Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

What do you think of it? I think that the majority of us prefer computers, but I find a certain enjoyment in writing things out. Even if they’re notes for school, I get these pleased feelings just by seeing an entire sheet of paper filled with my writing. And if they’re my words, I feel like “Wow.

However, I use the computer for “real” writing most often.

•  
      CommentAuthorPearl
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2009

I got a nice little pep talk from NaNoWriMo for week two which included a nice blurb about the wonder of longhand as opposed to computer typing.

I agree with you about how nice a sheet of paper looks all in your own handwriting. Whenever I write letters I always write them out, I very rarely type them. It seems more personal that way.

I’ve typed for so long and so much, I can barely sign my name without my hand cramping. Some story notes I’ll hand write but I’m not very legible… =(

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I prefer longhand over typing. Typing out a story on a computer exhausts me somehow, but there’s a strange kind of joy in writing it down. :D It makes me think more, because not only is longhand a lot less instantaneous than typing, you also can’t really go back and change what you’ve done. Even if you don’t like to write by hand, it’s a good writing exercise.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

I don’t like longhand, mostly with taking notes. More so now, because I’ve had to spend several hours in my school library’s archives taking notes that way, and it feels like it takes longer that way.

@ Spanman

Neil Gaiman said that he wrote the first draft of a novel (I think it was Stardust) because there was a different feel to writing in longhand, plus there were the reasons you stated.

I prefer typing mostly for the reason that I’m a clean freak, and I can’t handle the clutteredness of papers and things being blotted all over and crossed out everywhere with food and tea and all sorts of other mystery substances spilled all over them.

Also, I can password protect my stuff so no one else can see my stuff unless I allow them to. (I had a bad experience where I wrote in a notebook and then my brother saw my stuff. Embarrassing to say the least, because I’m very private and insecure about my writing.) Also, I can easily move paragraphs around, change names, and all sorts of mechanical crap.

However, I will say that I am a sucker for a pretty notebook. I have a friend who writes everything (she has the nicest handwriting) in these pretty notebooks that she goes through in a matter of a week or two each. I’d be afraid to write in them because they’re too nice to ruin with my chicken-scratching, which is what my handwriting always becomes when I write.

Anyway, long way to say ‘I like to type’.

Longhand does add something of an advantage when you’re the sort who can’t make progress due to constant self-editing.

I strongly prefer typing, though. For one, it’s got to go on the computer sooner or later if I want to share it with anyone, so no reason to make more work for myself. Also, I have a weird way of holding writing utensils which leads to calluses and hand cramps.

I actually do prefer typing. But craps, I simply lose self-control when it comes to pens and notebooks.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2009

Writing your novels in longhand makes it worth more later.

tesch-induced facepalm

I write however I can. If I’m at a computer and I need to write something, I open Notepad, grab a pen and spend 5 minutes looking for a scrap of paper in my bedroom. Or if I’m sitting at my desk with a book of lines writing paper and a pen in my hand and I get an idea I want to write down,. I repeat it to myself over and over while waiting for my computer to load so I can open Notepad. Then as soon as Notepad is open, I grab a pen, and spend 5 minutes searching for a scrap of paper…

I write on the computer – I used to write longhand and hated that I would have to erase whole sections. Click, Shift, Delete, and it’s gone. Or, better yet, copypaste the whole thing into a another document, make the chnages, and then you have a first and second draft. So much easier.

Also, I get calluses, too, and I can only write in cursive (my print ends up looking like cursive if I go too fast.) However, my cursive, though very pretty, is actually hard to read due to the similarity of letters (a’s look like e’s which look like i’s which look like l’s…). Type, however, is always easy to read.

If I’m having diffuculty with a piece of writing, I usually write it out on paper and then type it up. This forces me to edit and also it lets my creative juices flow. (at least, that’s how I see it ;P) Otherwise I type things out.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2009

I luuuuurv writing longhand. It’s much, much easier for me to write for extended periods of time, and it’s so convenient! There’s just something about ink on paper (I can’t stand pencils) that just helps things to flow and gives me all sorts of crazy ideas. Then there’s the added benefit that when I type it up, I’ll usually do quite a lot of editing, so it usually turns out much better than if I’d just typed it to begin with.

So far, my NaNo has been about 70% typed, 30% handwritten. I carry a notebook with me everywhere (actually, it’s a steno pad, because they are the perfect size to fit in my purse!) and can write all the time… especially in boring classes.

If I’m having diffuculty with a piece of writing, I usually write it out on paper and then type it up. This forces me to edit and also it lets my creative juices flow.

^^ This

I hate writing things out longhand. I’ve gotten so lazy that if I want to write something but don’t feel like turning on the computer, or don’t have access to one, I just wait until later.

Longhand feels like a lot of effort, even though it really isn’t. I used to like it okay, but the more I use my computer, the less I want to write things out.

I like longhand. You don’t have to worry about mixing up your backups, and you can’t accidentally delete something.

Also, it does feel more legit.

I like Notepad as well. It’s simple and doesn’t take too long to load.

But most of my writing tends to be in Word because I have no filing system.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2009

I prefer writing longhand, probably out of habit. Since I grew up without a computer in the house, and as all my school assignments and rough drafts had to be written in cursive anyway, I did my writing longhand. When I finally got a computer of my own, the whole handwritten first draft stuck because it took forever for the computer to turn on and load; I would only type things up if I wanted them to look super nice and professional. Which brings me to today. XP

On my computer, I’ll open up a document and just sit there, staring at it as I try and figure out how to phrase things, and then going back every couple seconds to tweak the phrasing, and then going back yet again to edit those edits… I just can’t seem to shut off my inner editor when I’m on the computer. With longhand writing, though, I can just plow through and write it. There’s also the bonus of a notebook and pen being far more portable than my behemoth of a laptop. Also, writing longhand just feels more satisfying when I finally finish. And there’s no load time or need to hunt down power outlets if I suddenly get the urge to write at 2am in the middle of nowhere. XD

Although my desk looks like a mess with all the papers and stuff piled on it, it’s actually all quite organized, and I know exactly where everything is, so longhand writing suits me. :3