Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

I’m re-starting my JulNo. So far I’m up to 8,500 words. Overall, I want to write this story (novel). At the moment, however, the last thing I feel like doing is writing more. I’m just getting discouraged about being too obvious, too early on about the detrimental effect of someone on this girl’s life.

And I don’t want to just skip a day. I’m sick of starting things and never finishing them. I don’t want to be stuck in this pattern all my life, and I’m afraid that if I don’t keep going every day, I’ll get out of the habit and this will just become another barely-begun thing.

So this is your task. Just give me some meaningless/ful encouragement or anecdotes that will help me keep going. Because I’m telling myself stuff and it’s not working.

You can do it. From my experience thus far, writing novel-length stories is like the whole rolling snowball thing. Starting is by far the hardest part, and it just gets easier and easier the more you write. Inertia applies to more than just physics.

You’ve got a good chunk already, so just keep it rolling and you’ll be surprised.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2009

Yay, conviction! Believe in me, who believes in you!

Does this mean you’ll be updating that blog again?

Keep going! Stiff upper lip and all that. Chin up. A couple more cliches. Clench your teeth and do it.

Don’t believe in yourself. Believe in me who believes in Moldorm who believes in you.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2009

WRITE NAOW. Post daily word count updates here! And if you start falling behind, I will tell Jeremy you’re hiding all his shinies…

I’m totally facing the same problem right now since I ditched my JulNo and started over. I really wish I could post that article about finishing a rough draft…I’ve submitted it to Sly, but I think he’s been busy lately.

Anyway, don’t worry about being obvious. Heck, be as anvilicious as you want. Just write what comes out and just go with the plot. Eventually, when you’re done, you can look at your stack of words and think how crappy it is, but then you’ll have something concrete to mold into something better.

@ sansa:

you might be SMALIEN’s own, but I love you. That is really good advice.

@ Moldorm:

Thanks, and I don’t know that I’ll be updating that blog again. It was more of a humourous look at the interruptions you get when you’re trying to cram 50 000 words into 31 days, but I guess I could rethink that and blog about overhauls and annoying word counts. After all, if there’s one thing about blogs, it’s that they’re mostly rants, and if there’s one thing about writing, it’s that there are a heckload of rants you can write about it.

...plus they might actually get me going again. I haven’t written for three days. Apart from some stupid Cullen situations.

@ the lady windmere:

Cliches cheer me up a lot, so thanks :) And thankyou for believing in me in a roundabout way.

@ swennie:

The writing updates thing sounds good. I just don’t want to overload the forums. Although, I just thought of an idea… I’ll stick it up on the feedback thread. Love ya.

@ Snowie:

I know you’ve got a lot more to redo than I have, but we’ve still got the same predicament. So… do you want to be writing buddies?

Thanks for saying that second paragraph. This is my first serious, grit-your-teeth, do-or-die attempt at writing a novel. That’s helped a lot.

Yay, writing buddies! That’d be great.

The spew method is my own personal favorite when it comes to writing first drafts. (Although for novels, I’ve never gotten past a first draft in the first place. That I intend to change!)

>spew

Society for the Promotion of Elfish Welfare?

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2009

Just keep writing, Steph. If you keep going your writing will get better and better, just keep writing and eventually you’ll get there. =)

Unfortunately, I could not get a suitable “encouragement cake” picture. Surely there must be one somewhere on the internet, but not on the first two page results. :(

Instead, I got you an encouragement flower with helpful quote:

Just say, “I think I can. I think I can. I think I can.”

Another thing:
    If you want to finish but are stuck/discouraged/tired of writing, just write something. Even if you don’t think that it’s the exact right word or you didn’t see the story going this way, just write, and you will eventually/hopefully get back on track.

You can do it!

Exactly. The spew method.

I get copyrights.

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2009 edited

Believe in me, who believes in you!

No! She must believe in herself. Not you, who believes in her. Not her, who believes in you. She must believe in her that believes in herself!

She must believe in her that believes in herself!

I don’t believe you.

Thanks, SMALIEN. It’s a pretty flower. Make me an encouragement cake and I’ll let you eat it.

And thanks, NP.

I’ll have to take a raincheck on the writing buddies thing, though Snowie. I’m away and I’m trying to limit my forum appearance to save my Grandma’s internet bills.

Yeah, no problem.

Kewl.

No! She must believe in herself. Not you, who believes in her. Not her, who believes in you. She must believe in her that believes in herself!

Thank you for reminding me to post this song...

No youtube! Please! I’m on a slow computer!

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2009 edited

Ooo, we’d better not post any links to TVTropes then… it’ll just distract her further!

How are you doing with your writing?

I have no time to write. It’s terrible. :(

I’m re-starting my JulNo. So far I’m up to 8,500 words. Overall, I want to write this story (novel). At the moment, however, the last thing I feel like doing is writing more. I’m just getting discouraged about being too obvious, too early on about the detrimental effect of someone on this girl’s life.

Wasn’t it you that linked that one lady’s article: just write.

Get it all down. Don’t even worry about coherence right now, just get it out. The rest we worry about in editing.
    (and hey, you’ve seen what my stuff looks like pre and post edit so don’t be concerned with being perfect the first time)

The Spew Method.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2009 edited

Do it, do it, do it, do it…

Weirdly, I’ve been writing a lot of rather random fanfiction lately. (Or, more precisely, fics that are set in the same world as or a similar world to pre-established fandoms) It’s oddly therapeutic, and it makes me feel good because I’m actually writing something, but there’s no pressure. If you want to keep consistently writing, even if it isn’t for your main project, maybe you should try this.

Lol, I“m up to 15 700 words now.

THat’s an interesting idea, swennie…

@ Steph: You’re winning. I think my story is still under five pages. XP

XP It’s now going on hiatus while I deal with my exam prep etc.

I shudder to think of what next year’s going to be like.

Me too, Steph, me too.

It sounds lame to say that I agree. This doesn’t bode well.

And I’m only a sophmore in high school!

This is probably due to my increasing procrastination and sloth, though. cough

Whereas my day is pretty much, get up, school, home, homework, tea, homework, bed.

And waste time on II.

But yeah, same here.

NO, I waste time on II during Applied Info Tech. I haven’t been on when I’m at home in ages.

Or I’m watching TV.

No TV for me. Except for Jonas. I actually love that show.

cringes

I’m ashamed none of you are watching Supernatural. It’s the last season people!

I usually just have the TV going for background noise. My biggest drains are WoW and flash games.

Also, I usually think best when I’m “active” (pacing for example – and it’s a feature of guys) but it’s hard to write when you’re storming around the room. Hence why I want to get a netbook but I’m sure I’ll just find some new excuse to slack off.

Honestly, Nate. WHENWILLYOULEARN???

It’s hard to when you have editors that slack off too.

is abashed

I am sorry about that. I just don’t have the time and it sucks. Exam prep is really taking it out of me. Plus it’s the end of the school year, so all the teachers are piling on the assignments.

But if you desperately need me back in that capacity…

Oh I need you Steph…

Nah it’s not just you. Just strikes me as funny. It’s like you’re a member of AA, trying not to drink, only to realize all of your support are drinking at the moment…

Lol, I’m not sure where you’re going with that, but the image was blackly humorous.

Lol, I’m not sure where you’re going with that, but the image was blackly humorous.

Nope, that’s where I was going with it.

Then I was sure!

applies lipgloss, and dyes hair blonde and tosses it ditzily

I love it when I’m smart!