Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2009 edited

Yeah, I don’t know how much actual interest there would be in a thread like this, given we’re a bunch of nerds, and nerds don’t stereotypically care for sports. Still worth a shot, though.

I guess just discuss anything sports-related here.

Personally, I will say that I only really enjoy football since it’s the only sport I have deep enough knowledge of to appreciate on a cerebral level. I can watch most other sports, but I won’t go out of my way for them.

My favorite teams are the Steelers(yeah, I know, I ought to be a Cowboy fan) in the NFL, and in the NCAA I like Notre Dame and any competitive Big 12 team. I hate the Patriots and USC, and all major Florida schools to a lesser extent.

Post anything you like.

Possible discussion topic: The BCS, terrible system, or terriblest system?

I don’t get football. I actually don’t get baseball either.

Football is a kind of turn-based strategy game with real people instead of icons, and with both players’ turns taking place at once. As for baseball, it’s like Monopoly, except that there are only four spaces, the ratio between the batter’s hitting proficiency and the fielders’ catching proficiency replaces the dice, and you can’t buy any property.

That’s the best baseball analogy I’ve ever heard in my life.

That compliment means a lot to me, as I love analogies dearly.

It was deserved.

That said, I don’t enjoy baseball very much, especially Major League. I think if I better understood the nuances of “small ball” as they call it, and more MLB teams played that way, I could enjoy it, but otherwise it just feels like watching football where people only ever call Hail Marys.

Also, generalized player skillsets bore me too much.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2009

I’m a swimmer. And because I’m an uncultured idiot even in my own sport, I don’t know any more names of really famous swimmers than the average Joe. However, I do swim in the summer team in Louisburg, a town of probably no more than 2,000 people, and of course I have to add that WE WON THE FINALS and even Harrisonville got their ass kicked, which is yet more proof that there isn’t always strength in numbers.

Um, yeah. So. Swimming. Otherwise I’m not really into sports all that much.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Wheeee

Soccer (Or Football), for me. I love it, my team got second in state. :D

I don’t know any more names of really famous swimmers than the average Joe.

And I don’t know the names of any famous soccer players. :P

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

That puts my mind at rest.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Being in C1 this year and getting our asses handed constantly makes me feel bad for all the teams we destroyed. D:

I also used to play backyard football but all the neighbor kids moved away. :P

And I don’t know the names of any famous soccer players. :P

There are famous soccer players?

AWWW SNAP

•  
      CommentAuthorAdamPottle

there was the French headbutt buddy with the silly name.
    •  
      CommentAuthorhappycrab91

I just don't get the big deal about most sport. When it's a sport like Tennis or Golf or swimming where there is only 1 winner, I guess I can see why people would cheer for a particular player and feel excitement when they're winning or suspense when you don't know which way it'd go, then be happy or sad if they win or lose. I get this because since it's just 1 person you probably know a reasonable amount about the person's personality and such and thus you like them as a person and want them to succeed.

But when it comes to team sports, the players change around so much and there are so many of them that I don't believe anyone truely knows all of them in name and personality. Instead of learning what everyone on every single team is like and thus choosing the team with the most people you like, it usually comes down to you cheering for the team from your home town or the team that wins the most or just picking a random team to follow.
    It makes no difference what team wins. All teams are just a group of ever changing people, some of which may win a lot more than others, but by the end of the match what difference does it really make which team won? They are just going to have another chance of winning next match or season. It's the exact same thing every game. They chase after a ball.
    It's not like a fictional TV series where you learn a lot about the characters and become emotionally invested in them and thus care if they die or are sad or whatever.

Now if you are one of the people actually playing sport, it does matter if you win or lose because you're doing it for yourself, want to succeed and be well-known, want to make money. But otherwise it only matters if you have a bet on a game, or if a friend or family member is in a team. Sport can sometimes be cool when someone pulls off a cool move in soccer or something, but other than that it's pretty meh. Well that's my two cents...

It’s the exact same thing every game.

I’m not really sure this is the right thread for you.

Almost certainly not. This thread should be for people who want to have nice discussions about what they like about sport and what they play. I just like voicing/typing my bad opinion for all to hear/read. And now it's here forever unless a moderator deletes it or the site goes down.
    • CommentAuthorIsabel
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2009

I definitely disagree that it's only important when betting or knowing someone on a team. You start to follow particular teams quite closely. It's also really exciting to go out to a sports game and actually watch the team play live. The atmosphere is awesome. Although, I'm talking football and soccer. The stadiums are loud and everyone's cheering and chanting.

But for me, I watch mostly soccer with a bit of football (Go Bears). I used to play soccer, but then I quit because the competitive level of high school made it not fun anymore. I switched to badminton where everyone's way nicer and it's more relaxed. I also do horse back riding, which is most definitely a sport. Anyone who says otherwise will have their head ripped off.
    •  
      CommentAuthorElanor

there was the French headbutt buddy with the silly name.

Zidane (France) was the one who headbutted Materazzi (Italy). :D /random

Football/soccer is pretty much the only “popular” sport I’ll watch. Gymnastics and figure skating (love figure skating) I also watch, but that’s more…un-mainstream.

Go Bears

More like NO BEARS

Still pissed the Steelers dropped a game to them already… goddamn Madden curse.

Football/soccer is pretty much the only “popular” sport I’ll watch. Gymnastics and figure skating (love figure skating) I also watch, but that’s more…un-mainstream.

I dunno, gymnastics seems more popular than soccer for spectating, in Amurrica at least. Everyone only cares about watching gymnastics during Olympic season, but they really never care about watching soccer. I remember when the media was making a to-do out of that Beckham guy signing with some MLS team and how soccer would suddenly become a contender as a spectator sport… don’t think it panned out quite that well.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

HURGHURGURK, ew, sports.

Actually, I’ve always rather liked soccer, even though I can’t play.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

I like to do things like fencing and archery. I’m not particularly good at them, but it’s probably good for writing research. And stabbing people is always fun.

I like to do things like fencing and archery.

Ditto. Next year I’m taking up fencing. Hee hee, I can’t wait! :D

>I like to do things like fencing and archery. I’m not particularly good at them, but it’s probably good for writing research.

From what I’ve read, they’re actually completely different from real combat.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

From what I’ve read, they’re actually completely different from real combat.

OK, so that was just a flimsy excuse to justify blatant escapism.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

goddamn Madden curse.

Completely off-topic, but there’s a guy in my English class named John Madden. Just throwing that out there since I have nothing to add to this conversation.

Completely off-topic, but there’s a guy in my English class named John Madden. Just throwing that out there since I have nothing to add to this conversation.

Lucky. I would have had a field day with that. Greet him by saying “BOOM!” and various Maddenisms, and write him notes saying “Do you have a crush on Brett Favre? Check yes or no!”

@the fencing people: Apparently my brother’s going to take up fencing, as his school is just starting one. He’s the armorer, whatever the hell that entails. Apparently they’ve got pistol-grip swords now, and he wants one so he can pretend he’s from Final Fantasy 8.

I don’t know how to respond to that.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Clap him on the shoulder and tell him you’re proud he’s such a blatant nerd?

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2009 edited

I also do horse back riding, which is most definitely a sport. Anyone who says otherwise will have their head ripped off. is welcome to ride the crazy stallion at my barn.

He’s safe, I promise! Just ignore the fact that he broke someone’s arm!

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2009

Apparently they’ve got pistol-grip swords now, and he wants one so he can pretend he’s from Final Fantasy 8.

I was the same. It wears off after a while.

• CommentAuthorIsabel
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2009 edited

Sorry, Diamonte. I don't have a death wish.

Maybe someday when I get better at riding. I fell off a couple years ago and haven't been the same since.

Clap him on the shoulder and tell him you’re proud he’s such a blatant nerd?

I was more shocked to find out that somebody other than me liked Final Fantasy 8.

So, I say Tom Brady is officially the world’s biggest pantywaist.
    Agree or agree?

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2009

Who is Tom Brady?
    I am too lazy to google him.

He isn’t affiliated with the BradyGames strategy guide making company, is he? Their Ruby/Sapphire guide sucked.

QB for the New England Patriots, media darling, and pansy of tremendous magnitude.

@ Moldorm: You don’t know who Tom Brady is? Wow, I don’t even know what a quarterback does and I know who Tom Brady is.

(Then again, I’m from NE, and sansafro pointed out that he is a media darling)

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2009

Pansy? But aren’t American Football players supposed to be physically imposing?

It varies by position, but generally yes, they are. That said, Tom Brady isn’t a pansy because of a lack of physical strength, but because he’s a little bitch about getting hit in a game built mostly around hitting people. Moreover, he actually referred to himself and the QB position as being “defenseless” and said that the defensive players shouldn’t be allowed near him, even though their job is to tackle him when he’s got the ball.

I’d recommend he try playing punter instead if he’s so scared of contact, but that’d be insulting to most punters.

I am bumping this thread by expressing my RAGE at Florida stealing the game from Arkansas today. That was an absolute disgrace.

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2009 edited

I used to play football before I just got sick of “LET’S HAVE 45 MINUTES OF CARDIOVASCULAR EXERCISES EVERY PRACTICE AND TONS OF PUNISHMENT RUNNING EVEN THOUGH OUR TEAM HASN’T SCORED A TOUCHDOWN IN FOUR GAMES”. Probably a good decision; I used to be a lineman (with the proper attributes – strong and good at blocking but slow) but I don’t have the size to pull it off any more.

Baseball’s also pretty fun to play, don’t like watching it though.

• CommentAuthorLord Snow
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2009

My favorite sport is MMA. It’s sooo good.

My sister watches MMA because she does muay thai but I get bored of it easily.

•  
      CommentAuthorRandomX2
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2009

I’ll take my badminton and soccer, thank you very much.

Eh, I think MMA sounds really cool in theory, but in practice it seems like too much like bloodsport for me to tolerate.

@Northmark: Punishment running is ridiculous for anything besides actual punishment, i.e. skipping practice, getting in trouble, things of that nature. Punishment running for poor game performance sounds like a tremendous waste of time, since the time and energy would be better spent doing drills or running plays or something. That just sounds like poor coaching.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2009

Yeeeeeeeeeaaah, running for a bad game IMO is really stupid. I had a coach two years ago who just made us work as a team, by making the game fun. We got second place in state. last year, the new coach just made us run every time we lost a game, I started hating practices and the game wasn’t fun anymore. I think we won about 3 games that season. =/

• CommentAuthorIsabel
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2009

I remember freshmen year I played soccer and we had a truly terrible game. That was the only time I've had to run for a poor game performance.

But my sophomore year coach was a dick. He coached by saying, "I'll correct you the first time when you're doing something wrong. I'll correct you a second time if you still haven't gotten it. But you had better have it down the third time". Sorry that I can't learn footwork in three tries. Don't make the rest of the team run for my difficulty in learning a new trick.

That's why I quit soccer. Badminton is so much more fun.

Bumping this bad boy, since most people might not know that Sunday features a matchup between Vince “The Prince” Young and Peyton Manning, the Kind of Comeback. I’m rooting hard for the Titans since I have a mancrush on Vince Young and I’m also a sucker for a redemption story.

If it’s on in your region, it’ll probably be a good watch even if you’re only vaguely interesting in FOOBAW.

• CommentAuthorJinx
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2009

I swim and run, cross country in the fall and hurdles/400m in the spring. Great sports where it is just me against them and I can just go out and beat people without having to worry about what other people are doing. Yet you still get that sense of community and fellowship. No sport, except the Olympics is worth watching.

No sport, except the Olympics is worth watching.

I really can’t tell you how much I disagree with this.

Football season is starting, and even though this board is full of dorks, I’m bringing this thread out of retirement like Brett Favre(although there won’t be an extended period of “will it or won’t it” as ESPN stews about it).

At the very least, Willow needs a place to post excuses for Peyton Manning every week.

• CommentAuthorSum Mortis
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2010 edited

Sansa, I agree with you about Tom Brady- honestly, the guy can shove it.

Im tiny, have played in football pickup games (no armor of course) and gotten basically turned into a black and blue skeleton. But it was fun.

Soccer is my sport, so I watched Wold Cup with dedication this year. I was rooting for Japan because Honda is awesome (and has a pretty cool hair-do), and I cant stand most of the players on the US.

Basketball is my favorite to watch though- FEAR THE DEER. We now have Earl Boykins (my hero), who is only 5'5, and has succeeded in the NBA.

Baseball is only good if you watch it at home- at the stadium it is too loud, and most of them are kinda icky.

Tennis is totally awesome, except for Roddick, who confirms all the negativity about Americans with his rude and jerkish behavior.
    • CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2010

Football season is starting

I was slightly amused about this for no reason.

Soccer’s my sport, I take any sport at school and I’m a regular for 100m sprint, back-up runner for 200m sprint, and I often pick defense over attack in any sports I play. When they do have attack and defense positions.

Tom Brady: I don’t like him much.

I kinda feel a little sad that there’s no one from Australia that’s not here on this thread; I like talking about the Aussie football teams. Sorta.

Well, as long as we can all agree we hate Tom Brady.

The opening weekend of college football was pretty decent. Most of the games were horrible because the BCS is such an impossibly stupid system, but the good ones made up for it pretty well. Irish won and so did TCU, which are the only CFB teams I really care that much about so far this season.

SEC looked pretty awful, which was delicious.

@ No One: Sorry, you’re outta luck. I hate Aussie football.

• CommentAuthorPhantom
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2010

O_O

You don’t like football? But it’s awesome. Even I, Phantom, enjoys football.

Why don’t you like Aussie football?

•  
      CommentAuthorRandomX2
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2010

I'm considering joining a Kendo Club this year. I just want to make sure that we're not restricted by stupid rules, and that we can fight as we would in actual combat from time to time. Also, I'm hoping that there aren't any weeaboos.

Does Kendo even count as a sport?

I’d count it. Odds of there not being weeaboos is aren’t super good, though. Look on the upside, if there are some, you get to wail on them with a shinai.

•  
      CommentAuthorRandomX2

lol, I feel better already.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

Also, the odds of you not being “restricted by stupid rules”, or that you would be allowed to “fight as we would in actual combat” are extremely low. Even despite the protective clothing and the fact that you have padded bamboo sticks, it’s still incredibly dangerous. Suprisingly little force is needed to, e.g., break knuckles or cause breathing or mobility problems. Force that can be easily surpassed by a quick flock of the wrist, when applied along the length of a typical shinai. The best you would be able to get is random sparring, but even that you are, by necessity, bound by fairly strict rules of engagement.

If you want no-rules fighting, take a pool cue to your local bar on a Friday night and whack the toughest guy you can see across the back of the head with it. Otherwise, rules have to be in place to ensure that nobody is injured or worse.

•  
      CommentAuthorRandomX2

Strike the desire to simulate actual combat. In a real fight, you’d probably want to harm your opponent. And not wanting to be “restricted by stupid rules” also probably came off a bit too strong. Let me better explain my position.

I have a few wooden swords at home, and I’ve used them fairly often to spar with others (that have combat experience, I mean. I don’t challenge random neighbours and friends). My weapons and the average shinai, as shown by Google, seem similar. In fairness, the shinai does appear to be more edged and could realistically cause more damage.

When we fight, there’s little to no rules. We might occasionally hurt the other player, but very, very rarely (and even when we do, it’s never serious) because we never aim to cause damage. We swing with some force and speed, but we have enough self-control to lighten a blow as we hit someone. We also avoid targeting the head, the wrist, etc., but even if we accidentally hit someone the damage isn’t heavy. I suppose you could say that it only takes one poorly aimed strike to cause permanent damage, but I honestly don’t see it happening. I don’t feel as though I’m being blind here, either. It’s just the feel I get based off past experience.

We have some basic training from Temple instructors (keep in mind I’m Sikh), but the majority of our ability comes from experience. The conditions for victory also seem reasonable: the opponent is too exhausted and surrenders, you scored a certain number of hits, you knocked away the opponent’s weapon and so forth.

Essentially, we’re able to have proper, full-out fights. I’m fearing that with Kendo, this won’t be the case. Perhaps the shinai are more lethal than the wooden swords I have, and if so I suppose it’s fair. However, sword-based combat has always seemed like a type of game to me. Simulating combat is fun, because when you have sufficient skill and strength it really comes down to mind-games. That’s what I mean by wanting to fight in actual combat. I don’t want to simulate a real sword fight; that would probably only last a few blows. I want to able to fight with all of my resourcefulness and endurance and see if I can, on average, out-skill my opponent. Up until now, I’ve rarely faced opponents with disciplined training. I want to see how I measure up to them. But if sparring only lasts a few blows, as I’ve been lead to believe, there’s too much luck involved for me to really see if who’s better.

So I guess I described my situation poorly before. I don’t want actual, actual combat, I just want combat that pushes you to a good limit. Hell, I don’t know if I’m explaining myself well enough even now.

Do you see where I’m coming from?

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2010 edited

Awwww yeah, fifteen minutes to kickoff.

I have a mancrush on AD, but I’m still rooting against the Vikings. Such is the power of Favre’s general insufferability.

LET’S GO FOOBAW HELLZ YES

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

Ah. In that case, even if Kendo were more realistic, it’s unlikely they’d let you ‘into the ring’ in your first month. There’ll probably be at least a year or two of technique, form and stance training before they let you go into random sparring. And judging by your reasons for wanting to study it, you’re bound to be disappointed.

And the Saints beat the Favres 14-9. It’s really a pretty misleading score, since the Saints just flat looked better.

I don’t really follow any sports, but I have to compliment you on calling them the Favres. It amused me.

Seriously though, with the exception of Adrian Peterson, you would think that the rest of the Vikings are all named Brett Favre.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2010

At least they’re not Brendan Fevola.

•  
      CommentAuthorRandomX2

Ah. In that case, even if Kendo were more realistic, it’s unlikely they’d let you ‘into the ring’ in your first month. There’ll probably be at least a year or two of technique, form and stance training before they let you go into random sparring. And judging by your reasons for wanting to study it, you’re bound to be disappointed.

At least they have the discipline and art form of it down =/

Brett Favre is 100% insufferable. If you want to keep on playing, then JUST FREAKING SAY SO.

nuff said.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

In your case, Random, I suggest you take up kickboxing or something. At least there, you’ll only have to spend a few months on the bag before they let you into the ring. Face it, though, there is no responsible martial arts school on Earth that will let someone walk in off the street and start sparring with even wooden weapons right off the bat. From the sounds of it, you are looking essentially for a refereed ‘wailing on each other with sticks’ game. If you’re lucky, you might know a guy who knows a guy who is dating the sister of the accountant of a guy who plays tennis with the manager of the laundromat where the organiser of a secret underground semi-regular fight club does his laundry. You might just be able to get in, if you’re really lucky and can prove you’re not a cop, providing your guy tells his guy to tell his girlfriend to tell her brother to tell his client to mention to his tennis partner to make a note to a particular customer that you’re interested in helping to hang out his laundry, or something…

Otherwise, stick to your wailing-on-each-other-with-sticks game in your backyard. Not even the Eskrima guys will let you get into a random sparring situation without a good few months of dedicated technique and form training.

•  
      CommentAuthorRandomX2
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2010 edited

Hey, HEY! It’s much more noble than wailing-on-each-other-with-sticks! It’s a beautiful type of… eh, who am I kidding? That’s the essence of it. But the forms really do remind me of art.

Not even the Eskrima guys will let you get into a random sparring situation without a good few months of dedicated technique and form training.

That’s not unreasonable. I’m generally very patient with training and theory before application, and if I had to wait years I actually wouldn’t care. The difference is Kendo classes are being held at school and would fit into my schedule, while Eskrima classes would not. Convenience is an issue, since my priority is education.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

Fair enough. do it, then, if you’re willing to put in the hard effort. Just like puppies and syphillis, martial arts is for life, not just for Christmas.

Also, don’t be too offended. Every martial art in the world can essentially be boiled down to wailing-on-each-other, except doing so with style and technique. And sometimes weapons.

edit: ESPECIALLY as it’s at a school (college? university?), you really should expect some “stupid” (your word, not mine) rules of practice and engagement. Like no-contact-with-opponent’s-aura (or: keep the weapons at least two feet away from others) and moving-slowly-helps-us-learn. Doing-the-same-thing-over-and-over might also pop up once or twice.

Again, though, if you want the real deal, try to find that guy who knows a guy, or go down to the local pub and start picking fights. Or stick to backyard one-punch.

•  
      CommentAuthorRandomX2

or go down to the local pub and start picking fights.

I’d probably want to work out more before I started pulling anything like that. Picking fights is against my style, though. I like fighting when the other person wants to fight as much as I do and when they want to fight for the fun and competition. So I guess that wouldn’t work out as well.

Again, though, if you want the real deal, try to find that guy who knows a guy

Damn that guy. He continues to elude me…

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

Picking fights is against my style,

I wasn’t being serious about the pub-fighting thing. I’m actually very much against that sort of violence, because it’s not only unwarranted and unwanted, but it could lead to someone getting seriously injured, possibly killed. I was more trying to bring up a comparison between the strict “stupid rules” of martial-arts sparring and what you seemed to be looking for.

Damn that guy. He continues to elude me…

Then obviously you need to find a guy who knows that guy who knows a guy. If you can’t find him, then you need to find a guy who knows a guy who knows the guy who knows a guy. If you can’t find him, then you’re out of luck.

•  
      CommentAuthorRandomX2

I wasn’t being serious about the pub-fighting thing.

lol, I wasn’t either. Unwarranted violence is strictly prohibited by Sikhism, and even if it wasn’t I wouldn’t have the stomach for it.

Then obviously you need to find a guy who knows that guy who knows a guy. If you can’t find him, then you need to find a guy who knows a guy who knows the guy who knows a guy. If you can’t find him, then you’re out of luck.

Oh dear…

Better start searching, I guess. I think he only appears at midnight.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

It strikes me, Random, that the Sikhs have a long history of their own unique brand of martial arts (gatka?). Can you find someone who teaches that? Surely it would be more fulfilling for you as a person to have that extra connection to your community and heritage, right? Not to mention that Sikh weapons are far cooler than the Japanese swords. Talwar, kukri, bagh nakh, kataar, kirpan (which you would have), and the urumi flexible sword, among others. So much cooler.

•  
      CommentAuthorRandomX2

It strikes me, Random, that the Sikhs have a long history of their own unique brand of martial arts (gatka?)

Indeed they do. I’ve been practising Gatka for close to 5 years now, but I’ve stuck with the basic sword. In fact, the wooden sword I use now is the most basic weapon in Gatka. A lot of the other weapons are legitimately dangerous and are meant for actual combat and self-defense. I do not and have never used those weapons, and I probably won’t going forward. They’re simply too dangerous, and even when people use them the combat is extremely controlled. “Battles” are fairly planned, such that your opponent must always know where you will strike so that they can block.

So yeah, I’m already familiar with Gatka.

Not to mention that Sikh weapons are far cooler than the Japanese swords. Talwar, kukri, bagh nakh, kataar, kirpan (which you would have), and the urumi flexible sword, among others.

I’m not familiar with Japanese swords, so yeah. If you take it easy with the Talwar, it can be used. I’ve never seen the Bagh Nakh be used by anyone in the Temple, but the Katar is very common. Battles are more staged with the Katar, such that you follow a sequence of attacks. The Kirpan is not to be used as an offensive weapon, and we don’t practice with it. The flexible sword has the coolness factor, but I leave that to the more experienced guys.

Gatka has been heavily modified by most teachers, though, so that it can be enjoyed as a sport instead of a martial art. I prefer it this way; since it’s non-lethal, you can have a match with someone and not worry about being heavily injured or injuring the other player. But I still want to test myself against those from other disciplines.

Dammit. The end of the Notre Dame-Michigan game was just depressing as shit.

• CommentTimeSep 11th 2010 edited

Who won? My mom is from Michigan, so I hear pep talks about them sometimes

Michigan won on a last minute drive. ND’s QB missed all but the first series in the first half(which was an effortless 71 yard TD drive) because he couldn’t see out of one eye. The backups were awful, including Joe Montana’s kid. They came back like crazy in the second half when their starter returned to the game, but score the go-ahead TD with way too much time left on the clock. Sadface.

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2010

Did you guys see the touchdown where the player dropped the ball to start celebrating…before he crossed the goal line? I’m surprised nobody challenged or protested it.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Yeah… I don’t understand that. Don’t both feet have to set ground on the touchdown zone for it to be counted? I swear I’ve seen players drop the ball in celebration before both feet have crossed the line.

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2010 edited

Did you guys see the touchdown where the player dropped the ball to start celebrating…before he crossed the goal line? I’m surprised nobody challenged or protested it.

It’s happened twice in two days. The other teams(WVU and UM IIRC) just weren’t paying attention, because they could’ve challenged and got either overturned. That said, it would’ve just resulted in a first and goal on the 1 or so for the scoring teams.

Your feet have nothing to do with it, except when catching a pass where the ball is caught outside the field of play(like the back of the end zone). The ball must break the plane of the end zone while the player has control of it. That’s why you’ll occasionally see players score by diving and scraping the ball against the little orange pylons in the end zone’s front corner.

I’ve actually seen an NFL catch which wasn’t a TD where the receiver(Santonio Holmes, for the record) had both feet in the end zone but the ball never crossed, so he was considered down at the 1.

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark

On the topic of controversial touchdowns, check out the Lions highlights from today. Yikes.

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187

Yeah, they got screwed, and Matt Stafford got hurt. The Lions have no luck.

It’s been a pretty good NFL day for me so far. Steelers won after Mendenhall pulled a 50 yard TD run in overtime of the Field Goal Bowl, and the Titans offense looked really sharp against Oakland.

The Texans rolled the holy hell out of the Colts, though. Some RB named Foster rushed for over 200 yards on them… that just shouldn’t happen in the NFL, especially not against the defending AFC champ. If the Colts play that kind of rush defense against the Titans, Chris Johnson is going to absolutely obliterate the single-game record.

Also the US basketball team won FIBA. I’ve got a mancrush on Kevin Durant.

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark

As a Texans fan, today was pretty awesome. Especially since they’d lost ~10 games straight against the Colts.

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow

As a Texans fan, today was pretty awesome. Especially since they’d lost ~10 games straight against the Colts

As a Colts fan who unfortunately missed the game:

>:(

I’m not too worried, though.. the year we won the Super Bowl, we had a 3-4 start IIRC before we had a win streak and ended the season 12-4 and a Super Bowl trophy.

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187

Well, if the Cowboys can get a right tackle that isn’t pure shit in a vaguely human suit, there exists the possibility of an all-Texas Super Bowl played in Texas. (Hank Hill: “Thy will be done!”)

Seriously though, Alex Barron should be banned from playing football. I’m not even that big a fan of the Cowboys, but FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Ah, shuddup, Texas.

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2010 edited

Just saying, Willow. If your rushing D doesn’t suddenly remember how to play, it’s going to be a very long season for the Colts. That Texans RB is pretty good, but he’s no Maurice Jones-Drew, and he’s sure as hell no Chris Johnson.

And because I’m still pissed,

My brother is also pissed that the cowboys lost.

I don’t really care, but sorry they did whatever they did that is so infuriating.

They played horribly and still almost came back and won, and then completed the go-ahead TD pass as time expired… and this abysmal failure of a right tackle(Alex Barron) got flagged for a hold during the play. The TD was erased and the game was over. That guy was horrible all game and didn’t even try to make a proper block on the last play.

He doesn’t deserve to set foot on an NFL field. It’s a disgrace to the game.

Take a deep breath and let it out slowly.

I tried, it didn’t work. I’m just gonna go find something hard to ram my face into.

Ram your fists; that won’t cause possible brain damage.

• CommentTimeSep 13th 2010

He’s from Texas, he already has brain damage :)

Oh, and btw, Sansa, our defense tends to be spotty at the beginning of the season, then after a few games they go “oh, NFL, we’re protecting Manning, that’s right…” and then they beat the crap out of the opposing offense.

We’ll see, Willow.

College football games are all pretty terrible so far today.

Notre Dame lost on a fake field goal in overtime. I just can’t think of curse words strong enough right now.

• CommentTimeSep 19th 2010

I saw that game.

My condolences. I am not sure there are many more pathetic ways to lose a football game.

Yeah, one of my ND-loving friends seems to about be on suicide watch. It was horribly frustrating.

Dallas lost, Steelers beat Titans in a hideous game, and Vince Young got benched. This has been a disappointing weekend of football.

At least the Favres got beat by the LOLphins.

• CommentTimeSep 19th 2010

The Favres lol.

Go Ducks!

The Oregon Ducks?