Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

I don’t like starting discussions. I truly don’t.

I was so very close to calling this thread “Asian Instruments of Torture,” but I decided against it when I realised it could’ve been a terrible pun. The title should be kind of self explanatory.

I play the piano and the guitar, although the guitar, at the moment, is mostly for my sake. I’d love to learn how to play the violin and the trumpet as well. And the mandolin. That mustn’t be forgotten.

Um, is this just a thread where we say what instruments we play?

I play the piano, but I’m not very good at it.

Um, is this just a thread where we say what instruments we play?

Yes. I should’ve clarified. It’s also for discussion on instruments and such, though.

Alrighty then. I had a brief stint at the base (‘twas a huge intrument, and I played a half-size). I sucked so very much. I quit after one year in orchestra.

I have a piano class right now, and it’s unbearable.

I play percussion (snare, quad, marimba, xylophone, drum set, and others..) and Bass.

I no longer attend piano lessons. Why is it unbearable?

That’s a lot of instruments… are all percussion pretty similar to play?

I’m pretty keen on the beatbox.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2009

Piano. Since I was five. :/

I play violin and have for six or seven years.
    I have played fife for two years and Irish flute for one.

• CommentAuthorDamselfly

I played violin for 4 years and French horn for 5...I haven't played either in a few years. *is sad*
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson

OK on piano- took lessons for about five years. Three when I was younger, and two more recently.

•  
      CommentAuthorAdamPottle

I play a mean triangle.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Piano since I was eight, but I’m extremely thick in that area and so I’m not really that good even after nine years of lessons. At least I enjoy it. D:

Percussion instruments usually use mallets to hit vibrating plates that are arranged like piano keys, so it’s not hard to figure out in five or six years. :]

I want to learn to play the harmonica. That’s a suitably badass instrument.

hat’s a suitably badass instrument.

No, the guitar is. You can play electric to seem really cool (or, if you want, to impress girls), and then play acoustic to seem cool (and keep the girls).

Every chump plays guitar. My brother roomed with a guy his freshman year who had a six man band, and five of them played guitar.

Wow.

What about the violin? You can play it and seem like quite the cultured villain.

Cliched villain, that is!

You can be an old school bluesman with a harmonica. That never goes out of style.

What about the violin?

Electric violins look really cool too.

The musician in me is / I am staring.

not drooling

They’re just so awesome-looking.

I am sad that no one sees the wittiness of the thread title. ;_;

HA HA HA, the wittiness of the thread title was great! There, happy? ;)

I play piano, clarinet, banjo, some guitar, some oboe and I sing.

It seemed a bit sarcastic, but I’ll still take it. :D Thank you so very much. * bows*

Is the banjo much different from the guitar? I thought it had six strings.

I still don’t get the title. I expected this thread to be about biwa music or somesuch when I clicked on it.

• CommentAuthorGolcondio
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2009 edited

I play the guitar (electric and a bit of acoustic), the touchstyle guitar (a monster with 6 guitar strings and 6 bass strings, played simultaneously on a single neck), some west-african drums (mostly djembe,mostly badly), and I’m trying to dabble in synth and drum programming…

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2009

I can’t play any instruments, but I own a recorder (a cheap plastic one that I was forced to get in primary school), a kalimba (a cheap badly-tuned souveneir one), an Irish tin whistle (again, a cheap poorly-tuned one), and about three feet of digeridoo offcut (I’m sensing a trend here…).

I’d also love to own a tongue drum and a krin drum, but those are expensive, and I’d just be disappointed yet again by my lack of musical ability.

Is the banjo much different from the guitar? I thought it had six strings.

It’s slightly different, but has the same principles as the guitar.

I still don’t get the title. I expected this thread to be about biwa music or somesuch when I clicked on it.

Don’t you know about the truth stereotype that Asian parents force their children to play the violin/cello/piano/ and/or other random instrument?

It’s slightly different, but has the same principles as the guitar.

Ah.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

The one instrument I wish I could play is the organ… my mother has this beautiful A-102 Hammond organ that I totally fail at playing. She’s good, though.

I play ze piano. Been doin' so for eight years and am so totally glad my parents forced me to start. Tis very good for calming frayed nerves.

And I also play a smidge of Bodhran....

Piano for four years, couldn’t do lessons after I went to high school.

Also, I tried guitar when I was seven. I quit after the teacher made me cut my nails. I love my nails!

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

The banjo’s similar to the guitar in that it’s got a neck, body, and strungs that you pluck, but the similarities sort of end there. The style in which it’s normally played is completely different, too. Most banjos have only four and a half strings (the fifth string ends ‘bout halfway up the neck. I’ve asked my brother about the purpose of this string a number of times and so far have failed to get a straight answer), and the body is like a little drum instead of just wood.

Anyway. tl;dr, banjos are different. My brother tried to teach me some a long time ago, but he’s a musical genius and I’m not, so that ended quickly. D:

Piano and I suck at it. Used to play flute, and I sucked at that too.

I also sing, does that count?

Yes.

I sing.