Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

Because you can’t tell the difference between British actors.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2009

Moldorm, British fail. You should be ashamed of yourself. :D

And from a Brit too! Shocking. ;)

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2009

Who is it who plays Bombadil, then?
    And was the resemblance to the actor playing Gandalf deliberate?

I kind of see the similarities. I mean, they both have beards.

And hats!

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2009 edited

And staves, and robes.

There’s no staff.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2009 edited

And isn’t the plural of staff “staves”?

...or not?

I thought it was, but since Gandalf has 1 staff and Bombadill has 0 it would still be “staff”.

•  
      CommentAuthorTalisman
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2009

And isn’t the plural of staff “staves”?

One of my pet peeves. Every time I see someone write “staffs,” I want to whack them with one.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2009

I’m sorry! Corrected.

I using “staves” until a couple of months ago, when I decided that I’d seen “staffs” in enough suitably official-looking documents for it to possibly be correct. I also get confused when I see “stave” used in the singular to describe a staff.
    And apparently imagined Bombadil with a staff, where none exists. I should probably just stop talking…

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2009 edited

staves is the officially correct plural of ‘staff’, whereas the seemingly-singular ‘stave’ is in fact a verb— the action of causing something to collapse inward.

When we hit Bob with our staves, his skull staved in.

There is also the form ‘stave off’, which has no real relationship to the singular use of the verb ‘stave’, and means ‘to protect against, or prevent [something]’.

I have seen the plural ‘staffs’ used before, but this is incorrect usage, deriving from the singular ‘staff’ with the Middle English plural ending -s. It’s essentially the same as “chaise lounge”, as a variety of ‘folk etymology’ that arose from a misunderstanding of the origins or correct usages of certain words.

At any rate, in kung fu we don’t use staves, we use cudgels. Very long ones, that we sometimes attach various metal spikes to.

Ety-Mon, away!

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2009

Woo, I was right! :D

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2010

Nate, where do you find these things? XD

Hehe, very nice, Nate! Especially since I actually know what a trebuchet etc. is...Wow, this is nearly as good as watching the movie! My mother is getting a bit annoyed with my raucous laughter though...I hope RVL sees this. I feel bad. I left her back in Paris. So sad.

Anyways, in my mind, there is no debate. Lord of the Rings is my favorite book EVER. Not only because of the wonderful writing, the characters (Princess Leia, Pippi Longstocking, and Eowyn were my childhood role models...), but they have a lot of nostalgic value for me, as my dad read them to me. Initially, it was to prep for the movies, but I love the movies and the books in their own right. The movies are classics--they were made to endure the test of time (and I would know, seeing as I've watched the Fellowship at least 20 times, know basically all the dialogue, and can still be enthralled by it every Christmas!)

This had to come up sometime--who is your favorite LotR character and why? My favorite female character is Eowyn, because she was strong and brave, and terribly tragic (and I like tragic characters). Male character would have to be Faramir, because he was one of the few people who resisted the temptation of the Ring, showing not only his goodness, but his lack of greed/ambition. (Not that ambition is bad--it's only bad when you hurt others to get what you want, which is what the Ring makes you do.) Plus, he is another tragic character--he barely remembers his mother, his father hates him...

Anyways, your turn to answer the question! (And please answer it? I really do want to know!)

I love Faramir and Eowyn as well. They are definitely near the top of my favorites list (which has no rank). I love how they both come from pretty bad familial circumstances but manage to pull through it (with the help of love, of course). They’re just adorable as a couple as well. :)

But I can’t believe you didn’t mention Sam. He’s so loyal, practical, and hopeful that researching these books really just elevated my opinion of him tenfold.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2010

I liked Bombadil. I know he barely features, but his personality was just so catchy and he as a character was just so enthusiastic and so full of life. I know it would have ruined him if he were given a bigger role, but I can’t help wishing he’s had something more to do.

Yeah, I know. Also, even though she’s not in LotR, I have to count Luthien as one of my favorite Tolkien characters. She kicks butt, period.

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow

Luthien is sort of the Ultimate Mary Sue Tm. Most beautiful child of Eru? Check. Peculiar parentage (half-elf, half-Maia)? Check. Princess? Check. Very powerful? Check. Magical companion (Huan the hound)? Check. True love who she falls in love with at first sight? Check. Banned from marrying him by Daddy? Check. Goes on a quest? Check. Wins against all odds? Check. Daddy eventually caves and admits her love is pure? Check. Retrieves her love from death? Check. Dies when she feels like it (and is never separated from her true love)? Check.

But it works. Tolkien is that good.

My favorite is tied between Aragorn and Gandalf. Oh, Aragorn, you manly man. Eomer is in second, with Eowyn at third. I adore Eowyn, but her (totally justifiable) angst annoys me sometimes.

Luthien is a Mary Sue, I guess…but if you think about it, wasn’t Tolkien drawing from mythological sources when writing the Silmarillion? Those characters aren’t psychologically complex at all. This whole emphasis on character was not a big thing in mythology in general.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

I’m a big Aragorn fan, although I’ve always had a soft spot for Pippin. For women, I liked Eowyn because she seems to be the most dynamic and complex of Tolkien’s characters.

For women, I liked Eowyn because she seems to be the most dynamic and complex of Tolkien’s characters.

Yeah, exactly! And I do love Pippin. And Aragorn! And- well, I have so many. :)

@WiseWillow

Luthien is sort of the Ultimate Mary Sue™. Most beautiful child of Eru? Check. Peculiar parentage (half-elf, half-Maia)? Check. Princess? Check. Very powerful? Check. Magical companion (Huan the hound)? Check. True love who she falls in love with at first sight? Check. Banned from marrying him by Daddy? Check. Goes on a quest? Check. Wins against all odds? Check. Daddy eventually caves and admits her love is pure? Check. Retrieves her love from death? Check. Dies when she feels like it (and is never separated from her true love)? Check.

But it works. Tolkien is that good.

See, I don’t think that those things necessarily make a character a Sue. As far as I’m concerned, Sues only happen when the author breaks the internal rules of the story to set stuff like that up. Anti-Sues result from cheating to the opposite end. Really, the fundamental problem with Mary-Sues is that they wreck a story’s verismilitude in order to give characters things that they don’t deserve. And – as far as I know – Tolkien didn’t do that.

So the symptoms, and not the real problem is what you’re saying.

So the symptoms, and not the real problem is what you’re saying.

Exactly.

This had to come up sometime—who is your favorite LotR character and why?

Aragorn and Sam. I’ve always had a soft spot for the woodland hero and his commitment to the rule of law. Sam just kinds of remind me of some people I grew up around. His calling Aragorn “Strider” to the very end (and Aragorn points out that only Sam could get away with it) was one of my favorite moments.

Luthien is a Mary Sue, I guess…but if you think about it, wasn’t Tolkien drawing from mythological sources when writing the Silmarillion? Those characters aren’t psychologically complex at all. This whole emphasis on character was not a big thing in mythology in general.

I don’t know. She has all the advantages for her (but heck, some people in real life do as well) but all of reality doesn’t warp around her existence (my usual standard for sueness). She and Beren did have to pay and suffer consequences for their actions which is also rarely done.

I personally don't think Luthien is a Mary Sue because she fails one of the crucial test in the Ultimate Litmus Test for a Mary Sue (trademark)--she suffers. A lot. She is not allowed to marry the man she loves, she has to travel in the wilderness by herself (not a hardship for yummy manly men like Aragorn, but not easy for a princess), she ultimately fails in saving Beren, and has to give up her immortality to be with him. She literally goes to hell and back to save him, which I think shows more courage and character than the Mary Sue Fairy Princess that some claim she is. Honestly, if I were in her situation, I would like to think I would risk everything for the man I love, but it would be so much easier to sit at home waiting for him. SWQ, she totally does kick butt (but not as much as Eowyn!)

Sorta kinda on that topic--I think that, though there aren't many of them, the women in LotR are powerful and strong, and serve as way better role models than the "strong women" in other books that shall remained unnamed (HAWKMISTRESS! for the fail!). What do you guys think? Some of my friends think that Tolkien creates the same fairy princess characters, but I disagree.

Also, I do too like Sam! Especially in the movie--all his speeches make me all teary-eyed. Especially the part where he says, "Mr Frodo, I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you!" It breaks my heart in a hopeful kind of way (that makes no sense, but whatevs!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2010

Sam is awesome too. I tear up at his speech at the end of the Two Towers movie. The music playing at that part is amazing as well.

Sam is awesome too. I tear up at his speech at the end of the Two Towers movie. The music playing at that part is amazing as well.

Even though that speech was originally from Gandalf (I think) at the beginning of TTT.

[sigh] I’m such a huge nerd.

Sorta kinda on that topic—I think that, though there aren’t many of them, the women in LotR are powerful and strong, and serve as way better role models than the “strong women” in other books that shall remained unnamed (HAWKMISTRESS! for the fail!). What do you guys think? Some of my friends think that Tolkien creates the same fairy princess characters, but I disagree.

I think Tolkien obviously recognized what some don’t want to (his being Catholic probably helped). That men and women are both strong but in different ways. Some might say that while men were given strength of body, women were given strength of soul. Tolkien works so much better because he works in reality as we know it, while others (I spit on you Hawkmistress) try to deny the reality around them.

There’s this sort of short story series in this magazine I subscribe to that really emphasizes the point even better. The series involves characters having to undertake a ritual journey to sacrifice themselves for a kingdom (it’s really pretty decent). One story involved a sort of usual “hulking fantasy hero” (though not cliche, but I won’t spoil how) while a later one involved a woman. What made these stories so perfect was their contrast in how the man overcame his trials and the woman overcame hers.

Oh my goodness, that is one of my favorite speeches in the entire movie trilogy! And yes, the music is WONDERFUL! I like Eowyn's theme especially, and the Fellowship theme--God, I really want to watch those movies/ read those books again!

My other favorite speech is Aragorn's speech at the gates of Mordor. At his "I bid you stand, Men of the West!" I always salute and simultaneously sob. As you can probably tell, I spend a lot of my time during my family's annual LotR marathon in tears. BUT I LOVE IT SO!!

OK, new question: What is your favorite speech from the movie, or line from the book? My favorite speeches are seen above, and my favorite line from the book is either "And the people sang in all the ways of the City," or "Do not scorn the pity of a kind heart, Eowyn."
    (Sorry, double post!)

@ Nate: I will look at the magazine later (I'm supposed to be studying for AP French...), but I agree with you! I think that women often can bear, and have to bear, more hardship than men, and can become stronger people because of it. The best example that comes to mind right now is Ma Joad from The Grapes of Wrath--while John (her brother in law) becomes a rather despicable drunk when he loses his wife and son, Ma quietly sits with her mother in law's rotting corpse because she knows that the family can't stop to bury her, holds the family together at all costs, comforts everyone, and still manages to hold on to her humanity and see the good in people.

A more relevant example would probably be Eowyn--I think her true achievement is not her killing the Witch King, but learning to love again, and to be compassionate after losing almost all of her family, and being stalked by a creepy, CREEPY guy. (Actually, I assume that she was more than stalked...but Tolkien probably didn't want to get into all of that mess, and this is probably not the place for it either.) Aragorn deals with his problems through battle, but Eowyn isn't really complete until she has had a taste of battle, and finds that she would rather heal than harm.

Although, I do think that the issue isn't so clear cut--I would say that Faramir has that strength of soul too. Again, his major triumph is not in battle, but in overcoming his father's horrible treatment, and finding love. But that's just my opinion.

Well there’s the obvious ones (L4M has good tastes).

The conversation between Gandalf & Frodo is also one of my most favorite of all time (of any book, movie, play, etc).

Do not be so quick to deal out death and judgment. Not even the very wise can see all ends.

@L4M

Although, I do think that the issue isn’t so clear cut—I would say that Faramir has that strength of soul too. Again, his major triumph is not in battle, but in overcoming his father’s horrible treatment, and finding love. But that’s just my opinion.

Obviously it’s more of a generalization than a hard and fast rule, as you can still have men with great soul strength and even women of great physical strength.

Of course, the “novelty” of it usually makes those characters stand out more as you’ve proved. ;-)

Even then, the LotR has this along racial lines as well, with Men being very strong physically but the hobbits probably have the strongest souls of all.

Hehe, that's very kind of you! I wish I could convince my dad of my "good taste"--he just shakes his head as his silly daughter who only reads silly books by silly Victorian women (Jane Austen, the Brontes, etc.), but poo-poos at "the greats" like Charles Dickens (who is as interesting as pond scum to read) and Fenimore Cooper (who was an aristocrat writing about and shamelessly romanticizing a life he knew NOTHING about.) I love my dad, but his book choice needs broadening. :)

I didn't think about the racial aspect--that's very true as well! Men are actually proven to be rather weak, and Elves, while strong, aren't really all the more admirable for it, perhaps because that is what's expected of them. Like you said, the novelty of strength in the Little People makes it all the more interesting, and all the more touching.

And the speech you mentioned is my dad's favorite speech as well. He always quotes it at me when I start becoming self-righteous.

Oh, I almost forgot, the most inspiring speech ever has got to be the one from here (right before the cheer).

@L4M – Hey, just remind your dad you could have much worst tastes. [coughMEYERcough]

Oh yes, very deep and inspiring. Especially the part about the douchebags on Facebook...hehe, that made my night!
    And as I bought the books to read them (for research purposes only!), my father will never forgive me. Ever. He brings up the $19.99 I spent to get the books EVERY TIME I complain about other people's obsession with them.

Anyways, total derailment of this thread has come to an end! Anyone else have a favorite speech/line from the book or movie?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

I need to re-read the books. I’ve only read them twice, and that was back when I was 12 or 13 so I was bored by them and thought the movie was better. [Blasphemy, I know.] Since then, I’ve read a few of my favorite chapters multiple times [like Mount Doom], but that has been it. I feel ashamed.

My favorite bit is “Where is the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?” etc. Very much so. Although I’m also very fond of the speech Theoden gives right before the Rohirrim charge at the Pelennor fields. Sigh. So much goodness there.

I like 'Where is the horse and the rider' as well. Also, I love the line describing Eowyn:

bq. Who knows what she spoke to the darkness, alone, in the bitter watches of the night, when all her life seemed shrinking, and the walls of her bower, closing in about her, a hutch to trammel some wild thing in?

I believe Gandalf said this in the book, but I love that they changed it to Grima Wormtongue in the movie. Just makes his character that much creepier, because he's so perceptive on top of being a stalker.
    • CommentAuthorDamselfly
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2010 edited

I could be dead wrong about this, but I actually believe it was Aragorn who said that, when he was explaining Eowyn's condition to Eomer after she got injured, possibly? It's been a while, though, since I've read the books. It's a great line, I love it too.
    @Damselfly: It's actually Gandalf who explains Eowyn's sorrow to Eomer. I wish I had the books right now so I could be 100% sure of this, but I'm pretty sure, anyways.

I always disliked Eomer a little bit, because he never realized what his sister was going through, even though they lived in the same house. But I guess he does have a lot on his mind.

@SWQ: Wormtongue was CREEPY in the movie! I felt sorry for Eowyn when he touched her...
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2010

I think Eomer in the books (if I recall correctly) is very much against Wormtongue; he knows that Wormtongue wants Eowyn. I think Eomer was just sort of oblivious to Eowyn’s other sorrows. Maybe? I really should read them again.

@ lookingforme: I’m 100% sure it was Gandalf. :)

Yeah, Eomer is a very protective big brother, but he can only see (and try and protect her from) outside threats, like Wormtongue. He’s unable to see that the majority of Eowyn’s problems are actually an internal thing.

True, but you would think he would know something of it, considering he too lost his parents, lost his uncle (first to Worntongue, then for real), lost his cousin...but then again, with all that death, one may become engrossed in private pain quite easily.

Oh, I forgot my other favorite speech: "Oh yes we could! Spoiling nice fish...give it to us rrrrraw and wrrrrrriggling!! You keep nasty chips."

"You're hopeless."

@ lookingforme: But the point of Eowyn’s sorrow is that she feels trapped, unable to do what she really wants, and she is forbidden from doing what she thinks would fulfill her. Eomer has no such issue, because his duty is to be a warrior, which is what he wants to do.

Yeah, Eomer is a very protective big brother, but he can only see (and try and protect her from) outside threats, like Wormtongue. He’s unable to see that the majority of Eowyn’s problems are actually an internal thing.

What, a guy is insensitive to a woman’s emotional needs? You don’t say!!!

Next you’ll be telling me water is wet!

Ok, seriously though, I probably understand it because it’s a guy thing – we just have a tendency to fix thing. Even if Eomer knew what was going on with his sis (or – more likely – had an inkling) it’s only natural that he would focus on the stuff he can hit and stab – the things he can DO something about. Especially as a warrior. I mean, what is he supposed to do about her other pain? You may as well ask a fish to learn how to juggle (from his point of view).

Eeexactly.

•  
      CommentAuthorZombie Devin
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2010 edited

I watched the Fellowship of the Ring for the first time in four years today— forgot how awesome Lord of the Rings is!

Edit: It was, of course, the extended edition.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2010

Now you need to watch it with the cast commentary. Those guys can be hilarious

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2010 edited

I don’t like the cast commentary, because it’s not close captioned. I CAN’T HEEAAAR YOUUUU, DOOOOOOMMMM! cried

@ Nate: I can see your point--guys to tend to go, "OK, something is wrong? Let me go out and fix it."

@ Apep: I love Dominic Monagan and Billy Boyd--they are the best thing on the cast commentary!
    •  
      CommentAuthorarska
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2010

A billion comments too late:

Don’t worry, we won’t tell helvengurl :P

About? Because, I too, believe Nazgul ring-offering was stupid, Aragorn was sexy as hell, and Legolas is do-able to a fault.

And want to watch it all again. :(

AND AGAIN :(

And read the books again because I read them like, four years ago and have had no time to steal them from my mom since.

I WANT TO WATCH THEM AGAIN TOOOO! Maybe that's how I'll reward myself once exams are over!

Did people really not like the Nazgul ring offering thing? To be honest, I didn't mind that it wasn't in the book--the whole Frodo-Sam relationship is much more intense in the movie, and in order to make the relationship work, that scene had to be in the movie, I think. Plus, it leads to one of the best speeches in the trilogy.

I actually don't mind that Jackson sometimes deviated from the novels--it's very clear that he cares about Tolkien's books, and very clear that he had done his research. Some of his decisions were a bit iffy (making Faramir an evil cold-hearted suck up, for one...of course, I am SO not totally in love with Faramir, so I am NOT biased...), but he made it work.

I actually don’t mind that Jackson sometimes deviated from the novels—it’s very clear that he cares about Tolkien’s books, and very clear that he had done his research. Some of his decisions were a bit iffy (making Faramir an evil cold-hearted suck up, for one…of course, I am SO not totally in love with Faramir, so I am NOT biased…), but he made it work.

It’s one of those things that’s divisive between fans and casuals.

I mean, in the book you KNEW how oppressive the ring was. Of course, conveying this in movie format without endless narration is nigh impossible. Faramir was a bit of a tough choice since if they had played his scene straight, it could undercut the tension you’re trying to build.

I would have liked the Nazgul scene better if it had been adjusted some, otherwise you just leave people wondering “why can’t the nazgul keep trying to get Frodo”?

making Faramir an evil cold-hearted suck up

He was not cold-hearted or a suck up, and definitely not evil! In fact, I thought that the movie did a good job of portraying the relationship between Faramir and Denethor, and how much Faramir desperately wants his father’s love, but is kind of resigned to never getting it like Boromir did. I think that was made a lot more powerful by Faramir actively debating whether to take the Ring to please his father, but ultimately refuses. Then when you see him in the next movie so mistreated and underrated by Denethor, it makes you empathize with him a lot more and makes him appear a lot more human. I mean, seriously, Faramir’s almost crying when Denethor says he wished he’d died instead of Boromir.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2010 edited

I agree, Faramir was portrayed really well in the movies.

Agreed. He was so wonderful… sigh

Sorry, I’m done now. ;)

•  
      CommentAuthorarska
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2010

I think this thread needs a little more sexy:

Let it also be known I am an equal-opportunity oggler:

To back up my claim as being incredibly attractive to a fault, in case you all missed Dan’s declaration, is that if a man can pull the following off, and you STILL want him, he’s hot. REALLY REALLY HOT.

Hey, let’s not forget the guys around here.

My fave pic of Arwen:

And I’ll admit a tastefully done tiara adds a lot to a woman.

Don’t forget Rosie Cotton either!

Gotta love a woman who works in a bar. XD

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

There’s a distinct lack of Elrond in this thread. <3

Sorry, Jeni, here’s more Elrond.

Oops, wrong one.

Battle weary edition!

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Ooooh! I love him there! <3 <3 <3

It’s the eyebrows.

•  
      CommentAuthorarska

You know, I’m a completely straight girl, but Eowyn= DROOL
    ^ sorry for ripping you off, Dan.

Arwen!

I love her green dress there, and her hair ornamentation. :D

I tried to sketch this one, but it didn’t turn out too well…

I actually drew a really good sketch of that one… Anyway, it’s definitely my favorite picture of her. :D

I love her green dress there, and her hair ornamentation. :D

I certainly wouldn’t object to my bride wearing that on our wedding day.

A good friend of mine, when she got married both she and her husband had LotR oaths inscribed on the inside of their rings in Elvish.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Needs more Elronds In Disguise:

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Oh, Moldorm. You speak to my heart. <3

A good friend of mine, when she got married both she and her husband had LotR oaths inscribed on the inside of their rings in Elvish.

I am SO doing that when I get married. :D

A thousand posts too late, but here we go:

@ SWQ: I DO like Faramir (I think I mentioned that he's my favorite character), but I was ill-put to approve of the character change they made in the movie. I guess I like my men to be perfectly pure of heart, hehe. But I guess I see your point--actively making Faramir debate over the ring highlights his inner conflict about his father's love for him.

And I don't know about Faramir, but I always cry when Denethor sends him away. I feel like leaping into the Movie-World, and begging him not to go...

I really appreciate all the sexiness on the thread--it made my day! I do not care how old Viggo Mortensen is, his voice makes me smile like an idiot, and his hands look so manly and yet gentle...I LOVES HIM SOOOO!

And Arwen's dress is so pwetty. She got to keep one of the dresses as a present--I wish I had a dress like that...

I’ve just started on this article and thought it worth sharing, especially as I’m sure we’re all looking forward on screwing up NP’s attempts to grade LotR on her “adopt or die” series.

I wanted to comment on this article a while back, and haven't had the time...I highly recommend it to other people, so we can have a discussion on it! While I can see where the author's coming from, I feel like modern audiences would have a hard time connecting to characters who are completely hopeless. Eowyn has always been my favorite LotR character, but her lack of hope always disturbed me. Faramir's response to her question, "Is that our fate? Darkness Inescapable?" (not an exact quote, I know...) is honest and frank--a bit too much so for Hollywood. I think audiences would be shocked to hear Faramir say that he doesn't believe there is any hope--I was shocked while reading it.

Then again, I would say that Jackson retained some of that hopelessness--it's not like Eowyn is all cheeriness. She has her gloom and doom moments, like the dream with the abyss and such. The other, grimmer characters however, like Aragorn, are made into more hopeful characters--like when he says he believes Frodo is alive. The Aragorn in the book would have never said that. But like I said, modern audiences would have a hard time understanding how people could keep going without any hope. Not to sound pessimistic, but going on to do a really hard thing because it's the right thing to do doesn't seem to cut it anymore.

THERE IS A DISTINCT LACK OF SAMWISE GAMGEE.

THERE IS NO LONGER A DISTINCT LACK OF SAMWISE GAMGEE.

I appreciate that, SmartAlienQT!

I appreciate that, SmartAlienQT!

Thank you. Sam is my favorite character besides Legolas and Pippin. Stupid Rosie Cotton…

Sam is probably the literary character I would marry. I know that sounds creepy, but oh well…

•  
      CommentAuthorSMARTALIENQT
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2010 edited

No, I completely understand. I mean, he’s definitely the most husband-y character I know. Does that make sense? Like, the most down-to-earth, the most calm and levelheaded, the least likely to cheat on you, the best person to start a family with. Did you see that ending scene in Return of the King where he comes home to his family? Awwwwww….

Damn, now I want to marry a Hobbit. Why aren’t Hobbits real?

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2010

Because then there would be a huge increase in single human males because all the smart girls would have chased after the adorable hobbits.

I can definitely see what you guys are saying, though, about him being the most marry-able. And I would concur.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2010

Probably not. Not all women like their men so short that they spend all their time staring at your chest.

I’ll give him Ent-draught.

Not all women like their men so short that they spend all their time staring at your chest.

According to my calculations, Sam will always be too tall or too short to get a proper view of my bust. :)

I never realized what good husbands hobbits would make--but what about their obsession with food and drink? I mean, I would prefer not to be ignored because of a muffin.

Then again, since hobbits aren't fighters, they are less likely to get killed than men.

And I suppose I'd rather have him cheat on me with a muffin than with Muffin-the-girl-next-door.

Hmmmm...

And I suppose I’d rather have him cheat on me with a muffin than with Muffin-the-girl-next-door.

Who the heck names their daughter Muffin?

Who the heck names their daughter Muffin?

People who are “new” and “unique” and “edgy”? Hey, Michael Jackson had a kid named Blanket.

There was a character in Arthur named Muffy.

I remember that! Muffin was the name that came to mind because I'd just watched Gilmore Girls. It was the episode where Rory has to design and market a product, and Paris uses Muffin as an example of why every kid wants a first aid kit.

If that didn't make any sense, I have two excuses: five hours of sleep and yummy cake.
    I love The Lord of the Rings.

I guess that's it.

Hey, we all have to have something to fanboy(girl) about ; )

No snotty elves for Tolkien, no sir, he made them into real people. And Legolas had some seriously creepy moments. Oh when he mouths off to Aragorn and Boromir in the books. Priceless. "Very well I'll go find the sun." *Prances over the snow*

And Legolas had some seriously creepy moments.

Question: was Legolas ever tempted by the Ring? Sam was supposed to be the only one not tempted, because he’s humble and small and stuff, but was Legolas? I mean, even Gandalf was tempted by the Ring, but Legolas?

I’m going on the movies here, though. Was he tempted in the books?

Legolas does nothing much in the books. Gimli actually gets a bit more development, and both characters don’t really have that much of a reaction to the Ring.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2010

Yeah, Legolas doesn’t do much…

I don’t think either was ever exposed to the Ring, though, were they? Frodo offered it to Galadriel/Gandalf, Boromir wanted it to begin with, and it was especially trying to tempt Aragorn… maybe Gimli and Legolas just weren’t important enough to the Ring for it to try to tempt them.

...yes, I consider the Ring a tenth member of the Fellowship! Even if it’s not exactly conscious, per se, I say it at least has motivations and goals.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

I think Sam was tempted. As I recall, he had visions of himself as an omnipotent gardener, covering the world in beautiful gardens, which he overcame through his devotion to Frodo.

As I recall, he had visions of himself as an omnipotent gardener, covering the world in beautiful gardens

Why, that reminds me of a song! When I rule the world, I’ll plant flowers…

Moldorm is correct.

Anyway, because my sophomore thesis research project was on LotR, I thought it would be best to share the news here. After MONTHS of agonizing and pain, I have earned a 97% on the thesis and 106% on the presentation (I got extra credit for doing a video). That is such a relief off my back. It also makes me glad that I did my favorite book ever justice.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

applauds Congratulations! That sounds very exciting.

So this video you speak of…

...sucks. No really, it’s just pictures cobbled together with horrible video taken on our family camera. I didn’t use movie footage because I didn’t know how. However, I did use the soundtrack, which made things marginally better.

Congrats, SWQ!

bows with a flourish

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

Way to go! :D

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2010

• CommentTimeJun 25th 2010

OMG YES PLEASE!