Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2009 edited

o.O

Paolini is now 26 years old. It’s been over 10 years since Eragon was concieved. Ten long, spirit-crushing years.

And to think, if he’d spent all that time actually developing his story… well, Anti-Shurtugal might no have had such a strong argument, and there might have been a shred of logic in the books somewhere.

ETA:

It’s hard to believe that Christopher Paolini sat down as a teenager over ten years ago and began what would become one of the most beloved fantasy novels of our generation...His hard word, dedication, and imagination has shown even society’s most stubborn that a person’s age no longer dictates one’s accomplishments.

Point the first: throws up

Point the second: Age may not dictate accomplishments, but it still correlates strongly with talent, experience and ability.

Point the third: “imagination”? I’m sorry, I think you mean the combined imaginations of Lucas, Tolkien, LeGuin, McCaffrey, Nix, et al…

Point the fourth: throws up again

I now have so much more beef with Pao Pao – apparently, in Brisingr Deluxe, dwarves KILL HAWKS so that they can use their TAILFEATHERS as QUILLS.

takes a deep breath

The Empress does not approve.

She actually went into something of a Hulk rage.

I am not going to rant much, just say that using TAILFEATHERS for quills is the most retarded thing you can do. For those of you who never had such feather in their hand – the shape of the quill in a tailfeather is actually quite suitable if you are thinking securely anchoring the most important steering mechanism the bird has. However, if try to hold it like a pen, you will get cramps in your hand because it is not shaped very well for that. So primary flight feathers, in oter words these:

picture does not belong to me.

Anyways, these are much more suitable. Friendly advice, Paolini – if you are going to write about something, research it first And I do not mean in the Lobachevsky sense of the word.

And there is a way of getting feathers without actually having to kill a hawk – try looking for molted feathers. Because birds do this little thing every summer – they lose old, flight – worn feathers and grow new ones instead. This with most species coincides with breeding season so if you find a nest, chances are there will be feathers beneath it. Even if that does not work, contact a falconer. We usually keep old feathers for feather repairs if something happens, but I am sure that i you are nice and polite, they will be willing to part with one or three. I think there would be falconers around in Algae since now the Riders are gone and there are no dragons left to harass, scare and kill the birds.

rant over

If I’m the only one here who regularly watches South Park, I apologize for the obscure reference.

No, no you are not. Now pardon me, I’m going to go dancing with smurfs.

hey, I am bike – curious and I find that offensive XD

[sigh] I love you. ;-)

Anyways, these are much more suitable. Friendly advice, Paolini – if you are going to write about something, research it first And I do not mean in the Lobachevsky sense of the word.

Or you mean, don’t be a Dan Brown?

Yay me, I read the whole thread, all 103 posts of it – and understood it.

It’s official. I have assimilated seamlessly into the cast of kooky characters craving bountiful books born worthy of our worldly wit.

Yes, some of that alliteration was contrived after the word “characters,” yes.

On the subject of his birthday, I love how he is almost thirty and still writes with the mentality of a teenager writing crossover fanfiction.

[sigh] I love you. ;-)

get in line XD

Or you mean, don’t be a Dan Brown?

haha oh i wonder how the guy feels about his name becoming a verb, on TVTropes nonetheless, lol. WIN.

also – SA – YAY NERDAGE!!! :D

get in line XD

I am apparently number… [glances at ticket] 143.

And don’t get me started on Paolini’s “fight” scenes.

And don’t get me started on Paolini’s ‘characters (each of which is clay model with lines and lines to speak, with actions to do… wasted of clay, much?)

@lala citizen

That’s why I (again) disagreed with Mark on his rant here.

Um. What. What. What. What. These are characters. They are not sentient beings.

No, that’s how Paolini writes characters. Even if Meyer is doing it poorly, she’s at least TRYING to make them semi-real. Bad writers treat their characters as means to an end. Good writers see their characters as real people. Great writers convince everyone else that the characters are real.

Heeha, that was a nice read

I like characters with depth, and I’ve noticed that more I write/think about a story the more connected I feel to the characters (this feels unexpectedly weird in a way, though)

Also, I’d like to say that PaoPao’s books have no, well… atmosphere, or soul
    i love it when a story/novel/media has some unique atmosphere which makes it interesting and captivating for the first bit, and when you return for the sequel its like returning to something familiar… Nothing in Inheritance really has anything like that , the world is stale and the characters bland (food references much, hmmm…)

PaoPao seems to have thought out roles in the story, then filled it with an appropriate characters ( i honestly hate this approach)

On another note this Purple line seems to stab my brain over and over:
    “Through the sheer power of will Eragon stood up.” (Add more purpling, use thesaurus and you’ll get the excerpt)
    I hates it when MCs triumph through sheer power of willpower >_<

Eragon groaned and elevated himself to his feet, gasping as he did so. Only his strength of mind kept him standing fully erect.

Oh dear. I think that might actually be semi-passable.

That was terrible..in a good way…

Oh dear. I think that might actually be semi-passable.

I think it might’ve been…
    Juniper, you’re not alone in your dirty thoughts. ;)

Glad to hear I’m not the only sicko.

Eragon healing Arya was always my favorite scene. Let me see if I can dig up the quote… Ah, got it!

Although he tried to preserve the elf’s modesty, he could not help but notice that underneath the disfiguring marks, her body was exceptionally beautiful. He was exhausted and did not dwell on it— though his ears turned red at times, and he fervently hoped that Saphira did not know what he was thinking.

Hee hee hee!

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2009

It’s funny how he won’t let Murtagh treat Arya.

“My elf! MINE! I stole her, my precious! YOU CAN’T TOUCH HER!”

Eragon groaned and elevated himself to his feet, gasping as he did so. Only his strength of mind kept him standing fully erect.

What we do not know is that, in the first draft, this sentence came immediately after the, er, “bruise” comparing scene, which was originally in the first book after the fight with Brom and the sticks.

snickers

Yes, Inheritance is jam-packed with unintentional(?) homoerotic innuendo. It is known.

Dang. I knew I should not have included ‘groaned’ and ‘erect’ in the same general vicinity.

At least it sounds like the real thing…

Is it strange that i tend to enjoy quietly face-palming at people who hail Inheritance as a book of pure genius and creativity?
    (well, we all now that there is NOTHING original in the series… hey, why don’t we try to note anything that has a single taint of originality in the series? it’ll be tough but someone’s bound to find something sooner or later. i highly doubt we’ll find much, if anything )

(How about those naked elf women who performed the Deus ex Machina?)

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2009 edited

Pretty standard, as dancing naked elf women go.

And I’m sure I’ve seen at least something of the sort somewhere before.

Same here, naked dancing elves are a commonplace

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2009

I have found a thing.
    Publishing books of speculation, now? That’s what the internet is for!

can you imagine somebody thought that was the actual book in the series? I mean, would you consider something titled “Eragon 4” to be a part of the same cycle where previous volumes are called “Eldest” and “Brisingr” ?

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Publishing books of speculation, now? That’s what the internet is for!

To be fair, they did it for Harry Potter.

To be even more fair, Harry Potter was complex enough to warrant it.

And well… I bought it.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Wait, Harry Potter or Inheritance?

Please be the former.

That book actually looks mildly interesting… ;)

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2009

Could be a good sporking target, like that book of Inheritance-based essays.

That is all

the truth unleashed

You can’t argue science!

Thanks for that, Nate. :D

An appropriate quote:

[W]hose fantasy novel was published when he was only fourteen years old, it was said, ‘a quite amazing achievement’; but ‘On the other hand there is no reason why your next book should not be at least twice as good,’

The above quote pretty much summarizes ‘why’ Pao’s books don’t receive the love they do not deserve
    (Contradicting myself in what i type is fun)

:S sorry if my english seems broken/choppy, been doing mathematics for 5 hours straight so my brain’s all fuzzy wuzzy

Then just put up a mathematical proof of your point if you have to. XD

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2010

http://www.shurtugal.com/

Shurtugal is down, apparently. I think I found my new favorite pic:

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2010

I’ve been wondering where it got to.

•  
      CommentAuthorarska
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2010

:D
    Alright, I had my crappy fanfiction there and got paranoid until I tracked a user to her youtube, but have emerged from this travesty (!) unscathed. :D Thank you for your concern ;D

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2010

A sneak peek Chapter of Eragon book 4 has been released. But to get that sneak peek you have to buy a paperback version of Brisingir. The 4th book is called “King Cat”. I’m guessing that weird cat thingymubub who’s name I can’t remember is going to get Speshul Powars™.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

“King Cat”? How unexpected. Will the Mogget rip-off overthrow Galbatorix, then?

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

That would be an interresting twist. Ooo! Or better yet, the Mogget rip-off is Galbatorix!

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I do have to say PaoPao got one thing right: The Title. I prefer titles that I can spell, thankyouverymuch.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

Is it really an issue of spelling, or being able to pronounce it? Not that it matters either way. There are reasons certain letter combinations don’t exist.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

ufsgbuisrbgjkf I say! D:<

Wait, King Cat is the title of the whole book? Incongruity much? I mean, you have Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr...and then King Cat?

I might be making too much out of this, but I like to have at least a sense of fit with series titles.

King Cat sounds more like an oversized picture-book. If only….if only

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

King Cat is only the title of the chapter, not the book entire.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Ahhh, that would make more sense. Plus, knowing PaoPao it will probably be something along the lines of “Eragon and Arya Shadeslayer, conquerors of the Evil King Galbatorix!!!”

@ Taku: Yeah, that’s what I originally thought, but they way everyone was talking about it, I thought it was the entire book. I heard that Paolini would be calling the fourth book ‘Empire’.

•  
      CommentAuthorAdamPottle
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2010

King Cat is actually pretty sweet compared to the previous book’s title.

Dude, it’s going to be called Empire. Remember?

I’d buy that shit in a heartbeat if it was really called King Cat, just for the sheer bizarre incongruity.

•  
      CommentAuthorZombie Devin
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2010 edited

Interestingly enough, I just started a book called King Rat.

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2010

Which in turns makes me think of King Bat.

True stuff.

Pao-pao said in an interview that one of his chapters for the fourth book is entitled “BRAINS!”
    o.O
    He also said that there are (unfortunately) no zombies in the book.
    D:

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

On April 13th, the Inheritance Cycle’s American publisher released Brisingr in paperback, and accompanying the story would be our first glimpse at Book 4: the book’s fourth chapter, “King Cat”. This is big news for us Inheritance fans because it means that progress is being made on Book 4. No longer do we have to wait in agony for Book 4 news!

In this editorial, we’re going to explore what we learned in this chapter (though very vaguely as to not spoil it for those who have yet to read the chapter), what questions this chapter has raised, and most importantly, what the release of this chapter could potentially mean for Book 4. Our goal is to spark creative discussion, theorizing, and understanding of the chapter and what it means for Book 4 and our favorite characters. Keep reading!
    What have we learned from this chapter?

* Book 4 will begin with a battle!

* Angela is still very, very mysterious. Perhaps even more so!

* Angela has even more enemies. Shocker! (See below)

* We have encountered a new king

* Werecats continue to be absurdly mysterious and unpredictable

What questions has this chapter raised?

* Who or what the heck is Angela?!

* Why do the werecats hate Angela?

* Which battle did the Varden just fight in?

* Who is Lord Bradburn?

* What kind of difference will the werecats make as allies?

* Can the werecats truly be trusted?

* What took the werecats so long?

* How many werecats are there under their king’s command?

* What are the “Lonely Places”? What are the “Night Reaches”? And why does Grimrr “Walk Alone”?

What was notably missing?

* A certain green egg.

What ideas should we definitely explore?

* The importance of Angela is now almost undeniable. The herbalist has made all kinds of crazy claims, has demonstrated powers of significance, is a formidable opponent in physical combat, appears ageless, has many interesting friends and enemies, and knows far too much. Who is she? What is she? How old is she? What role is she going to play in the final battles?

* What exactly are the werecats capable of? We’ve seen Solembum fight on the battlefield and prophesize important events in certain individuals’ futures. Are all werecats prophets? Do some werecats have separate abilities we have not yet seen? How large are their numbers? Christopher teased the importance of werecats in Book 4 in previous interviews – is this all he was referring to, or will there be more?

• What battle happened before this chapter? Were the Varden able to capture another Empire city, or did they fall under siege by Galbatorix’s army? Is Lord Bradburn an ally or enemy, perhaps leader of the town they just captured?

* Four chapters in, has anything happened with the final egg? There was not even a single hint or mention of it, so it’s safe to bq. assume that at this point in the book, the egg is not with the Varden or their allies…

What does the release of this chapter mean for Book 4’s title, cover, and release date?

Let’s start with the obvious: Book 4 is clearly further along now than it was back when the deluxe edition of Brisingr was released in November. Christopher was confident enough in the solidity of the plot that this chapter could be released without the worry of having to change plot going forward.

As for the more uncertain aspects: this means that Book 4 is getting closer, but it in no way means that Book 4 is right around the corner. Do not expect a summer 2010 release for this book. Going off of past timelines with the Cycle, we are willing to guess that a title and cover are creeping up on us. Whether or not a release date will be bundled with a cover and title announcement is not clear. When these announcements will be made is also unclear.

So what now?

We sit and wait. And we have a blast dissecting this new chapter for any hidden meanings, developing new theories based off of what we’ve learned, debating these theories with our friends, and possibly debunking other theories we had that were proven false. One thing is for certain: Book 4 is coming and it looks like it’s going to be sweet.

Shur’tugal is going to be running a series of editorials centered around the community’s favorite and most mysterious theories. We’ll explore and conquer subjects such as “who the heck is Angela?!”, the new “werecat dilemma”, the “Green Rider”, and more. Keep an eye out on the website in the coming months for these editorials!

DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

It would be nice if the important events and people weren’t quite so obvious.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

This series is so half-assed. Paolini is attempting to make up for all the accusations of plagiarism and the derivative nature of his books by coming up with the most batshit insane ideas ever. Blue furries, talking werecats, lesbian dragon dancers… I would have preferred if Paolini had stuck to ripping off of Lord of the Rings and Star Wars. At least that can be enjoyable without making me want to squirm in my chair from being so uncomfortable.

He should have either stuck to the archetypal fantasy setting of Elves, Dwarves, and Dragons then tried to write his way out of the criticism by coming up with a good plot, or he should have come out with the crazier things in his first book. I think he could have been successful had he stuck to the first option [See: Terry Brooks and any number of other medieval fantasy writers – although they all have pretty boring plots and rip-off stories], because with this crazy plot he’s just driving off the fans who liked the first book. Also he needs to write faster. His popularity is sinking faster than your mom in an ocean.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

YOUR MOM IS SO THIN

INDEED

The importance of Angela is now almost undeniable. The herbalist has made all kinds of crazy claims, has demonstrated powers of significance, is a formidable opponent in physical combat, appears ageless, has many interesting friends and enemies, and knows far too much. Who is she? What is she? How old is she? What role is she going to play in the final battles?

If Angela turns out to be Galbatorix, I take back everything I said about this series.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

Actually… I kind of agree with Nate. :D I would heap nothing but praise onto Paolini.

But what if Angela turns out to be Galbatorix who is really the devil?

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

Wow, Puppet. Well, let’s get crackin’

• Book 4 will begin with a battle!

But will it make any sense? Paopao’s already proven he knows less about military strategy as a slug knows about astrophysics.

• Angela is still very, very mysterious. Perhaps even more so!

Is she mysterious, or just weird? All I remember about her is that she doesn’t believe toads exist, so I’m going with the later.

• We have encountered a new king

Baised solely on the title of the chapter, I could figure that out.

• Who or what the heck is Angela?!

More importantly, why should I care?

• What are the “Lonely Places”? What are the “Night Reaches”? And why does Grimrr “Walk Alone”?

Knowing Paopao, the answers are probably lamer than you think.

Solembum

Nothing to say about this, just remembering that his name means “Serious Ass.” And that is hilarious.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

Puppet didn’t write that, you know. That’s from the Shurtugal website.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2010

Is the sample chapter online anywhere? I don’t feel like buying another Brisingr just for an extra few pages.

Pao will achieve some WIN if he makes an Illuminati-esque order of werekitties

Also…
    Hi I’m back
    College over so i can stop stalking the forums =/

• CommentAuthorNo One

Welcome back! How was college? Other than super busy.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2010 edited

Moldorm: you can search for Brisingr Paperback on amazon.com, and if you’re logged on you can Look Inside and search for ‘king cat’ to find the chapter.

Otherwise, a helpful Anti-Shurtugaler typed it up here. Any typographical errors are probably the transcriber’s, not the book’s.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Thanks, Taku. I don’t have an amazon.com account, so the type-up is very helpful.

Speaking of the Anti community, is there a sporking of it anywhere yet?

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

It’s being worked on, I believe. At the moment there’s just discussion about the major points. (“bishie catboys! <3” being one of those.)

I have no doubt we’ll see a sporking of it soon enough.

•  
      CommentAuthorarska
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2010

I must make an account there/. xD

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2010

Oh man, this thread on IF will be the funniest thing you read today.

To entice you, the title is “If the Elves don’t worship, then how can they explain the whole of alagaesia, or the whole world, to come to be?”

At a guess I would say CP is an aetheist, he portrays the most intelligent group as the aetheists. Math and science explain everything, suggest something that isn’t? Many parts of religon are myth and theories to explain things that were once very hard to understand.

This… this just bugs me to no end. Not because of religion or anything, but because how would the Elves have that level of knowledge in the first place?

Think about it a moment. Remove everything you can from your mind. You have no background knowledge, nothing taught, etc etc.

Why wouldn’t you think the world is flat? All evidence you have for the moment proves that it is flat. True, this was later disproved using just math during the Greeks’ age but still: What evidence and knowledge to the elves have to know any of this?

Here’s a bit of a preview of the next T&P segment.

Hahaha! CP made himself the God of Alagaesia! That would be hilarious!

You know, from a technical stand point, CP IS God of Alagaesia. It’s not hilarious (well, hilarious if you like meta-stuff), it’s a verifiable fact.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2010 edited

The elves would have had to have advanced mathematics and astronomy at some point, because they would have needed that to sail over the seas to Alalalalaeia. In theory.

Unless they were desparate and stupid enough to get in a boat without any navigation or hope that they’ll actually reach a habitable locaction before dying of dehydration or scurvy.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Slightly off topic, but uhg, IF’s format is even worse then before.

Unless they were desparate and stupid enough to get in a boat without any navigation or hope that they’ll actually reach a habitable locaction before dying of dehydration or scurvy.

Hey, humans did for awhile. ;-)

Also, from what we’ve seen of Elves, I’m not sure they can die of dehydration or scurvy. And being immortal, they might not have cared at all for navigation. “Who cares when you get there? We do have all day.”

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2010 edited

I thought they weren’t immortal until after the dragon bonding ceremony thing?

“One theory suggests that the elves were originally mortal, and gained their immortality and magical power from the bond with the dragons much as human Riders do. It is not clear, however, how the effects of a bond with the dragons influenced all the elves rather than just those of them that bonded with a dragon. In “Eldest” Oromis says that the human race was being “changed” by the magic that links the races together making them more calm and artistic.”

Quoted from Inheriwiki, but I remember there being a direct quote in one of the books or appendices along those lines.

Taku, that just brings up even MORE questions! lol

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow

I’ve never read Eragon, but that summary sounds really, really stupid.

Its cute how they’re trying to make it sound fresh and unique

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2010

Hehe--that is a rather pathetic looking hammer, I must admit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2010

It was the caption that made me cackle. It’s just so darn hilariously bad.

That too...and might I add that some people are a bit too obsessed? I mean, I am a huge LotR fan, but I would NOT spend that much time on making a wiki for the characters.

@Jeni

It was the caption that made me cackle. It’s just so darn hilariously bad.

Right out of the Lyttle Lytton contest.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2010

Apparently Paolini made a reference to DW in Brisingr. And I quote:

“Adrift upon the sea of time, the LONELY GOD wanders from shore to distant shore, upholding the laws of the stars above”

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2010 edited

:P You know it’s no secret considering CP outright says that he made a Doctor Who reference at the beginning of the book.

Edit: and I’m actually surprised people still didn’t know about it. Pfft, Brisingr‘s been out for ages.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2010

...What you actually expect people to pay attention to Brisisngr?