Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

As requested by sansafro187, here is the Username Thread, where we reveal the origins of our usernames. Mine is my name… but from the future. You had to be there. Where did you find the inspiration for your username?

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2009

I used Elanor when I first joined ASF, which was smack in the middle of my LotR craze. So guess where that came from.

Well done, sir. My username belonged to a fictional hobo in a story a friend of mine wrote in the fourth or fifth grade(which seemed pretty racist in retrospect, from what I can remember). I thought the name was funny and stole it. The 187 is a police numerical code for murder.

I’m quite curious to see others’ origins.

I like Neverwhere.

That’s about it.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Lol at Marquis.

Uh.. I liked Divine Comedy a lot when I joined, so ta da, Virgil.

I’m really really really really shy, and rarely ask people questions. So I wonder about things in my head, and am therefore Quietly Curious.

Ages ago in primary school a little trademark drawing of mine was a crappily drawn crab with only 4 legs with a smiley face that came to be known as happy crab. Because it's a crab that's happy. Happy regardless of the circumstances. Unconditionally happy. My friends and I drew it on anything whenever we had a writing device. Kind of lame really.

So yeah I began to use it for usernames like my xbox live account, and if I ever have any sort of company (not likely) it will be called happy crab and the logo of course will be the crappily drawn little crab who's happy.

Another username I use a lot if Jesus Enthusiast. I'm not religious at all, I just think Jesus is a really cool person. Well in real life he probably wasn't, but he's always so kickass in cartoons and stuff. I am sort of in a religion I made up called Jesusism where I began to create my own "true" history of Jesus' life.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

Diamonte is a corruption of the Spanish word diamante which means diamond. My horse's show name is Sequins and Diamonds, so somehow I made the connection. *shrug* To be entirely honest, I don't know exactly how I stumbled upon it. I just thought it sounded cool.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2009 edited

My username is my first name combined with the initial of my surname. Sorry it’s not too creative. Maybe I should change it.

As I said somewhere before, the first letters of my username are my initials. “Windmere” refers to Lady Windmere of Oscar Wilde’s brilliant play, “Lady Windmere’s Fan.”

•  
      CommentAuthorAdamPottle

Mine's, uh. Yeah.

sansafro187: hobo murderer?

sansafro187: hobo murderer?

Hobo who murders.

Also, the slightly nerdier alternative explanation would be that when I first needed to attach numbers to the name, I was playing lots of Magic: The Gathering and creatures with kill abilities were referred to using that number.

When I first joined DEM, I used a nickname called Butterfly Soldier. I just thought that name was cool; and I’ve been stuck with it ever since.

An email penpal of mine and I made up crazy nicknames to use: this one was an adjective that usually applies to me, my origins, and the “QT” part actually came from a list of “never let your kids use this as a username” things. I had a really long list of names, and this was the first of many. I started using it when I was an anonymous reviewer on FF.Net, and then it became my permanent username on there and everywhere else. I use my other names I made up with him on other sites.

• CommentAuthorAvocado

I like avocados.

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow

I like Willow trees and alliteration. So…

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2009 edited

My username is my male main character’s name in my current novel-format WIP. In his language, it means “a dog who is gathered”, or something like that. It’s difficult to translate directly into English. “dog person-who-is-a-gathering/collection”, maybe. Anyway. Actually, historically it would have been “Gifiana” which has the more sensical meaning of “person who gathers”, but the -a was dropped somewhere along the line.

ahem.

Awesome.

I’m going to sound like a freakazoid for saying this, but Snow White Queen is actually an Evanescence song.

About a stalker.

o.O

I don’t really know why I chose it for a username…it was my NaNoWriMo account, so I thought it might be good to keep things consistent. Why I chose it for my NaNo…I really don’t know. Maybe the song was stuck in my head or something at the time. I do remember that I wanted something feminine, so I wouldn’t have a Spanman-like gender confusion.

No, I am not a stalker. You can come out now.

That’s what you’d say if you wanted us to drop our guard.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2009

It’s my name.

Booyah.

• CommentAuthorLord Snow

I imagine most of you will know where my name comes from. For those who don’t, it’s a character from A Song of Ice and Fire.

A character’s derogatory nickname, you mean.

• CommentAuthorliadan14

Pretty sure mine's already been cleared up in the other thread, but Liadan's from Juliet Marillier, and 14 was the age I was when I first used this username, which was a while ago. It's my LJ penname. I try not to come up with too many new ones, I just get confused then.
    • CommentAuthorGolcondio

Once when I needed to name a character in a video game I wanted something that sounded ludicrous, and I was obsessed by Magritte’s paintings… and so Golcondio it was, and then I started using it on forums and stuff…

I was Steph the Phantasmagorical on the original site (because I always wanted to have a nickname with ‘the’ in it, and nobody ever gave me one. So I, being the go-getter that I am, gave myself one). Then the current forums were instigated (please tell me I used that word properly), and the name ‘Steph the Phantasmagorical’ was, apparently, too long for that little box-thingy. So I became ‘Steph (what is left)’, and various permutations of ‘Steph future bride of Murtagh’ on the main site.

Truly, how fascinating.

• CommentAuthorWitrin

I can’t compete with the last poster for interest and humour, so I’ll just say that Witrin is the anglicised version of Wydyr from Caer Wydyr Merlin’s House of Glass.
    So, my nickname means ‘glass’.*

*Maya-inspire

Guess.

• CommentAuthorWitrin

Either you’re a Lover of Romantic Vampires, or a Romantic Lover of Vampires, or a person with a name they made up on the spot.

Err… I think the first one was closest.

You used to like Twilight, didn’t you?

For about a day, that is, before I read it, but my username’s not referring to Edward.

That was my second guess…

<<

>>

What EDWARD?! Wow. Ouch, that hurt.

• CommentAuthorFenix

A just punishment for being so secretive :-P.

True, true… Alright, fine I’ll spill. (it’s really not that great)

RomanticVampireLover = a lover of ROMANTIC (as in OLD, as in DRACULA) vampires. There you are, that is my username.

• CommentAuthorWitrin

Hah. Coincidence of coincidences, I’ve just started reading Dracula.

I have yet to read it; are you enjoying it?

• CommentAuthorWitrin

Very much so.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

My name’s a shortened version of the_spanishbatman, which was an old username of mine referring to Zorro, who I had a huge crush on (guys Antonio Banderas was so smokin’ hot when I was thirteen).

Anyway, someone else shortened it for me because, I suspect, they thought it was a pretty stupid name. Go figure.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

I like Zelda, Link’s Awakening was my first non-Pokemon Nintendo game, and I like the first boss the most. Mainly because of the pit, the Feather, the Cello and the pre-battle quote (“BZZZT! BZZZZT! OUTZZZIDER!”).

(guys Antonio Banderas was so smokin’ hot when I was thirteen).

swoon He almost played the Phantom… and Zorro is freaking sexah, too…

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Three days? How many sins could you have committed in three days? Come back when you have more time, please.

Zorro! Zorro was here! I fought him and he left! He left!

Did you see his face?

No, but he was young and vigorous. (Ahem) He was very vigorous, father.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

lulz/swoon

Captain Love: The lady and I were trying to dance.
    Alejandro: You were trying. She was succeeding.

I like Zelda, Link’s Awakening was my first non-Pokemon Nintendo game, and I like the first boss the most. Mainly because of the pit, the Feather, the Cello and the pre-battle quote (“BZZZT! BZZZZT! OUTZZZIDER!”).

Hellz yeah, that was the first Gameboy game I ever owned.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I like….Puppet’s.

>>

<<

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Lies!

•  
      CommentAuthorDem

Phantasma is just a name I use on small sites where all the cool names aren’t already taken.

I generally go by Dem, though. A) Because it’s short for Demetra, which is the name I used to use on small sites where all the cool names aren’t already taken, and for some reason people can’t spell ‘Demetra’ B) Because D is my favorite letter of the alphabet, and C) It starts a lot of very fun words. Demented. Demon. Demoralization. Very, very fun words. And it can be an acronym for some fun phrases, too!

I’ll probably change it.

A) Because it’s short for Demetra, which is the name I used to use on small sites where all the cool names aren’t already taken, and for some reason people can’t spell ‘Demetra’

For thou art The One Called Demetra, previously referenced here before I myself knew thou were watching.

@ Lord Snow: I ONLY just got the ASOIAF reference now. Hahaha. I’m a bit slow on the uptake when it comes to names.

My name’s Ali.

Ali?

Alligator?

Ali-gator?

Get it?

I’m the cleverest.

•  
      CommentAuthorSMARTALIENQT

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

DrA that’s cool.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I got “Puppet” from my writing, and I just decided to use it for my username.

• CommentAuthorDrAlligator

Fuck, can I not go anywhere without that song being sung to me?

I swear to God, I am sick and tired of you stupid girls who think serenading me with songs out of Aladdin is funny and smart.

It doesn’t help that there’s a rumour at school that I actually am a prince of some foreign land.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I actually am a prince of some foreign land.

I dunno.. I’d keep that one going. But definitely not Aladdin.. [snickers]

I swear to God, I am sick and tired of you stupid girls who think serenading me with songs out of Aladdin is funny and smart.

Sheez, calm down. shoulderpat

It doesn’t help that there’s a rumour at school that I actually am a prince of some foreign land.

Are you really that attractive?

But definitely not Aladdin…

For an animated character, Aladdin’s not bad-looking…

•  

So you look like this, Dr. Al?

Ok, disturbing.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

XD

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

That picture disturbs me greatly. Of course, Rule 34, how could I have forgotten?

I found it on this guy’s page:

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Its Dr.A!

“Dan Locke” is my real name, but with some of the letters hacked off.

This thread went in such a homoerotic direction.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Welcome to II. ;)

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow

Oi vey.

This thread went in such a homoerotic direction.

Will I make it worse when I say that the afore-mentioned guy said he used to have a crush on Aladdin?

However, I totally forgive him, because he linked me to this, which led me to THOMAS!

Have we mentioned before that I am a Thomas fangirl?

He was voiced by Christian Bale. Therefore he must have some degree of awesomeness, right?

But of course!

That picture is most certainly what I look like.

I spend 90% of my time semi-nude with a hand down my underwear. I spend the other 10% of my time semi-nude with a hand down my underwear, peaking into womens’ bedrooms.

•  
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2009 edited

Aren’t you adorable?

Oh, aren’t I just teh most adorabelest.

Sarcasm.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2009

.. but with a cause!

XD

•  
      CommentAuthorAdamPottle

How about no more Aladdin softcore, kay?

Would you prefer High School Musical softcore? (Cover your eyes – this really captures Troy and his girliness)

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

Oh god. That’s so WRONG.

• CommentAuthorGolcondio

He’s very cute. Did I mention I have a very developed feminine side? ;)

Hey, as much as I like HSM/aladdin softcore, shouldn’t we try to behave and post a teensy bit more in topic? Pretty Please?

•  

Well, to be fair, they’re supposed to look like Calvin Klein photoshoots…

Wait until I break out Phoebus from Huchback...

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

Staying on topic is impossible for us Impish people.

And thankfully that last picture isn’t showing up for me. I am happy.

Look again.

I love Les MIserables. I love The Brothers Karamazov.

I have a crush on Inspector Javert from Les Mis. I also have a crush on Dmiri Karamazov.

Do the math yourself.

Well, I saw the Marquis’ username, was getting tired of Rhaego (which I got from ASoIaF), and The Angel Islington has such a nice ring to it…I’ve been trying to recreate the cadence and sound of it and the best I can come up with (in my writing) is Huntington for an angel, and it’s not as good…

....anyway, short version is I like Neverwhere, and Islington should have won. (he had Vandermar and Croup for gosh sakes).

@DrAlligator

Don’t feel bad; I’m half Palestinian, and my mom bought me the Aladdin Special Edition as a joke gift. : /

You should edit out that spoiler there. :P

Also the Angel Islington is an actual place in London, so if you really want something similar to it, you should look at place names.

Don’t feel bad; I’m half Palestinian, and my mom bought me the Aladdin Special Edition as a joke gift. : /

Yeah, but that’s an awesome gift. Aladdin’s an awesome movie.

It’s being followed everywhere by the Prince Ali song – and not even the cool reprise by Jaffar – that’s just grating.

the cool reprise by Jaffar

Prince Ali, yes it is he
    But not as you know him
    Read my lips and come to grips with reality
    Yes, meet a blast from your past
    Whose lies were too good to last
    Say hello to your precious Prince Ali!

So Ali turns out to be merely Aladdin
    Just a con, need I go on?
    Take it from me
    His personality flaws
    Give me adequate cause
    To send him packing on a one-way trip
    So his prospects take a terminal dip
    His assets frozen, the venue chosen
    Is the ends of the earth – whoopee!
    So long, ex-Prince Ali!

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I’m not quite certain where my username came from. When I first started using it a few years back, I think I’d just finished The Sea of Trolls, so I was on a Norse kick. shrug Other than that, it just came to me… in a vision… in a dream… eyes go blank

What have you done with my thread? I start this up after being curious about people’s usernames, and look what you guys did. Aladdin? Really?

Sorry for bringing my Curse into your thread.

There is always one person who does this whenever I introduce myself.

Don’t feel bad about your thread. Pity me and mail me pity-cookies instead.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2009

I pity you, good doctor.

Your jar of pity-cookies is in the post.

Awesome. I hope they’re not stale by the time they arrive.

I used a username generator and got NeuroticPenguin. I thought that was good, but when I searched it, there was this YouTube video company thing that had it, so I searched “cool animals.” I got a list of a bunch from Austrailia. I saw Platypus and thought “Oh, those are cool; I pick that.”

I’m a supernatural fan who utilized his real first name.

Who’s shocked? (nobody that’s been reading my blog – that’s for sure)

You have a blog?

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2009 edited