Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAdamPottle
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2009

Every time an empire of a hefty size is encountered in fiction, it is either decaying, corrupt or just plain evil. Why can't the small countries be horrid from time to time? Is it some sort of innate supporting of the underdog? I dunno.

Discuss I guess?
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2009

Same reason as why the hero is never as powerful as the villain- there’s no conflict if the “good” side can easily defeat the “evil” side, or at least there isn’t an easy conflict. It’s easy to say “good is small, evil is big. Thus, the story is about good gaining enough power to miraculously triumph.” It’s harder to say “good is big, evil is small. But evil still has bad effects, and here’s a story about, I dunno, defeating the seemingly minor evil within us or something.”

Also, it gives a story, especially a story that aims to be ‘epic’, a ‘bigger’ feel if you know what I mean.

The problem of having a large empire is that you can’t control everything. Small countries are easier to control because they are smaller. If you are the emperor, you have to control a series of governors/viceroys, their staff, plus all the village people. It is simply too hard to control all the corruption and what have you if it’s spread out over thousands of miles. The problem with empires like the Roman Empire was that it got too big to handle, and so they split it into the East and the West – a decision that should have been avoided, in retrospect.

On the other hand, small countries probably would be more closely knit, which would also mean more control. A small country would be easy to rule with an iron fist, because it’s physically smaller, so you don’t have to ride as far to arrest those peasants who were speaking belligerently about the king.

So yeah, a small country could be evil, but more in an organized-crime-slash-1984 way than a widespread-corruption-and-revolt way.

That’s why I always sorta have to eyeroll whenever I read about these big, evil empires helmed by singular totalitarians, especially in quasi-medieval fantasy. Where do they have the resources necessary to oppress on such a scale? It’d be marginally easier to believe in an evil oligarchy supported by an evil bureaucracy, but nine times out of ten it’s an autocracy.

Yeah, I dunno, when it comes down to it, despite all logical issues, people tend to think anytime a bigger entity uses force against a smaller entity it constitutes bullying. If you’re big, you can’t punch a littler kid, but a littler kid can punch you. Therefore smaller countries in fiction are rarely allowed to be evil since a big good country would look mean if they fought.

Well, there is a basis in reality. The empire expands expands expaaaands – and collapses. Because what goes up must come down, usually through some form of revolution or invasion, made possible when the ruling class grows incompetent and corrupt. So why do they become incompetent and corrupt? Because of a decay in ideals. Someone, a real leader of the people comes into power. He understands the people, what they want and need and uses his power to service the public as opposed to himself. Then he dies, and his second in command takes charge. Things are still steady, though perhaps not as good as before – perhaps even better though. Then this leader dies, resigns, or what have you, and so on. Eventually, the society is of a generation completely detached from its original founders. These people did not experience the crucial events that shaped their ancestors and the foundations of their society; they have forgotten what they originally stood for. The people in power begin to service themselves rather than the public, breeding corruption and incompetence. Eventually the public has enough, there is a revolution and a new regime is put in place, a regime borne of renewed ideals of Greater Good for the public… and so the cycle continues.

Isn’t there quite a few comedies (I can think of a KotH episode in particular) with small “tiny terrors” that are bothering larger forces but the larger forces can’t fight back because of how it’d look?

I think AdamPottle’s question can be best answered by: Sure that kitten may have bitten you, but who’s going to accept you punching and kicking it?

•  
      CommentAuthorAdamPottle
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2009

Guess you're right nate, but it seems that the kittens these days can take the shape of a man (a humongous kitten mecha if you will) and wander around causing havoc but the man still can't do anything. There seems to be a preference in fiction for a bunch of countries to seem better than one large one. Hmm.

Well I think “proportionate response” also deals with it too. You know some of those smaller countries might be able to do a little damage to the large ones, but the large ones can wipe them from the map (al la nukes). Think about how the justice system alone treats smaller kid offenders compared to larger, adult offenders.

Time will tell (especially with terrorists) how long this remains the norm but I’d say if you want to do a story where goliath kicks david’s well-beatdown deserving prick ass, then you need to make sure David really REALLY earns it.

• CommentAuthorsimian

All mecha kittens should be destroyed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAdamPottle

Nate: The punkass david does feel the beatdown, but it's what happens after that's the focus of the story- how the world reacts to the conflict.

simian: agreed!

There seems to be a preference in fiction for a bunch of countries to seem better than one large one. Hmm.

Well…lots of people, myself included, have a preference for decentralized power, rather than having one central power over all the land.

I’m trying to include a government in my story (not overly complex, I hope) where the king isn’t the only player, although he’s pretty much the most powerful. (It’s not a constitutional monarchy, really.)

I like constitutional monarchies. I live in one. It’s cool because we have a queen but she doesn’t do anything.

You know some of those smaller countries might be able to do a little damage to the large ones, but the large ones can wipe them from the map (al la nukes). Think about how the justice system alone treats smaller kid offenders compared to larger, adult offenders.

Yeah, but doesn’t Korea or some country like that have nukes?

Yeah, but doesn’t Korea or some country like that have nukes?

So they wouldn’t be a “small guy”. Guns, nukes, etc are the great equalizers

So how are we defining ‘small’ then?

I was defining it by power.

Ah. But any country needs some sort of power to have the ‘organised crime’ scenario, therefore making this definition pointless, right?

Well yes Steph but some countries can still be more powerful than others.

Yes, but I thought we were talking about size in terms of population and possible land area.

I did, too – that’s what I based my crime vs. corruption analogy on.

However, it still applies. A big, weak country wouldn’t be big for very long. Similarly, a small, powerful country would soon get bigger because humans are greedy.

Yes, but I thought we were talking about size in terms of population and possible land area.

That depends on your level of technology. If we’re talking around medieval level, then population and land size is relevant because that’s how big of an army (a factor of power) a nation can field.

As technology goes up, the power starts shifting. True, often in people’s minds nations are judged by population and land size (old habits and all that) but with tech that’s less and less a determinate.

Think of the movie 300 (or the historical event, whichever you prefer). Now imagine Sparta has 1000+ H-bombs. Is Persia that much of a concern any more?
    (“The nations of the Persian empire descend upon you.” KABOOM! “More like the dust of the Persian empire.”)

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2009

(“The nations of the Persian empire descend upon you.” KABOOM! “More like the dust of the Persian empire.”)

XD

Words fail to describe the hilarious awesomeness of that scenario.

That depends on your level of technology. If we’re talking around medieval level, then population and land size is relevant because that’s how big of an army (a factor of power) a nation can field.

As technology goes up, the power starts shifting. True, often in people’s minds nations are judged by population and land size (old habits and all that) but with tech that’s less and less a determinate.

think of the movie 300 (or the historical event, whichever you prefer). Now imagine Sparta has 1000+ H-bombs. Is Persia that much of a concern any more?

Lol. What’s the point of this discussion then?

The Point? That size does not equal power in hi-tech settings.
    Fantasy, which is usally set in a medieval tech level+magic, big=powerful. Unless the other side has lots of magic users on their side.

Thanks. I was getting confuzzled.