Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

There is no thread on here for discussion of the above two topics (yes, I searched- my attempt at being considerate).

Anyway, discuss as you want to, so as not to clog up other threads with something that will inevitably be coming up a lot.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2009

My opinions on the two can be summed up thus:

Cliches = Blech!
    Tropes = Yay!

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2009

All cliches are tropes, but most tropes are not cliches.

Also, anyone can use tropes well, but it takes someone very, very good to use cliches well. And you’re not that someone.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2009

I find it interesting (in both novels and films) when the authors/makers deliberately use tropes, in order to pervert them. >:D

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

It’s basically impossible to make anything without using them, so it’s always nice when they’re employed in a more unusual and interesting way.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Subvert, Jeni. Subvert. There’s a subtle but definite difference. ;)

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

No, I meant pervert. >:D

•  
      CommentAuthorAdamPottle
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2009

I've seen so many instances of 'last survivor of my race/people/clan/army/bowling club/species etc' that I created a minor character who is the only member of his army to escape encirclement, but he's a total bastard who just got really lucky. For propaganda purposes he's made a big hero although he never really does anything that special.

Bowling club, lol.

I was thinking of including one of those as well, except my guy is alive only because he’s a coward who didn’t go to war with the rest of his people.

bowling club

This is a story. No, really.