Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2009 edited

Here’s a writing contest that I plan to enter, and you should too.

Here’s a basic breakdown. The submission is a short story between 0 and 3500 words. The genre has to be either SciFi, fantasy, or horror. There is no entry fee. The theme of the contest is “The Color of Silence”, so the story must incorporate that theme in a significant way. The winner gets $200, second prize gets $100, and third prize gets $50. The deadline for submissions is April 15th, 2010.

Of course, you could have found all this out by looking at the website.

Wow, that sounds really cool! If it’s due in April, I could probably work on it while I’m on the plane to India.

No entry fee is nice too. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2009

Hooray! No submission fee means all I have to pay for is a passport, the plane ticket there, visa into the country, hotel or other form of temporary residency until they announce the winners, and then plane fare home!

*terror* John Scalzi is judging; we shall all get an automatic Suck.
    Eh, I'm writing some short stuff for fiction class. Might be worth entering it once it's been torn to shreds.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2009 edited

terror John Scalzi is judging; we shall all get an automatic Suck.

I won’t, because I’m not a teenager !!

ha
    ha
    ha

I’ll enter this if I get a good idea, and also figure out what the hell the theme means.

Expect loads of synaesthesia-related entries.

•  
      CommentAuthorAdamPottle
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2009

I shall enter.

Yeah, too bad I have no idea what to write. XP

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2009 edited

Hooray! No submission fee means all I have to pay for is a passport, the plane ticket there, visa into the country, hotel or other form of temporary residency until they announce the winners, and then plane fare home!

You do realize that you don’t need to be in the United States to enter this, right?

I’ll enter this if I get a good idea, and also figure out what the hell the theme means.

It’s supposed to be a little off beat. It forces participants to be creative. And that probably means not jumping immediately to synasthesia. I’m thinking of writing something about echolocation (which is probably equally unoroginal, but never the less…) This would actually be a decent place to brainstorm.

Hmm, I think I might have my novel lead engage in a one-sided conversation with a guy who’s in the middle of dying, and thus can’t talk. I wanted to write such a scene anyway but haven’t found a place for it, and 3500 words isn’t that much to work with, for me at least.

sounds cool. Aussies in?

You do realize that you don’t need to be in the United States to enter this, right

Sounds interesting. I was going to enter a competition but missed the deadline by a day… I think I’ll enter this one.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2009

You do realize that you don’t need to be in the United States to enter this, right?

Well, considering the only option is to physically snail-mail your entries to them, I’m guessing they won’t be expecting many airmail entries. There’s also absolutely nowhere on the site that says anything about overseas submissions, so I guess they’re going for a local audience.

I may consider this… but I don’t want an automatic “suck.”