one comments on the surprising similarities between him and this one kid who no one knows who the father is.

...yeah, I think that’s about it.

Disappointed in SWQ, since “fork of his legs” was the best line in the whole series.

• CommentAuthordrkeiscool
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2009

Why did Galba-what go insane when they wouldn’t give him another dragon? He didn’t really deserve one one, having been so irresponsible with his first one.

And why didn’t the uber-elves deal with him then? It shouldn’t be to hard to figure it out with their uber-magic.

And why-

[brain fizzle]

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Why did Galba-what go insane when they wouldn’t give him another dragon? He didn’t really deserve one one, having been so irresponsible with his first one.

He went insane with grief.

And that second sentence is why I dislike Inheritance dragon rider system and just proves they’re overgrown talking horses. Galby’s dragon is a sentient being, it (he?) could have decided to not go into the fight. It’s as much its own fault he got killed.

It’s like saying to a kid that because he didn’t feed his goldfish and it died, he’s not getting another one.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

Galby’s only had power for 100 years before Eragon, as I recall. However, Paolini completely glosses over SEVEN THOUSAND YEARS of Dwarf history and development before Eragon’s birth. It’s as little as “Oh BTW lol, the dwarves have been around for 7000 years”... but still have the technology and development of the dark ages, not to mention the political prowess of a cat with measles.

Wow. I totally missed the “fork in legs” part when I read Eragon.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

So did I. Then again, It’s been at least four years since I read the book.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2009

It was the best part! How could you possibly forget it?! The first time I read it, I was still an Eragon fan, and I still had to stop reading for about a half hour while I laughed myself silly!

• CommentAuthorMorvius
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2009

They did not give him a dragon because the Jedi Council felt that there was too much anger in him.

I really wonder...how did Brom know that Vrael was kicked up there?
    •  
      CommentAuthorJeni

because the Jedi Council felt that there was too much anger in him.

I’m not surprised! His best friend was just killed! And instead of treating him sympathetically, they turned their backs on him.

Another reason why Inheritances sucks, it’s easier to argue that the Bad Guy is good than vice versa.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Another reason why Inheritances sucks, it’s easier to argue that the Bad Guy is good than vice versa.

That’s what I’ve been saying, CP still hasn’t explained why Galby is evil, other then he killed the dragon riders. It doesn’t seem like he has very high taxes, the kingdom is huge which probably means he’s a good ruler and there wasn’t war until the Elves and the Varden caused it.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Yeah, I know, it’s a very old point, I just like to occasionally point it out again. :D

Wait… maybe Galby didn’t really go insane, but was actually plotting the overthrow of tyrannical dragonriders! He used his “insanity” as an excuse to somehow rally other riders to his cause! Brilliant!

It’s all part of the plan...

Or I’m just thinking too hard about it…

Inheritance timeline? Why, there isnt one

•  
      CommentAuthorRandomX2
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2009

In terms of actual time flow as the book progresses though, I distinctly remember there being a problem with Elain’s pregnancy. I don’t remember if she’s pregnant during Eragon (if so, then there’s a MAJOR timeline problem) but she’s pregnant all through Eldest and Brisingr. And since they’re in such a feudal system, they probably have no way of detecting pregnancy early on.

Meaning that when they note that she’s pregnant in Eldest (or Eragon), she’s actually been pregnant for a while. So unless all of the Inheritance series takes place in less than 9 months, well, yeah.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, because I haven’t read the books in a while and I don’t remember it so much.

As they fought, Galbatorix kicked Vrael in the fork between his legs

I distinctly remember wondering, “does that mean what I think it means?” when I was reading it.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2009

I think that one got retconned out in Brisingr, though… IIRC, the original discrepancy had to do with the dragons’ ages, but in Brisingr something was said about “how fast Thorn grew” or something to shrink the time back down to less than 9 months.

•  
      CommentAuthorEbelean
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2009

You know, technically the Riders WERE a military junta (albeit a somewhat prosperous one). If Galby returned rule to the original (feudal) lords, he was just doing his duty to the country.

•  
      CommentAuthorTalisman
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2009

You know, technically the Riders WERE a military junta (albeit a somewhat prosperous one). If Galby returned rule to the original (feudal) lords, he was just doing his duty to the country.

I have yet to hear of one concrete evil thing Galby has done (although, admittedly, I refuse to read Book 3 and get my info from sporkings). He runs the KindomEmpire well enough that even Eragon notices it, leaves Surda, the dwarves and the elves alone, kept the Urgals from ravaging the land…his “horrible crimes” are generally related second- or third-hand from his acknowledged enemies.

Long Live Emperor Galby!

The only fork-of-leg-kick I remember was one of the women from Carvahall when they were trying to steal the boat. I think it was Gertrude, or the lady whose husband got eaten by the Razaac.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2011

I have the book right here, and here is the actual quote. Eragon, paperback edition page 34.

“And as they fought, Galbatorix kicked Vrael in the the fork of his legs. With that underhanded blow, he gained dominance over Vrael and removed his head with a blazing sword.”

So Galby’s sword was on fire, and Eragon is just a sneaky little copycat.

“And as they fought, Galbatorix kicked Vrael in the the fork of his legs. With that underhanded blow, he gained dominance over Vrael and removed his head with a blazing sword.”

Okay, in retrospect this seems a lot funnier, especially with the ‘gained dominance’ and ‘blazing sword’.

Why didn't Vrael's wards protect him from that? You know what's interesting, that seems different from his writing..maybe it changed from then to now? or do I just not know his writing style?
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2011 edited

Why didn’t Vrael’s wards protect him from that?

I haven’t read the book in a long time, but if there’s one word that can be used to describe the magic system in the series, it’s “inconsistent.” The same can be said about his writing style.

The magic system seemed rather straightforward to me, although consistency could have nothing to do with it. Do you have a specific example of such inconsistency? I'm just curious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2011

If Arya has the power to transfer the dragon egg via magic why did she take such a huge risk and take it personally? Paolini makes up the magic as he goes, it doesn’t matter if it makes absolutely no sense at all because it’s “magic.” If all of this magic was available and they knew how to use it, why didn’t they?

hmm.. while I see your point about him making it up as he goes as being valid, might I suggest that transporting it with Magic wasn't the best way? She was the person in charge of carrying, ferrying, and protecting the egg. She wouldn't really be able to do her job if she just sent it away with magic, which she only did when it was apparent that she had no other choice. Also, it seems that bring an object back isn't really possible. Kinda like a letter; you can send one, but you can't just decide to get one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Well if the egg was really that important why didn’t she take more guards? Anyway, there’s really no real answer to these questions, so let’s try and stay on topic.

why aint the dragonrider block his junk with magic when galbatron kick him

sounds good...so what's the topic exactly?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

Sansa- obviously he thought that Galbatorix wouldn’t go for his junk. I mean, we all know that the most powerful war leaders in high fantasy can be naive about their enemies honor.

I mean, even Galby wouldn’t break the bro code, would he?

I wonder if his Dragon was already dead? How do you think a Dragon that is mentally linked to you would respond to you getting kicked there? (for a male at least)
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

sounds good…so what’s the topic exactly?

As the title suggests, the Inheritance timeline.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

Yes, you should.
    WWR- that is seriously deep. Er- no idea.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

why aint the dragonrider block his junk with magic when galbatron kick him

no shizzle dawg if’n I was him I’d be wit magic shields on my junk all up in here

I wonder if his Dragon was already dead? How do you think a Dragon that is mentally linked to you would respond to you getting kicked there? (for a male at least)

Ahahaha, oh, now that’s funny.