Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2010

Of course I do.

That’s if you want to critique it properly.

CP has explicitly said he made the reference in both the book and newsletters. He has made it no secret, and it has previously been well talked about for almost two years now.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Oh yes, if I ever critique it I’ll go back and read it a few times. I’ll admit the first time I read Brisingr I didn’t read it very throughly, so I completely and absolutely missed it.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

It was somewhat subtle within the text itself, however, his Author’s Notes bit at the beginning was Decidedly Unsubtle and Explicit.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Oh, I didn’t even read the author’s notes.

Apparently Christopher Paolini was at Comic-con. An acquaintance of mine met him.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2010

Yeah, kippurbird did an excellent update at the AS lj: http://community.livejournal.com/antishurtugal/552579.html

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2010

Christopher is enjoying the Starwars game at Random House’s Prima Games booth

That was Tweeted, Twatted, Twitted, whatever you want to call it, from Comic Con.

I didn’t see this listed before. Anyway, in my continuing effort to archive the internet, the Literary Critic tears apart Eragon. (some crude jokes and foul language ahead – NSFW)

Part 2

I don’t recall if this was posted before, but here’s a great post on stuff Eragon’s ripped off and it includes some things that even II has missed.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2010 edited

it includes some things that even II has missed.

Only because they were originally posted on AS. :|

Edit: it’s reminded me of Krim’s old post on the AS lj: http://community.livejournal.com/antishurtugal/253464.html

kippurbird finally finished her spork of Brisingr after like 2 years and it feels like I have strenuously read the book with her when I haven’t, I just know pretty much everything there is to know about it without actually reading it. But there’s no relief because book 4 is still coming. And she’s likely going to take several years to finish that, too. So I’m not sure if I care anymore. It will probably be better to read a reasonably detailed summary than a spork of every chapter.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2010

Swankivy’s still working on her essay, so there’s still that to look forward to.

Who is Swankivy and what essay?

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2010

She’s a professional editor who wrote two absolutely brilliant essays about Inheritance, one for Eragon and one for Eldest, ands is working on an absolute doozy of an essay on Brisingr.

Look here. Read both, and then the comments and replies. Absolutely hilarious,. and seriously thought-provoking.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2011 edited

I wonder how much excitement there will be. Mayby it will stir things up a little, could be entertaining.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2011

Barnes and Noble sent me an email because: “Based upon your previous purchases, we thought you’d love to know about the highly anticipated finale to Christopher Paolini’s Inheritence Cycle fantasy series.

I hope they’re just spamming everyone, or at least not just me, because I’d hate to know what on earth I’d bought there that would translate to ‘young adult fantasy series’ since I usually just shop the clearance racks. (Just another way that ‘personalized’ emails backfire.)

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2011 edited

Oh trust me, there’s excitement. The Shurty site has been down more often than it’s up today with all the traffic. And the less-loved parts of the site have been pretty much just down continuously.

Have to say, I’m particularly underwhelmed by the title. Everyone waits with, ahem, anticipation and whatnot for this big title announcement, and that’s the best you can come up with?

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2011

I genuinely think he should have stuck with the naming theme everyone was expecting. Heck, who cares if the fans have guessed the title as well – just call the book Empire.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2011 edited

And, to be honest, Empire wouldn’t have been a half-bad name, except for the whole Brisingr thing messing up the naming scheme in the middle. I still think he could’ve come up with another 6-letter E word to name Book 3, how hard would it be? Eldest was a massive stretch anyway, so it’s not like there wasn’t a precedent for titles that don’t quite fit.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Hey, swenson, what’s happened to IF? It keeps redirecting to Shurtugal.

I still think he could’ve come up with another 6-letter E word to name Book 3, how hard would it be?

I didn’t notice that the first two were six letters… hmm. Anyway, I also thought that he should have kept with the E-theme. Inheritance is a very underwhelming name. If it were the first book, it might be okay (a la Twilight of the Twilight Saga). As the last one, I don’t particularly care for it.

•  
      CommentAuthorOldArnold

I'm not sure if I will read the fourth book or not or even buy it. I still have the 3rd book on my shelf to read. I tried doing so before, but there was something in it that made me close it for a while. I can't remember what it was though.

I’m definitely reading the fourth book. Too late to stop now, people.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2011 edited

As far as I can tell, the entire site is still swamped with people coming to see the news on the main page, so both IF and the fanfiction part have been down almost continuously. Yesterday I was able to get on briefly, but then it went back down. Not sure when it’ll be back up, either.

I have to say, I’m kinda surprised. I didn’t really expect that it would be this big of a deal. I mean, I know people still like Inheritance, but… I dunno. I didn’t expect it to be that big.

Or maybe Shurty’s servers just aren’t all that great, I dunno.

I guess there was just nothing to do until the news of a fourth book. It honestly doesn’t seem like there was much to discuss about it.

Not like Twilight, where you can analyse everything to death and then do it all over again because it’s fun to bang your head against a keyboard. Inheritance… once you’ve read one or two critics, you’ve read them all and it’s no longer funny.

Or maybe that’s just me.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

I tried doing so before, but there was something in it that made me close it for a while. I can’t remember what it was though.

I know what it was. “Brisingr, by Christopher Paolini”

:shouts into microphone: NEXT!

I didn’t notice that the first two were six letters… hmm. Anyway, I also thought that he should have kept with the E-theme. Inheritance is a very underwhelming name. If it were the first book, it might be okay (a la Twilight of the Twilight Saga). As the last one, I don’t particularly care for it.

Neither did I. It should have been… hmm….

Eragon
    Eldest
    Evolve
    Empire

Evolve sounds too scientific…Maybe

Eragon
    Eldest
    Empire
    End

Or

Eragon
    Eldest
    Empire

And then he, you know, edits it down so that it’s a trilogy like he said it would be.

Evolve sounds too scientific…Maybe

I agree. And it would be amusing if the last book was call End. The last Unfortunate Events book is called The End.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2011

Since he’s already written most of the fourth book, hge should have called them

Eragon,
    Eldest,
    Empire, and
    Enough!

Loving these!

(I could only think of evolve because I had his elf change in mind and don’t know much of anything – really – about book 3)

Ok, confession time everyone…

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2011 edited

Yeah, we get that it’s , but you

Well the truth is…

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2011

•  
      CommentAuthorEbelean
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2011

I’m in charge of my school library’s book review blog, so I edit all the reviews for the blog. Guess which book review was such a grammatical nightmare that I had to pretty much completely rewrite it?

@Nate

Reading that makes me wish even more that we had the Anti-Shurtugal articles. They were such lovely compressions of what was wrong with the books.

@Ebelean:

Maradonia?

•  
      CommentAuthorEbelean
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2011

@Nate:
    Okay, I walked right into that one. But no.

•  
      CommentAuthorCurly
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2011 edited

Oh, I thought the insinuation was Inheritance, being that this is the Inheritance thread.
    Hmm

@Curly:
    That’s what made my joke funnier! XD

•  
      CommentAuthorCurly
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2011

Oh indeed it was fragjously excellent, both amusing and instructive.

The funniest thing you’ll read all day.

Please, :“foxypope wrote in antishurtugal, “
    Hardy an unbiased review then.

source

It’s funny how much Chuck’s complaints about the Baku in ST:9 fit Paolini’s elves…

1 photon torpedo…

(he outright calls them elves in part 2)

• CommentAuthorMorvius
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2011

The chapter King Cat was surprisingly decent. Except for a few parts. And Nasuada insulting the leader of the were-cats by using Eragon's joke. And is it just me or everyone wants revenge on Galbatorix for some obscure reason?

And is it just me or everyone wants revenge on Galbatorix for some obscure reason?

Because he’s EEEEEEEEEVIL! Geez, Morvius, get with the program.

Welcome back to the forums, by the way!

• CommentAuthorMorvius
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2011

Been busy. Well having to serve 2 years of National Service. Have you guys seen the excerpt? I thought his sample chapter, King Cat was decent (not filled with awkward phrasing) but the excerpt had this:

"The sound was stabbing, slicing, shivering, like metal scraping against stone. Eragon’s teeth vibrated in sympathy, and he covered his ears with his hands, grimacing as he twisted around, trying to locate the source of the noise."
    •  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2011

I think it’s not that bad. It’s just that “sympathy” is entirely the wrong word.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2011

^^True. Although the “stabbing, slicing, shivering” kind of bothers me, mostly the stabbing part, since it’s “metal against stone”. Otherwise the shivering is kind of good…he just buries it under too many other words.

But it’s just one sentence, and I haven’t even read any of these books.

I didnt like the chapter purely because I hate the entire concept of werecats, their place in the story, them predicting stuff, and the lameness of them asking for liver and other crap cats like in return for their alliance. Or at least that’s what I remember happening.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2011 edited

happycrab, at least they didn’t ask for cream and scratching posts.

Or did they? I can’t quite remember.

Although thinking of it, negotiations with a cat-people which included “and a little fuzzy mouse toy on a spring for each of the commanders” would be hilarious.

• CommentAuthorMorvius

Eragon joked about giving them cream and Nasuada actually offered them such. King Cat just shrugged it off, saying that they are not kittens but I would think that a race of highly intelligent (presumably) and seemingly prickly race would get highly offended instead of just shrugging it off.

Yeah, the problem with that sentence is that he puts in to many other words. I'd think telling us the sound was like metal scraping against stone (and maybe leaving in shivering) would more than suffice.

Anyway I guess since this is his last book in the cycle, there would be a sense of focus in this one. Unlike Brisingr.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

Anyway I guess since this is his last book in the cycle, there would be a sense of focus in this one. Unlike Brisingr.

One would hope. Although with the myriad of plot threads he’s left open, I think it’ll read more like a disconnected mad rush around trying to finish everything in the space of one book. Which was what Brisingr turned into, but he’s still left so much that needs to be concluded. The final book of a series should be its crescendo and climax, not still halfway through the story with at least two major characters still to be introduced.

Although thinking of it, negotiations with a cat-people which included “and a little fuzzy mouse toy on a spring for each of the commanders” would be hilarious.

Someone needs to write a parody of Inheritence with that in it right now! Or you know, when the book is actually out…

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

Although I think Futurama already did that with the Nibbler-people.

Woo 72 days till the last book as of me writing this. And his website has a trailer for the book. How…. pointless. And I watched the video of him finishing the book, which had to have been set up. Not to be mean or anything but I wonder what his editor truly thinks of the series as a whole or the individual books namely Brisingr and Inheritance depending on how good or bad it actually is. Obviously she knows it’s going to sell well no matter what so she must not care that much.

It’s real?

I just realized something:

TIC is actually retelling of the saga of GNR: Eragon is really an allegory of Axl Rose and Roran's really Izzy Straidlin and Saphira's Duff Mackagan and Orik's Matt Sorum and all the weird/stuff that doesn't make sense is either an allegory of events that involved GNR and/or one of the member's drug trips/drinking binges!

It all makes sense now!

I just realised what you would’ve written had Inheritance still been a trilogy…

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2011

If I’m not mistaken the new book comes out in 4 days.

HOLEY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

And I thought 72 days was close to the release when I made a post 68 days ago. How exactly does a book coming out get publicity? I’ve heard nothing about it and I wonder who still genuinely cares about it. When book 3 came out I remember seeing a few people reading it. I was at the finals of Rock Eisteddfod because I was in stage crew and one of my teammates was reading it at the entertainment centre. So I harassed him.

... Well I look forward to the sporks and such.

•  
      CommentAuthorFell_Blade

I keep seeing posters and adds for this thing all over the place when I go in town.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

Wow. I totally forgot that.

Then again, since Boarders closed down, the nearest book store is about a half hour or more away. Even so, I don’t remember seeing any advertising for it.

Well maybe it’s advertised more in the US. Or I don’t walk around book stores enough. A lot of books stores are closing down or doing pretty badly. Yay for the internet!

•  
      CommentAuthorFell_Blade

There are posters and stuff all over the place when I go to town. Like in Walmart and Target and bookstores in the mall. And then Amazon has been advertising it like crazy.

•  
      CommentAuthorFalling
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2011

Woah, has Shurtugal and Inheritance Forums been knocked offline? Perhaps this book will give that forum one last shot in the arm to keep it energized for awhile.
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Yep, pretty much. The main site is up most of the time, I think, but woe to you if you’re trying to go anywhere else on the site.

•  
      CommentAuthorRorschach

Despite the fact that it isn’t released until tomorrow, I received my copy in the mail today.

•  
      CommentAuthorFell_Blade

And here we go… let’s see what Paolini has for us. =/

•  
      CommentAuthorRorschach

Just reading the first chapter has made me really, really want to spork this book.

Not sure if I should, though.

It’s that bad already? I really hope kippurbird continues her sporks and does them reasonably quickly, but she hasn’t seemed to have said anything about it since like April.

•  
      CommentAuthorFalling

Oh, I would love a good spork. I haven't read Brinsgr yet, but I feel like have from Kippur's detailed spork. By the way, I've never understood where the term 'sporking' comes from.
    •  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

You would if you’d read my article!

utterly shameless plug

I feel like I’ve read them all thanks to her, too. I’ve actually been bothering to check the count down timer on alagaysia.com and i swear the counter keeps going up. At one point it was 8 hours. Then 1 day 8 hours, now 1 day 16 hours. Say whaaaaaaa?

•  
      CommentAuthorWulfRitter
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2011 edited

I feel like I’ve read them all thanks to her, too.

This. I couldn’t make it through that first book waste of trees, but those sporks make everything so much better.

I've tried to like Eragon. I really have. But I can't. Why? It's simply mind-numbingly boring. I read the first third of the ebook a few years ago and was just SO BORED. Practically nothing happened. I've recently tried listening to the audio book (which is hilarious, by the way, if simply for Saphira's voice) and I've realised that I can phase out entirely and miss whole chapters from my attention span. It simply isn't gripping - at all.

I'm going to trudge through the audio book, if not to simply say that I have in fact read/listened to Eragon in its entirety, so I can have a valid reason to dislike it. While all of the usual problems of Eragon are obvious (the near-plagiarism and purple prose), the fact that it's boring annoys me the most.

Having ... 'borrowed' ideas from other fantasy greats and piling them into one story could have yielded something very exciting ... but no ... It's just boring. It COULD have been exciting in the hands of a better author. But to me that's where Eragon falls flat. For the simple fact I could not care about anything that happens to the characters or the plot.

It's just beige.

Nobody is going to hate you for this, Josh.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2011

Ooh, so if Eragon’s beige, and Harry Potter is gold, and aSoIaF is silver and blood-colored [no idea why], what else?

Twilight is purple.

Discworld is Octarine.

^Niiiiiiiice.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2011

^Veeeeeeeery nice.
    LOTR is green. Dark green.

Mmm, that’s what I always thought.

LOTR is green. Dark green.

Agreed.

Yeah, I would say ASOIAF is scarlet and brown- blood and dirt. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

Maradonia is pale green with bits of carrot orange in it.

winces graphically put, Blue.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

I really like that nickname.

Funny story: I posted that from my phone and didn’t want to go through the hassle of writing ‘BlueMask’.

However, it is a cool nickname, one I felt sure you’d like.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2011

Can I call you Bloo and picture you as a female version of that dude from Foster’s Home for Imaginary Friends?

didn’t want to go through the hassle of writing ‘BlueMask’

Someone actually typed out Romantic Vampire Lover the other day. I cringed. That’ll, like, give you carpal tunnel or something.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2011

Inky- sure, If you explain a bit about the character…
    I abbreviate everything . I hate typing long names out.

bq. I just realised what you would’ve written had Inheritance still been a trilogy…

@ Steph. 'Twould be awesome, would it not?

Twould indeed, good sir.

bq. Twould indeed, good sir.

"We don't talk about Eragon here, if you wanna talk about Eragon, go ask Eragon." :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorFell_Blade
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2012

I was thinking the other day…wouldn’t it be interesting to see a coming-of-age story (like Eragon) where the main character really thought that he wanted to be a hero and could handle the battles and all that, but then when he (or she) got into that situation and it scared the crap out of them and they spend the rest of the story overcoming that fear? I’m not talking about a reluctant hero, or a character who comes to a “war-is-evul” revelation, but someone who has a natural reaction to horrifying situation and develops and grows because of it. The Hunger Games attempted something like this, but I thought Katniss came off as a selfish, naive little kid instead of someone who was really dealing with fear and learning to live with it (but maybe I’m wrong).

•  
      CommentAuthorWulfRitter

^ This would be a book well worth reading. It would also be one well worth writing if I thought I could handle the subtleties of emotion with the proper proficiency.

• CommentAuthorWrestler

Fell_Blade: I'm trying to write something like that...but I never have time.

where the main character really thought that he wanted to be a hero and could handle the battles and all that, but then when he (or she) got into that situation and it scared the crap out of them and they spend the rest of the story overcoming that fear

This is something along the lines of what my main character develops. Granted, after the battle in question, she never ends up going back, but it sets off significant changes in terms of coming to terms with things she’d previously ignored.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2012 edited

That reminds me of an implied sub-plot in the Obernewtyn Chronicles. It’s only implied because it’s an internal struggle seen from the first-person POV of a different character, but the character Gahltha, who is very proud, disdainful of weakness, and especially hateful of humans, struggles for years to overcome his fear of water after he is unable to board a river raft in a storm in order to escape the hunters. He mellows considerable with regard hi disdain for weakness and humans, largely because he was exposed to and humbled by his own weakness, but it’s a really fascinating sub-story that simmers underneath the main story, and it re-emerges in little places where his actions imply that he’s still struggling with it, but he’s still a little too proud to actually talk about it. I thought it added so much to the story in terms of characterisation and emotional realism. The fact that it’s seen from an outsider’s viewpoint just makes it seem so much deeper and more complex than we are shown.