Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

I’ve been confused by the mass hysteria and Wal-Martization of vampires lately.

What makes a true vampire? (As in, the sort that Bram Stoker and other respected authorities would recognize?)

My biggest question: How does a vampire become a vampire, besides being bitten by one? I’m talking about the first one, like Dracula?

I remember reading that Dracula would force the victim to suck his blood, and then… I think they died and came back to life?

I can’t recall. My memory on the subject is fuzzy. :(

I think the exact details vary from mythology to mythology. A common theme is selling your soul to the devil.

It also varies from culture to culture.

“To make you a vampire they have to suck your blood. And then you have to suck their blood. It’s like a whole big sucking thing. Mostly they’re just gonna kill you.” – Buffy Summers.

Well, Meyer’s vampires have no weaknesses and I know Dracula, at least, had a few.

1. Can’t cross running water
    2. Must sleep all day on earth from homeland

I had this Halloween assignment in French which was to read some articles and figure out what a “real” vampire was. As far as I can see, they all consisted of drinking blood. But then the details differ: some of them killed small children, others killed for revenge. One vampire that I remember was hired by Hera to kill all of Zeus’s lovers.

@Juniper – heh. nicely done calling vampires Wall – martized. And sadly, true. I personally got to the point where I cannot stand anything even remotely vampire – related. Its become one big “bleh”. I liked how Neil Gaiman put it: “Vampires need to go back to their coffins”.

(another reason why I love the man:P)

I remember reading that Dracula would force the victim to suck his blood, and then… I think they died and came back to life?

That’s sounds sort of like Being Human vampires. They suck the blood of their victims, and then they let the victim drink their blood. They die and come back to life a couple of days later. If the victim doesn’t suck the vampire’s blood, they just die.

•  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2009

I’ve never liked vampires. They’ve always made me feel nauseous. Something about a pale, clammy corpse sinking its fangs into my neck just grosses me out.

I don’t care much for them either. I’m not really a vampire, werewolf, mummy, etc. person. I don’t find them all that interesting.

The one that killed Zeus’ lovers is Lamia, I believe.

I love Dracula. I love those vampires. I just don’t like the walmart ones.

Personally, I don’t mind most modernizations of vampires
    But ones that RAPE vampire lore (our beloved) deserves much hatred

I’ve only used vampires in one of my stories (they aren’t really called vampires, but the Bloodrose allegiance)
    They drink blood
    Have limited metamorphosis abilities
    Can crystallize their blood to create weapons (a common practice is to sacrifice their kin to ‘explode’ them into buildings)
    They’re weak, weak, weak in the sun (they have large mutants that carry large umbrella like canopies to protect their armies if they march in daylight)

Can crystallize their blood to create weapons (a common practice is to sacrifice their kin to ‘explode’ them into buildings)
    They’re weak, weak, weak in the sun (they have large mutants that carry large umbrella like canopies to protect their armies if they march in daylight)

Now that is cool.

I can sense Nate gathering his ideas.

The one that killed Zeus’ lovers is Lamia, I believe.

Yes, that is who is was.