Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

Seriously? We spend half our time in this community bashing Inheritance and Twilight and the other half telling each other about how dad walked in on us digging for nuggets in assanine threads.

Can’t we do something more productive and thoughtful as a community?

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2009

I block out Twilight and Inheritance categories.. so.. yeah. WW will be more productive.

OK. Like… more writing threads?

I’m just saying. There’s maybe two active writing threads at the moment and like a hundred casual/bashing ones.

Can’t we do something more productive and thoughtful as a community?

no

It’s the Basic Rule of Humans, Dr. Al: People enjoy griping more than praising. That is why the Minor Quibbles thread is longer than the Victories thread. It’s more fun to vent.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

You want a change, you make a change. Or you could complain about it, whichever.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I’m just saying. There’s maybe two active writing threads at the moment and like a hundred casual/bashing ones.

I’ve written two smallish articles on the front and am planning another one.

You want a change, you make a change. Or you could complain about it, whichever.

Oh I don’t know, maybe by bringing the problem to light I’m being extremely passive about it.

It’s not really like it was a deep dark secret.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I think we should critique each others writing more… Adampottle’s had his writing up for a while now, and only about 3-4 people have critiqued it…

I’m going to go read it right now, sorry about my laziness, Adam.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2009 edited

Oh I don’t know, maybe by bringing the problem to light I’m being extremely passive about it.

Er, sorry. Except that quite a few people have pointed out the same problem before.

True. How about this: since I make a lot of Twilight threads, every time I make one I’ll also post to a critique thread or make a writing thread. OK?

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

II has evolved (or devolved, if you want to look at it that way) into more of a community setting, less about writing. WW will be focused more on writing, and much more exclusive.

I think we need to get the Twilight and Inheritance out of the system. It’s just childish and inhibiting growth.

Everyone needs to be a child sometimes, Dr. Al. And it’s fun to complain – we need to vent, as I said. If we step up the writing threads and decrease the frequency of Twi/Pao threads, we can wean ourselves off them but not remove them completely.

I wouldn’t expect them to vanish from the site, but at the moment they’re the biggest part of it, when they really shouldn’t be. The occasional Twilight thread would be alright, but it’s getting increasingly ridiculous.

Nothing says people are going to suddenly channel the energy they spent taking shots at Twigon into productive discussion, and even if they did, nothing guarantees there’d be much of it. Snarking takes little energy or time, whereas thorough, thoughtful critique takes a significant amount of time and effort. Seems fairly all work/no play.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I agree with DrA, personally I miss the old articles, and I appreciate the articles Virgil’s been submitting. I think II is getting a little obsessed with Twilight and Eragon, we can’t really claim to be a writing website at the moment…

My thanks go to SWQ, the topics she started about the future of reading and such are the ones that I personally find the most interesting to read.

I, frankly, am now just getting overwhelmed whenever I visit II now. I was hoping it would be more like a writers' group with mini-discussions on pet peeves in writing with occasional anti stuff, but everything just kind of drifts offtopic. Which is fine, but it really is becoming more of a sekrit!club with sole uniting factors being anti-twilight and anti-inheritance and silliness. I think we could do more....
    There must be balance:
    'What is the Impish Ideal?'

That's my two cents anyhoo. *fluffs tail and zooms to hide behind a pot*

‘What is the Impish Ideal?’

The defiant cry of a veteran user. Yes, we should make less Twilight discussions. We should try not to derail threads so often and so much. We should strive to become a writing community once more.

Maybe this is just me, but I like things off-topic, even in class. By branching out you get a whole lot of ideas you wouldn’t get on-topic.

So, I think this is the general consensus:

1. Fewer Twi- and Inheri-Threads.
    2. More Writing and Critique threads.
    3. Less off-topic-ness.

Sounds like a plan. Now, I had better finish my homework so I can get started on those writing articles. *Glares at Anthropology homework*

Anthropology? Like—no.

Yes, all users should read this.

Done and done.

@ Puppet- glad you liked the articles.

I agree that we need to be more focused on writing. A bit of snarking is fine, but really, it’s getting a bit old now. Everyone on here is great, and it’s fun to just talk about anything, but I do think we need a purpose, and the one that we originally set out with was a great one.

There is the main site.

Well, there will be snarking, just it won’t be our main-est focus anymore. Or if it is, it’s going towards our main focus- writing.