Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

No offense to sansa, and I“ll even admit that the actress playing Rosalie looked more the part in Twilight2 –

But after seeing her with blond hair in Spidey 3, I think Bryce would have made a much more beautiful Rosalie.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2010

We’ll be watching you, Nate. In case things get any more severe.

Panel 4 FTW:

•  
      CommentAuthorSilivren
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2010

I honestly just read this in response to someone posting their opinions about Twilight.

"WHY are you people even letting these “haters” get to you? They aren’t going to stop ANYONE from liking Twilight. They are miserable, old fucks who think that Stephen King actually writes good books. I mean, Carrie? Come on? Stephen King is OVERFUCKINGRATED. Stop letting them get to you. TWILIGHT FUCKING OWNS."

I'm sorry that I always just jump in here randomly and post things that have nothing to do with the ongoing conversation; I just felt this needed to be seen.

@Silivren

Ironic because a frequent point of ours on this site is that Twilight COULD pwn… and yet it frequently doesn’t.

Ok, 1 more.

(this post shouldn’t be here, but on the LotR topic, my bad)

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2010

I feel so sorry for poor Mal.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2010

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2010

o.O OK then…

That’s only slightly disturbing.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2010

^^I love the Oatmeal! The only thing missing is that in the comic, he calls Bella “Pants” because he can’t remember her name, which is just awesome for some reason.

That was short, sweet, and TOTALLY AWESOME.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2010

Hey, check out what just got posted at agonybooth.com.

Hey, check out what just got posted at agonybooth.com.

YES!

Jet’s back!

So that’s New Moon. A story about a passive, bitchy idiot being fought over by an emotionally distant dickwad and a hormonal dope with a violent temper.

Truer words were never spoken.

AWWWWWWWWWWWWW YEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH. About time.

Also, EW.com apparently put out a list of the 100 best characters in the past 20 years, and Edward Cullen was only two spots below Omar Little. I made about 5 different ragefaces at the same time.

100 best characters in the past 20 years, and Edward Cullen was only two spots below Omar Little declared ineligible because he has no personality, and therefore no character. I made about 5 different ragefaces happy faces at the same time.

Fixed that for you.

I much prefer Alien’s version of events.

Heh. Homer Simpson was #1.

Actually, the whole list is pretty clueless. Elmo? Hancock? Roseanne?

Haha, I love it!

I’m reading it right now. I love how British the guy is.

Also, someone commented on the blatant self-insert of this piece. Please bear in mind that this is a parody in more ways than one.

Self-inserted heroic protagonist battling a Mary-Sue antagonist?

Oh, hell yes, mate.

Love. :)

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2010

By the way, new Head Trip today! :D

This ^^ is brilliant.

Dang it you already linked!!!

cries

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2010

WELL, it was posted a while ago. The internet moves ninja-fast.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2010

I think everyone should know about this. I’d probably do it, but I’m on the wrong end of the east coast.

Too far north. Damn. :(

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2010

Too far away. But you can apparently do your own. Cool.

So I went to Target to blow a gift card and what did I find near the register but Edward and Jacob Barbies. Best part…the Jacob one didn’t even come with a shirt, so I could admire his plastic six pack.

facepalm

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2010

But, the real question here is… Did you spend your gift card on the Barbie dolls?

No…they were too expensive, and I wasn’t willing to use outside money to buy a Jacob doll. Also, I cannot stick pins in it so it’s not really worth it.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2010

Ugh, the Twilight phenomenon is driving me crazy. So I was at the bookstore today, right, and I’m gleefully sorting through the shelves looking for things to read/buy. First in the comics section, then I think “Hey, I’ll go look through the sci-fi section! Maybe I can find a nice, low-cost copy of the Dune series, which I need to finish, or one of Tolkien’s works that I don’t own yet!”

ONLY to discover SHELVES AND SHELVES of vampire/werewolf-related nonsense. OK, so I’m sure some of it was old stuff repackaged for the Twilight Generation. And probably a lot of it was better than Twilight, and almost as much shelf space was taken up by the Star Wars and Halo books, but still! It was obvious they were just jumping on to the bandwagon. Even the manga section had a prominent rack out front of some series with vampires in it! Thank goodness vampires aren’t popular in comics or I wouldn’t have had any safe place to hide in…

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2010

Wouldn’t it be cool if Halo pandered to the Twilight crowd? Master Chief is actually Madam Chief, and she falls in love with an irrepressibly broody Grunt, who constantly battles with his desire to shoot her in the head.

Wouldn’t it be cool if Halo pandered to the Twilight crowd?

Uh, no? Not at all? Hilarious, maybe, but definitely not “cool”.

Seriously, that’s one of the most mind-blowingly awful premises that I’ve read in my life.

Well given recent circumstances, Metal Gear Solid 5 could work in the Cullens.

Hey, it’s cool when stuff is hilarious.

Hey, it’s cool when stuff is hilarious.

Touché.

So I went to Barnes and Noble, and there was SO MUCH Twilight merchandise. Twilight doorhangers, anyone? How about a wooden Twilight calendar? (I love those things normally, but having one with Edward painted on the side is just too much.)

You and your artery bouquet…

Tee hee. :D

“But at some point you must chooooose!”
    shrug

So I watched some clips of Eclipse…Pattinson and Stewart’s delivery is hilarious.

Ooh, links please! :D

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2010 edited

I’m seeing Eclipse next week with a friend. She likes Twilight. I like seeing her (we meet up rarely, she graduated last year). Also, she’s getting the tickets, so I lulz without paying SMeyer. I look forward to making funny commentary in my head (and then afterwards on here).

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2010

If I can get to the theater within a week of it being released, I might write a review of it for II (Diamonte, interested in helping?)

Ooh, links please! :D

It was on Yahoo! and now I can’t find it. Sorry. :(

Ah, OK. No worries, SWQ. It’s probably better that I don’t see the clips. I might go insane. ;)

Although, there was one part I found slightly humorous. Basically, Edward and Bella meet Jacob, who is of course showing off his abs, and Edward says, “Does he not own a shirt?” or something catty along those lines. Har har har.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2010

That actually sounds like a funny line… because we’ve all been wondering it. All these MANLY! shirtless guys walking around, kinda makes you wonder.

Of course, the fact that RPatz sounds somewhat constipated only serves to make it funnier, if in an unintended way.

Lol. my friend and I are planning to have a lulzathon session. We’re going to her house to watch Twilight and New Moon and Eclipse when it comes out on DVD.

My laughing muscles are going to hurt. Badly.

Because the disappointment on his face is going to be so funny…

One hopes that “Eclipse,” improves upon its predecessors.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2010

I had Jacob end up with Bella. Then they died. I was sad.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

HAHAHA, that was hilarious! I’m trying every path to see what happens. On every one so far, everybody dies.

I hate Twilight’s effect on the publishing industry. Do you have any idea that hard it makes it for people like me, who want romance without supernatural beings?

Wow. Nate’s article was slightly scary because it was true. :P

If I had been a boy, my name would have been Edward… ouch. But my parents planned on nicknaming me Ward.

I’m so happy I’m a girl. Anyway, yeah… seeing Eclipse in about four hours. Siiiiiiiiiigh. And all snarking must be in my head, I don’t want to be rude to my friend.

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark

I’d actually like the name Edward, even after Twilight I think it’s pretty awesome.

I like the name Edward too, but it’s probably too tainted to use for a kid now.

You could always try Edmund instead.

No, that sounds too Brit. My children will be men.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Or Nedward? Eddard? There must be more Edwardlike names.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2010 edited

Edwin?

“Greetings. I am Edwin Odesseiron. You simians may refer to me merely as “Sir,” if you prefer a less… syllable-intensive workout.”

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

@sansa

Wait, how dose British = un-manly?

Eddard would be okay, if only for the Ice and Fire reference.

Wait, how dose British = un-manly?

It’s just nebbishy, man.

• CommentTimeJun 30th 2010 edited

Pfft. British = manly.

See?

Scots don’t count.

Part of the British Isles… so yes they do.

NO. That’s like counting the Irish.

Is not! Ireland is a separate island! SCOTLAND IS NOT.

See?

The Irish are only british if they’re northern.

According to my old Latin teacher, who lived in Scotland for several years as an expatriate, the Scots deeply resent being called “British”. Just thought that I’d clear that up.

See, Willow, you and your geography and your Anglophilia can all go jump off a cliff.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Twilight ruined Sense and Sensibility for me, by the way. Because the guy is named Edward.

Twilight ruined Sense and Sensibility for me, by the way. Because the guy is named Edward.

Twilight ruined my cousin because his name is Edward.

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Now I have a name to stick on that quote.

Twilight ruined my cousin because his name is Edward.

Lol. I really did.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Why Team Jacob Always Has to Lose in Twilight

This is why I love io9 and Annalee Newitz. The best part, from the conclusion: “Why does Team Jacob always have to lose? Because Eclipse is a movie about rejecting adulthood, not just as a person but also as a culture. It’s about rejecting adult relationships between men and women, but also between people of different races and between people from the city (like Victoria’s army) and people from Forks. It’s about never crossing boundaries, never leaving home.”

Well said!

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2010

You guys know Better Homes and Gardens, yes?

The Australian version is advertising their next television show:

“Give your room a Twilight makeover!”

Tara’s Twilight bedroom makeover

You’ve seen the movie, now get ready to see the makeover. This ‘Twilight’ inspired bedroom makeover is one you can really sink your teeth into. Perfect for any teenage girl, Tara shows you how you can turn your room into a romantic fantasy-land.

“romantic fantasy land”, which includes Goffick fishnet blooming curtains, and HUGE posters of Edward and Jacob on every blank wall.

I very nearly facedesked into a clothes horse.

.....if I weren’t at work, head would have met desk. What. the. hell?

I love io9.

Team You Are Not Allowed To Have An Interracial Relationship

Team You Must Be Controlled By An Older Man Who Hates Sex

When Bella rejects Jacob, she is solidifying a distaste these films have for interracial relationships (sexual or otherwise) that began with Laurent and Victoria. So what does Bella trade in her potential native boyfriend for? Edward is so white that he sparkles in sunlight, but she’s not exactly making a KKK choice here. Actually what she wants is a daddy in a hot young boy’s body.

Remember, Edward is old enough to be Bella’s great-grandfather, and most of the time he treats Bella like his little girl. He watches over her when she sleeps, tells her who she should hang out with, and (at one point) grounds her from using her car because he’s not happy with her intention to see Jacob. Compare that to her father’s behavior. The movie begins with Bella having been grounded by her father, who also insists that she not see Edward so much (he’s Team Jacob). So basically Edward’s behavior seems to mirror her father’s. In fact, it turns out that Bella’s cop father is actually tracking the very same vampire that the Cullen family is tracking – Victoria’s lieutenant in the newborn army.

Team Don’t Date The Guy Who Wants Sex As Much As You Do

In Eclipse, as in the previous two films, Bella is full of sexual desire – for Edward primarily, but also for Jacob, whose shirtless body is put on display for us pretty much every time he’s on screen. There is a terrific moment in Eclipse where Jacob has to carry Bella through the forest, and he tells her he can feel how nervous he makes her – he knows she wants him. And she has to admit it’s true. We know that if Bella were to choose Jacob there would be no icky faces when she tries to have sex. He doesn’t reject her sexual desire – he welcomes it.

Rejecting Jacob is a way of rejecting the consummation of her desire. It’s a rejection of the man who finds her unambiguously appealing, and isn’t horrified by his own desires either. (Edward is always insisting that if he had sex with Bella it could kill her.) “Being with me would be as easy as breathing,” Jacob tells Bella. But she doesn’t want to breathe, or even be alive. She wants to remain frozen in unrequited desire, lusting after a man who finds lust disgusting.

And here we see again why Twilight is the racist antithesis of modern feminism.

• CommentTimeJul 1st 2010 edited

lusting after a man who finds lust disgusting.

...ok, slightly off the mark there. Edward seems very fond of the lust, he just wants to resist it. Hating sex is not required. It’s just Team Do Not Have Sex Before Marriage EVER. Still mostly a good article.

I’d also like to note, there is TOO MUCH MAKING OUT IN ECLIPSE. Edward/Bella. Alice/Jasper. Jacob/Bella. Edward/Bella rolling around on a bed. Jacob/Bella again. Victoria/Riley. Edward/Bella. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD I GET IT YOUR AUDIENCE IS SEXUALLY FRUSTRATED WOMEN, BUT SHOWING THEM ALL THE MAKING OUT MAKES THEM MORE FRUSTRATED, DAMMIT!

Edward/Bella rolling around on a bed.

It’s depressing that my love life resembles Bella’s so closely.

It’s depressing that my love life resembles Bella’s so closely.

O.O Say what? What have you been up to?

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2010

You are in a relationship with a vampire?

•  
      CommentAuthorSMARTALIENQT
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2010 edited

O.O Say what? What have you been up to?

Not recently. I’ve been single since October. But my ex-boyfriend was just as uptight as Edward, except in terms of making out on couches.

And oh how your popularity among the boys zings when you’re unavailable.

Yeah, men are weird that way. Soon as I met Andrew, that random British guy popped up (to my confusion and discomfort). And I had never gotten hit on before (except by my previous boyfriends who were several years apart), so the timing was weird.

Soon as I met Andrew, that random British guy popped up (to my confusion and discomfort). And I had never gotten hit on before (except by my previous boyfriends who were several years apart), so the timing was weird.

Just as my ex and I were starting to get beyond “ooh, she’s a girl” and “yay, he’s noticing me,” I started getting hit on by this really attractive senior. It was so weird. Like, ridiculously so. Saying I was cute. Defending my ineptitude at pool. Teaching me pool.

Now I’m back to plain old unattractive Smartie. :(