Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

Yes, first of all, this is a religion-specific topic. I’m sorry about that, but this does happen to be about writing as well, and I’d really appreciate conversing with other Christians and see how they’re handling this topic. If you’re not a Christian, please feel free to post anyway.

But guys, I’m sure it doesn’t need repeating, but please respect others’ beliefs here. You don’t have to agree with them, but just be polite, okay?This is a safe place… :P

It also happens to be a safe place with no ‘how the world began’ discussions either. That’s a whole different kettle of fish.*

So now that we’ve cleared that up, I have a few questions. Has anybody got links or ideas on how to write a story so that God doesn’t take over the storyline? Not that I’m saying He’s not important, just… life goes on. God isn’t the only thing in life. We have to interact with real people and deal with real situations. Does a Christian story necessarily have to include a subplot of spiritual growth? What effect does it create for you when you read one-sided prayers in a novel?

I’m also facing an ethical dilemma about swearing. A few of my characters are not Christian, and so they behave like non-Christians (not that Christians are any better, sometimes). This includes the fact that they swear.

Now, the thing is, when reading a book I prefer to not have to read swearing in it, most Christians prefer not to have swearing in it, and swearing is frowned upon by Paul anyway, but I’m trying to do realism here, to show that these are characters who . So does this cross the art/God line?

I’m not asking you to tell me what to do, but what do you guys think?

*By the way, this is aimed more at the newer members who may not be totally familiar with how stuff works around here.

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2009

I’m not exactly sure about most of this, but one thing did occur to me- most swear words are simply Anglo-Saxon vulgarities. There’s a different between “oh f-$*# it all” and “damn it all”. One is vulgar, but not blasphemous. The other is not vulgar, but very blasphemous. You might try making this distinction- I know a few people who will readily tell someone to f-$*# off, but refuse to say dammit.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I automatically shy away from Christian fiction because it generally strikes me as pretentious and preachy and, above all, unrealistic. If I was given a choice between two Christian fiction books, one being “clean” and the other not, I would pick the latter to read, because chances are the characters and the story are going to be more realistic. People swear. Even Christians swear. It’s a problem I would rather have addressed than ignored or edited out.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I agree with Spanny. Saying people act like non-Christians doesn’t mean much, especially in a modern world. People act the way they are going to act, no matter what they believe.

I’m a Christian. I don’t usually say that without qualifying it, though, because I’m not typical. That’s another discussion, however, so suffice it to say that I am in the same boat with my own writing and feel this discussion is very appropriate.

Well, we must first make a distinction between “Christian fiction” and fiction that is written by a Christian.

On the one hand you have the sorts of stories that fill most “Christian” book stores. The pretentious, preachy, annoying, unintelligent fiction that is just a rip off of non-Christian fiction.

Then you have Christians who write fiction, like Dostoyevksy and Tolkien, for example. C S Lewis was a little less obscure with his fiction, though I hardly think he qualifies for the “preachy, pretentious” category. (His Perelandra Space Trilogy was especially original, I thought.)

The difference between the two is the same as any other art form. You have the “Christian” bands who sing, essentially, a “clean” version of what is on “normal” radio. Then you have bands made up by Christians, who make artistic, creative music that may or may not blatantly reference God.

Or take painting. You have the artists who paint lambs with lions, or Jonah in a whale, pictures that go into Sunday school books. That’s fine. But then you have artists who are Christians, like Knippers and Rouault who focus less on the Hallmark moments and more on real life situations.

I guess I’m just saying all this because, personally, I would prefer to be in the second category. When you write, your beliefs sort of end up framing the story in any case- no matter how hard you may try to avoid it. Your beliefs/values/principals will always end up in your story. It’s just a matter of how blatant, preachy and pretentious you are going to be.

Not convinced? Check out a few of these authors:
    Stephenie Meyer
    Philip Pullman
    Christopher Paolini
    Mary Shelly
    Leo Tolstoy

It’s all a matter of degrees and skill. Some are more creative, artistic, original, imaginative than others.
    Ahem

You forgot Rowling. Plenty of imagery in Harry Potter has a christian source.

True, true. But then I haven’t read her books (I know, I’m an idiot) and don’t feel qualified to speak about her. I have her series on my list of “to reads.”

HP is so Christian that I was, and continue to be, baffled at Christian groups taking umbrage at it.

I consider Narnia/LotR/HP to be effective Christian fiction because it keeps the themes as undercurrents(for the most part) instead of letting them intrude on the narrative. I simply don’t read ones like that, since it seems like it’s more likely to beat me over the head with mangled scripture than actually examine the deeper ideological/theological tenets of Christianity.

Although I’m Catholic, and I personally couldn’t care less about swearing in fiction. I tend towards foulmouthedness myself, mostly because curses themselves are human constructs. There’s no “thou shalt not say f—- and s—- and c—-” in the Bible, so the words themselves aren’t evil beyond the meaning we attach to them. The feelings that drive people to use those words is what ought to be important, so focus on that when deciding whether or not to use them.

I think the first thing you have to ask yourself, though, is for what reason(besides you yourself being Christian) do you want to make your story a Christian story?

See, I would never say “I want to make a Christian story” because then it’s a parable or a Aesop’s fable. It’s a moral lesson, which is okay in some ages but not our present one. We prefer implication.

As far as swearing or having “bad” things happen in a book…just think of Dostoyevsky. One of his main characters was a prostitute and several characters (“bad” and “good”) cursed.

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus

What genre are you writing in. Sci-fi, fantasy, literary? Cause I find stories with religious themes (or anti-religious themes) a lot more tolerable when they’re not set in the “real world”. If your story is set in the real world, you need to be self aware to avoid being unintentionally didactic. Speculative fiction gives you more freedom to be allegorical, and the like.

But I suppose the basic question is: should an artist to self censor because of his or her moral convictions? I’d say yes, it’s fine. I may not see eye-to-eye with you about swearing (the idea that it’s unchristian to swear takes a stricter view of Christianity than most Christians hold to), but there are plenty of issues I’d hesitate to touch, even if it would be realistic in the story. I probably wouldn’t write a Jack Bauer interrogation sequence, for example. I saw a documentary a few weeks ago about African Muslim film actors, and how many of them have ethical issues playing romantic parts with people that they aren’t married to. One shouldn’t have to shed one’s moral center in order to create art. You just have to be careful about being preachy and superior. You don’t want it to come off like you’re saying “See how nasty those Deists are? They even say cr*p!” But you already knew that, right?

Christians shouldn’t be afraid of “touching” subjects just because they are sensitive or uncomfortable. And the whole “cursing” thing…I could go on a soapbox over how the phrase “take God’s name in vain” has been twisted to mean something it doesn’t….but I’ll refrain…

If you are cursing just because you can’t think of any other way to be descriptive chances are you’re either needing “How to Write 101” or else you’re writing in the fan-fiction genre and can’t be bothered….

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2009 edited

Fear isn’t so much part of it. I just think that if someone uncomfortable including something, they shouldn’t feel obligated to. It’s the flip side of artistic license. One can still write a perfectly good story without having the characters curse. There are other ways to express the ideas.

I think we have a miscommunication. I wasn’t disagreeing with anything you said.

My point was that a person (no matter their faith) should not feel obligated to omit certain facets of life from their fiction because they don’t meet the standard of that person’s religion/morality. An example would be Sonya of Crime and Punishment. She’s a prostitute and also a compelling character written by a Christian author. Of course, every artist has the liscense to do what they want and avoid any subject they desire.

Yes, first of all, this is a religion-specific topic. I’m sorry about that, but this does happen to be about writing as well, and I’d really appreciate conversing with other Christians and see how they’re handling this topic. If you’re not a Christian, please feel free to post anyway.

But guys, I’m sure it doesn’t need repeating, but please respect others’ beliefs here. You don’t have to agree with them, but just be polite, okay?This is a safe place… :P

I’d just like to say, as a moderator, no other beliefs will be excluded but… if you want to talk about atheist/muslim/buddahist/etc writing, maybe start a new topic just to avoid flame wars?

So now that we’ve cleared that up, I have a few questions. Has anybody got links or ideas on how to write a story so that God doesn’t take over the storyline? Not that I’m saying He’s not important, just… life goes on. God isn’t the only thing in life. We have to interact with real people and deal with real situations. Does a Christian story necessarily have to include a subplot of spiritual growth? What effect does it create for you when you read one-sided prayers in a novel?

Now, the thing is, when reading a book I prefer to not have to read swearing in it, most Christians prefer not to have swearing in it, and swearing is frowned upon by Paul anyway, but I’m trying to do realism here, to show that these are characters who . So does this cross the art/God line?

Well there are “grades” to swearing like a lot of other things. I know some christians don’t mind an occasional ‘D’ or ‘H’ here and there but there are other words which are much, much worse.

Of course, also keep in mind culture differences. (I’m sure you crazy Australians have some words you don’t say in front of grandma that Americans wouldn’t think anything about.) Which, if you’re writing a story in different worlds or times, you get to make up swearing! (or do research as to what was swearing in that time, less likely for modern people to get offended)

I guess I’m just saying all this because, personally, I would prefer to be in the second category. When you write, your beliefs sort of end up framing the story in any case- no matter how hard you may try to avoid it. Your beliefs/values/principals will always end up in your story. It’s just a matter of how blatant, preachy and pretentious you are going to be.

I believe it was Lewis that said (and I’m paraphrasing) that “don’t worry about writing “christian” fiction. Be a good christian, write the best fiction you can and the former will bleed into the latter.”

HP is so Christian that I was, and continue to be, baffled at Christian groups taking umbrage at it.

You and Hogwarts professor both.

One shouldn’t have to shed one’s moral center in order to create art.

Indeed, I’d say that one’s moral center is the center to creating the best art.

Cause I find stories with religious themes (or anti-religious themes) a lot more tolerable when they’re not set in the “real world”. If your story is set in the real world, you need to be self aware to avoid being unintentionally didactic. Speculative fiction gives you more freedom to be allegorical, and the like.

One note: for EVERYONE:
    Whatever you do, try to keep God from appearing as a player, or if He does, don’t have Him speak. Why? Because God is (in some ways) the ultimate mary sue in that whatever He says or believes is ultimate reality (my chief designate for sueism). When an author has Him say something, then the author is immediately making a blatant point.
    Example: God appears at the end of your story and says “You should be bigendians.” The author has now told you that eating eggs on the big end is as morally right and correct as “thou shalt not murder” and other bible verses. They just gave divine weight to their opinions.

Lewis was skilled enough to pull it off (one might even make the argument that all of Aslan’s lines are direct quotes) but trust me, you’re not – yet. (whoever is reading this)

• CommentAuthorsimian

One of the things I liked about writing fan fiction (looks around nervously) was the constraints it put on me as a writer. I had a pre-established universe and characters to deal with. Unless I wanted to suck (and oh so many fan fiction writers do) I could ignore characters' established personalities or introduce a myriad of my own characters. I enjoyed the intellectual exercise of having constraints put on my writing that I had to work in.

So, if a constraint were to avoid depictions of ... inappropriate behavior (swearing, sex, drinking, whatever) then take on the challenge. One interesting aspect would be to do it in first-person to give the impression the character was purposefully ignoring these things.

As for Christian writing: I would think that "spiritual growth" and a relationship with God is necessarily an aspect of a "Christian" story. Otherwise it's just a story that has a Christian character in it. Lots of movies (say, Independence Day) have Christian characters (and even some Jewish ones in that movie.) Just because you see them pray (when they think they'e about to die) or say "Oh, my God" when staring down the throat of a dinosaur doesn't make it a Christian movie.

I've always wanted to take a shot at Christian writing. My only exposure to Christian entertainment is the Christian movies, and boy-howdy those are awful. Subtle as a hammer to the head and loaded with the simplest characters imaginable. Everyone spouts Bible verses at the drop of a hat and there is one and only one (of course, that IS the way and the light) solution to what's going on. Why does it always have to be so bad?

Yeah… I get annoyed by Christian rock. Hymns are nice, hymns are fine. But… I dunno, some people just can’t be religious without looking stupid. Some of the people I know who have the most faith are also the most softspoken about it. Anytime I hear someone proselytizing with “Jesus is my personal savior” or hear someone going “well praiiiiiise Jesus!” I cringe a little inside. For lack of a better word, it seems so… narm. And… Christian rock is so, so obnoxiously painful. Like the Simpsons said, switch the word Jesus for baby, and it’s generic bad rock. Blech.

Simian, I see your point perfectly. Anvilicious is bad (with a few exceptions).

I’ve always wanted to take a shot at Christian writing. My only exposure to Christian entertainment is the Christian movies, and boy-howdy those are awful. Subtle as a hammer to the head and loaded with the simplest characters imaginable. Everyone spouts Bible verses at the drop of a hat and there is one and only one (of course, that IS the way and the light) solution to what’s going on. Why does it always have to be so bad?

I think some of it might have to do with intellectual wars, tensions, etc.

Just pulling a theory off the top of my head (I have NO data on whether this is true or not), there’s historically (and sometimes still is) been conflict between Christians on the roles of works vs faith.

Thus, when writing a story “endorsing” a side, you get an expected result. If the protagonists “worked” their way out of the problem, that would be promoting works over faith and not putting our trust in God like we should, etc etc.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

As a Christian, I think all of my writing has some Christian elements. That’s not to say that I’m Anvilicious about it, because I’ve never made any attempt to purposefully make my writing Christian, it’s simply that because Christianity is such a huge part of my life (well, it is my life, in a sense), there’s no way I can invent stories that don’t agree with my beliefs.

To be honest, I could never write a “BLATANTLY CHRISTIAN ANVIL” story. I’d almost feel… blasphemous, to be putting words into God’s mouth and saying what He does. After all, in the real world any more, God does not wander around actually talking to people or doing public miracles any more. In this age, we live in a world where God works through people, instead of around them. So to write a modern story in which God works blatantly would just be inaccurate. To write one in which the possibility is never discounted that God is influencing people, on the other hand, even if you never write the words “God is probably influencing Sally” in the story, is completely accurate… and much more palatable to read.

Some atheists may find it surprising, but I despise anvilicious Christian stories as much as they do. Most of the time, preachy stories are half-wrong anyway, and the rest of the time they’re so focused on preaching at the reader that the book is terrible. And don’t get me started on Christian romances, especially historical ones! I’d rather eat worm-infested mud than read a Christian historical romance.

Some atheists may find it surprising, but I despise anvilicious Christian stories as much as they do. Most of the time, preachy stories are half-wrong anyway, and the rest of the time they’re so focused on preaching at the reader that the book is terrible. And don’t get me started on Christian romances, especially historical ones! I’d rather eat worm-infested mud than read a Christian historical romance.

YES. I agree completely. The word “obnoxious” comes to mind.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

There’s a argument against religious moderates and how it supports the ‘obnoxious’ ideals you don’t like in here somewhere, but I’ll just leave it alone.

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus

I think we have a miscommunication. I wasn’t disagreeing with anything you said.

No harm done. I agree with what you said, that if you think that there’s only one way to express your ideas, you need more experience writing. I was just trying to make my point clearer.

Thus, when writing a story “endorsing” a side, you get an expected result. If the protagonists “worked” their way out of the problem, that would be promoting works over faith and not putting our trust in God like we should, etc etc.

I never thought of it that way, but it makes sense. It seems that a lot of Christian™ fiction that I’ve exposed myself to seems to have this “and then I learned to trust god, and I’ve been happy ever since” mentality. The christian spiritual journey amounts, essentially, to putting one’s faith in somebody else.

It seems that a lot of Christian™ fiction that I’ve exposed myself to seems to have this “and then I learned to trust god, and I’ve been happy ever since” mentality.

ugh. Looks angrily at Facing the Giants.

I like the quote Nate quoted from Lewis. Don’t TRY to write Christian fiction. Write fiction and it will be Christian, in some way, somehow. The same applies to authors of all faiths/non-faiths.

The christian spiritual journey amounts, essentially, to putting one’s faith in somebody else.

Well, certain sects/denominations of the faith amount only to that…others don’t.

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2009

Well, certain sects/denominations of the faith amount only to that…others don’t.

I generalize, of course. But, at lest as I understand it, Christians are saved by acknowledging and repenting for their sins and inviting Jesus to work good through them. Thought this philosophy may help real people, character development of this kind, on its own, doesn’t lend itself to good storytelling. Too often, I think preachers authors take the easy, oversimplified “so then I opened my heart, and Jesus came in to solve all of my problems” approach, which is just nauseating. Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure talented writers can and have made christian stories suspenseful and compelling to christians and non-christians alike. But this requires they focus less on “trusting Jesus” and more on the prerequisite personal growth.

Or the post-faith carrying out of one’s duty to God.

But yeah, I get your point. Which is why I’m still glaring at Facing the Giants

I’m not exactly sure about most of this, but one thing did occur to me- most swear words are simply Anglo-Saxon vulgarities. There’s a different between “oh f-$*# it all” and “damn it all”. One is vulgar, but not blasphemous. The other is not vulgar, but very blasphemous. You might try making this distinction- I know a few people who will readily tell someone to f-$*# off, but refuse to say dammit.

Oh. See, I’ll say ‘damn’ and sometimes ‘hell’ (although I’m trying to stop both), but I absolutely refuse to say f——, etc. I won’t say ‘damn you’, though. That pretty much is a curse.

I am actually writing with a point: that we all make mistakes, and that Christians aren’t as perfect as we portray ourselves to be, whether intentionally or not. I, too, hate oversimplified works. Life is freaking HARD! It’s not easy, and having God doesn’t make it all magically turn into rainbow unicorns that poop gold coins and frolick in meadows. My (Christian) character is going to end up making some pretty dumb choices becuse she’s human. That’s the whole point to the story.

I do believe that your beliefs will shine through no matter what you write, the thing is, I want to write a story with a Christian protag—not necessarily Christian/inspirational fiction, but I’d rather actually mention God than just have ‘feel-good’ themes around, because I don’t think there’s enough of that around lately. If, as the ‘experts’ say, people read books to ‘safely’ experience bad things, then we have practically no resources of that sort for other Christians, and that’s a shame.

If the protagonists “worked” their way out of the problem, that would be promoting works over faith and not putting our trust in God like we should, etc etc.

I like what somebody I can’t remember said: You have to pray as though prayer’s the only thing that works, and then work as though work’s the only thing that works.

To be honest, I could never write a “BLATANTLY CHRISTIAN ANVIL” story. I’d almost feel… blasphemous, to be putting words into God’s mouth and saying what He does. After all, in the real world any more, God does not wander around actually talking to people or doing public miracles any more. In this age, we live in a world where God works through people, instead of around them. So to write a modern story in which God works blatantly would just be inaccurate. To write one in which the possibility is never discounted that God is influencing people, on the other hand, even if you never write the words “God is probably influencing Sally” in the story, is completely accurate… and much more palatable to read.

Amen to that, lol. Jesus doesn’t do your work for you. You can ask for help, but in the end, you’re the one who’s got to change. I’m only just realising that when it comes to writing.

Thanks for continuing the discussion, guys. This is really interesting.

I like what somebody I can’t remember said: You have to pray as though prayer’s the only thing that works, and then work as though work’s the only thing that works.

I’ve heard that phrase too in relation to the story of Ester. “Pray as if everything depends on God, work as if everything depends on you.” is how i heard it.

Or as the old country phrase goes:
    “God helps those who help themselves.”

Virgil, I didn’t mean the ideals were obnoxious- I meant that sometimes the people who espouse them are. Name one televangelist that isn’t annoying and hypocritical. Go on, I dare ya.

Nate- Perfect summary! God helps those who help themselves…

If the protagonists “worked” their way out of the problem, that would be promoting works over faith and not putting our trust in God like we should, etc etc.

WUT

That makes no sense whatever. I’ve never read anyone from Paul to Piper who would agree with that statement.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Virgil, I didn’t mean the ideals were obnoxious- I meant that sometimes the people who espouse them are. Name one televangelist that isn’t annoying and hypocritical. Go on, I dare ya.

No I meant the people too.

WUT
    That makes no sense whatever. I’ve never read anyone from Paul to Piper who would agree with that statement.

I didn’t say I agree with it Juniper, just said that some out there believe that.

Especially hyper-calvinists.

Some of my Baptist friends believe exactly that. As a good Catholic I disagree, but it’s better left un-discussed with anybody holding a strong opinion on the subject.

“God helps those who help themselves.”

I have to say, that is neither found or implied anywhere in the Bible, it was written by B. Franklin.

I have to say, that is neither found or implied anywhere in the Bible, it was written by B. Franklin.

That’s why I called it an old country saying. ;-)

THIS.

B. Franklin

Bartholemew Franklin? Benedict? Balthazar? Boaz? Bainbridge? Babar? Baldrick?

Sheesh, TA, don’t keep us in suspense here…

I’m sure he meant this B Franklin.

Or how about this B. Franklin.

... okay, I cheated a little.

I didn’t say I agree with it Juniper, just said that some out there believe that. Especially hyper-calvinists.

Oh, right. Okay. Just makin’ sure we weren’t all going to wish away our cancer or believe our way to wealth.

Back on topic.

Any other issues we can think of here, or a…

HEY! Let’s do an article entitled: “Christian Writing: what NOT to do”!

That way it’s snarky, and it’s writing-related, and I’m sure if we stuck up a disclaimer saying ‘if you want to write an article on Muslim, Jewish, etc fiction, go for it’ it’d be okay. As long as we severely policed the comments section.

Ah, the end of democracy…

Benjamin Franklin, I wrote “B.” because I wasn’t sure I would spell it right.

Here’s a question for you: can a work “earn” a Deus Ex Machina?

(spoiler example below)

I didn’t read all of the posts, but here are my opinions:

I am a Christian, but I prefer not to read Christian fiction because it tends to be really preachy and unrealistic, like a bunch of other people said. I have only read one Christian book that I liked (THR3E), and I didn’t know it was a specifically Christian book. I’m not including the Narnia books. I’ve only read three of them and only liked two. I’m not including Harry Potter either because it’s not really meant to be preachy just because it has Christian imagery.

I use mild cursing when I write, but I don’t say God’s name in vain because that bothers me. I would say that if you’re uncomfortable with swearing, then don’t use it. But you could try Willow’s approach about using vulgarity without being blasphemous.

I also agree that you need to decide if you are writing a Christian story or just a story written by you, a Christian. I prefer the latter because they are much less preachy and usually just allude to Christian themes without beating the reader over the head with them. I hate those books that every five seconds have to say, “Oh, and don’t forget, I’m a Christian book.” Stories with Christian themes are different than Christian books that just seem to be there to tell you that they are Christian.

Personally, I would have some swearing because it just doesn’t sound realistic for adults to say, “Oh goodness, that friggin’ thing just won’t stop! Darn it!” I read a book where the characters sounded this way and was perpetually annoyed.

Anyway, that’s my opinion on the subject.

Thanks, NP, that’s really interesting.

Personally, I would have some swearing because it just doesn’t sound realistic for adults to say, “Oh goodness, that friggin’ thing just won’t stop! Darn it!” I read a book where the characters sounded this way and was perpetually annoyed.

In that situation, I try to eliminate words that even pretend to be curse words, becuase, you’re right, they sound stupid.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2009

Well, there are Christian adults out there who don’t swear with either vulgar or blasphemous words- my parents, for one. So they actually do say things like “oh my goodness” and so on. I guess the hard part would be making it natural, because someone who does swear is going to find that unrealistic.

But made up pretend curse words just sound stupid in general. Either you’d use the real words in that situation, or you’d stick to your guns and not use any curse words at all, even made-up ones.

But made up pretend curse words just sound stupid in general. Either you’d use the real words in that situation, or you’d stick to your guns and not use any curse words at all, even made-up ones.

Oh that’s the stupidest frakin’ thing I’ve ever heard.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Gorram it Jeni! You stop that right now.

In that situation, I try to eliminate words that even pretend to be curse words, becuase, you’re right, they sound stupid.

Yes, they do. Also, I tend to use “crap” a lot because, in my opinion, that’s barely even a curse. So, I’d say, either curse or don’t curse. Fake cursing just sounds bad unless the person using it is a child or that’s a character trait of theirs to fake curse.

So they actually do say things like “oh my goodness” and so on.

True, but for her non-Christian characters, it would sound very unnatural most likely.

I don’t say, “Oh my…” anything because I don’t like how “gosh” and “goodness” sound.

As embarrassing as it is to admit, I say “oh my goodness” frequently.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

I use “gosh darn/ed” often, mainly in reference to xkcd.

A Christian person could probably safely say ‘shit’. I mean, seriously. It means the same as ‘crap’, ‘poop’ and ‘feces’, all of which are not swears anyway. Then again, I’m not Christian, so what do I know?

I know as many non-Christians who find curses and vulgarities both unappealing and objectionable as Christians.

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2009 edited

I use “gosh darn/ed” often, mainly in reference to xkcd.

I use it to reference to Sarah Palin.

I wouldn’t say that much. I’m still trying to pull “MRIFK!” out of obscurity. As in “Mrifk you!” or “Son of a Mrifk!” or, in the most extreme of situations, “By the surly beard of Mrifk!”

I say it ‘Mur-frik’. What is your preferred pronunciation, Artimaeus?

Yes, they do. Also, I tend to use “crap” a lot because, in my opinion, that’s barely even a curse. So, I’d say, either curse or don’t curse. Fake cursing just sounds bad unless the person using it is a child or that’s a character trait of theirs to fake curse.

I won’t even use that.

A Christian person could probably safely say ‘shit’. I mean, seriously. It means the same as ‘crap’, ‘poop’ and ‘feces’, all of which are not swears anyway. Then again, I’m not Christian, so what do I know?

Plenty :). But still, that’s like saying that it’s fine to say ‘f*ck’ because it means the same as ‘have sex’. It’s not the actual literal meaning behind the word, it’s what context it’s used in. The words sh*t, f*ck, etc, are strong language.

The rule of thumb I go by is that if people apologise for saying a particular word in a more formal situation then it’s a swear word, vulgarity, what have you.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2009 edited

Curses are best when they follow a general pattern, I find. “mange-ridden, elfshot, poxy malingerer!” works well because everything has the context of “disease or illness”, whereas “filthy son of a bitch” combines the two often-interacting elements of “unclean” and “dog”.

In the context of threats, falling back on mythology works well. “Be quiet, lest I introduce you to the Stygian maid whose eternal wailing torment echoes in the farthest hollows of of accursed Hades!” is fun because it references Greek mythology (The Stygian maid being Persephone, the daughter of Demeter, who weeps for being forced away from her mother for one third of the year). However, it probably comes out a bit stilted in written dialogue. If you can get the words out right without stumbling or stuttering, it’s excellent to be yelled in the middle of a class in which students are acting up. Even though it is essentially a death threat, nobody would notice except in particularly advanced classses.

I thought of something you could possibly do. You could start the curse, but sort of trail off. Like, “Son of a” and “What the.” It would be best if it wasn’t overused though because I think it could get old after a while.

• CommentTimeNov 22nd 2009 edited

Oh, excellent! I forgot S-O-B. Much more expressive than crap, but not blasphemous.

One more thing to note if not be concerned about: swearing does help to date your work.

I mean, you can tell what era the Narnia series was written in because Lewis constantly refers to a donkey in book 7 as an “ass”. Of course, back then, not a swear word.

^^That’s true. But most work will end up dated anyway just because language changes as time goes on.

And people can also be interrupted when beginning to curse. “Aw sh—” then someone else starts to talk, cutting them off.

^^That’s true. But most work will end up dated anyway just because language changes as time goes on.

Well true, but language as a whole changes more slowly than things like swearing.

^^That’s a pretty groovy point.

lol. But ‘ass’ outside of America isn’t a swearword. It just makes you sound like you’re trying to say a*se in an American accent, and that just makes you sound stupid if you’re not American in the first place.

However, ‘ass’ was used as an insult in Narnia, too.

I thought of something you could possibly do. You could start the curse, but sort of trail off. Like, “Son of a” and “What the.” It would be best if it wasn’t overused though because I think it could get old after a while.

I use this every so often. One book I read by Meg Harper actually asterisked the words out:

“Oh, sh**”.

It took me a long time to realise that she was swearing.

It took me a while to realise that “b———” in a Harry Potter novel meant that yes, wow, Lee Jordan was swearing.

WHAT???

I don’t recall exactly which one it was, but I think in an earlier novel, Lee was commentating on a match and Slytherin … huh.

Huh. It’s weird, because I’m fairly certain it happened, but it seems so unrealistic now.

That is weird.

Anyway, back on topic.

It’s funny, because I’ve heard many Christians swear. The only people (who are older, of course*) I’ve met who deliberately don’t swear are Mormons, and I’m not going to discuss whether I think they’re Christians or not.

I don’t think I’ve ever read “Christian fiction” though. I’ve probably read a few Christian stories (the kind that end up in an inspirational collection of short stories), but, you know, I don’t know the genre so well.

*I’ve witnessed young children swearing. Fortunately, I’m not in a place where that’s commonplace and expected.

I know a few Christians who swear, but not many. I deliberately don’t swear, and I’m not a Mormon.

I read it every so often when I am tired to death of sex scenes in novels. Actually, Bill Myers is really good anyway. He’s funny and NORMAL.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2009

Of course, back then, not a swear word.

Jeez, get over yourself, Yank. :P It’s not now in Britain. Where Narnia was written. Ass = donkey.

lol. But ‘ass’ outside of America isn’t a swearword. It just makes you sound like you’re trying to say a*se in an American accent, and that just makes you sound stupid if you’re not American in the first place.

Well that’s another thing about limiting the swearing in your novel.

To make translations easier and to help it cross borders easier.

Jeez, get over yourself, Yank. :P It’s not now in Britain. Where Narnia was written. Ass = donkey.

Well I’m not up on the royalists’ current colloquialisms so I was hedging my beet. Ass == donkey (and bum for some reason) here too and it wasn’t always a swear in America either.

Lol, for some reason, Nate saying ‘bum’ just made me crack up.

Ahem. Anyway.

I like to image that, even being an evil overlord, I have a sense of humor.

It’s important to help your minions laugh. XD

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

I see you graduated from the Joker School of Supervillainy.

Well he has some good policies. =D

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2009 edited

It’s important to help your minions laugh. XD

Same for heroes. It makes catching them off guard so much easier. :3

Going back on topic, for a long while, I’ve been having an itch to write a decent Christian fiction story, mainly because most of what’s out there nowadays is complete and utter drivel. Honestly, I can’t think of a recently published Christian fiction that has been decent. Anyway, this desire to write Christian fiction “right” has been leaking into all my stories recently, some more obviously than others (one of them actually involves a conversation with God…). The ironic thing is that I’m hardly a conventional Christian (You know them Moonies? I’m one). Even then, I’m not about to flinch away from the ugliness in the world, and I will write about that ugliness even as I make those characters that are most un-Godlike sympathetic. Would my writings, if they ever get published, be banned and ragged upon by most Christians? Probably. So why do I do it?

The way I see it, people are people. Supposedly everyone is a child of God regardless of race, creed, or religion, and He loves them unconditionally. Supposedly all the people in the world are brothers and sisters, and we should all love one another as such. But we don’t. How can we love someone who does such horrible things like rape and murder? How can we love people with such completely opposite beliefs and lifestyles than ours? How can we love others at all? By understanding them. And that’s why I write about the ugliness, so that others can come to understand why those ugly people act the way they do, so that they can sympathize with those ugly people treat them as people rather than condemn them as evil. In order to understand them, we have to know where they came from, what their beliefs are, and why they act the way they do.

You could say that the one recurring theme in all my writing is that people are people, and that is because, deep down, that is my main reason for writing: to show all my readers that, regardless of any differences, people are still people and deserve to be treated as such.

/tucks away soapbox

I know a few Christians who swear, but not many.

I know a lot actually. I swear, but only moderately so, and usually under my breath. I don’t say certain things though, even if they could be considered “less vulgar” than what I do say.

Okay, I tried to look up what a “Moonie” is, but I’m still confused. What exactly do you believe, Kyllorac? Just curious.

So, has anyone read any good Christian books that aren’t like most of what’s out there?

So, has anyone read any good Christian books that aren’t like most of what’s out there?

Well, anything by Lewis, Tolkien and Rowling I recommend.

There are some nonfiction Christians works I recommend (but whisper me if curious, they are DEFINITE flame bait) but I tend to stay away from a lot of “christian” fiction. Mostly it’s usually either 1) not a book that interests me or 2) too derivative of something else already.

I still need to read LotR. I think I will read it after I read finish the book that I’m on and after this other one that I’ve already bought.

I, of course, HAVE to recommend George MacDonald BECAUSE HE IS THE GRANDFATHER OF FANTASY, IS TOTALLY AWESOME, MIND BLOWING AND DOESN’T GET A FRACTION OF THE RECOGNITION HE DESERVES.

Ahem

Just out of cuirousity… anyone here hate Left Behind series?

I’ve never read Left Behind, but I did thoroughly enjoy the Slacktivist recaps of it.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I read like three chapters of the first one, and was like “...OK, this is both inaccurate and annoying, I’m done now.”

The Dragons in our Midst series was interesting, but bogged down with less-than-the-best writing and too much Anviliciousness, at least for non-Christians who read the series.

I’ve never read Left Behind, but I did thoroughly enjoy the Slacktivist recaps of it.

Though by book 2 Slacktivist starts to suffer from Mark syndrome and letting too much of his personal views color the commentary.

I actually stopped after the first book, so I didn’t run into that.

indeed you are wise sansafro.

I’ve never had a desire to read those because the “end of days” stuff scares/depresses me terribly.

I made it through the whole series (except for Glorious Appearing, which came out by the time I was old enough to know better.)

I hated Tim LaHaye’s other series, you know the one with the Archeologist. Was it Babylon Rising?
    Anyway, I gave up after four books because everybody kept dying and it was just depressing and it was TRASH.

Angela Ewell Hunt’s The Immortal is possibly the best Christian book I’ve ever read. You know the legend of the wandering Jew? Well it deals with that from a Christian perspective. And it has a happyish ending. I recommend it. It was amazing.

And Kyllorac? Is there room on that soapbox for two?

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2009

Christian writing doesn't mean the story has to turn into a sermon. If that's your avenue, there's a way to weave faith into it the same way aspects such as romance, revenge, and everyday redemption. My advice to someone wanting to write a Christian-oriented story, but afraid to do so, would be to remember where your focus lies. Don't get preachy by way of breaking the fourth wall or something similar. There's nothing wrong with presenting your faith. Just remember that, if you're presenting your work as fiction, it's generally going to be labeled as 'entertainment', so it'd be best to keep preaching directed toward your characters and not your reader. There's a whole separate genre for books that speak directly to a reader, especially on a personal or spiritual level.

As for Christians writing stories, I don't see how writing something that doesn't focus on God would make it an abomination. Work it into your style, and make sure you understand why you permit or prohibit yourself from doing certain things (as you should with _any_ type of faith). I don't believe the best writers are the ones that have absolutely no restraint on what they write or how they write it, but I also don't think everything needs to be tethered down to cater to a toddler group. Writing prose is a principled process, whether its influenced by religion or not. Know what you're writing and what it requires.

If you're focused and principled in your approach, you can write a stellar story that'll garner a huge readership, and you can do it without ever once betraying your personal standards.