Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2009

Who/What are your favorite author’s/books?

To start, The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas is probably one of my favorite books of all time, though I haven’t really gotten into The Count of Monte Cristo.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2009

ALEKSANDR SOLZHENITSYNONE DAY IN THE LIFE OF IVAN DENISOVICH.

So good, it deserves cap attack. :3

I adore The Lord of the Rings, and most everything by Neil Gaiman, except Stardust. Vonnegut is a pretty interesting author. Oooh, oooh, and Artemis Fowl totally deserves to be mentioned. ;)

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2009 edited

I love The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman, not so much The Subtle Knife or The Amber Spyglass.

I love The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman, not so much The Subtle Knife or The Amber Spyglass.

That’s exactly how I feel too.

Well, my favorites include:

-Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austen) – The Lord of the Rings (J.R.R. Tolkien) – The Silmarillion (J.R.R. Tolkien) – The Book Thief (Markus Zusak) – I Am The Messenger (Markus Zusak) – To Kill A Mockingbird (Harper Lee)

And many more…

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2009

When I need some decent mushy fluff, Jane Austen’s Persuasion is always good.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2009

Douglas Adams and the Hitchhiker Trilogy (which currently has six books…) is a favorite of mine (along with the aforementioned Tolkien, Austen, and Eoin Colfer). I also love the Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis (as well as most of the rest of his writing).

• CommentAuthorsimian
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2009

I love to hate Harlan Ellison, Angry Candy is my favorite of his short story compilations. If we're talking classics, then I have to say H.G. Wells, specially War of the Worlds, The Time Machine, and The Invisible Man. More current, I've always found Vernor Vinge to be very entertaining. Actually, looking at my list of favorite books (I have an account on Shelfari) it seems while I read a lot of fiction, my favorites tend to be non-fiction. Weird.

I’ll just say the unknown ones that need more attention since I have too many well-known favourites:

- From E to You by Chris d’Lacey and Linda Newberry. This is about an email exchange thing. The twist is that Chris writes the girl and Linda writes the guy, and it’s AWESOME.

- 45 + 47 Stella Street and everything that happened by Elizabeth Honey. Basically, the next-door neighbours are money-launderers and the narrator hooks you in with her chatty voice and awesome characters. Kid action story to the max, but it’s believable.

- Dreamhunter by Elizabeth Knox. The most lyrical prose, vibrant characters, creative plot, and interesting premise I’ve ever read, all in one book.

- I Capture The Castle by Dodie Smith. Set in the 1930s (when the author was actually alive, too!) and about a girl and her impoverished family trying to make ends meet. Cassandra’s voice alone makes this novel amazing. Probably my favourite book of all time. JK Rowling loves this book, in case you need more incentive.

- Possibly ‘How I Live Now’ by Meg Rosoff. Daisy’s voice is unusual and fresh, and the writing is beautiful. The part that makes it a ‘possibly’ is that there’s a cousin/cousin thing happening there. But I can pretend that they aren’t related and that Edmond was adopted or something. Anyway, that’s not even what this book is about. Go read it and find out.

-‘Finding Cassie Crazy’ or ‘The Year of the Secret Assignments’ by Jacqueline Moriarty. Three girls end up doing a pen-pal assignment for school. Lydia’s the snarky one who gets along with Seb, the streetwise one. Charlie and Emily are the nice-people of the group. And then there’s Cassie, Lyd and Em’s friend, who’s been writing to somebody who may not even exist. Lydia and Em are getting worried. But the thing is, this plot is so hard to pin down, and it’s actually funny. It’s not ‘bittersweet’ (oh, how I loathe that word), it’s seriously, rip-roaringly funny. The whole thing ends up with a fake court case and it’s awesome beyond the extreme.

I think I have to stop now before I mention ‘The Screwtape Letters’ and ‘Enna Burning’ and… and…

Lord of the Rings, Chronicles of Narnia, Temeraire, and Star Wars books.(good ones)

[

A Madness of Angels, by Kate Griffin.
    Sabriel, Lirael, and Abhorsen by Garth Nix.
    Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson
    Mistborn, The Well of Ascension, and The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson.
    Elantris by Brandon Sanderson (though not as much).
    The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver.
    The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2009

The Count of Monte Cristo! Of course! That is indeed a fabulous book.

I’m also a fan (since I was, what, eight or nine?) of the Redwall books by Brian Jacques. I swear, I am not a furry.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2009

Pfft, being a fan of the books doesn’t make you a furry, that’s ridiculous.

Aw, crud, I still haven’t got Doomwyte. Guh, the trouble is, when I leave off buying books I want, it becomes a massive long list in the Amazon wishlist and the price becomes a heckuva lot scarier. :(

I’m also a fan (since I was, what, eight or nine?) of the Redwall books by Brian Jacques.

SECONDED. I loved those books! I didn’t actually realize that all the sequels had the same plot until I was about 9… But yeah, lovely books those. :D

• CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2011

The Lord of the Rings
    The Hobbit
    The Silmarillion
    The Chronicles of Narnia
    The Prydain Chronicles
    The Westmark trilogy
    The Marvelous Misadventures of Sebastian
    King of the Wind
    The Misty trilogy, but especially the last one.
    Pretty much anything else by Marguerite Henry, (especially The White Stallions of Lipizza and Brown Sunshine of Sawdust Valley
    The Redwall books
    The Great Divorce
    A Tale of Two Cities
    Ivanhoe
    Jane Eyre
    Anything nonfiction by C.S. Lewis.
    The Screwtape Letters

@swenson

Running around thinking you’re Sonic reincarnated into a human form makes you a furry, not liking a good book series. D:

Anyways, the first book that came to my mind when I saw this was Peter Beagle’s Tamsin, so I guess I’ll say that and add more when I come home from school. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

Although there are a great many books that I truly love, I can never go past the first proper “grown up book” I ever read: The Hobbit. Beautiful in its simplicity, and nostalgia only makes it better.

•  
      CommentAuthorlookingforme
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2011 edited

Have I mentioned that I’ve started reading A Game of Thrones, and I absolutely adore it? Well, I do.

And I second you there, Taku…my dad read The Hobbit to me (admittedly so that we could get ready for the movies…) So not only is it a wonderfully written book that cheers me up every time I read it, I also have good memories of trying to knit while lying on my back, as my dad read to me, occasionally stopping to yell at me to put the goshdarn needles down before I poked my eyes out :D

My other favorites: The Lord of the Rings, Pride and Prejudice, Jane Eyre, Anne of Green Gables, Artemis Fowl, Harry Potter…I’m sure I can think of more!

EDIT: moondevourer, since you mentioned Tamsin, I have to put that on my list too, although it’s not nearly as good as The Last Unicorn :)

•  
      CommentAuthorThea

I have to second Steph on I Capture The Castle by Dodie Smith. I still have to go back and reread it. But she also wrote The New Moon with the Old, which I really enjoyed

Right now, the Rogue Agent series by K.E. Mills is up there.

So far my longest, consistently favorite series is Terry Pratchett’s Guards & Witch Discworld series.

Other than that I generally switch favorites too often, and I haven’t really read anything in the past year or so that sticks out too much, mostly because I’ve been reading pretty critically, and not among just my stand-bys. Although Seperation by Dan Franck turned out really well.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2011

Right now, the Rogue Agent series by K.E. Mills is up there.

Oh hey, I’ve been reading that. Got the third one waiting for me. I enjoy it, but, I have to admit, I’m not that fond of the characters or the dialogue.

Too much shouting. ><

•  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2011

Well, I confess my “now” is at least six months old…it’s just been a long time since I read a book I just unqualifiedly enjoyed…or let myself enjoy anyway. I don’t remember the shouting, but yeah, some of the characters can be grating, though I still liked Gerald.

•  
      CommentAuthorNinjaCat
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2011

I agree with... well, everyone, on Brian Jacques and Tolkien. I've always loved the Redwall books, since I grew up with the T.V. show and then the books. I think Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories have been my favorites since middle school, as with many of Shakespeare's plays. I love old books, they have a style that's been lost in the current years. I mean, Twillight? Eragon? No thanks.

A book that I've recently discovered would be Rick Yancey's The Monstrumologist. I had to read it for school, but I never expected it to become one of my favorites, as that list tends to be quite short. It has that 'older' theme to it, since it's set mainly in 1888. It's fiction, but the prologue suggests that it's really the journals of the narrator, thus an autobiography. Perhaps it's just me, but I love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2011

They might not be as high-brow as some of the authors in this thread, but I love Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. Their novels are Crichton-esque, but better. (except, of course, for the recent Pendergast novels. those could stop and I wouldn’t be too upset)