Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

What? Sansafor, that’s what I totally got from your story!

Ha!

Well, I’m not trying to say that the story of growing up a gay Polynesian midget with a hook for a hand and a never-say-die attitude wouldn’t be interesting, but if that’s the sort of story a director wants to make a movie about, they ought to make their own.

Well, I’m not trying to say that the story of growing up a gay Polynesian midget with a hook for a hand and a never-say-die attitude wouldn’t be interesting, but if that’s the sort of story a director wants to make a movie about, they ought to make their own.

Wasn’t it 300?

Pretty much.

From what I’ve heard, you don’t get too much control over the story once the rights have been sold.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2009

PaoPao said that he knew nothing about the Eragon adaptation until the premiere.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2009 edited

as far as I’m aware, selling the right to make copies or adaptations of a book or work does not give the purchaser the right to change the story as they see fit. There’s a thing called “moral rights”, see, which cannot be transferred, sold or hired in any way, which grants the author the exclusive right to be named as the author of that work. If a film adaptation of a novel deviates too far from the original spirit of the story, the holder of the moral rights to that story can sue for defamation, as I understand it (So for example, if a Mexican Civil War story is turned into the aforementioned homosexual midget Polynesian’s coming-of-age, that would be counted as “not in the spirit of the original”).

Film adaptors are allowed to have a certain leeway when working with a novel-to-film transformation (which is of course necessary for the constraints of the medium), but they must remain ‘true’ within acceptable (mostly intangible or unspoken) limits, and if they change the movie too much the author has the option of taking them to a civil court or tribunal.

Anyway, one never “sells” the rights to a film adaptation, they only ever hire or rent the rights. As soon as the film is made all rights to that work revert to the original author, as I understand it. A director cannot make a film adaptation and then turn around years later and re-make it with a different theme, central character or plot, because they no longer have the rights to make an adaptation of the original work. Ceretainly they can make a parody of it (under ‘fair use’, which allows copyright infringement in the name of parody, educational purposes or for critical reviews), but they cannot make a sincere re-make without first re-obtaining the rights to the story (And even then the abovementioned unspoken agreement about “in the spirit of the original” would still apply).

At least, the way I understand it.

PaoPao said he knew nothing about the Eragon adaption until the premiere.

Wait, how’s that possible? Even I remember hearing that they were making a film out of it and being all excited…unless he was living under a rock at the time?

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I think Moldorm meant that he didn’t know anything about how they were going to make it (like he didn’t have any inside information on its progress or anything), not that he didn’t know they were making it.

Oh, I see. Never mind then…

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Sorry, being unclear again.

He said that he didn’t know about the changes, production progress, screenplay etc.

Ah.

Question: Do you think that it complicates things when authors get involved with screen adaptations of their works?

Late, but I would totally be Arwen. Oh yeah.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I used to watch the extra things on the DVDs over and over just to look at the costumes… sigh I love them so much.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Oh my goodness, I’ve seen every second of the bonus features on those films… XD

Anyway. I didn’t do anything about it, but my sister got inspired enough to sew two Arwen gowns, and my other sister made Eowyn’s shieldmaiden dress, and my sewing teacher made at least four others from all the films. They were nerds, but extremely epic nerds all the same.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

O.O… I am jealous. I was never that obsessed (or talented).

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I may have been that obsessed, but never that talented. XD

In any case, it’s been a really long time since I’ve done a good bit of costume pic spamming… I think it’s that time again.

One of Arwen’s epic dresses:

drools

I want that. Why don’t they sell those in major retailers? I would totally wear that to prom, if only to show off my epic LotR dress.

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2009

I. want. that. I WANT THAT. IS SO PRETTY.

So would I. Retailers should make it. And not like those cruddy $30 halloween outfits. Like actual, real good dresses.

Note to self: Learn to sew better. Make LOTR dresses. Sell them. Get rich.

I’ll buy one. It’ll be my defacto Halloween costume for ever and ever and also my prom dress and also the dress I wear to my booksignings when I’m a famous author.

Yep, I got it all planned out.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

You could buy many.
    That way, you can dazzle your loyal fans with a new dress at each signing, encouraging them to go along every time!

I have hereby appointed Moldorm as my LotR fashion consultant, and Willow can be my seamstress.

No place for me?...

Well, I’ll probably need multiple seamstresses, so you can join Willow.

Yay! :D

So… note to self. Take a sewing class ASAP.

I’ve only ever repaired things and made one dress. It was a medieval style dress (I’ll post pics sometime). Not very good though- only one layer of fabric and a hint of trim.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

I don’t think I’d make a good fashion consultant. I’d just say how much I loved everything you wore…

Exactly. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

This just further fills me with anticipation for Game of Thrones. The people reporting from the set said that the costumes were extremely well done, so I’m looking forward to that.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

So… note to self. Take a sewing class ASAP

steals note

I’mma try to fit in a sewing class for next fall’s semester. I’ve sewn a few things, but I’m really bad about following directions, so usually my creations don’t turn out too well. >> I can make corsets, though.

I made one for Elanor and even though it wasn’t for me I still couldn’t bring myself to stop fatally cutting corners. D: Fail.

YOU MAKE CORSETS????????????????????????????????

O.O

WANT!

You make corset, I’ll attach a dress to it. It’ll be sooooooooo pretty.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

They’re really not all that.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Well they may be Pretty Cool but it’s not like you can just wear them in public any old time. =(

I use the excuse of historical festivals to wear them. :D

This is what it would look like. Only amethyst. Or deep scarlet. Or sapphire blue? Or maybe emerald… :D

Corsets???

Arwen’s dresses???

I heartily endorse this thread.

Hey, corsets are Made of Win Tm. Any girl who says she doesn’t want one? Lying, sir, she is lying.

Hey, corsets are Made of Win Tm. Any girl who says she doesn’t want one? Lying, sir, she is lying.

No argument here.

Any guys objecting to dating a girl with a corset???

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus

Anyway, one never “sells” the rights to a film adaptation, they only ever hire or rent the rights. As soon as the film is made all rights to that work revert to the original author, as I understand it.

The question is, if you sell the rights, do you get royalties? I think the answer is no.

When an artist as a commercial success, on of two things can happen. Either 1) they use their popularity and financial security to explore the bounds of their art or 2) they sell out. The way I see it, merchandizing only becomes a problem when the drive to make money corrupts the artistic process. Rather than producing work that’s meaningful and entertaining, you’re producing stuff that makes good action figures.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

Any guys objecting to dating a girl with a corset???

No. But the practical part of my brain might grumble a bit.

Corsets are just like bras, only way prettier. Unless you go crazy and cinch them too tight.

See Apep? now shut that practical part up and enjoy! XD

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

It’s just the one bit. The rest of my brain just ignores it.

They’re better than bras. One of my best friends in high school was the sort of dork who’d get dressed up for the nearby ren-faire during the summer and she had some pretty big jugs. Long story short, corset = good times.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2009

Aw, jeez. What have I begun? D:

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus

Any girl who says she doesn’t want one? Lying, sir, she is lying.

Remember how corsets used to be rib-cracking symbols of misogyny?

I’ve heard that they’re not that uncomfortable as long as you don’t lace them too tightly.

I’ve heard that they’re not that uncomfortable as long as you don’t lace them too tightly.

You know, like shoes.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2009 edited

Nope, they’re not uncomfortable. If they’re really well-made, they’re actually quite pleasant to wear.

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus

I’ll take your word for that. ;)

Pics or it isn’t true.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Sorry. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac

Nope, they’re not uncomfortable. If they’re really well-made, they’re actually quite pleasant to wear.

They also support your back and promote good posture. ^^b

In that case, I need a corset, because I think my posture’s really sucky. o.O

Wow, sansa, perving on your best friend. Way to go.

I’d like to wear one but like Spanman, I’d rather save it for the historical fairs. Still, who actually goes to those things and why? Meaning I’m corsetless for the rest of my days. Unless I become a period-drama actress, which I’d love.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Still, who actually goes to those things and why?

I’m sorry. I’m one of those nerds who goes to those things and occasionally dresses up for them (because, seriously, when else am I going to get hte chance to dress up? It’s just one big excuse to wear a corset under a ridiculous amount of period clothing).

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2009

Forget about peer pressure, they’ll think you’re awesome. :D Inside they’re all wishing they could do the same. At least, that’s what I tell myself.

Wow, sansa, perving on your best friend. Way to go.

Whatever, I never did anything with her out of respect for the friendship even though she was pretty open about wanting to ride the Sansafro Express. I’d bet most of the girls here probably would’ve drooled a little over her in a corset, so you can’t blame me for looking.

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2009

It’s just one big excuse to wear a corset under a ridiculous amount of period clothing).

If you were really committed, you’d wear the corset above all of the period clothing.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2009

On the contrary, being committed means wearing the clothes correctly. Sorry.

Anyway, though, what kind of user doesn’t read the hide text? :D

Sansa, I was kinda half-kidding. It’s none of my business, really :D

And Sansafro Express is too funny for me to not mention it either.

Twilight Burger King commerical freaked me out. I will NEVER go that far.

However, the Burger King mascot is about as creepy as Edward, so it got me thinking…switching them around would undoubtedly yield entertaining results.

Can you imagine a McDonald’s ad with RPattz dressed up in a Ronald McDonald costume?

eyes bleed

hands you brain bleach

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2009

Actually, that would probably make Ronald McDonald less terrifying.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

Less terrifying than what? Pennywise?

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Less terrifying than how he is now.

He’s a strange clown who gives children unhealthy food. His dark, beady eyes stare into my soul. And that painted grin…the horror.