Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

The first idea I ever had for my novel was a torture scene. Specifically, I wanted my male lead to be tortured so terribly that his screams would be heard from the female lead’s room so she could go and save him. Yeah. It’s called whumping.

This was borne out of a frustration for a lack of violence in the books I was reading (OK, I was a weird kid). The character is this close to being tortured… and then the calvary comes. The character is this close to being raped… and then someone comes and saves her. Every time, violence is either averted, happens off screen, or is the normal gory blood-and-war type. I have not yet written the scene in my head, for various reasons, one of which is that I am afraid of it.

I have seen it done with Charlie-whumping fanfics, but how do you effectively write traumatizing or harsh conditions in a novel? Do you avert it, have it happen off-screen, or simply don’t have it come up? (you being you specifically)

• CommentAuthorLord Snow
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2009

I think it depends on your audience. See, I’ve been alarmingly desensitized to violence. I want it in the books I read. Like you mentioned, I get annoyed when something bad should be happening but it is avoided. So when ever I actually write something (which I admit rarely happens) I refuse to avoid it.

IMO, if you can portray the after-effects properly, it’s probably just as effective for that sort of thing to happen offscreen. It’s like keeping the monster unseen in a horror movie, where you let each reader dream up something uniquely horrifying. If you do report the violence directly, you ought to be very careful to maintain tight control over what you relate. You might be going for shock and horror but you may only disgust the reader, and not in the way you want.

Of course, that depends entirely on your ability to suggest effectively, or else it just reads like a cop-out.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2009

I prefer to show all the gory details. D: Maybe this says something incriminating about my personality.

Don’t worry, it does.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2009 edited

Whew, I was concerned there for a bit. I thought it might be a sign of my docility that torture scenes aren’t a chore for me to write! You’ve been most reassuring.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2009

That's like in _Spider-Man 2_ when Doc Ock threatens to "peel the flesh off [Mary Jane's] bones". An eight year old kid could tell you that was never going to happen, even off-screen.

I like to portray the pain and severity, but I despise over-the-top splatter. My stories inevitably deal with various levels of physical conflict, so injury comes with the territory. I don't like it when the main characters are only injured to service the DRAMATIC element of the story. There are ocassions when I'll give some gross detail about a death or wound, but that usually services a specific character aspect.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

I prefer reading about the psychological aftereffects. I especially like the way pain and adversity are handled in Cynthia Voight’s The Wings of a Falcon, where the main character suffers physically and mentally, and the psychological effects last long after the torture has actually ended. Considering the intimacy of the point of view, as well, it was especially well done.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

I enjoy totally the wrong word, but, if a torture scene is fitting in a book, then it should be there. However, like TakuGifian said, I also want to see the the psychological effects. I find that makes a character much more believable.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2009 edited

I think it depends on your audience. See, I’ve been alarmingly desensitized to violence. I want it in the books I read. Like you mentioned, I get annoyed when something bad should be happening but it is avoided. So when ever I actually write something (which I admit rarely happens) I refuse to avoid it.

Ditto.^^

I prefer reading about the psychological aftereffects. I especially like the way pain and adversity are handled in Cynthia Voight’s The Wings of a Falcon, where the main character suffers physically and mentally, and the psychological effects last long after the torture has actually ended. Considering the intimacy of the point of view, as well, it was especially well done.

Again, ditto.^^

I really dislike books where something bad happens to the character and by the next chapter, he’s forgotten about it.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Yeah, books where nothing bad can ever possibly happen annoy me. I mean, sure, it might be tough to kill off a character or hurt your precious little baby, Author, but it can add so much to a story! Like in the Dark Knight, I never, ever, ever, ever thought they were going to kill off Rachel, because that just doesn’t happen- no one ever kills off one of the leads.

I think it’s more horrific if kept subtle. Seeing the aftermath of the violence can be much more effective than actually showing it.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Gore is not always the way to show the aftermath, though. Like The Dark Knight- there is no blood whatsoever, yet it’s extremely violent and dark.

Not even in the pencil scene?

Yes, I agree that less is more in terms of violence. If it’s superfluous, then I get sick of it. But if the violence serves a purpose, develops a character, or so on, I will totally go for it.

MAKE THEM SUFFER, MWAHAHAHAHA!

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Nope, there’s no gore in the pencil scene- you see everything up until where the guy’s head gets slammed into the pencil, but you never actually see the act of a pencil shoving through his head. There’s no blood- it’s all completely implied violence.

MAKE THEM SUFFER, MWAHAHAHAHA!

YES! evil cackle, rubs hands together evilly

I don’t write especially violent things; I just have a character that actually feeds off of suffering.

So he’s kind of a ‘once in a blue moon let’s toss in a ton of violence’ because it actually makes sense. I mean, he feeds off of pain.

Wow, that’s pretty cool.

Can he be injured himself? Can he feel pain? (So if he’s in desperation, he could wound himself to sustain himself, but that would weaken himself…ok, this is getting me nowhere. Disregard my rambling)

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2009

I prefer to imply things and then show the aftereffects, especially with such touchy issues as rape, and doubly so when the one being raped is one of the MCs. It partially cashes in on the unknown being terrifying while at the same time, it avoids the trap of looking as if the author is trying too hard to make things “gritty” and “serious,” even as the reader still knows the general details of what happened. There’s also generally less squick for more disturbing. Overall a very effective technique.

Anyways, explicit violence/torture or not, flinching is no fun, especially when it comes to abusing favorite characters. :P

Ok, let’s ask a question.

We’ve already established that we should use violence sparingly, so when we do use it, it’s for maximum effect and impact. Also, we want to focus more on the after-effects, psychologically.

However, let’s say that one part of violence must be portrayed in the whole. It’s essential for some reason or other. Let’s say, for this example, that it’s a torture scene. How do you go about writing about something like this? What language, imagery, etc. would you use? Because I’m definitely not going to go out and get tortured somewhere so I’ve known the experience. There’s something to be said for experiencing what your character experiences, but I think we all agree that there’s a limit to that reasoning.

@Snow White Queen

>There’s something to be said for experiencing what your character experiences, but I think we all agree that there’s a limit to that reasoning.

Not true. I would never have had the deep, personal knowledge of addiction that fueled my passion for Rob Newark, the junkie in my last novella, Pride’s Fall, without having first been a heroin addict myself.

But ‘write what you know’ can’t be applied to everything. Are you seriously going to go get raped so you can write a rape scene?

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2009

@SWQ

This is where research comes into play. If you have access to a sociology and/or psychology database, you can look up a number of case studies dealing with the psychological after-effects of torture, abuse, and rape in addition to why people torture, abuse, and rape. Additional information can be researched from historical sources detailing things such as attitudes towards the above, methods, and how victims were viewed, if they survived. Keeping a medical/anatomical reference on hand will also help add to the realism.

Basically, research what you don’t know so that, at the very least, you know the core details of what you are talking/writing about. Once you’ve got the research out of the way, you can take liberties to fill in the gaps/elaborate so that the scene doesn’t read like a dry case study/detatched text.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2009

The best thing of all, I suppose, would be to actually talk to someone who’d experienced what you want to write about- although this might be a bit difficult if you’re writing a book with a torture scene set during the Spanish Inquisition.

I really dislike books where something bad happens to the character and by the next chapter, he’s forgotten about it.

That gets completely subverted by Tamora Pierce, because not one, but two of her characters in the Circle series get PTSD, one of them because she accidentally killed several innocent people as a result of her defense of her home (she calls down lightening on their ships), and the other one because he and his teacher tried to warn a country of their upcoming invasion and were imprisoned for a while by the enemy.

The best thing of all, I suppose, would be to actually talk to someone who’d experienced what you want to write about- although this might be a bit difficult if you’re writing a book with a torture scene set during the Spanish Inquisition.

To use Tamora Pierce as an example again, you can take elements of the present and put them into your story. They didn’t call it PTSD in the Middle Ages, but there probably were knights who came back and had nightmares about killing Saracens. You can tailor things to your individual needs.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2009 edited

Oh, that is a good point- I suppose the “human experience” is the same no matter what the time period, so you’re bound to find somebody somewhere who’s written/spoken about their particular experience that can then be applied to whatever you’re writing about.