Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    Is it just me or does Taylor Lautner resemble Taylor Swift?

Maybe he's her male version?

^^ All that makes me think of is when people were saying if they got married, they’d both be Taylor Lautner.

Now that you mention it, their faces look kind of similar. Sort of.

I seriously doubt Lautner is on anything other than a good workout routine and various supplements. Accusing him of steroid abuse just smacks of sour grapes.

I never said anything about roid abuse. :D

I wasn’t talking to you.

Ah.

I wasn’t the one who said Taylor Lautner’s Abs. That was Danielle. I said RPattz’s hair.

Just to set the story straight.

Oh, well then.

I never said anything about roid abuse. :D

Nevermind, it was you. I thought it was Klutor for some reason.

I hate to break this to you mah dear but he’s on roids, which is cheating.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2011

@Spanman – That was a thing of beauty, I just have to say. If the books were written like that entirely from Emmett’s perspective, I think I might have actually liked them.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2011

Let us mourn for the passing of #4 in Nate’s link…

And rejoice for the awesomeness that is Headtrip!

I was rating movies on Netflix, and it had New Moon in comedies.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2011

Bwahah, that’s pretty hilarious. :D

^^That’s awesome. I hope that’s real

I thought it was Klutor for some reason.

Wasn’t me.
    I’m just an almost-innocent bystander.

Let us mourn for the passing of #4 in Nate’s link…

Yes.
    Let us shed Manly Tears, Nate.
    That would’ve been the exact movie I imagined when my sister first informed me about “this new vampire movie coming out” starring “that not-very-famous guy who played Cedric”.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2011 edited

A chance to win a meeting with Smeyer.

We all must enter.

Oh, and someone should post this to Anti-Shurtugal too.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2011

Oh please oh please oh please! How awesome would that be if an anti got to win?!

Unfortunately, I’m not willing to pay for postage for this thing. Yes, 50 cents (or however much it costs to send a postcard) is too much for me if it’s spent doing something Twilight-related… no matter whether Smeyer gets the money or not.

Doing a bit of research leads me into an overlong rant.

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2011

^^I hope that’s photoshopped. Otherwise, the world is doomed.

If it is shopped then, well, there are people out there with Twi-tattoos.
    True fact.

Also, a quote from SM herself: “And stalking doesn’t scare me. I’ve never stalked anyone (yet), but I think I would be AWESOME at it.”

Firstly – don’t abuse the A-word, Meyer. It’s a perfectly cool and often-used word that has done nothing wrong.
    Secondly – so I take it someone accused your characters of being stalkers to your face? You poor thing. When I was 16, my older cousin (and only critic in my life at that time) accused me of creating a whole cast of emotionally stunted characters. I didn’t get defensive about it – I learned from it.
    Which brings me to…
    Thirdly – do you honestly see nothing wrong with stalking someone? Seriously? WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU, WOMAN?

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2011

Yeah, are tattoos aren’t that bad. I’ve seen scarier Stargate ones.

But, y’know, those people are usually the superest nicest people.

“And stalking doesn’t scare me. I’ve never stalked anyone (yet), but I think I would be AWESOME at it.”

This is not even funny. Stalking is an act of harrassment—repeatedly showing up at someone’s doorstep, constantly following them around and sending them creepy messages is NOT romantic. It is terrifying—I’ve only had this happen once to someone I know, and I admired her for how calmly she took it, but she had to change her cell phone number and repeatedly threaten to call the police before he would stop. THAT IS NOT A LOVE STORY, JUST AS LITTLE RED RIDING HOOD IS NOT A LOVE STORY.

Someone explain to me why people are so goddamn stupid??

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2011

If it is shopped then, well, there are people out there with Twi-tattoos.

D:

Why did I even ask the question? I could be so much better off without knowing that sad, sad fact.

Twilight 4 movie review.

I lol’d so much…

What did he say (cause I have no speakers and I must scream)?

Also, a book review of Twilight in a local women’s mag called it “one of the most romantic books you’ll ever read” and compared it to Gone with the Wind, Pride and Prejudice and the Bronte sisters. True fact.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2011

and the Bronte sisters.

Well, there’s your first problem. When I think “Bronte sisters”, I think “Wuthering Heights”, and that is most assuredly not a romantic book. It’s an excellent one, to be sure, but definitely not a happy little romance story! I haven’t read Jane Eyre or other books by the Bronte sisters, though, so maybe those ones are a bit more romantic?

Oh wow, that must have been so friggin' painful! -.-|||
    •  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2011

Well, the from the little I recall, Jane Eyre wouldn’t work, because she actually stood up for her principles! For a while anyway. But it’s been a year or more? since I read it the second time; I’ll have to pick it up again.

I didn’t actually read Jane Erye, but I saw the movie a few years ago, and I think

•  
      CommentAuthorThea

I want to see the new movie? I’ve only seen the trailer for it once on The King’s Speech so I think it’s new.

It’s an excellent one, to be sure, but definitely not a happy little romance story!

Yeah, from what I’ve heard the leading male (Heathcliff or something) is the archetypal BadBoy™.
    A lot of readers (SM included, of course) missed out on the memo that guys like that are not good, and are usually psycho’s.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2011 edited

I suppose Heathcliff was an archetypal BadBoy™ by some definitions, but in the actual book he was most definitely a psycho first (and last, for that matter) and so was Catherine version 1. There is eventually a romance, in like, the last few pages that kinda worked, but for the most part, every other relationship (romantic or not) was abusive in one way or another. Every single person.

So, actually, rather a lot like Twilight. Or Eclipse or whichever one used Wuthering Heights

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

The difference being, of course, that in Wuthering Heights it was intentional!

Yeah, WH is basically a story about why you shouldn’t be attracted to the BadBoys, because there’s a reason they’re “bad”. The moral of the story is pretty much “don’t marry someone because they seem exciting and you feel sorry for them, marry someone because they’re a good person and nice to you.”

The difference being, of course, that in Wuthering Heights it was intentional!

Yeah, I know! Kinda like Romeo & Juliet – the whole screwup happens not because their parents “just don’t get it”, it happens because everyone in the play (except for Mercutio and prince Escalus) is a raging idiot.
    We’re supposed to learn a lesson from it, while sniffing into our tissues because “they died so young“.
    And yet most people miss that part.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2011

everyone in the play (except for Mercutio and prince Escalus) is a raging idiot.

Mostly the title characters. And I’d add Benvolio to the list of not-idiots. Mostly because he disappears about half way through the play.

And I’d add Benvolio to the list of not-idiots.

Oh yeah. I would say he’s less idiotic than Mercutio, although Mercutio is definitely more entertaining. Whatever happened to Benvolio?

And I’d add Benvolio to the list of not-idiots.

Yeah, him and the Nurse. I forgot them.

I would say he’s less idiotic than Mercutio

Gonna have to disagree with you there. When we first see Benvolio, he’s trying to cheer up Romeo (who is being emo about his crush on Rosaline), telling him that everything’s going to be all right. When we first see Mercutio, he’s like “Damn, Romeo, snap out of it! It’s gonna kill you, man!”
    He keeps warning Romeo not to act on instinct and hormones. In other words, he saw it all coming a mile away.

although Mercutio is definitely more entertaining

Definitely. I love that guy – he’s funny, he’s dirty, he’s honest, he’s cynical, he’s just downright crazy (and he has a lot of insight, too).:-)

Whatever happened to Benvolio?

He survived, that’s all I remember.

the Nurse

I don’t know, I found Nurse annoying. She just wouldn’t shut up. :/

Gonna have to disagree with you there. When we first see Benvolio, he’s trying to cheer up Romeo (who is being emo about his crush on Rosaline), telling him that everything’s going to be all right. When we first see Mercutio, he’s like “Damn, Romeo, snap out of it! It’s gonna kill you, man!”
    He keeps warning Romeo not to act on instinct and hormones. In other words, he saw it all coming a mile away.

Oh, that’s true, I didn’t remember that part. In that case, they’d be about the same level of idiocy.

Hahahaha, suffice to say that they’re both far more reasonable than Mr Montague Junior, then.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2011

Kinda off-topic, but I’ve been thinking about doing a re-write of Romeo & Juliet from Benvolio’s perspective. Just to get the story from an outside perspective (i.e. saying ‘you two realize that you’re being idiots, right?’ to the main characters)

I would totally love to read that! :D It sounds really cool.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2011

That would be really interesting! I love the idea. Get the idea out there to combat the common misconception :)

Kinda off-topic, but I’ve been thinking about doing a re-write of Romeo & Juliet from Benvolio’s perspective. Just to get the story from an outside perspective (i.e. saying ‘you two realize that you’re being idiots, right?’ to the main characters)

Do it, Apep.
    Dooooooo eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2011

If you do it in English sonnet form there will be much rejoicing.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2011

Okay. I’ll put that on my “To Write” list. It’s getting kinda long…

^I hear ya, brother.

Here you go, ladies. Don’t say I never did you any favors. ;-)

Now that’s how it’s done, son!

There is one – and only one – vampire with an “angelic face”.

He’s amazing...
    sigh

In other news – we all know about the Eddy-breaking-Bella’s-car scene in Eclipse, right?
    I always thought it was creepy and wrong….
    ....but then I read das mervin’s spork, in which she put up the actual scene in its entirety.

I was thoroughly disgusted.

KLUTOR! I am… A-S-H-A-M-E-D!

You should know better than to reference a spork and not link it! XD

Whoa, easy there… I’ve been having trouble with my connection for a while now – knocking me off at random times.

Lemme see…

rummages around
    I got a jar of disturbing psychotic sexism!

You forgot the colon after the quotation marks.

^Dammit!
    Sorry ‘bout that.

Could you still copypaste the link and check it out, though?

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2011

You can edit your post, y’know. ;)

•  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2011

I love those sporks! (should I have linked them sooner? I just sort of assume I’m the last to know anything)

You can edit your post, y’know. ;)

I did that 35 minutes a few moments ago.
    :-D

Thank you Klutor.

I think it’s a rule: Supernatural Fans make the best Twilight sporkers.

You’re welcome.
    :-)

I think it’s a rule

No, it’s not.
    It’s a fact.

And yes I’m binging on Mervin now. Damn you Klutor! How will I ever get published with these distractions?

And yes I’m binging on Mervin now.

I’ve been there.
    Don’t skip the comment sections, either – those guys and gals are pretty damn smart, too.

There’s something so fake about all the faces in Twilight posters…makes everything ten times creepier than it should be.

The trailer for Breaking Dawn is out.

And once again, Eclipse sweeped the MTV Movie Awards.

The mere summary shocks me into convulsions.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2011

The trailer for Breaking Dawn is out.

Oh, that hurts.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

I just watched it, and I have a few thoughts. First, EPIC MUSIC OF EPIC-NESS does not go well with ‘delivery of wedding invitations’. The dissonance between what the music implies and what the images show almost gave me whiplash. Second, I really wanted Jacob’s dad to scream something like “Dammit, boy, I would it kill you to take off your shorts before you wolf out? I’m not made of money, you know!” Third, while I admit that I’ve never gotten a good look at Kristen Stewart’s body, she didn’t look particularly pregnant at the end of that trailer. Why is she acting so shocked?

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

It’s the moment when it occurs to her that she might be pregnant, so it stands to reason that she wouldn’t be showing.

^Also the little chestburster demon spawn Super Sue Baby Enfante Terrible magically awesome fetus probably started kicking a day after conception already, on account of it her being what she is.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2011

I suppose. Still, the trailer makes this out like it’s EPIC when I’m thinking “Congrats, Bella, you got married straight out of high school, and are now pregnant. You’re transition from ‘modern independent quasi-feminist’ to ‘white-trash stereotype’ is nearly complete.”

@Klutor: true, but the hell spawn fetus can’t be that big, so I’m wondering how she can feel anything at all.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2011

Apparently it was sort of eating her from the inside out. I seem to recall that eventually it broke several of her ribs and, in the end, her back. So yeah. Squick.

If we’re going to apply maths to a canon that has already raped and ravaged physics, biology, geography and history….

Let’s say Renesmee was about 60cm (2ft) long and 5kg (11 pounds) heavy at birth – pretty damn conservative, but work with me here.
    The pregnancy lasted two weeks, which means that she had two weeks after her conception to reach that size. In other words, after a day or two, she was already pretty sizeable; let’s say about the size of a marble-hard golf ball. There’s no way in hell you won’t feel it when there’s something like that hanging around in your lower abdomen.

Like Spanman said: SQUICK.

•  
      CommentAuthorWulfRitter
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2011

I’m going to ask a dumb question: why in the flamiest flames of hell are there people who let their eight-year-olds read this smoking pile of poo? If this series is supposed to appeal to the fantasies of teenaged girls, who the crap has fantasies about some tripped-out pregnancy with Alien -esque vampire babies?

I knew a kid who was allowed to read Twilight but wasn’t allowed to read Harry Potter because of OMGwitchcraft! She censored herself actually, and didn’t read the last book (possibly the one before that also) because she heard what was in it.

I declare right now:

The rifftrax of bleeding Breaking Dawn will be the funniest thing ever made by a human or 3.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2011

The pregnancy lasted two weeks, which means that she had two weeks after her conception to reach that size. In other words, after a day or two, she was already pretty sizeable; let’s say about the size of a marble-hard golf ball.

Actually she was pregnant for more like four weeks (can you believe I just looked this up? GAH), but your estimation of size is still right since she’d already been on her honeymoon for at least a week and was probably pregnant for several days before she noticed the painful, oddly carnivorous lump in her abdomen.

All right, now I’m really squicked out. STOPPING.

@WulfRitter – you wanna know what’s really funny? My sister knew the plots of the first 3 books, cause she saw the movies. She didn’t know what goes down in BD. So I told her, and she had the expected, normal-human reaction.
    An hour or two later we talked about classic movies.
    My brother and I loved Alien to bits. My sister was unfamiliar with it. So we told her the plot. Her reaction?
    “Ew, that’s disgusting. Sounds just like that half-vampire monster baby shit from BD.”
    Of course, I just loved pointing out that Alien was supposed to gross you out, cause it’s a horror. BD has no such excuse.

I declare right now:

I support your declaration, Nate. But they’ll have to make 2, cause there will be 2 movies.

can you believe I just looked this up? GAH

Thought I was a bit off. Your suffering in the name of research does not go unnoticed. You are a brave soul.

But they’ll have to make 2, cause there will be 2 movies.

Because they are copying Harry Potter.

Of course I meant both parts put together.

Because they are copying Harry Potter.

Also because they’re suffering from the illusion that the bulk of BD’s pages are somehow not taken up by fluffy filler. Seriously, you can take the entire book and adapt it, and then you’ll end up with a 40-minute-long “movie”. 50 minutes at the most.

Of course I meant both parts put together.

Part I: Eternal Happiness is just a Bloody Mutant Birth Away.
    Part II: Why Make your Climax consist of an Epic Battle when you can make it consist of Nothing More Than People Bitching and Making Out?

Hang on a second… has anyone here watched the Twilight riffs? Do I need to have a viewing party?

^Question 1 – no, I haven’t. I’ve read a number of different sporks and snark-script versions, though.

Question 2 – Now that’s a good idea.:-)

•  
      CommentAuthorWulfRitter
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2011

“has anyone here watched the Twilight riffs?”

I’ve watched the first two. Honestly, I don’t know how people can watch these movies without them. These films are so bad that they’re practically parodying themselves.

But I like the first movie because it knows how ridiculous it’s being.

I haven’t seen the Twilight riffs. Nate, please do organise a viewing party. Just wait till I have time to get Skype, in two weeks :) thanks.

Also because they’re suffering from the illusion that the bulk of BD’s pages are somehow not taken up by fluffy filler. Seriously, you can take the entire book and adapt it, and then you’ll end up with a 40-minute-long “movie”. 50 minutes at the most.

Uh… you do realise that most of the first movie will be taken up by vampire/human porn and general wedding squee, right? That can go on for as long as the filmmakers need it to.

Skype! Steph you’re brilliant!

So… I’ll have to figure out how to organize a skype viewing party. What days and times (plz lmk which time zone) are best for everyone?

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2011

So hi.

Before I get cracking I'd like to thank ImpishIdea for both showing me that fantasy can be as interesting and well-done as my usual realm of SF (The original opinion was my fault really for only reading stuff from the 60s'-80s' - some of their cover art is just preposterous) and for helping me develop an insatiable, crippling addiction to TvTropes.

Actually, that second one's all your darn fault, Nate Winchester. I can't decide whether to thank you profusely or utter maledictions upon you under my breath.

Anyway, on to the fun part, more Twilight bashing. I actually have a sincere question, surprisingly enough. I read Artimaeus' article on the psychology of Twilight's success (props dude, it was great), and I'd like to ask:

Has anyone ever met or been a die-hard Twilight fan who made it all the way through the fourth book? I happen to hold somewhat old-fashioned ideas regarding chivalry, romance and the fairer sex, as you can probably tell, and I honestly just can't square the wistful and dreamy longing for Edward, which I can at least partially understand even though it annoys the crap out of me, with the frankly grotesque violence of That One Scene in Breaking Dawn. I don't mind violence when it has a purpose, but I don't go out of my way to find slasher films or stuff like that. Honestly, what do people who still like this series when they're done make of that scene? Do they just pretend it never happened? What does the author herself make of it? Any input? I saw you guys were talking about this recently, so I figured it was worth asking.

and for helping me develop an insatiable, crippling addiction to TvTropes.
    Actually, that second one’s all your darn fault, Nate Winchester. I can’t decide whether to thank you profusely or utter maledictions upon you under my breath.

Most people do both. Also, I can’t tell you just how much you improved my day. Feel free to vandalize my Trope user page in revenge. XD

Has anyone ever met or been a die-hard Twilight fan who made it all the way through the fourth book? I happen to hold somewhat old-fashioned ideas regarding chivalry, romance and the fairer sex, as you can probably tell, and I honestly just can’t square the wistful and dreamy longing for Edward, which I can at least partially understand even though it annoys the crap out of me, with the frankly grotesque violence of That One Scene in Breaking Dawn. I don’t mind violence when it has a purpose, but I don’t go out of my way to find slasher films or stuff like that. Honestly, what do people who still like this series when they’re done make of that scene? Do they just pretend it never happened? What does the author herself make of it? Any input? I saw you guys were talking about this recently, so I figured it was worth asking.

I know 2 people that were a twihards. One of them is actually Asahel’s wife, and I think she pretty much jumped ship at book 4 (at least, he says she admitted that maybe it had problems at that point). The other person was… a little weird, so I don’t think book 4 slowed them down at all.

Unless there’s some whole psychology thing about pregnancy in general there. Let’s face it, giving birth is kind of squick so… maybe the book helps the fans deal with it or something.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

"vandalize your Trope page?" My dear sir, I am no vandal. And revenge, as I'm sure you know, is best served when unexpected and long premeditated. My ends will not be served by any mere act of defacement...

Thanks for the input! Now, if you happen to be approaching the issue from a traditional Judeo-Christian perspective, the pain and mess and general ugliness of birth is either A). A reminder of the curse of Eve and humanity's fallen nature, B). a paradox (through pain and fear comes the joy and peace of life), in keeping with the general tradition of Christianity to like paradoxes (only through death comes life, etc.) or both, or something else in combination with those.

Hell, everybody, Christian or not, knows there's something special about birth. It's one of the two gates of life, a mystical and mysterious force. From that point of view, the Scene is now not only gross on the purely biological level but also a direct contradiction of the sole reason why birth is not merely a disgusting necessity. It's a freaking demonic child eating its mother. It should be obvious to anyone, even without going into the philosophy of why, that there's something quite off there.

You know why this hidden comment is funny? Because I clicked on the link without even thinking about it. Well played indeed. You jerk me about by a very short chain.

“vandalize your Trope page?” My dear sir, I am no vandal. And revenge, as I’m sure you know, is best served when unexpected and long premeditated. My ends will not be served by any mere act of defacement…

You know why this hidden comment is funny? Because I clicked on the link without even thinking about it. Well played indeed. You jerk me about by a very short chain.

Just remember that no matter what… I win.

Thanks for the input! Now, if you happen to be approaching the issue from a traditional Judeo-Christian perspective, the pain and mess and general ugliness of birth is either A). A reminder of the curse of Eve and humanity’s fallen nature, B). a paradox (through pain and fear comes the joy and peace of life), in keeping with the general tradition of Christianity to like paradoxes (only through death comes life, etc.) or both, or something else in combination with those.

Hell, everybody, Christian or not, knows there’s something special about birth. It’s one of the two gates of life, a mystical and mysterious force. From that point of view, the Scene is now not only gross on the purely biological level but also a direct contradiction of the sole reason why birth is not merely a disgusting necessity. It’s a freaking demonic child eating its mother. It should be obvious to anyone, even without going into the philosophy of why, that there’s something quite off there.

Let’s avoid a flame war, but I have to wonder how much of it all might play in the culture view of abortion. It seems lately to be a common view (of men and women) of children less as blessings and more as parasites. So, you take the SuperSue child of EdSue & BellaSue…

Well, I don’t need to tell you where some of those ponderings lead.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Touche. I see I am up against a true master.

I reject your foul ten points! Faust makes this day no deals with Mephistopheles!

You ain't flaming me, brother. I wasn't sure just how far I was willing to take the argument, but rest assured that there is a logical conclusion and that you and I are both inching toward it. However, let it be said that that is more of a "why do people complain about the shit in their lives when the Answer, capital-A, is literally hitting them on the head with the biggest hammer it could find?" question, which I do ask myself nearly every day.

The original question was more like this. I'm a guy. Worse, I'm a teenage guy. I think girls as a group are kinda cute and funny. I'm respectful about it, but that's the essential position. Then I find out about this book all the previously mentioned girls really like, which happens to contain this one significant plot point that I, individually, find completely abhorrent. And it's not like a bad 80s movie where the blood and sex is an incidental element that can be cut out without affecting the plot. It's not a tease; it's the whole point of the entire series. This? This repulsive, uber-squicky scene is what Bella (with whom everyone identifies, keep in mind) has been waiting for this whole time? Obviously everyone on this site doesn't need a restatement of the problem from me, but I would like to know what the general trend is after reading THAT. I'd like to believe most people are turned off pretty forcefully, but I'm not sure.