Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

For those of you who don’t know, free-association writing is where you just start writing and try to keep your hand moving/fingers typing, and you don’t think about what your writing or really look at it until your done. Your not nexessarily writing a story or anything; you’re just writing something. I first heard of this when I watched The Sixth Sense.

Has anyone ever done this? I haven’t, but I just thought about it for some reason. If you have, how did it turn out?

Oh, I have. When I learned of it, it was from Holly Lisle and I think she called it “free writing.”

One of the first times I tried it was in a moving car. The words were giving me a headache, and when I looked back at it later I knew it was rubbish, but it’s a nice way to get a “writer’s high.” I mean, I got some interesting tidbits. It was ramble-y drivel for the most part, though.

But when you do it, you really have to force yourself to think quickly. When I looked around and wondered what to write about, I saw the snow-capped mountains and thought, “Oh!” I actually looked at the way the light seemed to outline the clouds and the like.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2009

I love free writing, I do it all the time.

More often, though, I do free talking. It’s like free writing, but without the physical constraints of having to move a pen. My only problem is recording it. Usually I do it from the perspective of one of my characters. That’s a huge aid to character development right there.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

My mp3 player has a mini-microphone, so I’m set there… (I usually use it to ramble about my characters, because it helps if I talk about them instead of write about them, at least to get their personalities set)

Free-writing is kind of fun, though- you can come up with plenty of interesting ideas or associations with it. NP, you want us to try some here? We could do, say, 1- or 2-minute free writes on a topic, see what we all come up with…

That sounds alright. What topic?

@swenson

Which MP3 player do you have?

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Sansa SanClip. It’s sparkly pink and looks vaguely like an iPod!

@NP – hmm… good question. Trains? The countryside? Politics? Fire?

What about something that’s vaguely about trains and traveling? The start of a story in which a character is on a train?

Fire would be interesting, but could turn really… creepy/weird. Maybe the countryside. It’s a little bit more serine.

EDIT:
    I like hm’s idea.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2009 edited

Cool. I’ll start! 2 minutes, I guess… see ya soon!

EDIT: 120 seconds goes by surprisingly quickly. Well, here’s my beginning… I went a little over to finish up the last sentence, but here is the opening of a story about a traveler on a train:

•  
      CommentAuthorSMARTALIENQT
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2009 edited

FYI, I have never been on a train before. Subway, yes. Car, yes, Plane, yes. Train, no.

Mine is soooo aweful and stupid. I’m sorry I didn’t get around to it sooner.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2009

I have no idea what I’m doing. :P

Where in Alice in Wonderland did Woofus turn up?

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2009 edited

No, when I typed “Bodyguard” I immediately thought “Dog”. :P

Ah, I see.