Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

Ok, question- what’s another way to say ‘shrugged’? Because I feel like I’ve been using that word so much, but it’s what my characters are doing, and I think that it conveys something.

I’d also like to know this, since I use it a ton also :x

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2009

Well, there are different types of shrugging. Some people tilt their head. Others toss their hair. Some others lift a hand in a sweeping motion. And then, of course, there’s the classic shoulder shrug. Try varying up their shrugging motions a bit based on the characters.

For example, the first time a character shrugs:

Lorie tossed her hair back in her typical shrug. “I don’t know.”

And later on in the story:

“Where do you want to go?”

Lorie just tossed her head, sending her brown bangs behind her right shoulder, and looked at Anne.

It has the added bonus of allowing you to describe the characters’ appearances without disrupting the flow of action. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

You could always describe in detail, a la Paolini:

A flickering sea-blue shimmer ran from the base of Saphira’s head to the crest of her shoulders as the tips of the sharp, diamond-shaped scales along the sides of her neck rose a fraction of an inch from the underlying skin.

The verb that I use far too much is ‘sigh’.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac

You could always describe in detail, a la Paolini

Except that I actually had to have someone point out to me that Saphira was shrugging. You can’t describe in too much detail else the main action will get lost.

The verb that I use far too much is ‘sigh’.

Me too. D:

I think I overuse “sigh” as well.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2009 edited

I think it’s because people sigh quite a lot, in many different contexts. There’s the contented sigh, the weary sigh, the lonely/wistful sigh, the long-suffering sigh, the frustrated sigh (though I tend to use ‘growl’ for frustration), the sigh of complaint (huff?) and a few others. It’s just such a universal action, but with onyl one really nice, proper word to cover it.

EXACTLY!

I try to convey a sigh through dialogue when I can, but shrugging is just…I don’t know. It’s what they do. I have this DVD going through my head of how characters move and talk as things are going on. (Does anyone else do this?)

Yes! Then I want to animate it or sketch it. Or film it.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2009

Here’s another word I have trouble with- smile.

There’s the grin, which is rather mischevious, the smirk, which is condescending, but what about a really sweet, sincere smile?

(I have a character who smiles a lot in this specific scene, and it’s kind of weird to say that ‘she smiled’, ‘she smiled’, ‘she smiled’. And repetitive. And boring. And you get the point.)

•  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2009 edited

I have a problem with the word “turn”, which I use a lot in action scenes. The only other synonyms that I can readily think of are “spin” and “rotate”, and the latter sounds out of place for an action scene.

Another word I don’t want to overuse is “rustle”. My story is about cloned dinosaurs living in a nature preserve in Guatemala, so there’s a number of scenes in which the dinosaurs’ appearances are foreshadowed by the disturbance of vegetation.

I really overuse “turn” also, even in nonaction scenes. You can use “whirl” if it’s appropriate, although in my experience it wears out really quick if you use it too frequently.

I’d also like to say that I hate the word “smirk,” since every doucherocket antihero who’s supposed to be all edgy and sardonic(another word I hate) and snarky tends to smirk constantly. I think I’ve used it only maybe two or three times in ~110k words, and only the villain does it, since he’s an asshole.

And ‘smirk’ is completely inappropriate for the smile I’m trying to convey.

If you really need to have your person smiling repeatedly, I don’t think having “X verbed” is going to be that much better than “X smiled” if it’s the only way you go about it. You’ll probably need to get creative and find a more abstract way to reference repeated smiling without simply cycling synonyms.

Sorry that’s such fuzzy advice X(

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2009

SNQ: given the average intelligence of today’s mass-m,arket, you might get away with a little-known synonym for ‘smile’: ‘smeyes’. Yes, this is how much I trust the reading public, especially the Twihard variety.

snarky tends to smirk constantly.

The protagonist in my story smirks almost constantly. But he’s supposed to be arrogant and stuffs, so…

What does it actually mean to ‘purse’ your lips?

I suddenly wondered…

I have a problem with the word “turn”, which I use a lot in action scenes. The only other synonyms that I can readily think of are “spin” and “rotate”, and the latter sounds out of place for an action scene.

Gyrate?

@ SWQ: I think it means you pinch them together to indicate displeasure.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2009

Whirl? Twist?

I like whirl for an action scene.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

Gyrate has always sounded… dirty to me. I’m not quite sure why, but it unleashes my inner perv.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Yeah, either that, or… well, it sounds like dancing. Not really fighting.

When someone says ‘gyrate’ I think ‘Elvis’. Not really what you want to go for in a fight scene.

Saying ‘gyrate’ was actually rather tongue-in-cheek.

Sorry for the confusion.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2009

what did Paolini use for “turning around”? I seem to remember a full paragraph dedicated to the action.

Do you want me to Paolini-ise that one too?

Eragon sensed something warm and large directly behind him. Slowly he rotated his body, keeping his feet flat on the ground and flexing his knees to beware of any sudden movement. His head twisted to the side, his blue eyes alert and darting to the side like fighting fish, exactly the way his body wasn’t. His hand moved in minute increments to reach his sword, should it become necessary.

He uses the phrase “spun widdershins” at least once. If any of you ever use that phrase unironically, I will walk to your house and punch you.

Which way is widdershins?

Hell if I know. I think it just means “turn around,” but there’s no way I’m looking such a profoundly stupid word up just to confirm it.

•  
      CommentAuthorPearl

“in a direction contrary to the natural one, esp. contrary to the apparent course of the sun or counterclockwise: considered as unlucky or causing disaster.”
    According to dictionary.com, that is what widdershins means.

I saved you sansa.

Well, that solves that I suppose. It’s still a really stupid word, and its usage is pointless when at least 100% of your readers would have to look it up if they really wanted to know what it meant. Talk about flow-breaking.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Aha! I believe it was… Roran that spun widdershins? I always knew he would cause disaster…

Indeed. Something tells me CP didn’t look it up after seeing it in his thesaurus.

•  
      CommentAuthorPearl
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2009 edited

It sounds like a name. Willy Widdershins. It acutally sounds familiar…

Ah yes. He set up a series of regurgitating toilets and was arrested by the ministry of magic.
    So even if using it as an adverb is ridiculous, at least you can make it into a great last name. :)

For a moment, I thought you were going to reference A Series of Unfortunate Events.

•  
      CommentAuthorPearl
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2009 edited

In Lemony Snicket’s series A Series of Unfortunate Events, Captain Widdershins was the captain of the Queequeg, his submarine. He was the stepfather of Fiona and Fernald, who was missing. In The Grim Grotto, he finds Klaus, Violet, and Sunny Baudelaire at sea when he was looking for the sugar bowl, and takes them aboard the Queequeg. He is extremely emphatic, with almost all of his sentences being exclamations, and permeates his speech with the word “Aye!”. His personal philosophy is “He who hesitates is lost”, which the Baudelaires find to be unreasonable.

After sending the Baudelaires and Fiona into the Gorgonian Grotto in The Grim Grotto, he and Phil appear to desert the Queequeg. In The Penultimate Peril, Kit Snicket says that she went water-skiing in order to find Captain Widdershins, but it is likely that she failed.

I googled it.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2009 edited

Widdershins is the opposite direction to Turnwise, on the Discword. Sir Pratchett probably only used an existing word, though. I highly doubt he coined it himself.

I was initially referring to that Dwarf Ninja scene in Brisingr, where Eragon jumps up, lands feet-first on the roof, jumps back down with a half-spin and lands facing his opponent. Except expressed far more verbsely and purple-prosy.

Pearl spends too much time on Google.

Widdershins has been around for ages.

Yeah, maybe in crazy Australasia land. Here in the YOONITED STATES OF AMURRIKAH we don’t use such preposterous phrases.

Man, Hugh Laurie looks goofy there. Still, he gets it.

Which way is widdershins?

It’s left. :D
    HUGH LAURIE! I love him.

Rule of thumb: If fifty percent or more of your readers won’t understand the word you want to use and there’s another, equally good way to express your ideas, USE THE OTHER WAY.

Resurrecting this thread to relay an interesting bit of information:

According to Wikipedia (haven’t had the change to do more in depth research) if your story takes place in the 1800, it’s actually all right to use the word ‘okay’ in dialog, although maybe not in all the ways we use it now. Now I can use it in my WIP!

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2010

Huh, I thought it was a new thread.

I overuse the word ‘grin’, I think.

I have again been reminded I use “turn” way, way too much.

Question: do you think it’s jarring if I use the term ‘jamais vu’ in my writing? Basically, it’s the opposite of deja vu where a person looks at something familiar but momentarily can’t remember it. I can’t find a better word for it, but it’s not very common.

Potentially it could be, since most people have no idea what it means.

Hey, I know what it means :).

@SWQ: It depends on what story you use it in. If you use it in your WIP, I don’t think it’ll really fit, as it’s set in a world different from ours where French may not be spoken. If you’re using it in a work where the protag is a pretentious intellectual, go right ahead!

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2010 edited

Alternatively, you could try describing the feeling itself, rather than relying on a foreign-language catchphrase that doesn’t really do it justice in the first place.

I tend to overuse ‘grin’ and ‘smile’ (but not interchangeably). Also, I overuse ‘also’ like it was going out of fashion.

I tend to overuse ‘grin’ and ‘smile’ (but not interchangeably). Also, I overuse ‘also’ like it was going out of fashion.

Same here x_x

Hey, I know what it means :)

But you live in France. “Deja vu” in particular might be ubiquitous in Ammurica, but I can’t even use a phrase as relatively mundane as “je ne sais quoi” without getting blank looks.

Alternatively, you could try describing the feeling itself, rather than relying on a foreign-language catchphrase that doesn’t really do it justice in the first place.

This was my other option and I think it’s better. Thanks for the input, everyone.

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2010

I overuse ‘also’ and ‘thus’ in everyday writing. (e.g. essays, assignment, IM…)

I wasn’t aware of this, until I said that I couldn’t wait to go to Hungry Jack after netball carnival and my best friend, of all people, gave me a surprised look. She said that she didn’t know that I liked Hungry Jack. She’s been my best friend for 7 years! Said that I seemed too prim and proper for a burger, because I use posh/fancy language.

I’m hurt and insulted. T^T

This is really more of a stylistic question, but this thread seems like the closest thing. I’m rewriting on of my tent-pole scenes right now, and the key feature in it is repeated lightning strikes outside allowing two people fighting to see each others’ shadows through paper walls. It just seems lame to write “lightning struck again” so I figured I’d put some kind of repeated cue whenever it happened. Like, as an example:

[stuff happening in the dark]

Crack.

[stuff happening while it’s briefly lit]

Anybody have any opinion on it?

•  
      CommentAuthorthat girl
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2010 edited

@No One

YOU CANT BLAME ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You just seem Posh but if it make you feel better I love Hungery Jacks too.

(it would of been more surprising if you said McDonalds I DISPISE THEM!)

P.S. It was not that you use posh language but your attatude I mean.............. hard to explain....

I like the idea of using an italicized crack.

the key feature in it is repeated lightning strikes outside allowing two people fighting to see each others’ shadows through paper walls

Might I just say that sounds freakin’ awesome?

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2010 edited

Might I just say that sounds freakin’ awesome?

I hope so. The initial attempt ended up being pretty confusing, but since it was one of the first ideas I had for the story, I’m not going to drop the scene regardless of writing difficulty.

Crack. it is then. Maybe I can be clever and tie that specific word choice in with the deterioration of the male lead’s composure during it… maybe.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2010

Does lightning crack, though? I would use “Flash.“ personally. I mean, unless it’s right next to you, lightning doesn’t actually have a sound that I know of.

Oh yeah, the crack is more associated with the thunder, isn’t it? I think it works, though, because thunder and lightning are pretty inseparable in my mind. Unless, of course, your scene only has lightning.

They’re right in the middle of the storm, and I figure any lightning bolts close enough to believably light up the building are close enough to the listener for the thunder to be essentially simultaneous.

Conveniently, I just heard some distant thunder. Time to get my write on, I guess.

They’re right in the middle of the storm, and I figure any lightning bolts close enough to believably light up the building are close enough to the listener for the thunder to be essentially simultaneous.

Then using ‘crack’ should be okay.

Doublepost- I have been overusing the word ‘curious’ and related versions. I don’t know, there’s something about that particular connotation that ‘inquisitive’ or ‘inquiring’ doesn’t quite cover.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2010

You could try “interested”, “fascinated” or something similar.

Hmmm…maybe I’ll just overuse curious now and fix it later. XP

I’ve way, way overused “seemed.”

Oh, me too.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2010

Ruffian. It’s so bad that, every time I come across the word in my draft, I’m consumed with helpless giggles.

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2010

I overuse the word awesome. I better start looking for an appropriate word to replace it.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2010

I overuse a lot of filler words. My story is in 1st person and my characters have their vocal tics and such. But I need to fix it.