Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

No, you’re wrong, I’m right, it’s boring.

LotR infuriates me. I managed to read it during my LotR phase after the movies come out but goddamn it is just so boring whenever I try to reread it. I’ve never gotten past the first chapter, dear God.

Who the hell walks around Greece randomly killing old kings?

This made me lol.
    And he was an idiot. They predicted he’d kill his dad and marry his mom, so he ran away from home. He could’ve just stayed there and done his very best not to kill his dad and marry his mom, but noooooo.

I tried to read Sherlock Holmes in like sixth grade. I did not care for it. It was dull, and I think I only read a few pages before giving it back to the school library.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2009

Pride and Prejudice is so much fun to reread because of all the banter and machinations and whee.

And LotR is…I dunno. D: The first chapter’s not that long. I love those books.

And yeah, had to read Macbeth sophomore year and it bored me out of my mind. At some point it just gets redundant because I’ve seen it too many times.

Oh, we’re watching an atrocious movie version of Macbeth. There’s no scenery; sometimes they do hold items. They just walk around in front of a black background and recite the play. The acting is terrible as well. One of the witches just drools on herseld and looks high all the time. Lady Macbeth has no visible hair and wears this scarf thing around her head. She looks like a cancer patient. They have a mix of period clothing and modern clothing (think leather jackets). In one scene, Macbeth and Lady Macbeth are kind of making out while reciting their lines, and neither of these people is particularly attractive, so it’s even more aweful to watch. And we’ve only watched Act I. We have to watch the rest on Monday and Tuesday. Ugh.

@ Dr. Alligator: The first chapter is boring. I will readily admit it. LotR is extraordinarily difficult for a casual reader to get into (despite the fact that the writing itself is pretty comprehensible- it’s just so dry).

I however, can deal with boring if it’s made up for later. Which, in the case of LotR, it so totally is.

(Another reason why I too like P+P)

He killed him by accident, remember?

Um, he was blocking the road, him and his fleet of attendants, and Oedipus just flipped out and killed everyone except one guy. This guy reported to the crown that the kind had been killed by foreign bandits just so the legion of bodyguards wouldn’t look like sissies.

As I explained it to my brother: “You know that scene in Robin Hood where Little John fights Robin over the bridge? Imagine a whole bunch of Little Johns, except Robin whups them all.”

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2009

WHAAAAAAAAAT?!!! What is the world coming to?! In fewer than a half-dozen posts, people have called Pride and Prejudice and the Lord of the Rings boring?!! You should all be ashamed of yourselves, being mean to classic literature like that… hoards PnP and LotR

On Oedipus… he was such an idiot. But you know who I hate even more, especially if you take all three “Theban” plays into consideration? Creon. Completely full of himself. He totally got what was coming to him.

^^I agree about Creon. He was an ass too. Then everybody killed themselves, and he was all alone. I hope he learned his lesson.

@ Swenson: Hey, everyone knows I’m a rabid LOTR fan, right? And I’ve read P+P at least five times.

I still love ‘em. :D

• CommentAuthorliadan14
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2009 edited

Agreed on P&P and LOTR. My dad read LOTR out loud to me when I was six. I can’t not like it.

We had to read Antigone in class last year. I don’t get why everyone in ancient Greece had to be such a bastard. Although, on topic, Aeshylus’s plays bored me to tears. There were about two characters and a chorus, and it was basically just pages upon pages of exposition and whining. Nothing happened. Ever. The only one I liked was the Eumenides.

Also liked Sherlock Holmes, actually. Read all of them. The first one was a tad weird though. And Doyle’s attempts at science fiction are really really really boring.

You should all be ashamed of yourselves

And yet, I’m not.

I didn’t say they were bad books.

They’re just an immense bore.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2009

I didn’t find The Lord of the Rings that boring or hard to read, I actually found The Hobbit more boring.

Shrugs

Maybe I was used to his prose, because I start The Lord of the Rings right after I finished The Hobbit.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

The Hobbit was the very first full-length novel that I read by myself, silently. Apparently when I was 4 or 5. I have yet to get all the way through LOTR. The language is very different, see, and LOTR has much more dwelling on insignificancies. I loved Tom Bombadil, but there’s so much waffling on and little things that may add to the world, but not to the plot, that it just draggs on and on, and I always find myself losing interest by around halfway through Two Towers, the furthest I’ve read through it so far.

The Hobbit, however, doesn’t have nearly as many tangents, and uses a much livelier narrator that engages with the audience more than the LOTR narrator, who may as well be Sir David Attenborough. To be fair, I adore and respect Sir David Attenborough, but his voice is most emphatically not one with which to narrate an epic-length novel.

gah. it’s too late at night for me to be compounding clauses. Comma-abuse is rampant. Excuse me, please.

• CommentAuthorWitrin

I’ve only managed to read the Lord of the Rings properly once, I think. Most of the time, I just skip ahead to my favourite bits.

Sherlock Holmes is always good, though. So is Pride & Prejudice.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

I’ve never read Lord of the Rings. I tried to get through it once many years ago, and got to the end of the first book of Fellowship of the Ring before becoming bored and being distracted.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

My friend can’t get past the Old Wood- and by that, I mean she hasn’t even gotten to the willow tree yet. She insists the entire book is nothing except them “walking through the woods” and refuses to just skip ahead.

When I watch the movies, I skip all the Frodo/Sam/Gollum bits, because Aragorn killing things is far more interesting. In the books, though, I mostly read everything.

Aragorn killing things is far more interesting.

And he’s so much more attractive than a whiny, mutilated hobbit.

Although Frodo does have pretty eyes. (And Pippin is cute too! is a Pip fangirl)

Ironically, I started out by watching the movie, skipping around in the book, and then reading the whole thing. But in terms of engageability, LotR is nothing compared to the Silmarillion. Love both, but the Silmarillion is not for those without a pretty tolerant mind.

•  
      CommentAuthorSMARTALIENQT

My dad made us listen to Sherlock Holmes in the car. Which was fine, but usually I skip parts I think are boring (I skipped all of Roran’s scenes in Eldest for this reason). With a tape, you can’t do that. And when they switched to these Mormons and how someone was mad and asking “WHERE ARE YOUR WIVES?“... I still don’t know how it ended.

• CommentAuthorDrAlligator

When I watch the movies, I skip all the Frodo/Sam/Gollum bits, because Aragorn killing things is far more interesting. In the books, though, I mostly read everything.

So I guess you just skip the climax, which is Sam’s shining moment while Aragorn gets stepped on by a troll?

Sam is truly awesome.

I think he’s the hero, not Frodo.

I’ve never read J.R.R. Tolkien (again, listening to someone drone on about the Hobbit is incredibly boring, especially at bedtime), but this is so cute:

Sam looked at him and wept in his heart, but no tears came to his dry and stinging eyes. “I said I’d carry him, if it broke my back,” he muttered, “and I will!”

AAAWWWWW!!!

Sam is so cute. I’d totally spring for a man like him. :D

Indeed!

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2009 edited

I just got my twelve year old brother to read the Hobbit a couple days ago, and now he’s onto Fellowship of the Ring. 8D FANTASY INDOCTRINATION IS UNDERWAY.

I have excellent taste. >;D

We had to read Antigone in class last year. I don’t get why everyone in ancient Greece had to be such a bastard. Although, on topic, Aeshylus’s plays bored me to tears. There were about two characters and a chorus, and it was basically just pages upon pages of exposition and whining. Nothing happened. Ever. The only one I liked was the Eumenides.

Me too, except it was last last year for me now. o_o My class was so bloody boring. Innuendo everywhere and no one got it. Even the bit where Haemon is being told by Creon that he has “other fields to plow” and that Antigone wasn’t worth it, no one reacted. At all.

Gragh.

FANTASY INDOCTRINATION IS UNDERWAY.

I wish my little brother was as impressionable as yours.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2009

I wish my little brother was as impressionable as yours.

The thing is that I have basically all the books in the house, because I…live in them. I’m running out of space, though. ;_; Two double bookcases and a single and I still have to pile books under my desk. Hrmph. Anyway, since I have all the good books, I control what he reads, essentially. And I can judge his taste pretty well. So far he’s gone through Bartimaeus, Harry Potter, Three Musketeers, a bit of Narnia, Abhorsen, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea…I had him started on Scarlet Pimpernel except that he abandoned that for The Hobbit. Muahahahahaha.

I feel like I’m fulfilling my duty as an older sister. :3

Oh my god! It took me ages to convince mine to read the Percy Jackson books, and he still hasn’t finished the series!

(Now he’s reverted back to Time Warp Trio books, which are approximately at the second grade level, and rereading Harry Potter for the bajillionth time. I simply cannot convince him to try anything new. headdesk)

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

Admittedly, it took a hell of a lot of badgering for me to get him to read Harry Potter. At least a year. Seriously. And then even more badgering for me to get him to read the Three Musketeers.

But then he did, and got obsessed, and now he trusts my book judgement. ;D cackles

Also he doesn’t know about HSM or Hannah Montana.

I’m proud of him.

Also he doesn’t know about HSM or Hannah Montana.

That’s surprising. It could even be called “amazing.”

I’m proud of him.

• CommentAuthorliadan14

...I have a very strange feeling right now that this sibling-indoctrination thing is what happened to me. Only that my parents were in on it too. Seriously, they read me Narnia when I was five, LoTR when I was six, HP when I was seven/eight, and then my sister started having me read Diana Wynne Jones and Tamora Pierce and Terry Pratchett…

I never could successfully indoctrinate my little brother. I tried to get him to read The Lord of the Rings, and he read the beginning before giving up. He enjoys Ray Bradbury, which gives him points, but he isn’t much of a book person.

As an only child, I’ve tried to indoctrinate some other members of my family to little success. Most of my cousins just find books to be boring, though at least one of them is unfortunately a Twilight fan. Tried to get my cousin’s niece to read Coraline and The Graveyard Book, but he just felt that the content was too dark. And, I’ve never really seen my dad ever a book. Still, my mom likes Harry Potter.

• CommentAuthorDamselfly
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2009 edited

I've always been the one being indoctrinated ;). My family has always been very encouraging of reading and I have a very literary minded older brother. He had me reading Tolkien in elementary school (which apparently isn't that rare on this board? I gotta say, I was not reading at age 4...5 maybe.) I've kind of hit a dry spell with books recently, although I loved most of the books we read in my last English class--Chronicle of a Death Foretold, Dorian Gray, Crime and Punishment, Wuthering Heights, you get the idea.

Most frustrating book I've ever read: anything by Dickens, but probably Tale of Two Cities or Hard Times.
    • CommentAuthorliadan14

Dickens. >.<

We had to read the kiddie version of David Copperfield in English class, and me being a Native Speaker I read the whole thing. It hit my wall several times. I then wrote a book review that contained something along the lines of, “In fact, the whole book can be summed up with, Everyone Loves David So Much It’s Painful, even though he has roughly the character of a damp rag”. I was about twelve. My teacher was actually really amused.

As someone once said on Third Rock from the Sun, “It was the best of times and it was the worst of times…why bother reading the whole book if he can’t make up his mind on the first page?”

I’ve been indoctrinated in terms of music, but in terms of books, I just kind of went with the flow. My brother’s lucky he can skip all the crap and come straight to me for recommendations.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2009

Even the bit where Haemon is being told by Creon that he has “other fields to plow” and that Antigone wasn’t worth it, no one reacted. At all.

Heh, innuendo usually flies straight over my head until everyone else starts snickering, but that one… yeah. Saw it first time.

On indoctrinating people… it’s always fun to do that! Of course, with some people, it’s difficult to break them away from hurk Twilight. But there are the few out there who you can quietly mold into proper readers… even if it’s something as small as convincing them to read Deathnote instead of watch Naruto.

• CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2010

Macbeth was probably my favorite of the tragedies. Hamlet was interesting when it finally got somewhere, it just took too long to get there. Same way about Great Expectations. The ending was good, but it didn't come fast enough. And I am an unashamed Tale of Two Cities fangirl. Because many times can be both the best and worst.
    As for frustrating books--I'd definitely say the Warriors: Power of Three were the most frustrating books I've ever read. The main characters find out they have powers, and they spend the rest of the six-book series trying to find out what to do with them. They make no progress on that goal at all. There's a standard 'parentage reveal', that all the fans predicted ages in advance, a dumb cat wanders around trying to convert everyone to atheism for no apparent reason, and all the characters except for the main ones are flat. And the main ones are just annoying. The little blind whiny cat that treats his half-blind mentor like crap and is an unashamed snoop, the bloodthirsty warrior and his romantic forbidden love affair that happens when he's the cat equivelant of TWELVE, and the strict rule-following sister who eventually goes crazy after the parentage reveal and tries to murder her own MOTHER. Argh.