Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorWiseWillow
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2009

Well, I have found something strange. I’m not sure whether to applaud, cringe, or just sigh in amazement and disgust.

I have found a blog whose entire focus is reading the books Bella mentions.

I was affronted to discover Bella mentions Anne of Green Gables, one of my favorite books. How dare she mention such a good book? She isn’t worthy of reading it! Damn you, Bella!

On the one hand, this blogger is now reading good literature. On the other hand…

Sighs

Seriously, if it gets people to read books, like Anne of Green Gables, that I really love, it’s not completely bad. I mean, granted, it’s annoying to have people running and squealing, “But Gilbert isn’t nearly as hot as Edward!” (on these people, the quality is completely lost, I suppose), but if it gets people to grow out of fads like Twilight and into better literature, then it’s not so awful.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

What are you talking about?! Gilbert kicks Edward’s ass in everything that’s important.

I’ve never read it, but I don’t know how you can take a character named Gilbert seriously.

Because. He is Gilbert Blythe, and he is made of awesome!

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Well he starts out as a super annoying teenager, but don’t we all?

He isn’t that annoying! I loved the carrots thing, then his attempt to make amends- come on, the little candy heart? And then their fierce rivalry and such. It’s adorable.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I’d take endearing over suave any day. :P

Exactly. You, my dear, have your head screwed on straight.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Why, thank you. So do you. XD

But his name is Gilbert. Gilbert!

I love Gilbert. Look at this cutie!

See, he’s even more romantic than Edward.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2009 edited

I know too many people with weird/fugly names to be bothered by it any more. :D

EDIT: And the early version of lil’ Gilbert looks hilarious. He was so much more swoony when he got older. :D

Gilbert isn’t that weird or fugly.

I know too many people with weird/fugly names to be bothered by it any more. :D

It’s not that it’s weird or fugly. It just sounds prissy for a leading man.

Who CARES?

The name Edward is awesome, I would have been named Edward if I had been a boy. Yet Edward sucks. Completely.

Sidenote: My dad was going to nickname me Ward. Oi.

It takes place in the 1900s. It’s not supposed to be up-to-date. That’s like saying “Romeo” is old-fashioned. Yeah duh it’s old fashioned, but it doesn’t make it bad.

Sadly, I really like the name Edward too – _ –

Too bad it’s RUINED FOREVER

DAMN YOU STEPHANIE MEYER!

Why couldn’t she name him Victor or something?

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Hah, speaking of names that have been tainted, my brother named his daughter (born last December) Isabel without realising why the name had suddenly gained so much popularity.

I was planning on putting the name Edward on my list of potential baby names, after a relative. Now I can never do that. :(

Yeah, my niece is two (almost three) and her name is Ella. I used to love it, now it occasionally makes me cringe.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Not that I mind the name Isabel, it was just a pretty funny coincidence.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

I thought Edward was a decent name, and Isabella was gorgeous… until Twilight had to come along and ruin those names for me. I could have seen myself naming a daughter Isabella, and using Edward as a middle name – as in James Edward. But yeah. Not anymore.

Thanks, Twilight.

My cousin has a daughter named Isabel :/ She’s like 9 or 10 I think. I feel bad for her.

The lead in one of my short stories last semester was named Edward, but he was never actually referred to as such at any point, so that doesn’t count, right?

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2009

I still associate the name Edward with Edward VI, who was a bit of a prat but not utterly terrible. And Edward in Sense and Sensibility, who now looks like Hugh Grant in my head and that is good. But mostly Edward VI.

So there. Bitch, please.

And I loved Gilbert. 8D

Me too!

I just used the Gilbert thing as an example.

I associate it with Ed Elric :x

/animenerd

I associate it with my relatives. And also Hugh Grant.

I always associated Edward with almost nothing. Now all I can think of is sparkle sparkle DIE VAMPIRE DIE!

I like the name Edward. Inevitably, whenever I hear it now, I’ll think of creepy vampire stalkers. But yeah, it’s a nice enough name. Can’t blame the Edwards of the world for it.

I associate it with Ed, Edd, n Eddy.

Oh, God, not Ed, Edd, n Eddy!

I associate it with Ed Elric :x

I also associate it with him.

Oh, God, not Ed, Edd, n Eddy!

I agree.

I associate it with Edward Elric and Victorian men sophisticated people.

• CommentAuthorliadan14

I think “Lestrange” when I hear Bella. And “John Lackland’s wife” when I hear Isabella. which is some comfort, given that I like both names despite all.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

I used to like the name Renesme until Twilight ruined it.

When I hear Bella, I think of Atropa belladonna, a plant also known as Deadly Nightshade, one of the most toxic plants known to man. It was so popular as a poison in early times, for warfare, jealous lovers and and political assassinations, that its modern name actually comes from the Italian phrase, “do not betray a beautiful woman (or she’ll poison your wine)”.

Ok, that gives me another reason to love Bellatrix Lestrange. Not only does her name mean female warrior, but abbreviate it and voom! Poison! :D

A blog devoted to reading Bella’s favorite books. Wow, some people really don’t have lives.

Because. He is Gilbert Blythe, and he is made of awesome!

Yes. Yes he is.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Twilight didn’t ruin the name Alice for me, in my opinion it sort of improved it….

(Although I haven’t read Eclipse or Breaking Dawn yet.)

I do love Alice. I wish she had permanently ditched the Cullens though :(

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Ditto.^^

I love the name Alice. ^ _ ^

I like it now. Before I only thought of it like Alice in Wonderland, which scared me.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Yeah, Twilight ruined (completely ruined) Sense and Sensibility for me. Every time Edward was around, all I could think of was Twilight Edward… and it made me want to puke.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

I also love the name Alice.
    Not in connection to any fictional characters, it just sounds nice.

Alice and Alicia are both nice names.

[winks at swenson]

I want to name my kid Angela now. It’s such a nice name, but it’s also a good character in the series.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Oooh, Alicia. Wonderful.
    I want a child now.

So do I!

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Although we should probably both wait until we’re old enough to look after it properly.

@SMARTALIENQT

There’s also the small matter of Angela the witch.

Ok Moldorm, Alien

Other than just stepping up as OTP, you two better watch it now before we get the FBI called in here.

• CommentTimeAug 26th 2009 edited

Yeah, I want babies almost every time I see my niece and nephews…they’re so cute :)

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Surely if the FBI were ever going to come they’d already be here?

Yeah, seeing our shipping thread if nothing else….

Surely if the FBI were ever going to come they’d already be here?

They might be. I just don’t want to encourage them to go from covert action to overt action.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Hey…

If you mentioned the FBI...and you can confirm that they’re here…operatingly covertly…and you’re suspiciously older than most of the userbase…and it would be cool and funny…

YOU’RE AN FBI MEMBER!!!!!!

Deflecting suspicion from yourself by accusing the most obvious target?

How very… spy-ish of you Moldorm.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Coincidentally, that very thing was said (OK, the phrasing was different) to me this very day by my driving instructor.

However, I see that you recognise the principles of standard espionage, piling further suspicion onto an already insurmountable mountain of evidence to inplicate yourself…

Of course because the obvious suspect can’t be a red herring designed to draw your attention to truth, MOLDORM. Egads man, it’s like you’ve never read a work of fiction in your life.

What’s next? Accusations that we’re secretly law enforcement partners and I’m playing the over angle to cover you and help ingratiate yourself into the community?

What foolishness.

Truly outrageous. The FBI agent could never be one of the ten or so people online yet not posting….

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

No, that would be ridiculous.

And real life doesn’t work like fiction!

I look for this topic to suddenly get a lot more posts.

Animal Farm is on the list? Bella’s not allowed to read that, it’s one of my favorite books!!!

None of the stupid Twilightards could possibly enjoy that. I can see them now.

“Omg talking piggies are so cute!1!”

I love the name Alice too, and I love Ariel, Athena…I like A names, apparently.

I actually like the names Smeyer picked. Alice, Edward, Rosalie? Emmett is somewhat neutral, but those first three names are divine cool.

Argh, I’m being possessed by Smeyer to write nice things about Twilight characters!

“No, Windmere,” the radio crackled. “You ARE the Smeyers.”

radio crackled

That brings back fond memories of Silent Hill 2.

“You ARE the Smeyers.”

“That isn’t possible!” I say. “I mean, Smeyer is like forty years older than me—or thirty or something.”

And then Windmere was a badauthor.

THE END

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Guys, Emmett is such a badass name.

My brother’s middle name is Emmett. He isn’t very badass, but by all accounts the Emmett he was named after was.

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark

Why couldn’t she name him Victor or something?

That would force me to throw out the name I have for my male vampire lead. D:

I do like the names in Twilight though, Edward is still awesome despite the sparkly connotations it has now.

I wonder if she specifically chose the names she did just so people would like them. I mean, “Carlisle” sounds so much cooler than “Buxtehude.”

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2009

I mean, “Carlisle” sounds so much cooler

JUST SO YOU KNOW, but, to me, that’s like naming your daughter Bristol.

• CommentAuthorliadan14
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2009

Carlisle is kind of funny. I know people who can’t pronounce it and always say “Kar-lizzel”.

Also, random quote, “If it had been a boy, she would have named it Charlisle”.

Charlisle. Reneesme. Do people have no imagination?

“If it had been a boy, she would have named it Charlisle”.

Where’d that come from? She was going to name it Edward Jacob Cullen, or EJ. Personally, I think “Carlie” is a much more common name than “Renesme”, so I forsee a rebellious teenager who goes by her middle name.

Who wouldn’t? I mean, there’s a certain advantage when no one else in your class has your name. Believe me, I know. But Renesmee is just a stupid sounding name.

Then again, names are kind of important to me, never mind what Shakespeare said on the matter.

Renesmee sounds like a name that a lame fantasy writer give to the odd-eyed, orphan, magically gifted Mary Sue main character.

Which is not too far off from where Remesmee is standing.

I mean, there’s a certain advantage when no one else in your class has your name. Believe me, I know.

I know, too. But sometimes it just gets… frustrating.

But sometimes it just gets… frustrating.

Indeed. My name is fairly uncommon.

Indeed. My name is fairly uncommon.

HA!

I disagree.

Stephenie? What do … what?

WUT

What do you mean? Do you even know my first name?

I said “Stephenie” because you suggested I was Stephenie Meyer in another thread.

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2009 edited

The Facebook group said “James T. Kirk,” which isn’t that strange.

I only called you SMeyer in the other thread to make a Doom: Repercussions of Evil reference.

Oh. The reference flew over my head.

“You must fight the demons!”
    Joson turned off his radio being a cernel was hard work. He hoped John could plasma the demons before they took over the base. If only he had listen to John before this would never have happened.
    He heard yelling and shooting in the base. That must be John, he thought.
    The base shook and the ceiling fell. he saw that John was trapped
    “No! I must kill the demons” John shouted
    “Well if he is going to die then i should him the secret his dad has” Cernel Joson thought. he turned on the radio
    “No, John. You are the demons”

DL with the assist.

I hope someday to write something that badass.

Was colonel intentionally misspelled?

• CommentAuthorUn-Dante'd
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2009

I hope not. It’s one of those words that once you know the spelling of it, it never goes away.

Unless they mean that Joson is corn or something.

I know this was a while ago, but…

And the early version of lil’ Gilbert looks hilarious. He was so much more swoony when he got older. :D

Spanny, let me let you in on a secret…

Cernel Joson is such a bastard. He should’ve listened to John Stalvern’s warnings, but now it is too late.

Far too late for now, anyway.

•  
      CommentAuthorEbelean
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2009

I actually looked a little at the blog, and while it seems like the blogger likes Twilight she wrote that now that she's read the classics, she's going make her children read them. Hey, if it spreads good literature, it can't be that bad......Right?
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2009 edited

WRONG.

• CommentTimeOct 26th 2009

Charlisle. Reneesme. Do people have no imagination?

I think it’s a case of way too much imagination, if anything… yeeps.

•  
      CommentAuthorEbelean
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2009 edited

It’s not imagination, it’s getting bored and not bothering to think of names. No, combining names to “create” a new one does not count.

I’ve heard that the name combination is a Mormon thing.

^^Well that would make sense then.