Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

Um. I suck at starting discussions, but I thought this thread would be useful, what with all of the computer geniuses and the like here.

Post your computer problems. Self-explanatory, yeah?

My computer doesn’t like webcam action anymore. The webcam itself works, but whenever I try to do a webcam chat, Windows freezes and I’m forced to restart. It’s really been pissing me off. In case it’s needed, I’m using Windows Vista on a Toshiba Satellite.

And this stopped working after the hard drive was wiped.

Vista recently developed this habit of closing up all of my programmes whenever I log off. This also pisses me off.

Vista is a shitload of fuck, but I still use it out of laziness.

Uh, let’s see, besides having Vista, my battery is retarded so I have to run it off DC without the battery in, the case has a crack in it from me stupidly leaving it in an overhead compartment during a bumpy flight, and the otherwise badass flames on it retain fingerprints too easily.

No real technical problems though, besides those that can be laid directly at the feet of Vista.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2009

Our computer doesn’t have “problems”, it just has a few emotional issues, okay? It’s been getting much better with the weekly therapy sessions, anyway.

Isn’t that right, dear?

Yes, Taku. *sigh*

@sansafro
    I haven’t had any Vista problems. Maybe I’m just lucky.

My computer was slow earlier, but I restarted it, and it’s fine now.

I uninstalled a lot of useless games that came with my computer, and now it runs a lot more nicely. :D

Hm. I’ve told myself that I will uninstall my “bloatware” later.

My computer has been physically falling apart for the past several months, but I’m not getting a new one until October.

@sansafro187

>Vista is a shitload of fuck

AVGN much?

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Heh, I do the same.

Except it finally came to a head on our older (about five years old) computer, which has gradually gotten slower and slower over the years, to the point where I can get up and go get a cup of hot chocolate in the time it takes for Firefox to reach that precious 60,000 K it needs to actually start (according to Task Manager, anyway, which is my primary form of entertainment while I wait for FF to load). So over the past few months I’ve cleaned it up a bit, and it’s running much more smoothly now… if not exactly fast, it is decent these days. Firefox still takes forever, though. (I could uninstall all my add-ons to make it faster… but how could I live without WoT, Greasmonkey, AdBlock Plus, StumbleUpon or Read It Later?!)

Read It Later is awesome.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Agreed. My bookmarks get so messy because I never organize them, but Read It Later keeps everything I want to read handily in one place! :D

I was burning a CD for my audition tomorrow and it won’t come out. (Luckily my sister made me a CD, but it doesn’t have the instrumental, live and studio versions like I wanted. Oh well. The instrumental is really the important one anyway, so as long as I have it, I guess I’m ok)

AVGN

What’s that?

AVGN much?

Are you referring to the anti-virus software?

AVGN much?

Very much.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2009

AVGN = Angry Video Game Nerd, I believe.

Yes, and I’m surprised that nobody thought to Google it.

Oh, him.

I’m just going to put this here.

I. Am. POd.

My computer does not work.
    My beautiful, blazing fast(not really), computer WON’T BOOT.

&@$#(^

Well, it turns out that my computer was running slowly because one of the RAM chips had somehow been knocked out of its socket. I shoved it back in and my computer runs BEAUTIFULLY.

I accidentally hit a key that made the bottom taskbar thingy disappear when the internet it up. Does anyone know how to reverse this process?

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2009

Try F11.. or, I dunno. You’ll have to be more specific.

Haha! It worked! Thank you, Virgil. I’m actually very computer literate, but it’s hard to fix stuff when I have no idea what I did to screw it up in the first place. I’m more of a software person anyway.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

t’s hard to fix stuff when I have no idea what I did to screw it up in the first place

You’re welcome. That is the most annoying thing in the world. I remember when I fiddled a bit too much on my BIOS... oh, boy, fun day. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Or when you casually smack your hand against the keyboard and suddenly everything ir.o ojp.,fv

Took me ages to realize I was accidentally turning the keyboard to Dvorak, and a long time after that to work out it’s CTRL+SHIFT that switches it back and forth.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Dvorak

XD

Man that would screw you up bad.

Yeah, how mine got messed up was that I accidentally smacked my headphones into the keyboard, which could’ve hit any number of buttons. This thread can come in quite handy really.

Um, I hope it’s okay if I revive this, but once again, my laptop isn’t reading discs and it’s very inconvenient. The DVD drive is listed, but nothing happens when I insert a disc, and if I press eject, the thing doesn’t eject.

Would anyone be able to help?

Hi, I’m on Unbuntu and I hate it because I have no idea what I’m doing. So I have no drivers, no room for updates, and no programs. Fun.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2010

Er, okay. Thats pretty much Linux. Nothing if you don’t want it.

•  
      CommentAuthorTheArmourer
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2010 edited

More specificly, I’m wondering how to get more hard drive space for Linux. I have 245 Gb of space free, but Linux won’t use any of it.

In general I hate things that are hard that I can’t figure out, and love things that are hard but I can figure out.

EDIT: how do you get wine?

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2010

Wine

What do you mean ‘get’ more HDD space? Its a physical thing to do with the size of your disc, and not something an OS will affect. Linux has a smaller footprint than Windows, so you may get more space, but the limit is the same no matter what.

I have Windows installed as well. I did not manually partition the drive on install, Windows has files splayed all over the drive. There are 232.4Mb of updates and there is not enough room to install them on Linux.

It reports the space, but it won’t us it.

Okay, so I’ve been testing out Gmail, and when I forward things to myself, the embedded images are not showing up. I’ve logged in on http and https, and it doesn’t make a difference. I’ve logged in on Google Chrome and Internet Explorer, and it doesn’t make a difference. I forward the picture message to my other email from Gmail, and the images are still gone. There are no boxes or red X’s, just a blank white space where the pictures should be. If I actually embed myself the image and send it to Gmail, it shows. It just doesn’t work on forwards. It’s bugging the hell out of me, and none of the answers I find on the internet are working. I feel like I am missing something.

Okay, so I’ve been testing out Gmail, and when I forward things to myself, the embedded images are not showing up.

There should be a “show pictures” link above the email.

There isn’t. Sorry, I forgot to mention that. Oh, but I just figured it out. I was sending from an AOL email. Then I had someone with a Yahoo email send the same thing, and it worked fine. It’s an AIM mail problem and not a Gmail problem, but thanks for helping.

I have a wonderful computer that actually runs quickly now, unlike my old one.

Question: how fast is a Netbook?

Question: how fast is a Netbook?

About as fast as a turtle in a tar pit. They’re built for rendering HTML and not much else.

Netbooks are made for web browsing, checking your e-mail, and word processing. They average around 1.2 Ghz with 1-2 Gb of RAM, so you could play games that don’t have dedicated graphics card requirements.

OK, because my dad wants me to take a Netbook when I go away to camp, and I’m wondering how hard it would be to still go on here and stuff. So Netbook+Ethernet would be slow?

Google Chrome has been being mean to me. It’s been very slow to upload pages, sometimes has trouble closing and freezes. Is it time to change to Firefox?

Oh, but Chrome is so much faster (to me, at least). But Firefox has more stuff.

@Snow White Queen

Google Chrome has been being mean to me. It’s been very slow to upload pages, sometimes has trouble closing and freezes. Is it time to change to Firefox?

It’s time to change to Orca. Don’t know why you used Chrome at all; even Safari has more features and a better interface than that waste of code. Also, Chrome sends all of your browsing data to Google.

But Firefox has more stuff.

What kind of stuff? I probably wouldn’t even use most of it.

Don’t know why you used Chrome at all

I hated Internet Explorer and it was offering sweet escape right there on my home page.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2010

Chrome’s working fine with me. Could it be a general computer problem, and not related to the browser? Do you need to update?

I have Chrome. The only thing is does to me is crash sometimes when switching webpages, but refresh fixes it. It is faster than Internet Explorer. That’s the only other one I’ve used. I have hear good things about Firefox though.

Could it be a general computer problem, and not related to the browser? Do you need to update?

My computer’s really old, so that might be it, actually.

@Snow White Queen

I hated Internet Explorer and it was offering sweet escape right there on my home page.

Opera and Firefox have been offering sweeter escape for far, far longer.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2010 edited

Dan, maybe SWQ wants to use Chrome? There’s no need to badger her just because you don’t approve of it; we all have different opinions on things. It’s a nice web browser, and it’s efficient and keeps up the same speed even when I have a couple of dozen tabs open — perfect for my coursework.

•  
      CommentAuthorLeliel
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2010

Really anything but IE is the correct choice. If one alternative isn’t working by all means try another, just don’t try IE. :P

@Jeni

Dan, maybe SWQ wants to use Chrome? There’s no need to badger her just because you don’t approve of it; we all have different opinions on things.

True.

I’m a Firefoxer.

Well, I do like Chrome, but only for really shallow reasons. Honestly, I don’t do anything on my computer except use Microsoft Word, check email and Facebook, go on YouTube, and visit II. So which browser I use is actually not that important of a question, because I am completely ignorant about features and whatnot.

But thanks for the suggestions anyway, Dan.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2010

SWQ, try emptying your cache or other temporary files used by browsers. You can also hit Shift-ESC in Chrome and see how much memory each tab is using, and various plugins.

I love Chrome, its faster than Firefox, but not as many juicy plugins.

Thanks, I’ll try that, Virgil. Now Chrome is being nice to me again, so maybe it was a weird freakout or something.

Problem: I messed up my brightness. I hope this will fix itself?

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

If you’re on a laptop, look around the keys for a little sun up and sun down. You may have to hold Fn or Ctrl or something. If on a monitor, find the buttons on there.

Yeah, I fixed it somehow. But thanks for the suggestions anyway.

Chrome needs its history cleared to keep up performance.

Short guide Tools>History>edit history> clear browsing history
    Than clear everything.

I belive a Popular Mechanics test determined that Chrome is a faster web browser than IE or Firefox. It was Chrome>IE>Firefox

IE is a good browser though. ;-p

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

That’s interesting to know. I use it as a work browser, so I clear the history regularly and hence never noticed this.

Well, Firefox has a lot of add-ons that slow it down. So if you’re trying to, say, access the weather by browser, you’d go for Firefox, but if you’re going for speed, you’d go for Chrome.

Firefox: the large lumbering minivan with tons of cup holders.
    Chrome: the sleek sports car with flames painted on the side.
    IE: The old reliable four-seater.

•  
      CommentAuthorTheArmourer
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2010 edited

That’s interesting to know. I use it as a work browser, so I clear the history regularly and hence never noticed this.

My dad found that out when it was dragging along.

I cleared the history. I think this should help, because I hadn’t since I installed Chrome in the first place.

•  
      CommentAuthorfezqueen
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2010

Does anyone else here use a mac?

•  
      CommentAuthorTANSTAAFL

I use a mac.

•  
      CommentAuthorfezqueen

D’you possibly know how to fix a keychain error?

•  
      CommentAuthorthat girl
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2010

Not a real problem but my sisters BF is a computer geek and he siad that he has a PBKAC

It stands for Problem Between Keyboard And Chair (user error)

But his friend solved that problem by spinning his chair 180 degrees
    •  
      CommentAuthorfezqueen
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2010

:)
    •  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2010

Let’s just keep it to computer problems, folks. Cheers.

Doubt you guys can help so this is more me wanting to complain to people.

I have this stupid “Antimalware Doctor” program I so didnt install and I cant think of anything I might have installed that secretly installed this program with it. Cos a virus cant just download by itself and install by itself can it? Well anywayz the stupid thing wont go away. I go to Start > All Programs and go to it and go uninstall and instead of uninstalling the stupid thing it just vanishes from the all programs menu. I go into startup and delete it from starting up when the computer starts up but it still is running when I turn it on. I guess programs can be automatically start up without them being in that list but I dunno how to stop it. So I go into set program access and defaults > change or remove programs and when i click remove it just opens up the program.

Now here’s the problem with the actual program. It will pop up and start what I assume is a fake scan. It will give a list of viruses, what type they are and what they apparently do. Some of them seem to actually describs some things that have been wrong with my computer lately. It will then ask me if I want to remove them but force me to subscribe first. So I say no I dont wanna subscribe and then it might leave me alone or it might constantly pop up a thing asking me to subscribe to delete each individual virus where it makes the screen go black and white until I manage to exit the window. Then sometimes it might screw up completely and make all these odd minimized window tab thingies just above the task bar. And I think I had to reset the computer to get rid of them all or I just did ctrl alt del and closed it.

In the task bar it shows as a little red shield with an X on it which I think I remember always seeing there long before this program seemed to be on the computer. And when I right click it theres no exit button. So yeah I have no freaking clue what is going on. I use Windows XP. Right now the program has seemed to given up but it will probably be back. Godammit I hate computers but couldnt live without them.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2010

It sounds like malware, I highly recommend downloading Malwarebytes’ Anti-malware: http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Malwarebytes-AntiMalware/1186760019/1

It’s a jolly decent piece of software for removing malware off your PC.

...And I’ve just googled it, what a nasty program.

Here are some instructions on how to remove it: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-antimalware-doctor

Good luck. :)

Cool thanks didnt think I’d get help that quickly or at all. I will try that tomorrow morning cos now it is bedtime. Thanks again.

Ok it seems like my real antivirus software decided to find the program when before it didnt so it seems to be gone. The files were still there but I was finally allowed to delete them. So I think all is good. Hopefully. But thanks for the advice. Maybe if it ever happens again I’ll need it.

•  
      CommentAuthorthat girl
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2010

I think I accidentally pressed some buttons and now everything on II has gotten small (REALLY REALLY SMALL)
    anyone know the reverse short cut?
    • CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2010 edited

Go to the menu bar on top of the screen, click on View, scroll down to Zoom and you’re set.

So, I’ve been trying to put music on my phone (Samsung Captivate). When I plugged in the USB, it didn’t recognize it, so I’ve been bluetoothing everything. It’s been working fine, and all the music is playable, but when I got to the .wma files rather than .mp3, instead of album art, the thing started to show this random picture of my dad.

...Yeah, so does anyone know why this might be happening? I don’t mind having to do the tedious bluetooth sending, but I would like to see the actual album art from the non-mp3 albums.

EDIT:
    I got it to stop showing the dad picture, so now it just doesn’t have any album art. I still don’t know how to fix this.

Aaaaaaand now right after getting rid of the other malware I’ve got new Malware. Only this one is so much smarter and annoying because it blocks me from going into any programs saying theyre infected. Cant access the internet. Cant get my real anti-virus software to scan (I got rid of Mcafee cos it didnt seem to be that great and replaced it with AVG cos people said it was free and better than most bought ones). I cant crtl alt del and shut down running programs and processes. I cant go into removing programs.
    It has smartly blocked me off from doing absolutely anything that might get rid of it. I also dunno what files to search for. No idea where the little bugga is on my computer. Dunno how I keep getting malware I dont think I am downloading anything bad that would have this stuff on it and AVG should be doing its job. Godammit I hate the people who make viruses what the F is wrong with them? May they go die in all the fires.

Its called Security Suite apparently and is a little yellow shield icon with blaack diagon lines through it. AVG occaisonally pops up telling me it has blocked something called antiviram.com/shop?abc=GdpZD01Jnl9NzUuNDI= but it seems to have blocked shit all.

SIGH...... it also likes taking me to supposed porn sites. I say supposed cos the pages seem pretty crappy with no actual porn just big text about porn,

Sorry Platypus I have no idea about your thing.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2010

Instructions for removing it: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-av-security-suite

I must stress that this is malware, not a virus. You cannot rely on AVG or avast! to keep you clean of that. Malwarebyte’s is one of the best programs.

My recent malware adventure was caused by me not updating Adobe reader, as such, the nasty bugger found its way into my machine that way. Make sure that all your programs are up to date, and have the latest exploit patches.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Or don’t use Adobe Reader, its a pretty big magnet for nasties. SumatraPDF is far lighter and easier to use.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2010 edited

I use Foxit Reader, but I’ve never compared PDF readers, so I don’t know how well it measures up to other PDF readers. It works well enough for me, though. It’s a whole lot faster than Adobe Reader, I’ll tell you that! How Adobe is incapable of making a decent reader for a file format they invented, I will never understand.

The really nice thing about building my own computer (other than getting a very nice, customized computer on the cheap) is that I got to install everything. So no Norton Antivirus trial I can’t get rid of, no Adobe Reader… I even was able to uninstall Internet Explorer because I have Windows 7!

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

I use a lot of other Adobe software, it’s easy to bundle them all together. But either way, it’s not particularly related to happycrab’s malware issues, I just used it as an illustration for them to check that everything is updated.

OK its gone thanks for your help. The program had a few problems though. First it found 8 threats and when it tried to get rid of them and said it did then reset the computer the computer was frozen during shutdown. then when i turned it off and on the malware was still there. Then I did another full scan and it found nothing. Then I updated the program and did a quick scan and it found some more things said it deleted some things but couldnt delete others, reset then the virus was gone. Since the virus screwed with my proxy settings I had to change them back so firefox works now but I cant figure out how to make MSN work again. Meh no one even uses MSN anymore.

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2010

Meh no one even uses MSN anymore

Eh, I wouldn’t be so quick to cross MSN off. There are still many other people that uses MSN.

My computer has some trojan virus crap on it. My dad is working on it, so this is basically just a whine.

EDIT:
    It either wasn’t a virus, or Norton fixed it.

•  
      CommentAuthorRandomX2
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2010

Norton fixed it

I find this amusing

^^Well, Malwarebytes did a scan too and found nothing.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

See, this is why I love Linux. Nobody makes viruses for it.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

That’s because the people making viruses are also making Linux.

•  
      CommentAuthorTANSTAAFL

Yeah, they have this weird fetish where they refer to Windows and Windoze and basically hate Microsoft (Micro$oft). Reminds me of video game console fanboys really.

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2010

I use IE. It has yet to in any way piss me off. Also, I got AntiMalwareDoctor lately too, luckily my college-provided anti-virus got it after a few scans. Annoying thing.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Yeah, they have this weird fetish where they refer to Windows and Windoze and basically hate Microsoft (Micro$oft). Reminds me of video game console fanboys really.

Don’t forget mocking the Mac users as “fanbois”.

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow

I have friends who love their Macs, but I grew up using the crap Macintoshes at school, so I have a bit of a grudge. I also hate the operating system and the lack of right-click. Other people can love Macs all they want, people have different taste. I love my iPod. But I refuse to use a Mac. Ever. I <3 my PC.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2010 edited

Jeni, Staffle was mocking Linux users, not Mac users.

Personally, I think to each their own. I prefer the organisation and capabilities of Windows, but I do see the merit in the Mac system, especially for graphics programs.

My big computer problem (which is more of a familial suck than a computer problem, but oh well) is that I have no sound. This is technically my brother’s computer (which he was given for free because he spent some afternoons doing fuckall in the back office of a repair shop), and He has graciously decided in His Infinite Wisdom that we lowly people (myself and Mum) can have video, but not sound.

Gah. Now all my favourite Lloyd Rants videos are some weird-looking guy miming at the screen. :(

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Jeni, Staffle was mocking Linux users, not Mac users.

Um, I know? They also mock Mac users as fanbois….

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

Oh, sorry! I misread that as a threat. “Don’t focking mock the Mac users as ‘fanbois’.”

I should probably get some sleep.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2010 edited

It’s gone midnight! yes! you should! :D

He has graciously decided in His Infinite Wisdom that we lowly people (myself and Mum) can have video, but not sound.

FNR. My brother is like that, I mean, it doesn’t matter for me because I can tinker with the hardware/software myself (to some degree). But it’s the way he makes decisions for my mum and sister that pisses me off. Stupid brothers.

Edit: Ahem. Anyway. Best keep this free for legitimate computer problems.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

How’d he shut the sound off? Hide the speakers or something? If it’s a matter of him uninstalling the sound drivers or whatever, I’m sure something can be worked out… >:D

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

I think he’s unplugged the speakers AND uninstalled the sound drivers. Thing is, the desk is a hulging mass that can’t really be moved, so one something’s plugged in (or out) at the back, there’s really no changing it unless it’s absolutely essential.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2010

Wow, crazy! Why would he even do that? Just doesn’t make sense to me… shrug Ah well, the world is often a crazy place.

And yeah, if it’s an older computer, I can see why it’d be more of a pain to wrestle it out, plug things in, and wrestle it back in place than just to live with the situation! Don’t hear anything with headphones, then?

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Anybody else having problems loading Google?

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Nope.

•  
      CommentAuthorhappycrab91
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2010 edited

I probably should go to a computer help forum but I’ll see what you guys think. Because this is odd….

When a manga viewing website wouldnt let me copy or save an image by right-clicking, I did a very stupid odd thing to try to get the picture. I highlighted it with some text and ctrl c’d, then put it into Microsoft Word because I figured hey I dont want to copy a collection of things into Photoshop because I dont know why. Then instead of saving the picture by itself somehow normally or copying into Photoshop I dont know, I tried to cut or copy it directly onto the desktop and a window told me it needs to be saved before I can do that do you want to save? So I said yes and saved it somewhere but it didnt give my the option to choose jpg or png or whatever I just had to choose All Files (it probably saved it as the file type that it was on the site).

OK here’s the problem! When I did this, all the labels of all my desktop icons became permanently highlighted. And some of the icons themselves like folders have a blue glow around them. I deleted the picture and have reset and turned off my computer to no avail. So yeah it is very odd. Didnt seem like there was any option in the desktop display properties to change it.

Not sure if this problem is related to that one since I didnt try to open these programs recently before this event, but all my Adobe CS4 programs dont wanna open. Say the computer needs to be reset first :( So yeah if you can, help please. Would be much appreciated.

EDIT: Great…. and now I cant add or remove programs. Trend said it got rid of all viruses I had… why?!?