Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

Because I think it’s been shown that more guys will read books written by male authors.

Can androgynous names get under the radar?

I’m just curious, because, picking a pen name and all…

I am NOT stalking her!!!

Well just do what all the British do. Use your first 2 initials and last name.

Rowling didn’t have a middle name at the time so she used her grandmother’s name, if I recall correctly.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2009

My first and middle initials stuck onto my last name sounds pretty corny, in my opinion. However, I would not be opposed to just my first initial and last name. I've thought about this a lot because my name isn't terrifically writerly. Ah well. Anyway, I don't pay attention to the gender of the author when I pick up a book. It doesn't make any difference to me. A bad writer is a bad writer, and I find that out by reading the book, not by looking at whether or not the author is female.
    • CommentAuthorsimian

Well, one of the more famous examples is S.E. Hinton, who wrote the Outsiders and went with the abbreviation to hide the fact that her name was Susan Eloise (at her author's request, so says Wikipedia ... but I remember when we read the book in, oh god, 7th grade? The English teacher also talked about how she hid her sex from readers.)

Personally, I've found that I read a lot of male writers. Several years ago I read an anthology of science fiction stories (titled Not of Woman Born) and was surprised that my favorite stories in the collection were by female writers (even though I was a fan of some of the male contributors, whose stories I felt were rather dull.) The women's stories were more inventive and had more personality. I decided to try reading more female authors' books ... but the ones who contributed the stories I liked didn't seem to have a lot of books to their names (or the books they did have weren't science fiction, actually a lot of them worked in that bizarre "teen/young adult" category). I ended up reading several of the works of Linda Nagata (who did not contribute stories to Not of Woman Born, but was a female SF writer) ... and hated every page of them. Then I went back to reading what I usually read.

I guess my point is that girls are yucky and have cooties and a pen name should be as non-female as possible. You should shoot right past androgynous and into masculine territory. I suggest "Manly Muscleton."
    • CommentAuthorWiseWillow
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2009 edited

Yep, ditto to Spanny. But then, I’m a girl.

Oddly enough, if it’s in nonfiction I generally avoid female authors… for some odd reason the women historians who get published tend to be a little bit nuts, and often overly dramatize everything. And oh God, the horror of historical fiction….. gahhhhhhhh! Queen Elizabeth I probably did die a virgin, and no, she did NOT HAVE THOMAS SEYMOUR’S BABY WHEN SHE WAS THIRTEEN!

Ahem. Sorry…. /rant

This thread reminds me of my music choice; I don’t usually listen to female rock (besides Evanescence) only because, and I’m sorry to break it to you, but VIBRATOS don’t sound good when you’re singing ROCK. Period.

In any case, I’m pretty open to gender combos (girl writes guy, guy writes girl) ...Erm, correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think many male authors have female protagonists. One of the few I can think of is The Bartimaeus Trilogy, and even then the girl isn’t really the protagonist.

Eh, nowadays I haven’t seen that many believable female protagonists written by males simply because of the social expectations. Male authors tend to let themselves become too worried about appearing not-sexist and end up with GRRL-Sues.

Manly Muscleton

Don’t use that! It’s my real name.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2009 edited

Yep, ditto to Spanny. But then, I’m a girl.

Oddly enough, if it’s in nonfiction I generally avoid female authors… for some odd reason the women historians who get published tend to be a little bit nuts, and often overly dramatize everything. And oh God, the horror of historical fiction….. gahhhhhhhh! Queen Elizabeth I probably did die a virgin, and no, she did NOT HAVE THOMAS SEYMOUR’S BABY WHEN SHE WAS THIRTEEN!

Where did you hear that? O.o I don’t really read non-fiction that often anyway, so I have no opinion on the matter. As for historical fiction, I really can’t stand Elizabeth Gaskell. She was too dramatic a writer for her own good.

P.S. The name’s Spanman.

Well, Spanny (fine, Spanman) , there was this book (historical novel) titled Lady Elizabeth by Alison Weir that speculated what if. She did note in the back that Elizabeth probably didn’t… but she could have.

And it’s sad, because usually Alison Weir is a competent and interesting historian.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

...I honestly don’t care if a book is written by a s/he as long as the book is good…

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

It depends on my past experience with that author/ Dianna Wynne Jones? Go for it. Tamora Pierce? I’m not so excited. Emily Rodda? Hell yes, when I was a teenager. Isobelle Carmody? Yes, please! But Jane Austen, Bronte sisters, Stephanie Meyer, and countless small-time chick-lit author(esse)s? No, thanks. Keep that stuff away from me.

So I guess it’s more about th quality of writing and what it’s actually about, rather than the gender of the author. I mean, Jones, Rodda, and Carmody (I don’t mention Rowling because she in some way hid her gender with initials, as discussed above) all have engaging narrative styles, realistic, rounded, synthetic characters of both genders, and well-devised, interesting plots that keep the reader interested in what happens next. Whereas I don’t read Pierce because it’s so blatantly “Oh, woe is me! I’m a princess who doesn’t like wearing dresses and wants to do what the boys do, but my arranged suitor is forcing me to be pretty! Wauuugh!”, and even if it might be interesting to girls, I have no interest whatsoever in that sort of thing. Meyers, of course, is the same, except it’s “Woe is me! I’m ugly and clumsy, yes everyone in my new school swoons over me except this one guy who keeps treating me like I have swine flu! Oh wait, he’s a vampire and he loves me! O, woe is me, I can’t make out with my vampire boyfriend because he might accidentally kill me because he’s so sparkly and hard and hawt!” Really, when it comes down to it, the authors I don’t read, male or female, I don’t read because either they adhere to cliches, have underdeveloped characters or settings, or I just can’t enjoy their writing style.

I dunno, I liked Pierce when I was younger. I hate her circle of magic books, but I like the Tortall ones. Yay for Daine! She “loses her temper” .... and sics dinosaur skeletons on a palace. WIN!

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Eh, author’s gender doesn’t bother me. Although, according to my bookshelf, I obviously prefer male authors. It’s kind of embarrassing that the bottom shelf (i.e. the main one) has only one book by a female author.

Well, two if you count the Mighty Mince Cookbook.

•  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky

I see no reason why an author’s gender should affect the quality of their writing. I’m not sexist, after all.

Okay, first of all, I admit that I am a product of contradictory stereotypical societal influences.

That said:

1.When I see a book by a woman author my first instinct is “this will lean toward a emotional/drama plot.”
    2. For a male author, I think, “could be anything.”
    3. For an author with initials + surname I think, “ooooh, must read back cover and discover what the heck kind of first name starts with the letter Q….”

Now, having said THAT:

I know more guys that read romance than girls. It’s also an age thing. Adventures seem to be equally enjoyed by both.

You may use this information to help your research.

• CommentAuthorWitrin

I prefer a lot of female authors to male authors. It’s just about the quality of their writing, though. Not because they’re female.
    I tend to buy more male authors, but my bookshelf is populated with female authors because they’re the books that I don’t chuck into my wardrobe when I run out of room.

From the first shelf on my bookshelf – and I rank my books.

Naomi Novik > Christopher Paolini*
    Diana Wynne Jones is equal to Terry Pratchett & a lot greater than or equal to Neil Gaiman – it depends on the book.
    Melina Marchetta = Markus Zusak
    Isobelle Carmody > Most Everything.
    Justine Larbalestier > Scott Westerfeld.
    Kate Thompson > Eoin Colfer.

*Actually on the first shelf of my wardrobe. Which is not ranked. And it’s in a box, a waterproof box.

Erm, correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think many male authors have female protagonists.

I don’t know if you’re wrong, but there’s Lyra, Gatty, Sabriel & Lirael, Esme Weatherwax, Tally Youngblood, Liesl Meminger, Meg Finn, etc.

For the longest time, I didn’t know that Harper Lee was a girl.

Anyway, I think I might read more books written by men, but it’s not really a conscious thing. I look at the back cover and judge from there. A lot of the time, I don’t even look at an author unless I really end up liking the book.

I hate her circle of magic books, but I like the Tortall ones.

But… why? No, honestly, I don’t understand why people don’t like them. It has Tris and Briar, come on! /rant

Personally, I am actually sexist in favor of women. When I see a book by a female author, I think, “This could be anything, and it will probably be well-written.” When I see a book by a male author, I think, “The men will be awesome and the women incompetent. If he writes from a girl’s perspective, it will be weird.”

This is probably because of my bad experience with reading The Silence of the Spillbills as a fifth grader, and reading Tamora Pierce and J.K. Rowling the same year. Now I’m slightly less biased, but there are some books I put down because of how the female character is written.

• CommentTimeNov 13th 2009

Eh. I dunno, her world she builds for Circle just feels wrong. Tortall feels real to me, but the other world… eh. And the group of four for some reason just rubbed me the wrong way. Funnily enough, I read her the Circle of Magic first- Sandry’s Book, Tris’ Book, Daja’s Book, Briar’s Book. I liked them, then found her Tortall books and went “oh, these are good. Why did she write that CoM crap?”. Weird, I know.

I have actually thought about this a lot, and from what I’ve read on the Internet, males (particularly teenage boys) are less likely to read a book by a female author, and if an author’s name is gender neutral, they will assume that it’s a male author.

I personally don’t care what gender the author is, but I’m a girl, and I think that most girls don’t care. Also, I think women authors are usually associated with romance. When a guy sees the name of a woman on the cover of a book, they think, “Yuck, romance.”

I wouldn’t use my initials probably because they don’t sound very good, but I have thought of a gender neutral pen name that I might use… if I don’t just say “to hell with it” and use my real name.

Waiiiiiiiiiiit. You’re a girl? Huh. I was always wondering about you… I was caught in the middle. Your pic is a girl, but you sound more guy-ish. Sorta.

Ducks in case of angry retaliation

Your pic is a girl, but you sound more guy-ish. Sorta.

I don’t know if I should take that as an insult or not. What do you mean exactly?

You don’t need to duck. There are several other people who everyone thought were guys until recently.

I dunno. Your writing somehow has a slightly more masculine feel. I don’t know how to describe it… not an insult at all.

Bizarrely, you were one of the first users I acknowledged as female after I was coerced into not thinking everyone was dudes.

^^Okay, I chose to take that comment as a compliment, sansafro. Though I think it may be because I argued against everyone being male whenever I saw you mention it.

Should I be doing a happy dance that you never thought I was a guy? xP

^^He thought everyone was a guy, or were you talking to me?

EDIT:
    May I refer you to this, Willow.

I honestly don’t remember why I did, only that it made me think of your username as ambiguous rather than male.

As for Willow, I don’t think I had really interacted you before the female acknowledgment coercion took place. Your username would be really fruity if it belonged to a guy, though.

honestly, I could not care less about whether the book was written by a male or a female author. As long as it does not suck ass, I will read it and enjoy it. Sex has nothing to do with it.

@ Topic….

I actually don’t care as long as i like the book!
    And for the most part I dunno if the author’s male of female till i try to find out
    I went through the Animorphs series as kid thinking KA Applegate was a guy (hey, its the initials!)

•  
      CommentAuthorRandomX2
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2009

I think I favour male authors naturally.

That said, a LOT of the books I enjoy have been written by female authors. It’s only that I didn’t realize the author was female until I did a Google search.

It’s a rather weak subconscious prejudice, but it exists.

•  
      CommentAuthorFalling
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2009

Yes I have and will, but the majority of my reading do appear to be written by men. But I wonder about the demographs of authors on the sort of books I read, historical fiction, fantasy, and SF. Is it equally distributed?

I don’t know if this is true, but SF sounds as if it would be a male dominated genre. Fantasy sounds pretty evenly distributed in terms of number of authors, and I can think of more female historical fiction authors than male.

But that’s just me.

oops, wrong thread:P

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2009 edited

I think it’s more of a genre thing. Traditionally, speculative fiction has always been male dominated, and all of the genre-defining works were written by men (Asimov, Heinlein, Tolkien, CS Lewis, etc…). That sexism might be hard for the genre to overcome. I can only really think of two woman fantasy authors that I’ve really liked, Susan Cooper and JKR. I’m sure there are more out there…

Other genres, I don’t think this is so much the case. Literary fiction has its share of female writers (Harper Lee, Margaret Atwood, Jane Austin, and so on) and lets not start on romance.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2009

I can only really think of two woman fantasy authors that I’ve really liked, Susan Cooper and JKR. I’m sure there are more out there…

Ursula Le Guin. <3

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Trudi Canavan, Anne McCaffrey (though she’s a bit divisive), Diana Wynne-Jones.

There are many.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

KA Applegate! :D

Justine Larbalestier > Scott Westerfeld.

Oh, you are SO going down.

Scott Westerfeld also has female protags in Uglies and Midnighters.

Scott Westerfeld also has female protags in Uglies and Midnighters.

However, one can debate the greatness of Scott Westerfield’s books.

Andre Norton, Appelgate, and Anne McCaffrey

However, one can debate the greatness of Scott Westerfield’s books.

Go on, I dare you.

•  
      CommentAuthorFalling
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2009 edited

There are females in the genres I stated, but especially in SF and Fantasy, I think it is still dominated by males. Thus, by sheer demographics there will be more good male writers in those genres. (The flip side is that there are reams of crappy male writers in those genres.)

It could be that historical-fiction is more evenly distributed and in fact that tends to be where most of my female authors come from. But it's a funny genre, because it could just as easily slip into a romance novel. If the covers are anything to go by romance novels often take place in some sort of historical setting and alternatively historical novels do have romance in them. It depends on the emphasis. I've read some good historical fiction by women. But because it's more of a sliding scale, I swear some have slipped out of the romance section as I've read books where I get the sinking feeling that the romance was more than incidental. For that reason, I do have some hesitation when I'm choosing female historical-fiction authors. (Though, again, that's generally where my female authors come from.)

There are females in the genres I stated, but especially in SF and Fantasy, I think it is still dominated by males. Thus, by sheer demographics there will be more good male writers in those genres. (The flip side is that there are reams of crappy male writers in those genres.)

That’s a good point.

• CommentAuthorWitrin
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2009 edited

Oh, you are SO going down.

Runs and Hides

Go on, I dare you.

I think Westerfeld is very, very good. (I’m not fond of Extras or The Last Days, though.)

But I’ve read Liar.

I’ve read How to Ditch Your Fairy. Then I gave her a second chance in that Love Is Hell collection.

Both were complete and utter fail. I’m going to try Liar, but until then, I reserve the right to say that Westerfeld rocks harder than Larbalestier.