Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

Since the Gender thread seemed to steer off-course and briefly focus on the Caped Crusader, I just thought that we needed a thread about Batman.

So, discuss.

BATMAN APPROVED

Batman. Is. Awesome.

Or there’s the geek image of god:

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2009

Its sad how bad most Batman cartoons are these days… Batman Beyond I disliked very, very much. The Batman was pretty winsome for having Batman vs, Dracula, what’s more awesome then Vampire Joker? But yeah, neithor of them compare to Batman: The Animated Series.

Batman Beyond I disliked very, very much.

Well that just proves you have no taste.

The Batman was pretty winsome for having Batman vs, Dracula, what’s more awesome then Vampire Joker? But yeah, neithor of them compare to Batman: The Animated Series.

True on that, but “Brave & the Bold” is how “fun Batman” can be done without camp.

Batman Beyond I disliked very, very much.

But… why?

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

It just seemed so… bleh. The story wasn’t that great, the villains were also bleh… There were just a lot of things I didn’t like about it. =|

Did you ever see “Return of the Joker” or “Epilogue”? (though the latter was in JLU)

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Yeah, I saw both and liked them. There were some Villains I liked, Inque, because she was like a different version of Clayface. And Royal Flush Gang. But yeah, the Jokerz were pathetic, Wille Watt, Cobra and others… not so much.

the Jokerz were pathetic,

What’s funny was even the Joker pointing that out.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

What about The New Batman Adventures? I found it almost as good as Batman: The Animated Series. I liked how it had Nightwing in it, who is probably my favorite superhero. xP

TAS was the best, and Mask of the Phantasm was boss. I saw it in theaters and it was sweet.

Anyone here think George Clooney made a good Batman? Didn’t his suit have nipples or something?

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2009

Yeeeeeeaaaah. oO

hehe, that picture is great. I hope it haunts Clooney’s dreams.

I thought it was a terrible cast TBH. He’s a good actor, but IMO Batman shouldn’t be smirky.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2009 edited

THERE’S NO BEATING THE BEST.

BY WHICH I MEAN, THERE’S NO BEATING THE WEST.

TAS was the best, and Mask of the Phantasm was boss. I saw it in theaters and it was sweet.

Sansfro, I think you and I were one of only 3 people to. (yes, it was mind-blowing)

In retrospect, I’m surprised they actually swung a theatrical release. It doesn’t seem like they’d be able to do that nowadays.

In retrospect, I’m surprised they actually swung a theatrical release. It doesn’t seem like they’d be able to do that nowadays.

Especially with DC direct doing so well on the dvd market.

Of course, back then there was probably such a perfect storm of circumstances (off the top of my head I can name: B:tAS at height of popularity, derth of comic movies, slow point in the season, etc) that no, it probably wouldn’t be released in theaters today.

Such is life and the biz.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2009

You know how you die a little inside every time you hear someone waxing eloquent about the coff merits of Twilight? I grew back some of my insides by seeing this thread title. :)

This all reminds me: I need to finish watching B:TAS.

Also, here’s a shocking revelation.

It’s ALFRED!!!

That would have been such an awesome twist in The Dark Knight.

lolwut

Which title has such an absurd twist?

Alfred actually looks pretty young there.

Which title has such an absurd twist?

It was from a oneshot by Neil Gaiman where everybody goes to Batman’s funeral and gives their eulogy.

But…but…but… I wuv Alfred. Well, the Michael Caine Alfred anyway. He’s adorably badass!

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2009

I’m not quite sure how that’s possible…

Because he looks like your favorite uncle/ grandfather figure, but he’s badass. You know, he’s a fabulous mentor, very understanding, but he saves Batman from a burning building! And smacks goons on the head with blunt objects!

I’m not quite sure how that’s possible…

Which one? Alfred being Joker or Batman being “dead”?

A badass being adorable, I think he meant.

Now that I know it’s just from a oneshot and not a regular ongoing book, it sounds like a pretty cool idea rather than a pretty dumb one.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2009

Ooh, I loved that oneshot. It was awesome. Everyone’s telling their versions of how Batman died (the Joker, Catwoman, Two-Face…), and Batman’s like “...lolwut? Am I dead?”

And then his mother shows up.

•  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2009

Linkara is full of awesome, and I agree with him that Frank Miller is overrated (though what bugs me the most about Miller is his decision to depict the Persian antagonists of his “300” as black).

Is this oneshot a printed book sold in stores?

There’s a hardcover version of it (along with a bunch of other stories).

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2009

Haha, one of these days when I’m feeling particularly masochistic, I’ll have to read that.

TWELVE YEAR-OLD DICK GRAYSON, AGE TWELVE, IS CURRENTLY TWELVE YEARS OF AGE

And this is from the guy who wrote Year One and The Dark Knight Returns.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2009

^^ I know! He’s slipping in his old age.

(actually, how old is he? All I know is that Year One and The Dark Knight Returns are fabulous, and The Other Book is… not so much.)

Also, sansa, lol. I know only two things about That Book- the DICK GRAYSON AGE TWELVE thing and the eating rats thing.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2009

Dark Knight Returns first ran in 1986, so Miller’s been at it for a while.

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow

I dislike that Batman is now supposedly dead. How dare they? If Superman is supposedly immortal-ish, then so is Batman!

He’ll return WIllow (there was a hint at where he is at the end of FC7 – the suckfest).

Still! Batman does not die. He’s the best one!

Stupid Godmodded overpowered goodie two shoes boring Superman…. >.<

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Well, to make sure Batman didn’t die they made Batman Beyond…

It’s ok, I feel the same way.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2009 edited

Oh, pshh, of course Batman isn’t going to stay dead. We’re talking about a bunch of comic book writers who didn’t even leave Jason Todd dead. Besides, do you realize he’s in more comics right now than Dick Grayson, who is actually Batman at the moment? And the whole point of Red Robin at the moment is to find out whether Bruce is still alive or not.

Also, while I think having Dick be Batman is interesting, if Bruce Wayne actually stays dead, there are going to be a lot of very, very despondent fangirls. Starting with myself.

• CommentTimeNov 22nd 2009

Sniffle Bruce Wayne.

Must…not…drool….

I hear you Willow.

I mean uh… wait.

• CommentTimeNov 22nd 2009 edited

It’s ok, Nate.

Resumes attempting to not drool

You ever seen “being john malkovich”?

Screw that, I’d love being Christian Bale for 1 day.

Um…so you could have sex with yourself? Because I’m pretty sure he’s married and has a kid, so you couldn’t ethically go sleep with random hot chicks…

Not that, I’d just like to see what it’d be like to be 2 more kinds of awesome than I am.

Ohh. Carry on then. Here’s a present.

Um…I’ll be in my bunk. Kthanxbai.

Um….

Ok, Batman + Poison Ivy…threesome…

I’ll…I’ll be in my bunk.

Why just 3 Willow….... ?

[nudge nudge wink wink]

0_o

Umm….Runs away

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

OK, so Christian Bale is pretty good, but…

Let’s just say I agree with the old lady from the beginning of Batman and Robin #6.

Ahem…

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Harley is pretty awesome, I do have to admit…

I’m still not happy that Catwoman’s living with Poison Ivy, but Harley’s OK. She’s just obsessed with her puddin’.

Wait, Nate, you’d show up as that? Hmmm…

• CommentAuthorDanielle
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2009

He has returned…

Huge spoilers for those who haven’t read the latest Blackest Night yet.

Darn you Marquis! I didn’t get to the shop today!

• CommentTimeNov 25th 2009

The far right side is cut off…. I don’t get it :(

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2009

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA- head explodes

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

I don’t generally follow comics, so can I just check that I understood that properly?

Who Pimpsmacks the Watchmen?

• CommentAuthorDanielle

Who watches the Watchmen?

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!

• CommentAuthorDanielle

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2009

@Moldorm

Rather unsafe for small children GIF, so check behind your chair before proceeding. Still hilarious, though.

XD

MADE OF WIN.

• CommentAuthorDanielle

Wow.

Pretty hilarious.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2009

I definitely agree on the hidden comment… but the idea itself was funny enough.

I’m sorry, that is just not right.

Alfred is always a diminutive little butler with an English accent pottering after Bruce Wayne. He is awesome, but not bodybuilder, uber muscley awesome.

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2009 edited

I don’t know why anybody would want to answer Ultimate Marvel after goddamn Ultimatum.

Also he looks more like Sam Elliot to me.

I wish Marvel & DC would just do what I told them to already.

(sansa, are you and I the only comic fans on here? do we need a comics thread?)

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2009

Yeah, I’m not sold on the new interpretation of Alfred. I mean, I can accept Alfred having some form of muscles somewhere somehow, seeing as he used to be in some form of secret service or another, but… I dunno.

I like Batman’s new suit, though. Looks kind of Red Robin-ish. The only part I really dislike is the cape—it needs to be longer! I love the long swooshy cape that merrily defies physics!

I wouldn’t necessarily call myself a comics fan but I do read them casually. I tend to prefer relatively self-contained minis(Nextwave, SMLMJ, Empowered) over the long runners. I loved the Ultimate line before they brought Loeb in though, especially Ultimates and USM. They were great because they mostly did what they set out to do, to tell new stories using classic characters without shackling themselves to decades worth of continuity snarls.

I do think it’d be worth making a dedicated comics thread, although I’d say it should cover manga as well since I know we have people who read it. A sequential art thread, if you will.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I’ve been reading Batman obsessively since I got started on it a few months back, so I guess you could call me a comics fan… I only read Batman and related titles, though, so I wouldn’t have anything else to contribute to a comics thread.

Well, I’ve read a few crossovers/JLA titles/Kingdom Come/some Superman stories I was able to get my hands on. But that’s about it.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

I read quite a few comics, too. It’s mostly 3rd party stuff, but I do read some stuff by DC (haven’t touched most of Marvel since the Civil War trades, but that’s neither here nor there).

Speaking of which, I just finished the thrid Superman Batman story (Absolute Power), and, well, let’s just say that time travel makes my brain hurt.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Seconded! And when they go to alternate universes and meet themselves… oh, boy. It doesn’t get any better.

While my interests mostly lay in the less mainstream stuff (Scott Pilgrim, LOEG, Sandman, Fables), you may as well call me a comics fan. Though I do read alot of Batman as well.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2009 edited

@ swenson:

That being said, I did enjoy the whole Golden Age Superman vs. Silver Age/Modern Superman in Infinite Crisis, but that also gave birth to the Reality Punch, so that’s a mixed result.

• CommentAuthorDanielle

....Am I the only one who thinks the new Alfred looks kind of cool? I mean, I can’t picture him like that in the current universe, but if DC is going to go all Ultimate on us….well, why not?

I also love the new Batman.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

....Am I the only one who thinks the new Alfred looks kind of cool? I mean, I can’t picture him like that in the current universe, but if DC is going to go all Ultimate on us….well, why not?

I don’t mind it that much either… Sure, I like the ‘normal’ Alfred, but why not? He was supposed to have worked as a British secret agent…

• CommentAuthorDanielle

I don’t mind it that much either… Sure, I like the ‘normal’ Alfred, but why not? He was supposed to have worked as a British secret agent…

Well, yeah. And if the Marvel writers can make Aunt May and Uncle Ben former hippies who met on a commune…well, why can’t DC give Alfred a six-pack?

Aunt May and Uncle Ben former hippies who met on a commune…

Wait, what? Now I have an image in my mind of Hippie Uncle Ben saying “With great pot comes great irresponsibility.”

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Plus, he lives with the Goddamn Batman… he should have some fighting skillz and muscles.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2009

Meh, I suppose. I just never thought of him as being much of a hand-to-hand combat sort of guy. But he’s not a wimp, I’ll give him that—after all, he does guard the Batcave with a shotgun.

Ah well, I’m sure I’ll get used to it quickly.

@Danielle – and I definitely agree on the new Batman! I think the length of the ears on the cowl look about right (I’ve never been a fan of the ridiculously long ones), and no underwear on the outside of his pants is a Very Good Thing. Still wish his cape was longer, but maybe it will be in execution…

• CommentAuthorDanielle
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2009 edited

Wait, what? Now I have an image in my mind of Hippie Uncle Ben saying “With great pot comes great irresponsibility.”

dies laughing
    It was in Ultimate Spiderman #1. Uncle Ben and Aunt May are flirting with each other (in that cute old person-type way) and he mentions something about “the first time I saw you on that commune,” implying they met on a commune.

@Danielle – and I definitely agree on the new Batman! I think the length of the ears on the cowl look about right (I’ve never been a fan of the ridiculously long ones), and no underwear on the outside of his pants is a Very Good Thing. Still wish his cape was longer, but maybe it will be in execution…

That’s what always bugged me about Superman. It’s like he said “My costume doesn’t look heroic enough and—oh crap! I forgot to put underwear on this morning! Oh well. Ma never said anything about them having to be on the inside….” The new Batsuit looks awesome and so does Batman (me speaking both as a comic books fan and as a girl who knows a hot guy when she sees one). And no nipples is also a Very Good Thing.