Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

Well, why? Why is a fantasy setting almost always a mediaeval setting? Is it the connotations? The default?

Why not earlier or later?

This is something I’ve always wondered.

Probably because Tolkien started it with his alt-history of earth.

Nowadays you’re as likely to find fantasy in any setting. Modern day per… Twilight Nagasaki Moon, or different past periods per… Temeriare, or even the future per… Shadowrun.

Medieval I think is sort of default just because there’s a lot of information floating around about that period (I mean, for almost any culture) so most people are familiar enough with it, yet it’s still mysterious and magical enough that magical dragons et al don’t strain disbelief. It’s kind of in a gold history period really.

• CommentAuthorsimian
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2009

I'd say it's older than Tolkien. Most of the imagery related to fairy tales (in a lot of ways precursors to the fantasy of today) draws from medieval-ish settings (castles, clothing, etc.) Also, I think "medieval" is a catch-all ... I think a lot of people (myself included) can't properly distinguish (as in know the technical differences) Renaissance from Victorian from English, French, or German clothing/architecture of those eras. Not everybody has majored in the history of fashion of building to really know or care one setting from another. Assuming most of the audience for this stuff is of European descent (and statistically, if we're on the internet and reading/writing in English, that's probably the case) that European middle ages based hodge podge is what we've been exposed to (damned schools and their ethnocentrism) and are familiar with. Likewise, a lot of Japanese animation set in fantasy settings takes place in the eras of samurais and draws from Japanese folklore.
    • CommentAuthorWiseWillow

Well, it isn’t medieval so much as Arthurian. You don’t see fantasy in Elizabethan England, you see it in the Camelot times. Since Camelot itself is a fantasy, it lends itself easily to more magic. In fact, the original tales of Camelot involve dragons and spells and such, so when fantasy first came out as a genre of fiction, it centered around where it had roots. Oddly enough, usually the dress is that of nobility from the time of Richard the Lionheart (Robin Hood era) in the 1100s, which is five hundred years after Camelot. Blame the Pre-Raphaelite artists if you wish.

And I think the title ‘Dark Ages’ does lend itself to some magical imaginings about that specific era in time. Maybe it’s because of the associations I make, but that definitely sounds more fantastical than the roaring twenties or something.

•  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky

I think just as good a setting for fantasy as the Middle Ages would be the era before then, the ancient era (the time of the Sumerians, Egyptians, Greeks, Romans, etc.). Those cultures had just as many heroes and monsters as any in the medieval era, and they didn’t have Christianity’s anti-magic attitude.

[sigh] Guys, I thought we agreed to keep religion on the serious discussion thread.

No intentions of inciting anything, but the fact that people often burned ‘witches’ on the stake suggests an anti-magical attitude. :P

And Merlin, Tolkien, Lewis and Rowling would suggest that the issue is a bit more complicated and we’re in danger of getting this thread moved to serious discussion.

Eh, actually, the witch burning was mostly not medieval. It mainly happened around the 1600s, long after the medieval period was over. Dammit, Monty Python! And Christianity is not supposed to be anti-magic. James I, screw him, was afraid of witches. So, when in 1620 or so (?) he had the King James Bible done, he had them change the hebrew word for poisoner to witch. “Thou shalt not suffer a poisoner to live”. Dammit, James!

• CommentAuthorsimian

Although, amusingly, I recently toyed with this very notion. I was trying to design the appearance of the characters from a fantasy story I'm working on (that's another two threads right there, there was one recently about drawing and sketching material from your work and I posted an outline of the story in the critiques forum). I wasn't really digging the designs I was coming up with too much, then I drew one of the characters with a bouffant and a kind of 50's era dress (inspired by the Donna Reed show) and another styled after the Greasers from The Outsiders. I started toying with the idea of transferring the setting to a retro-modern (bwuh?!) setting. Huge, imposing office buildings or military forts for castles, those classic suburban towns instead of the typical fantasy village ... then I tried to think of a way to merge the two styles (60's and "medieval") but ... eh ... I ended up thinking it was too silly.

Proto-Europe is such an old hat. Now, Proto-Japan, that’s the wave of the future.

For the record, I think the Proto-European fantasy setting sees so much play because people often don’t want to put in serious worldbuilding effort, and honestly, just aren’t that creative. It’s way easier to just take Middle Earth, shift some things around, make some cosmetic additions and subtractions, and call it an original universe.

It’s been run into the ground, but IMO it can still be a good setting if one actually bothers putting the effort in. GRRM did it, after all.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

I think the Bronze Age is the future. Just think of the possibilities.

Who here’s played Brutal Legend?

The METAL AGE is the future.

•  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2009 edited

To tell you the truth, the cultures that fascinate me the most are the more “exotic” ones, especially those from Africa or Mesoamerica. I think a fantasy story set in one of those cultures would be awesome.

Also, do all fantasy monsters have to come from some mythology, European or not? I’ve always thought that lifeforms from our own prehistoric past would make awesome monsters for a fantasy world.

• CommentAuthorsimian
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2009

Well, there is the theory that dragons are inspired by some genetic, inherited memory of dinosaurs. I'm not really sure where to go with that.

I read somewhere that dragons came from Greek monster myths, which came from finding dinosaur bones and then inventing something to match them.

That doesn’t explain Asian dragons, though.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2009 edited

pfft. You think China and Greece didn’t have contact? Need it be pointed out that Greek and Sanskrit are genetically related languages, both within the PIE family?

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

Yeah, but the PIE only extends to India, not China. Anyway, I heard a theroy about dragons being a combination of characteristics from animals that feed on mammals (birds-of-prey + lizard = scary animal). Still doesn’t explain Eastern dragons though…

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2009

Where do you think China comes from? the Chinese people came from India, therefore, far enough back, would have shared some connection to PIE. Also, the Chinese and the Indians were always trading and sharing ideas. Where do you think Buddhism came from? Or kung fu? For that matter, why does everyone seem to think ancient people never travelled anywhere? The Greeks went as far as the west coast of Africa, the Romans conquered much of Europe, Africa and eastern Persia, the Vikings managed to settle in Russia and peacefully traded with Russia and even Mongolia for a good long time… the ancient world was suprisingly well-connected, and a lot earlier than a lof of anthopologists knew about until the last decade or so.

• CommentAuthorsimian

All thanks to Atlantis.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

Atlantis, Akrotiri, it’s all the same.

I agree that Tolkien is to blame for a lot. I read some pre – Tolkien fantasy and, believe it or not, there is such a thing. One of my favorite books, “Ptah Hotep” by Charles Duits was written in 19th century and is most heavily influenced by Egyptian culture, from which it soon moves into the semi – prehistoric setting, basically like moving from 2000 BC Egypt to Europe in the same period. The style may be hard to swallow by some, but it is definitely worth and shows that fantasy does not always has to consist of faux knights and supposedly epic plots centered around saving the world.

Hey, don’t blame Tolkien. Blame the people ripping him off.

Well, Tolkien wanted to create an English mythology, after all, so I guess it kind of makes more sense to have the knights running around, etc. etc. than having a series based on the Egyptians, for example.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2009 edited

William Morris did some beautiful and brilliant pre-Tolkien fantasy, especially The Wood Beyond The World and House of the Wolfings. Actually, it was Morris’s account of Old Nordic or Anglo-Saxon life in House of the Holfings that inspired Tolkien to begin with. And Wood Beyond The World inspired much of Narnia’s earlier plot, especially The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe.

Much of his work was either medieval or slightly earlier.

Hmmm, I should check that out then, Taku. It’s been hard finding really good fantasy lately.

I agree that Tolkien is to blame for a lot. I read some pre – Tolkien fantasy and, believe it or not, there is such a thing.

You’re only slightly wrong. 1 “true” fantasy writer existed before Tolkien (and JRR owes a lot to him).

George MacDonald.

•  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2009

I agree that Tolkien is to blame for a lot. I read some pre – Tolkien fantasy and, believe it or not, there is such a thing. One of my favorite books, “Ptah Hotep” by Charles Duits was written in 19th century and is most heavily influenced by Egyptian culture, from which it soon moves into the semi – prehistoric setting, basically like moving from 2000 BC Egypt to Europe in the same period. The style may be hard to swallow by some, but it is definitely worth and shows that fantasy does not always has to consist of faux knights and supposedly epic plots centered around saving the world.

Incidentally, the current novel I’ve just started has an ancient Egyptian setting as well (though in my current plan there will be a big battle to save the kingdom from foreign invaders).

okay, you are right, I was being unfair to the old man. His only fault was that he was so good, everybody wanted to be as good as he was and how could they possibly achieve that? By copying him of course!

So yeah, I apologize:)

Question that is tangentially related to this topic, but I didn’t want to make a new thread:

Does sci-fi always have to take place in a futuristic world? Maybe it’s a stupid one, but I was curious. On a related note, could fantasy potentially take place in the ‘future’ as opposed to the ‘past’?

I’ve read more and more fantasy that is taking place in the future.

The idea of “past” sci-fi isn’t as growing though. Star Wars might be closest but who really remembers the opening sentence?

I think it’s just a sort of permanent feature. If you have robots, spaceships, etc who’s going to believe it’s in the past? The only time it is believed is in “steampunk” and whether that’s fantasy or sci-fi is a debate i’m sure we can have.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2009

Star Wars might be closest but who really remembers the opening sentence?

Are you kidding? That sentence is iconic.

Going back to “past” sci-fi, I’ve come across a couple short stories in various anthologies that speculate how certain historical events (mostly battles) would have played out differently had there been modern leaders and/or technology involved. Fun stuff.

I also have a story, currently deep in hibernation, that was more sci-fi than anything set during the Italian Renaissance. (And now I’ve got the sudden urge to poke it into wakefulness; too many projects have I. D:) But anyway, I think the whole medieval stock setting is so prevalent because people are too lazy to spend time doing research. Which is a shame, really, because you find out a lot of nifty things through research.

I’ll stop rambling now. ._.

It’s a weird blurry line between sci-fi and fantasy, in my opinion. Both are set in different worlds from Earth (or reimagine Earth), and sci-fi obviously involves more of a scientific feel, while fantasy usually goes for the magical approach. Other than that, really, the genres are a bit blurry beyond that, right? Even in smaller bookstores, they keep sci-fi/fantasy as one category.

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2009

Maybe fantasy is set in medieval times because, after gunpowder is invented, technology begins to step on magic’s toes, so to speak. Like, why would anybody use magic to shoot fireballs when you’ve got muskets and cannons hand, or study for ages to learn healing magic when a dose of antibiotics would work just as well?

^^ That is a very good point.

• CommentAuthorsimian

And that's where all those stores (and even some video games!) about science vs. magic come in.

Generally, Magic = Nature and Science = ... uh ... not Nature which pollutes and destroys and makes everything bad.
    Everything is always so environmental.

I'd say magic and science can coexist. I've always thought it would be cool if certain non-scientific aspects of science fiction could be explained by magic. Like artificial gravity. Sure, he engineers can build a ship and an engine but, dammit, aside from having the thing rotating to give the effect of gravity, why not just get the mages to cast some spells to simulate gravity? It'd be cool if an engineering room had a combination of mystics and regular dudes working together to maintain some bizarre amalgamation of science and magic. But then you'd REALLY need to explain the limitations of magic to come up with why the science is needed at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorApep

But then there’s Clarke’s Third Law. Where does magic end and technology begin? Where do psychic powers fall? Don’t get me wrong, that does sound pretty cool.

Maybe fantasy is set in medieval times because, after gunpowder is invented, technology begins to step on magic’s toes, so to speak. Like, why would anybody use magic to shoot fireballs when you’ve got muskets and cannons hand, or study for ages to learn healing magic when a dose of antibiotics would work just as well?

Lewis touched on that several times, that “science” and “magic” were brothers but one was stillborn and the other flourished to give us the world we have today.

So you’ve probably hit upon a very good point there. Past a certain point in time, we can no longer deny that magic is dead/useless. However, before that time, mankind is still experimenting and there is a chance magic might life/be useful!

That is a pretty awesome conclusion.

What do we do with all of this dicussion now?

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2009

We make an article out of it!

You read my mind.

Thing is, it’s not exactly a writing advice thing, more like an interest thing…

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2009

Oh well. It still could spark some interesting discussion. And (whoever put it together) could use it to illustrate different ways of using magic in fantasy. Even if it isn’t advice, it’s still… explanation, I suppose.

That would be so neat! I believe I read something similar in a book about Egyptian magic and how it connected to religion, everyday life and medicine (these guys had some fascinating views on what causes illnesses)

and to be honest, although I try to avoid a faux – medieval setting, if a story is not executed properly, no matter how cool the background is, it will still fail on a larger scale. I personally try to avoid it – my storyline moves from ancient (mostly Egyptian) settings to the early days of gunpowder to steam era.

So yeah Brandon – Egyptian high fives! :D

I think I might be going steampunk without even realizing it.

I think steampunk is a pretty cool setting, even if I find steampunk enthusiasts rather unnerving.

WW1 era technology + magic is steampunk, right? I’ve never actually read any bona-fide books of the genre.

No, I don’t think steampunk has to involve magic, just a vaguely Victorian culture with overdeveloped technology based upon steam power and other sorts of low tech. Think of the more traditional Final Fantasy games, World of Warcraft, or shudder Wild Wild West.

No. Don’t think of them.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2009

For a better example of steampunk, I like to look at Morowind’s Dwemer ruins. Lots of steam, brass-coloured pipes, glowing neon and mechanical mostrosities. Only think missing is the Victorian culture, really. But that’s the sort of stuff I think steampunk is about, technology-wise.

Link please? It sounds awesome.

No, I don’t think steampunk has to involve magic, just a vaguely Victorian culture with overdeveloped technology based upon steam power and other sorts of low tech. Think of the more traditional Final Fantasy games, World of Warcraft, or shudder Wild Wild West.

Or – you know: Thief.

Like I said before, I think steam punk would be best described as sci-fi in a historical era.

• CommentAuthorsimian
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2009

I really liked the parts of Garth Nix's Abhorsen books that dealt with the clash of a WWI-like society with a typical fantasy setting. I felt he didn't explore that enough (of course, the way he structured that world they can't clash all that much, which is disappointing.)

I’m thinking that maybe in my world, the magic has been around, and now the machinery is kind of starting to supplant it…and I just had a GREAT IDEA!

Oh my god, I have to write this down for later.

No. Don’t think of them.

Hey, not saying they were good examples, just examples that I happen to be familiar with enough to recognize those elements within.

No, that was me being deliberately contrary because I have no social skills. I’ve got to stop doing that.

I always felt steampunk was more like ‘today’s technology made old,steam style, considering some stories have steam mechas, armours, planes, etc. (essentially more advanced than victorian era)’

[oh ,i get the feeling i accidentally repeated someone’s point]

Do you wanna create a new steampunk thread?

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2009 edited

@ steph:

I need say no more, I think.

sweet.

would Myst be considered steampunk? I mean, we have the “magic” of D´ni and then there is all this technology. UNDERGROUND!

(Yes, I am a horrible “Myst” junkie, even have the books and all:P)

going off-topic for a shot, falcon can you suggest me what in your opinion is the best of the myst series( games)? I’ve been wanting to play one (for like the past 5 years) but always hesitated…

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2009

If you want to go off topic keep it in hidden text. :)