Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpReAzw2PFM

I’ll bet you can’t wait to get your mits on this masterpiece, eh?

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2009 edited

“Claimed by some to be the world’s youngest novellist.”

And what is her obsession with the 800 page thing?

Claimed by herself, I bet.
    All the ‘good’ comments on her offical page sound the same: like they were written by her. How much you bet they are?

More????? :-( I weep.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2009

If she’s googled “Maradonia” she’ll probably have found them already – they’re the fourth and seventh search results down!

We should just do it anyway.

Or figure out how to get them to the top.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Do we know if she attends popular conventions and such?
    Pictures on her myspace account seem to imply that she does publicity events.

• CommentAuthorSlyShy

Oh, do you guys want them at the top? I could probably get it there, if you guys want. The same way I got Brisingr Review up. cough

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Hehehe, you should do that.

• CommentAuthorSlyShy

I’ve finished. It’ll take Google a while to update, but we should move up the rankings. Remember, the more places link to the Maradonia spork, the higher it gets placed.

•  
      CommentAuthorTheArmourer
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2009 edited

How do you do that?
    Oh, never mind.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

I finally had enough of her after she/troll vomited all over the AS lj.

http://community.livejournal.com/antishurtugal/344726.html

It’s a shame that someone took down the youtube video of her bitch slapping Cassie.

Whoever Cassie is.

• CommentAuthorSlyShy

I have a lot of internet history, so I’ve got a lot of websites that are for all intents and purposes dead, but I can still use them to screw with Google’s Pagerank algorithm.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Tsk, Sly! Heh.

bq.It’s a shame that someone took down the youtube video of her bitch slapping Cassie

What???:o

Hey I just recently briefly learnt about the whole screwing with Google's pagerank thingy at tafe. A lot of people create heaps of useless blogs on this bloggy website to get their rank up.
    • CommentAuthorSlyShy

Yeah. It’s not actually that effective unless the pages doing the spamming have high pagerank themselves, so it’s not super easy. Fortunately, a couple of my old sites do have decent pagerank.

• CommentAuthorSlyShy

Hey look it already took effect. We’re number one. What can I say? I’m just that good. xP

Good work, General Sly.

Excellent work.

•  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2009

Wasn’t Ophir a land in Robert E. Howard’s Hyborian Age?

Do you think this will be any better at all? I mean, she’s got to have improved a LITTLE bit, right?

We hope.

I wrote at that age, but I sure as hell didn’t think I was the best thing ever. I knew I needed practice. Why is it these kid authors think they’re above critique?

Why is it these kid authors think they’re above critique?

Because it’s easy to believe you’re hot shit when you have no frame of reference and you refuse to acquire one.

Because they are above critique. They likely never had their work criticized by their parents, and it is connected to the discipline issues of today. Spanking as a punishment can be considered child abuse. I was spanked when I was bad(when I was 5 or 6), and it taught me self-discipline, that I impose on myself. But people won’t slap down a snotty kid anymore since it might cause lasting Psychological damage. This has become an attitude that children can do no wrong, it’s all part of growing up. So when a kid (or teen) writes a book the flaws are glossed over and the accomplishment is focused on.

Disclaimer: This is my rambling and should not be substituted for your own critical thinking.

I was slapped once or twice when I was really obnoxious as a kid. I don’t really know what exactly my parents did to make me adopt the habits that I do now, but today I’m pretty low-maintenence, at least most of the time. They never grounded me or took away priveleges or anything when I did anything wrong- I’d be so miserable on my own they didn’t even need to punish me.

My point is that I don’t think slapping a child (not on the face, though) is abusive, but it’s not always effective either. Depends on the kid, most of the time.

I got the belt once and that was enough for me.

I think too many parents don’t care enough about their children to be the bad guy when it’s necessary.

•  
      CommentAuthorTheArmourer
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2009 edited

In Starship Troopers Robert A Heinlein suggested that physical pain is the most effective punishment because pain is our body letting us know when something threatens our survival. So then one would associate certian behavior with a threat to our well being, and it would be extended to the larger group.
    EDIT: If that makes no sense its because I’m tired.

Sly, I have no idea how you did that, but bravo!
    It took her less than a year to write it… I can’t quite decide if this is a good thing or a bad thing… I’m leaning towards the latter though.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

Ugh.

I can’t articulate how distateful this person and her work is to me.

Notice how all the real books have price stickers, except for Maradonia? That’s because Tesch cleared a shelf and shoved her books on for that photo. In my eyes, that’s called false advertising. Your books are NOT avaiable in that book store, Ms. Tesch, and it is deceitful of you to imply otherwise.

Grr.

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus

I love the comments on that video.

Maridoniabook:
    Although Nancy Li Fans novel Swordbird was published when she was 13 years old, Swordbird contains in her book only about 150 pages or so. Yes, she was younger than Gloria Tesch when she completed her short story, but she did not defeat the battle of the pages to officially make a novel.

Ok, I want to know how someone unable to write a coherent youtube comment can claim to be a novelist? “Defeat the battle of the pages”? What the hell does that even mean? Besides, any story can be 800 pages long with double spacing, wide margins, small pages, and a sufficiently large type-face. That’s why professionals talk about word count rather than page count or chapter count.

And it’s Nancy Yi Fan.

Nancy Yi Fan’s book sucked, but she pwns Glotia. At least she was grammatical.

And my parents used to spank me. I turned out ok!

And my parents used to spank me. I turned out ok!

Same here.

• CommentAuthorSlyShy

Yeah, corporeal punishment in moderation seems to produce kids who aren’t brats.

Defeat the battle of the pages.

Defeat the battle of the pages.

Defeat the battle of the pages?

DEFEAT THE BATTLE OF THE PAGES

headdesk

“Defeat the Battle of the Pages”

lol. All I can imagine is giant books chasing Glotia around.

Notice how all the real books have price stickers, except for Maradonia? That’s because Tesch cleared a shelf and shoved her books on for that photo. In my eyes, that’s called false advertising. Your books are NOT avaiable in that book store, Ms. Tesch, and it is deceitful of you to imply otherwise

From that picture it’s obvious that while Ms Tesch might have many uh… ‘merits’, writing isn’t one of them.

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus

Tisk Tisk Nate. You know she’s always going to say that she’s fifteen.

Tisk Tisk Nate. You know she’s always going to say that she’s fifteen.

I’m just saying. I may admit that the Mona Lisa is a great work of art but that doesn’t mean I’m going to steal it from the museum.

Anyone else find it appropriate that Meyer’s Host is right below?

• CommentAuthorliadan14

To be fair, the Host isn’t as hideously abominable as Twilight.

I’m not entirely sure any book really deserves to be on that photograph.

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark

YOU’RE ALL JUST JEALOUS.

(seriously though, it’s interesting how the author of Swordbird is mentioned in the comments just so that the title of YOUNGEST AUTHOR EVER isn’t disputed. it might not even have been a real commenter, just someone to announce this fact to the world)

To be fair, the Host isn’t as hideously abominable as Twilight.

This is true.

also: The song at the beginning of the video is She Wolf by Shakira. Knowing that as fast as I did made me slightly embarrassed.

Notice how all the real books have price stickers, except for Maradonia? That’s because Tesch cleared a shelf and shoved her books on for that photo. In my eyes, that’s called false advertising. Your books are NOT avaiable in that book store, Ms. Tesch, and it is deceitful of you to imply otherwise.

How do you know???

Also, check out this “review”:

“I purchased Gloria’s book, “Maradonia and the Seven Bridges” as a present for my grandchildren. I read the book by myself and I have two things to say: After reading it, I felt ‘Younger’ again and I should have read this kind of literature earlier.” – Gladys T. (94) –

See the ‘Younger’ in the second sentence, using the signature ‘quotes’? And if you go through all the names, they are all Name X, like Sally B. or Drew L. Even her “publisher” is referred to as “Leah D”(no period).

• CommentAuthorliadan14

Hah. I just noticed that Brisingr, Eclipse and Breaking Dawn are all on that photo. Very slow today. But now I’m amused.

Has anyone ever told her book length is generally done in words, not pages?

Also, apparently “Leah D” exists, but is a highly questionable person. There’s a quote on the Maradonia LJ where “Leah D” gushes about her favorite scene in book two…

Has anyone ever told her book length is generally done in words, not pages?

Don’t tell her. It’s far more hilarious to hear her crow about it using such a transparently amateur metric.

• CommentAuthorliadan14

Her myspace tells me each book has 300.000 words, and most “commercial novels” have 90.000- 100.000. Before that, everything is a novella. Apparently, Size Matters.

Her myspace tells me each book has 300.000 words

It won’t matter if all 300,000 words are crap.

• CommentAuthorliadan14

>“I wonder what kind of literature this 14 year old author will produce in the coming years.”
    >Gloria answered and said, “I don’t know what will happen in the coming years, but I work every day… very, very hard, often late in the night, and I will certainly complete in the coming >months (November 2009) my third 800 page novel:
    >“Maradonia and the Battle for the Key.”

(I can’t figure out the quotey thing…)

Grammar fail, y/n?

Cripes. Because you know. What is quality when you’re the Youngest Author Ever?

the Battle for the Key

ಠ_ಠ

• CommentAuthorliadan14

I take the most offense at “Gloria answered and said”.

Not only is it redundant, it also makes perfectly clear that she wrote it herself.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

From that picture it’s obvious that while Ms Tesch might have many uh… ‘merits’, writing isn’t one of them.

It’s called padding.

It’s called padding.

Otherwise known as—never mind, I won’t say it. I’d feel dirty.

Apparently Maradonia doesn’t have a Wikipedia page. I’m surprised.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

It used to- but was deleted. And look! Madame Gloatia herself made an appearance in the discussion, calling herself—get this—“Wikiapedia (fact finder)”. She couldn’t even spell Wikipedia correctly!

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Facepalm

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus

I laughed

Isn’t there some sort of law or rule that says you can’t impersonate an admin or another member of the site?

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus

I imagine it’s frowned upon, yes.

“Gloria answered and said,”

Holy fuckballs, she’s Jesus!

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2009

A little bit of silliness:

Yes, folks. An extinct prehistoric sloth is 49 times more popular than Maradonia.

XDD

Not suprising, really, but satisfying.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2009 edited

Sorry for the doublepost.

@ SmartAlienQT: How do you know???

Okay, so I don't know is as a fact, but I'm fairly certain of it: (a) the Maradonia books don't have price stickers while all the others have; (b) the store in question does not list Maradonia in its online inventory, and (c) Maradonia has not been numbers 1, 2 and 3 in any Bestseller list, ever. From these fact, it's fariyl simple to surmise that Tesch has placed the books there, probably without the store manager's permission or knowledge (because who would let someone mess up the carefully ordered/stocked shelves for a misleading promotional photo of their shitty self-published book?

This, in my eyes, is worse than Stanek's photoshop job, because Tesch actively and physically ruined someone's hard work, and I'm betting she didn't put the shelf back to the way it was before her interference. Meaning more work for someone to make sure the slef is back in order and then possibly having to check to see if any other shelves had been messed with.
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus

To be fair, gigantic prehistoric sloths are pretty cool.

To explain, a “zob” is a worthless person.

• CommentAuthorUn-Dante'd

Gloria Tesch seems to be a bitch.

She reminds me of the cheerleaders at my school. She has that blonde/tan/smirk combo.

And that bit about being completely contrived. Can’t forget that.

We win:

Bad. Ass.

• CommentAuthorSlyShy

I’m very tempted to attempt to end her current writing career. After working hard to learn to write, I’d be more than happy for her to be a successful novelist. But her underhanded tactics just make me cry for humanity. Therefore, I think we should pretty thoroughly obliterate her.

Here come the sporkings.
    I’ll post them on my Facebook and Nexopia.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Eat that, Gloatia! Whoo for II!

Also, on that pic… I took a closer look at it, and if you look closely, the books behind her books appear to be completely different (the spine looks different). Also, there’s the Bestseller and the sticker issue. So yeah, I’d say her books were never actually in that store. (what store is that, btw? A Borders?)

• CommentAuthorSlyShy

It’s too bad Ari disappeared, since she started the sporkings. I don’t know if anyone else has a copy of the books. :/

Yes, obliterate! Bring out the Holy Hand Grenade!

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

And I looked, but can’t find a copy on Scribd, E-snips, or any torrent trackers, so no luck with getting it for free…

First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin, then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceedest on to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

ONE! TWO! FIVE!

Three, sir!

THREE!

Ka-Boom!
    You can buy replicas online.

Oh dear lord, look at this one:

• CommentAuthorSlyShy

Uhuh, real convincing, putting your book in the library like that.

You know what? Say what you will about Paolini, but at least he was a better promoter than this girl.

Um, it doesn’t even have the label the other books on that shelf have (I’m talking about Inspector Karamazov’s picture).

Hmmm. Anybody wish to steal the Crown Jewels with me?

If you look closely, it’s on the Wesern shelf. XD
    lolz.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Hahaha, nice.

Too bad she doesn’t have a forum to flame. Does anybody have an e-mail adress?

I think we should request her to come to one of our towns and all of us get in a line.
    Then.
    We pounce on her and throw her in a sack, Borat style.

I think she should come to one of our towns. Then all of us get on confrence call and yell at her.

The yelling can happen after we kidnap her.
    But, she may just write about it afterwards…
    Meradonia and the Kidnapping of a Goddess.
    Barf

lol.

we should write our own Maradonia book! and then email it to her!

It isn’t just in the Western section, it’s also put in after books by “Estleman.”

ALPHABETICAL ORDER DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

She has a Myspace and a Youtube, if you want to flame that… also, I think you can comment on her terribly-made site.

Read the excerpt
    I did a much better job on creating a webpage in grade four than whoever did for Glotia.

Maybe I’m just more laid back than y’all, but it doesn’t seem worth it to go out of out of our collective way to flame her. She certainly seems like an insufferably arrogant bonehead, but anybody in favor of escalation has already read her ‘book.’ It shouldn’t take more than two sentences before it’s obvious she has no chance of being published legitimately or gaining any shred of popularity. It just won’t happen.

I mean, crushing her ‘literary’ ‘aspirations’ would be nice, but it’d really only be euthanasia.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

GAHHH, my eyes, they burn!

Oh well, on to the sporking, because it’s fun.

It was a difficult situation but the men in the camp stood closely together as one strong force and were ready to fight for their freedom and for their commanders Joey, Maya and Captain Goran.

Punctuation, sweetie. It is your friend. Use it wisely.

“It is wonderful to see when the people in this camp believe in their leaders and commanders but it is more wonderful when the leaders believe in their people,” said Joey and continued, “maybe the time will come or has already come that we as leaders of this camp will pay a price to carry out our calling!”

Punctuation rape! Quotation rape! Exclamation point rape!

“Bravo, Bravo, Bravissimo…” interrupted Gertrude, “most people think that we are the bad ones but basically we bring peace to the world. My two friends and I have agreed to make you an offer which you cannot reject.”

*Why do I have a sudden desire to start singing Phantom of the Opera? Also, like, basically, we’re, like, totally awesome. And stuff. And like yeah. Oh, and since when have evil powers of darkness had “friends”?! More like… acquaintances they haven’t killed yet.

“And what is this diabolical offer?” asked Maya standing between Joey and General Goran. “This is not a diabolic offer. It is an honest offer because we are ready, willing, able and we have also agreed that we will let your men go free.

[sings] “He’s ready, he’s willing, he’s able to save you…” Also, ready, willing, and able to do what? Finish the sentence!

They are all free to go home and they can take all their belongings and possessions with them and go back to their families.”

Why the random paragraph break in the middle of a piece of dialogue?

“You will let them go home?” Goran asked. “Yes, they can go home… all of them. They do not have to fight our army of over ten thousand men which has your camp surrounded.” The army of ten thousand also cheered when they heard that they had not to fight. “Under one condition, of course, will we let them go free…

The condition is that Maya and Joey give their lives freely as human sacrifices in honor of our lord Abbadon the son of the great Apollyon.”

...I thought this was the offer they “could not refuse”. Yeahhhh… riiiiight…

Also, FAIL on the Bible references. Abaddon (which she spelled incorrectly) and Apollyon are both names of Satan, not two separate people.

@Sansa – yeah, I’m not a huge fan of flaming. Flaming is stupid. Sporking is a fun way to let off steam. She’s never going to be big unless she improves massively, so what do we have to worry about?

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Standing back and seeing her books fizzle into nothingness by themselves seems like a fitting end, really. Books that aren't memorable in any way excpet for their awfulness generally don't make it far, I don't think.

Well, sporking and general mockery is fine, since we can all laugh and amuse ourselves with it, but going to her myspace and such just seems like more effort than somebody like her is worth, IMO. That said, if you really feel compelled to do so anyway, go for it. I just don’t think you can reach a person as willfully insulated from reality as she is.

This is my message via YouTube to her.

I would have to say that there’s nothing positive about this book. I’ve only read the excerpt and the reviews on Amazon.com, and I have to say that I don’t have to make fun of you, Ms. Tesch, you do it to yourself.
    Awful, awful.
    Let’s start on the website: – Do you honestly need to post your mug at the top of every page? – Do you honestly need to have it laid in such an ugly, inefficient and hard-to-read way? – Try and not post “The youngest published author!” “I have over 800 pages in my book!” “I am a contrived person and a horrible writer to boot!” all over. Psst: it ill becomes you.
    The excerpt: – “Situation: Maya and Joey are given a choice… a very hard choice…” Seriously. Blargharghargblhargh. Sorry. That was me barfing at the sheer sickening-factor. You make that seem so suspenseful, when in actuality, it’s quite lame. – When do you have an out-manned army stand together as one force? On a bridge? There’s nowhere to defend yourself. Kudos, you have no idea how war works. – You do NOT share command. Ever. – Leaders AND commanders? Aren’t they the same thing? – The characters are HIDEOUSLY put together. What battle-hardened warrior says “wonderful”? – THEY’RE going to pay the price, as leaders? Just maybe? Oh, come on. Blargharghlablargh. – “Bravo, Bravo, Bravissimo”? Honestly. My goodness. “Bravo” isn’t a name. And why bring in a different language? – Gertrude (lame name, by the way) is all like “Hey, I may be a bad guy but we bring peace to the world. You cannot refuse our offer! Mwahahahahaha!” – Maya shows disrespect to someone who commands a (somewhat small army, when in perspective of the US Army) of 10,000, against her army of 300 (Hmmm, where have I heard THIS scenario before?) and could destroy her with one fell swipe, obliterating Maya and her cause. My goodness. – “This is not a diabolic offer. It is an honest offer because we are ready, willing, able and we have also agreed that we will let your men go free. They are all free to go home and they can take all their belongings and possessions with them and go back to their families.” Diabolic, eh? Can’t find a synonym? Didn’t have a problem with “ready”, now did we? And is that last sentence REALLY necessary? – Not fight a puny army of 300? 80 percent of the bad ‘uns wouldn’t have to fight, they’d just sit around the campfire and drink mead. Which, by the way, isn’t just a special beer. – Abaddon? Oh my. That’s PATHETIC. You couldn’t even come up with some sort of name on your own? Hell, Dabando is much better AND original.

Other stuff:
    Your work is NOT totally original. Landmass surrounded by sea. Bad guy-character named Abaddon. Appolyon: the ANTI-LIGHT vs. Apollo, the god of the sun. You rely on your FATHER for the research. I guess you can’t use the internet machine on your own, eh, Glotia?

Oh, and HOW DARE one of your reviewers put you and SMeyer in the same sentence as Stephen King and J.K. Rowling without the words “is completely pwned by” separating them?

Substance. Hah.
    Complexity. About as complex as “Round peg, round hole.”
    Imagination. I think I covered this.
    Untapped talent. It’s not untapped if it’s published, no?
    I think we should add in contrived, portentous, awful, horrendous, and just downright boneheaded.

• CommentAuthorSlyShy

Honestly, I don’t think there’s anything we can really do… except fill up the other nine positions on a Google search for Maradonia. XD

• CommentTimeAug 31st 2009

Could be fun. :)

Personally, I don’t think we get anything useful done by mercilessly flaming her MySpace. It’s ok to spork, but there’s a limit.