Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

I recommend Lewis’ essay “Christianity & Literature” (I have it in a collection called Christian Reflections).

I’d quote from it but… I don’t know where to stop.

• CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2011 edited

I now have my own copy of Lewis’ The World’s Last Night and Other Essays. I thoroughly recommend it.

For those wanting a shorter essay, I recommend John C Wright’s entry.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2011

That is a great quote. I think that’s my philosophy on the subject. You can bring a Christian perspective (whether it’s overt or not) into any piece of writing, not just “Christian” writing.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2011

Ugh, why are so many people so fond of The Silver Chair? I have always liked that one the least (which means I still like it more than practically any other book ever published, of course). Horse and His Boy and Prince Caspian are clearly the best.

@swenson

I will no longer speak to you.

I have always liked that one the least

Uh uh, The Last Battle is definitely the worst one.

I’m not speaking to Swenson, either.

Yes! Tomorrow will be national “don’t talk to Swenson day”!

Horse and His Boy

I hated that one. I was very bored. It’s the reason I’ve only read three, three other two being Magician’s Nephew and Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe, both of which I enjoyed. Maybe it’s because I read it ib seventh grade. I dunno.

I am no longer speaking to NP. :(

Hey, I’m gonna read them all again eventually. Maybe I’ll like them better then. Plus, I was reading them chronologically, which I have since learned is the crappy order.

...I guess I’ll go sit in the corner with Swenson. But she likes that one. Different corners?

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2011

I call the corner with the fluffy chair in it!

The Last Battle is horribly depressing, but the end manages to rescue it somewhat for me. I’m not sure why I dislike The Silver Chair so much. I think it’s because they screw up so much and so often, and I read it when I was in the “heroes must always be right and must always win” stage. The idea that there could be a prophecy or whatever that they didn’t properly fulfill was just… unsettling.

Also, I associate it with being cold, because it takes place in the north in the snow.

NP, do you have the published order? (my original set is in published order so I’ve always known it and read it like that)

I am – of course – speaking to you because you have the chance to redeem yourself.

I am still not speaking to swenson.

Published order is on Wikipedia, do that’s how I plan to read them when I read them.
    I believe it’s:
    The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
    Prince Caspian
    The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
    The Silver Chair
    The Horse and His Boy
    The Magicians Nephew
    The Last Battle

I am – of course – speaking to you because you have the chance to redeem yourself.

So I can come out of the corner now?

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2011

I read LWW first, then the others in in-story chronological order. I think you really do have to read LWW first. The Magician’s Nephew is good, but I’m not sure it’s all that great of a place to start reading the series, especially because it doesn’t have the Pevensies in it and they’re kinda important in the other, later books.

To clarify, I did what swenson did. I read LWW first because we read it as a class in fourth or fifth grade. Then I read MN and HaHB a few years later. Then I stopped for previously stated reasons.

No, NP. you must stay in the corner until you finish reading. XD