Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

So as you get older, you find less time for reading, and therefore you’re more annoyed when you end up having read a book that absolutely sucked. So let’s help each other out.

Post the books that just aren’t worth reading here, and why they sucked so hard. Link, rant, bash and argue to your hearts’ content.

(Obviously, exclude Kenneth Eng, Maradonia, Twilight, and Inheritance.)

The Amber Spyglass was pretty disappointing, as was the last Dark Tower book.

Speaking of Phillip Pullman, I was very much tempted to chuck The Tin Princess at the wall. I’ve mentioned it once, I think.

I couldn’t finish it, one of the main characters seemed extremely fixated on the protagonist, who was called “The Cockney Queen” or something like that. She was probably a raging Mary Sue.

:/ This was probably a few years ago. How vague my complaints are.

And honestly, Catcher In The Rye. While it may have been hailed as a controversial work back then, it just seems so trite now. There’s nothing interesting about hearing a kid angst about life and ‘phonies’ while doing nothing about it.

ooh. But it’s a classic! (haven’t read it yet, by the way)

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2009

And there are many references to it in Ghost in the Shell: Stand-Alone Complex. Therefore, it must be good.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

I find that pretty much anything that has a cover where the author’s name is larger than the book title. Exception is for Stephen King, of course, and this conversely goes double if the author is completely unknown to you.

I’ve had some bad experiences with bargan-bin author’s-name-larger-than-title books. Especially those where the name and title are embossed and picked out in flaking metallic gold paint.

lol. I agree. Anyway, my one for the list, which I ranted about in the Book Thread:

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare.

She kept doing shout-outs to other authors, the characters always jumped out of character to deliver snappy one-liners, and I don’t know how you manage to make a fight scene boring, but she did it. Plus she has no concept of how to use adverbs. Or grammar in general.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac

The Giver by Lois Lowry. Almost everyone else I’ve talked to has loved that book, but I hated the ending. Nice job introducing some complex moral quandaries and not freaking resolving them!

headdesk

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Agreed! I hated that book. It was set up very well, but then the ending just sort of… flumped.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2009 edited

Commiserator!

cue tears of joy at finding another

It was set up very well, but then the ending just sort of… flumped.

Into fluffy killer snow.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

YES. There was no emotional closure. I mean, I’m not saying it has to have a happy ending with fluffy bunnies hopping through sparkling meadows, but even depressing endings need to have closure!

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2009 edited

YES. There was no emotional closure. I mean, I’m not saying it has to have a happy ending with fluffy bunnies hopping through sparkling meadows, but even depressing endings need to have closure!

YES. And there was NO CLOSURE! ARGH!

I read part of it and enjoyed it (the first chapter, I think), and I kept planning to read it.

It came up in a discussion on “Books with Sucky Endings.” I felt left out.

And honestly, Catcher In The Rye.

No! But it’s so random and funny. “I think I’ll give Jane a call.”

The Giver by Lois Lowry.

I love that book. =( But, yeah, the ending could’ve been better. I couldn’t get throught the sequel though.

Okay, so on to books I don’t like.

Mergers. It sucks, a lot. It’s an interesting concept, but the writing is aweful. He writes people’s thoughts in italics and uses quotation marks around them. His characters (even the supreme ancestral wise people) are immature and sort of stupid. It’s ver much kidified.

Maximum Ride: The Final Warning (and all in the series that follow this one). It has next to nothing to do with the plot of the first three books, and it’s quite obvious that the reader is being talked down to and manipulated. It’s a soap box, nothing more.

Born Blue. It started out okay. I felt bad for the main character and all. But then she got older, and her problems were the result of her own stupidity instead of poor circumstances. She’s just a very inconsiderate person, and I hated her as the novel wore on. Her childhood was screwed up, but I still couldn’t excuse her being so aweful and annoying.

The Invisible Man (not Invisible Man). It’s really boring. It just is. It’s best summed up in the Book-A-Minute (I think it’s by RinkWorks), which says, “I turned myself invisible… and it SUCKS!” That’s basically the whole story.

Amandine. It’s another one of those where I have about zero respect for all of the characters. It’s just so, shivery. I don’t like it all.

I will post more as I think of (and read) them.

Maximum Ride: The Final Warning (and all in the series that follow this one).

Exactly! I don’t even count them as canon.

Also, most books on a Scholastic Book Sale list. Some are good, but most are cheap crap.

Also, most books on a Scholastic Book Sale list. Some are good, but most are cheap crap.

This. Most of those are the ones with the stupid looking teens on the cover. I usually avoid books that have pictures of actual people on the cover. It depends on the picture, but when they are just standing there looking stupid, I just don’t feel enticed to read more.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

After trying really, really hard to get through The Fox by Sherwood Smith, I decided to chuck it at the wall and swear that I would never become so awfully, purplishly, bloatedly long-winded in my writing.

If you don’t like romance (or the, I wanna say 1800s), don’t read Pride and Prejudice. I really do not like it at all. I don’t like that time period very much though. Yes, I know that’s when Jane Austen was alive, so that’s what she wrote about. It doesn’t make me like it anymore. I do, however, recognize that it is well-written.

/rant

I tried to read Sherlock Holmes once, did not care for it.

Aw, I love P+P. It’s one of the only romances that doesn’t make me want to puke.

Speaking of the classics, I found Great Expectations very boring. Maybe I’ll pick it up again and love it, but last year it wasn’t interesting at all.

Yeah, I had trouble with that, too. Then I tried Pickwick Papers. It was interesting.

Hmm, I’ll try that…after all the other books on my list.

Tell me about it.

Maybe we should also make a thread about unbelievably amazing books everyone should read, so then if you’re stuck for something good, then you have some suggestions.

Or we could just do more reviews for II.

Or that.

I’m working on a few now.

War and Peace.

The Inspector returns!

Hey! I just read the spoilers. I am relieved that they mean absolutely nothing to me as I haven’t read it yet.

The Inspector returns!
    X

Hey, someone noticed I was gone. That never happens….

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2009 edited

I noticed you were gone!

...sort of. The other day I was like “Hey, where’s the Inspector?” at least…

I noticed you were gone when you came back…

It’s great that you didn’t disappear into the cyber-vortex forever, like a lot of other old members…Corsair, MegaB, and all of them.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2009

It’s great that you didn’t disappear into the cyber-vortex forever, like a lot of other old members…Corsair, MegaB, and all of them.

They may have abandoned us, but they will not be forgotten, for evidence remains of the time they spent here, all too brief though it was. For on the internet, random musings and embarrassing pictures are forever.

That was lovely, Moldorm.

wipes away single tear

grabs SWQ’s single tear and tastes it in an Edwardly fashion

I’m still talking to MegaB, but I forgot about Corsair. CB’s disappeared though.

Yeah, because he actually had a life, methinks.

burn

Did I already say Heart of Darkness? The “then he was dead, then he wasn’t” thing reminded me of it.

I picture books in my mind as I read, like a movie. Heart of Darkness was like all the actors were walking around in the dark and mumbling. I couldn’t tell what was happening or if Kurtz was dead or not.

•  
      CommentAuthorTalisman
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2009

I tried to read Sherlock Holmes once, did not care for it.

I’ll second this. I read the first Holmes story, well aware of how awesome Holmes was and how he created the detective genre, etc…only to see Doyle flagrantly ignore basic rules of the genre. Holmes deduces ridiculously complex strings of facts from scant shreds of evidence, and worst of all, the solution is such that the reader could not possibly have figured it out! Holmes takes an entire chapter – maybe more – explaining the villain’s backstory, and it’s all stuff that was utterly unrelated to anything that happened in the main text.

Grr…

I’d dislike that part of Holmes stories more if I were better at guessing whodunnit. I read mysteries for entertainment, not for brain workouts. Does anybody else do this?

Sometimes I do, but I find a lot of enjoyment from speculating.

That said, I’m awful at speculation. Really awful. Maybe I prefer reading mysteries for entertainment after all. I haven’t read one in a while.

I suspect everyone possible to suspect, and I’m still wrong on every count!

•  
      CommentAuthorTalisman
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2009

I read mysteries for entertainment, but I also like trying to figure out whodunit. The problem with the Holmes books is, that’s literally impossible since significant clues are withheld from the reader. It’s like being told to assemble a map of the USA with only 15 states.

I find that I get better at guessing whodunit the longer I read a particular author’s works…get to know how they think, and so forth.

If that’s the case, I should guess Agatha Christie’s every time.

•  
      CommentAuthorEmil 1.4021
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2009 edited

I would also like to add the never-ending Dragonlance series, which I consider to be children's books, but some old friends think not. I find them absolutely repulsive, even though I only have one of the books in my possession. It's filled to the brink with suedom, and I've been tortured into calling my somewhat demented friend "Raistlin" for longer than I can even remember (I refused, though), and then forced to write crossover-badfic with said friend (She stood for the crossovers. I kept to my own characters.) which I suspect has left me mentally scarred for the rest of my life.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2009

Ever since reading The Series of Unfortunate Events I learned not to read book series more then 8 books long. I found TSoUE just a big repeat, after the 8th book I gave up on it, it got too predicable, every book just a repeat.

Magic Tree House.

Good idea on conception, but then you have stupid things like Jack and Annie becoming time wizards and visiting dragons and all sorts of nonhistorical crap.

(Obviously, I haven’t read Magic Tree House for years, but Emill’s mentioning of a kid’s series just reminded me.)

And Gloatia read them, so that’s a de-incentive.
    Uhm, anything by Scott O’Dell if you are creeped out by the fact that the guy has a penchant for writing fiction from the point of view of young Native American girls. And the angst is tedious.

Hey, I used to like them, before they met Merlin and all sorts of fantastical crap that has no place in a book geared towards teaching history to kids.

I haven’t read Scott O’ Dell but I heard that Island of the Blue Dolphins was good. However, the summary on the back did not particularly interest me.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2009

Magic Tree House

They hold a special place in my heart as the series that got my sister to love reading. She hates them now, but whatever. XD

Island of the Blue Dolphins

I haven’t read that book in forever, but I vaguely remember it being one of my favorites. Methinks I’m overdue for a reread…

•  
      CommentAuthorPearl
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2009

Books to never read: The House of Night Novels and also The Host
    Those are all I can think of off the top of my head. I’ve complained about those in other threads, i do believe.

Um. The Host is actually quite good if you don’t mind a slow plot mostly focused on romance and surviving in a desert. Which I don’t. I’m not saying it’s flawless, but I *koff*reallyenjoyedit*koff*

•  
      CommentAuthorPearl
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2009

I detested it. But I think it was because it had so much potential, that it was acutally really really good, until about half way through when she did the Ian/Wanda thing, which slaughtered the entire story. I was so disappointed. :(

What did you want to happen?

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2009

I dislike The Host on the basis that the blurb says that the “love triangle with only 2 bodies” thing is OMG COMPLETELY ORIGINAL.

YES LYK, SRSLY. IT’S THE BEST THING SINCE SLICED BREAD.
    ;)

•  
      CommentAuthorPearl
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2009

It would have been so interesting to see what happened as they got rid of the “souls” and got rid of Wanda and fixed all their problems, instead of just making it into some big stupid love story, that was not realistic at all and completely unbelievable.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2009

The whole bodysnatching thing just reminded me of Animorphs.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2009

Really, thinking about it, the whole book was very human-centric. Wanda is supposed to be an alien, right? So why does she act and react and even think just like a human? That really irked me. The whole book seemed to be screaming, “Humans are the greatest and the best and most wonderful things in all the universe!!!” Which is all fine and dandy, but I appreciate not being bludgeoned about the head with it.

Otherwise, though, the Host was much better than Twilight.

Otherwise, though, the Host was much better than Twilight.

Agreed. There was a point when I actually liked The Host, but then I re-read it and found it to be rather… Mmph.

• CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2010

I tried to read The Great Gatsby once.
    I never got past the first few chapters, since I realized that I didn't care about any of the characters.

ATLAS SHRUGGED.

That is all.

Don’t even get me started. Ayn Rand is a terrible person and a worse writer.

@Deborah: I think that’s the whole point of the book, though—all the characters are terrible people, but after a while, you can’t help being drawn in by them, especially Gatsby.

@Karamazov: Yeah, I’ve heard that she’s kind of a strange author. What was so bad about the book, if you don’t mind my asking?

•  
      CommentAuthorMiel

I hate Ayn Rand as well. She’s a terrible writer. Her plots are ridiculous, her characters are unlikeable (she thinks that Mary Sues/Gary Stus are good characters because they’re larger than life), and her philosphy basically translates into barbarism (the strong take from the weak).

I thought Gatsby was boring when I had to read it in high school, but now I think it’s rather excellent.

•  
      CommentAuthorlookingforme
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2010 edited

Well, I guess that was life under Stalin’s rule…I always felt sorry for her because of that, but I’ve heard from others who have read her work that all her characters are perfect and pretty and BORING.

EDIT: I loved Gatsby too…I couldn’t help but falling in love with Gatsby and his optimism, gangster business be damned! They’re having a Gatsby-themed party at one of the sororities weekend after next…I kind of want to go, but I have no idea what I’d do there.

•  
      CommentAuthorBrink

Off-topic, but I’m honestly really worried I’ll write something spork-worthy.

I mean, I think I’m a decent enough writer, but I spend so much time on literary snark sites, I don’t know. Does anyone know what I mean?

• CommentAuthorDeborah

I know! I tend to over-analyze my work and not get anything done.

I hated Gatsby when I read it junior year. However, I’ve learned to appreciate it, and it got better toward the end.

I read Gatsby for school last year and loved it. Still do.

For some reason, it’s up to comfort-reading status now. I have no idea why. The decline of the Great American Dream isn’t exactly comforting.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2010

I like Gatsby (the book). Sure, it’s not very happy, but for some reason I enjoy reading it. I also love Wuthering Heights, even though, again, all of the characters are terrible people.

Also, without Gatsby, The Wire would either not exist or be notably different.

How so?

(Also, we have an F Scott Fitzgerald thread if anybody’s interested…)

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2010

Splendour. Horrible. I couldn’t make the head nor tail of it. It’s just a bunch of “romance” stories all bunched up together to make one full story that’s supposed to have connections with each other. I didn’t see any connection or I was too overwhelmed with high societies to understand what the heck the author’s trying to say.

I hate Ayn Rand as well. She’s a terrible writer. Her plots are ridiculous, her characters are unlikeable (she thinks that Mary Sues/Gary Stus are good characters because they’re larger than life), and her philosphy basically translates into barbarism (the strong take from the weak).

AMEN.

Also, a 60 page speech about her philopshy. headdesk

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2010 edited

How so?

Gatsby’s story has a lot of overlap with a number of Wire characters involved in ‘The Game,’ in that the endgame they have in mind for themselves involve leaving the streets behind and using their drug money to build real lives for themselves outside The Game. They can never really escape, though, because the things they did on the streets always catches up with them.

In S2, one of these characters even gets a little speech about it. Has spoilers and language, though.

• CommentAuthorMoggo
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2011

Vampire Kisses. Oh Lord, Vampire Kisses. I don't even know where to start about those unholy...books?
    Am I the only one who wishes to stake Raven&Co for presenting us the worst portrayal of goths since My Immortal?

I feel really bad for Goths. They’re usually stereotyped and misrepresented in the wider media.

•  
      CommentAuthorSharkonian
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2011

David Wellington and his "Monster" trilogy, and pretty much all the other books he cranked out. I bought all of his books some years ago for nearly a hundred dollars altogether because I thought they were the best thing ever, and I have to say they aren't. The first half of Monster Island was perhaps the only good part of any of his writing. It was very good, and slowly it descended to a steamy piling of crap on my book shelf. I regret buying them, but I guess I, and others, could learn from his writing: If it's going good, keep it that way. Don't take cheap cop outs and churn out the same shit over and over again. Oh, and probably work out plot holes and parts of the plot that just don't make sense. Yeah.
    • CommentAuthorMoggo
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2011 edited

"They’re usually stereotyped and misrepresented in the wider media."

I think you would be hard pressed to find something the wider media doesn't stereotypes and misrepresents, but...yeah. Poor Goths.
    Also, although I find it unlikely that someone here will come across them, since they are not translated in any language I know about besides my own, I need to rant a bit about the Uma Aventura books. It's a long running series about a bunch of kids who solve misters along with their pets (now, where have I seen that one being used before?). Good writing and grammar and such, but the plot keeps repeating over and over and over for over forty books. Not to mention that the authors ripped off Enyd Blyton and twisted her characters and plot-lines in every way they could think about, to the point that the poor woman must be turning in her grave from shame.
    •  
      CommentAuthorClibanarius
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2011 edited

__Marquis de Carabas said:__ *"as was the last Dark Tower book."*

THIS.

Arrggh! I loved that series right up until the last book.

Then he went all: "There are no happy endings and now I'm going to give you the worst possible ending in history to show that I'm God's gift to writing."