Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2009 edited

Mainly driven by me often needing to get opinions for relatively minor things, but important in their own little way. XD Yer, a general thread to ask those little questions and get advice from other Imps. :3

Should I take part in the reddit Secret Santa?

Pros:
    FUN.
    PRESENTS.
    Getting something so British for someone abroad.
    I love giving presents.
    Receving something addressed to: [reddit username][home address] = awkward questions.

Cons:
    Internet people + address. D:

I could use my university address, but I wouldn’t get the parcel until I came back to uni until January, which would rather defeat the point and make me terribly behind in posting a picture of my gift and I’d miss out on all the excitement and joy on reddit.

I really want to, but… ;_; What should I do?

Edit: btw, this could be solely influence by me working lately. My presence on reddit increases when I have work to do. When I don’t, I barely go there. I could just need to take part in a secret santa.

great, now I have this idea about an II secret santa.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2009 edited

Hahahah, I tried to organise a similar one last year, but I ran out of time, and emergency things happened, so I had to go home and generally not be able to sort it.

Edit: we could do it, if enough people are interested, I certainly would be and a lot of this lot have my address anyway. XD

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2009

Oh, I’d love to do that so much! Unfortunately… awkward questions would abound. Unless I could convince a friend to let it get sent to their house, and then they could give it to me.

@original topic- errr, I dunno. It’s kind of a tough question… on one hand, Internet+address is scary, but if there’s been no problems before, maybe it wouldn’t be bad or anything.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

It depends on how far you trust the reddit people. Will this just be between a small group of users, or will it be open to the whole website?

IISS would be fun, but internet people + address combined with overseas postage.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Hahahah, the postage isn’t an issue, I like sending parcels.

It’s open to everyone, but only one person will ever see your address.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Then I don’t really think there’s a chance of that person being a stalker…

<<
    >>

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

If there’s only one person, I think it’s probably safe…

Hmm… yeah, but the postage and the whole stalker thing… especially since you don’t know WHO’s going to see your address.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2009

Heh, I still have one more day to decide. :3

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2009

Hmmmmm, guys, what should I get for the ladies that clean our flats for Christmas?

I usually like to get them something because they work so hard. I can only ever think of chocolates, which is a bit generic, so, does anyone here have any ideas?

•  
      CommentAuthorRandomX2

How about a good ol’ scarf for the colder winter days (assuming you live in a place where it gets cold)?

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2009 edited

Hmm! It doesn’t get that cold (cold enough for scarves, though), but still… good idea! Thanks. :)

•  
      CommentAuthorRandomX2

XD

If it doesn’t get cold, then maybe a brooch or something? They aren’t terribly expensive, and you can always get some good ones cheap off ebay.

Make them some homemade cookies, and then give them something small and sweet too.

>>

<<

Yeah, I’m gonna give all my profs fudge and/or cookies right before break.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2009 edited

Ooh, that’s a rather good idea. That’s if I can convince the oven to work (it’s a bit temperamental). Although I’ll have to see, because I intend to leave the gifts in my room before I leave, so when they come to clean they’ll find them, and I’m not sure when I’ll run away home for the holidays.

(I’m hopelessly shy about giving the gifts, I’ve always had to leave them in my room for them to find).

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Tell them to fix the oven so you can bake them cookies. ;)

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

XD I should. It’s kind of weird actually, we have three dials for the oven (one top, one bottom, and I presume the other is a grill), but only the top oven works.

Spooooooky.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

O.o

Do fudge then, it only requires a stove top.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2010

Does anybody have copies of the Epistles?

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2010

they’re actually being reposted on some website or another…

http://www.theeveninghoot.com/author/epistler

Although if you’re impatient, this group has put them up in the discussion section:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2226832354&v=app_2373072738

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Ugh, I hate that people are too effing stupid to realise they’re worse than CP by getting credit for copy and pasting.

Apart from anything, they are so out of date now.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Apart from anything, they are so out of date now.

Yeah, but I’ve never read them before, and I was curious to see what there were like.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

I was mostly talking about the idiot reposting them in the first link. I never got around to saying that on the lj, so I wanted to express some vitriol here.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

The Evening Hoot does claim to be reposting with permission from the original author, though the anonymity makes them suspect.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

I’m not going to say for 100% that I know it’s not the Epistler, but why they were taken down in the first place, and their own opinions of them, I’ll say about 89% it’s not.

So, a question… how many writing projects do you think it’s wise to have going?

I have… too many. Far, far too many.

Personally, I can’t handle more than one major one (like a novel) and one minor one (like a short story).

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2010

I personally do one at a time. But while I work on it, I’m thinking about different stories I can write after I’ve finished it.

I personally do one at a time. But while I work on it, I’m thinking about different stories I can write after I’ve finished it.

^^This. Though I have tried to do more than one at a time. I just failed at it.