Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2009

Mine would have to be the ancient Egyptian khopesh. I just think the design looks cool. I’m also fond of scimitars.

The story I’m writing probably wouldn’t exist if I didn’t like katanas. That being said, I’d prefer an odachi.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

My favourite sword right now is my 9-ring broadsword , but I’m hoping to get a dadao sometime in the future, once I have enough money.

I also really appreciate the chinese straight sword (jian).

Of course, being a faithful practitioner of wing chun, I only like the above swords for their beauty and design. Nothing compares to the bart jarm dao for functionality and efficiency.

• CommentAuthorUn-Dante'd

I like this falchion
    but I like cutlasses, gladiuses, rapiers, the flyssa, and the pistol sword.

For use, my favorite sword is a katana, as it is the weapon I have the most training in. When it comes to techniques, I like the jian best. Impractical, but undeniably beautiful. For the sword’s appearance, I like the viking-style swords, and I love old Indian weapons, the shamshir , the chakram (throwing disks with blades on the outside), and of course the supremely bad-ass katar.

Give me something that is useful for stabbing as well as slashing.

Katanas can totally be used for stabbing.

Now you’ve started my sword lust, ew, that sounds really wrong screw it, it all sounds wrong.

I’m going to browse sword sites again thanks to you guys. Stop making me want a katana, dang it!

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2009 edited

Katanas can totally be used for stabbing.

Stabbing efficiently, though?

I’m going to browse sword sites again thanks to you guys. Stop making me want a katana, dang it!

I’ve been so close to buying one so many times, if only to make it easier to write.

•  
      CommentAuthorZombie Devin

Stabbing efficiently, though?

That’s debatable. xD

To further elaborate why katanas are cool, iai is just too stylish. There’s something very Old West about attacking in the same motion with which you draw.

It works great if you’re fast enough. I’ve never met anyone who is.

I’ve very partial to the middle-eastern saifs and shamshirs. One day I’m going to own one of those ornate little daggers you can find at tourist spots and I’m going to use it as a butterknife.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I like sais and stilettos.

• CommentAuthorWlyWhy

Smallswords, jittes, stilettos, all good.

Ninjato.

Yes I have one. Yes it is functional. Yes I love it.

Might even show pictures of that.

Also, just swords? I have an axe and spear I’m fond of.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I have a wakizashi.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

@Nate: Oh yeah, axes are awesome too. I like the small hand-hatchets, myself. A pair of them can be deadly. Also, hammers, maces (mmm, flanged mace…) and many of the wierd pointy things used as weapons in China. awesome.

Rapiers and longswords.

I’ve always been fond of the good ol’ Longsword, but call me old fashioned.

I also like the Dao and Hooksabers….

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Smallsword.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Falchions ftw.

• CommentAuthorLord Snow

I own a Ninjato and a Calvary Saber. I’m not sure what kind of sword is my favorite though. Hook swords are pretty sweet.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac

My favorites are the khopesh and katana. Katana are just beautifully designed and nice to look at. I like the khopesh because not only is it also nice to look at, it was specifically designed to both slash and stab.

And the katar is supremely badass.

A double-edged Bastard Longsword, capable of being wielded with one or both hands, sharp enough for both slashing and piercing, with a stiff, sturdy blade ideal for fighting heavily armored opponents but still light enough for fighting against unarmored foes.

I don’t own any swords, but I am hoping that I can get around to knife-making.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

This would be an excellent time to jump in and show off the knife I made, wouldn’t it?

Teeheehee, I feel just like CP.

Nice. What metal did you use?

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Carrrrbon steeeel.

Edit: Ok, I give up, I know next to nothing, and it was a heavily tutored day. XD

I’m guessing tool-grade steel :)
    So you took a course, then?

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

That does not detract from the fact that you MADE a KNIFE.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

It needs polishing, and some upkeep, it’s all rusty. :/

That’s not a knife.

That’s a knife.

(Quotes aside, pretty cool that you made a knife.)

Oh noes. All my store-bought knives are stainless steel, but i plan on making a knife from an old metal file.

And with the template, the girl holding the knife has one that looks a lot like yours.
    EDIT
    Made no sense.
    Uh.
    On the page, the girl holding the knife has one that looks like your knife. Are the templates all the same?

Haha, I don’t own a sword. (In my wildest dreams)

As far as swords are concerned, you cannot possibly go more badass than Arabic swords. Those things are awesomeness embodied. Behold:

http://www.wreckamovie.com/system/shot_medias/0000/0629/arab1l.jpg
    http://lh4.ggpht.com/AbaAba123/RkGfQO0KSYI/AAAAAAAAAN0/dfQiBN1TpxM/s400/023+-+Armory+Swords.JPG
    http://mediterraneancraftsgiftshop.com/Artiz%20Sword%20Imam%20Ali.JPG (oops, big file)
    http://arabicpicture.net/data/media/106/nn.jpg

<3

Falconempress, what’s with the split in that third sword? Do you know what that is called?

• CommentTimeAug 22nd 2009

I don’t think that the Arabic swords are supremely badass… they’re just not me.

@Un-Danted – it is just a matter of opinion:)

@Future Devin – that is the shape of the blade. Though for what reason the split is there or what the sword is called, I have no idea

The only reason for the slit that I could possibly think of is catching your opponents blade. >.<

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

On the page, the girl holding the knife has one that looks like your knife. Are the templates all the same?

Naw, no template, you’re just given a long piece of metal. I just liked that design.

Ah.
    I’d do something more curvy: like Aragorn’s dagger.

Though for what reason the split is there or what the sword is called, I have no idea

After some careful research*, it appears that the sword design was unique, and that it was the sword used by Ali ibn Abi Talib, the cousin and son-in-law of Mohamed, and the fourth Caliph.

*typing random phrases into Google search bar and hoping for relevant results

•  
      CommentAuthorhappycrab91
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2009 edited

I really wish I had the money to waste on real swords, and I wish I had the money and could be bothered to learn how to use lots of different types of swords efficiently *accidentally sends sword flying into family member*

My favourite sword iz teh MASTERSWORD!!!!! And after that, teh KEYBLADE THINGY from kingdom hearts. A friend has one and the "blade" is fuck tons heavy. But no they aren't really my favourite swords. Cloud's sword from FFVII that splits apart is cool, too.

As for real swords, katanas are fairly awesome. I watch a reasonable amount of anime/manga where I see them a lot.

@ Kyllorac, I know about Katars but don't quite understand how they work. Don't they somehow open up a bit when you squeeze the handles or something?I really want to see a diagram or video showing exactly how it works. Do you know where I can find this information?
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

You grip them and punch people.^^ :D

That does not detract from the fact that you MADE a KNIFE.

Yep, Jeni is now the perfect woman.

The only reason for the slit that I could possibly think of is catching your opponents blade. >.<

It’s to make the sword lighter and more balanced.

@falconempress:

Yes, we Arabs have the best swords in the world. This is because our blacksmiths were by divine force dubbed ‘Al-Awesome’ and they lived up to their names. Al-Awesome the elder crafted Ali Ibn Abi-Talib’s sword and is quoted to have said “If you’re going to go down in history as one of the awesomest guys the ever lived in the Middle East you’re going to need a kick ass sword.” Then Al-Awesome the elder searched far and wide for an ancient snake hundreds of years old; it was the staff Moses had turned into a snake. He captured it and slayed it and cut its forked tongue off, which he forged into the blade that would be called Al-Battal.

True story.

I’d do something more curvy: like Aragorn’s dagger.

Blades are like women; the curvier the better.

What are curvier blades better at doing, compared to straight blades?

Um, I think it’s a cavalry thing. If you charge at an infantryman and swing at him with a straight sword, it will get stuck in his body, but a curved blade allows the sword to sort of slide off. I’m not too sure about this one, really.

What are curvier blades better at doing, compared to straight blades?

Mostly I just said that as a joke, but all other things being equal, a curved blade cuts more efficiently than a straight blade.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

Yep, Jeni is now the perfect woman.

I smell a ship!

<<
    >>

• CommentAuthorFenix
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2009 edited

Personally I’d go for the good old European longsword(I guess you’d call it that).
    Stabbing, slashing and decent reach included in one convenient package.

I had something like this in mind, thanks wikipedia!

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac

You grip them and punch people.^^ :D

Just that. I do remember hearing about variations that would widen/had additional blades that stuck out so you couldn’t pull it out without doing a ton of damage, but I can’t find any info on them.

• CommentAuthorFenix

I just thought about it and one of the reason curved blades are inferior is because they can´t stab, which can be important against armoured opponents, by making a split you don´t really give up much of your cutting edge but it does allow you to stab if necessary.
    Perhaps the sword is to flimsy for this, I can´t tell, but it´s possible.

I just thought about it and one of the reason curved blades are inferior is because they can´t stab, which can be important against armoured opponents, by making a split you don´t really give up much of your cutting edge but it does allow you to stab if necessary.

Who says curved swords can’t stab?

Curved swords are better for slashing and straight swords are better for stabbing, but most are capable of doing both, barring some really peculiar designs.

@DrAllingator – Thank you! I feel so educated right now!

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2009 edited

Some of the African sword types are awesome too.

These Central African swords are in turns awesome and crazy. The one 3rd from the left? Crazy .

North African (inspiration for the LOTR elvish swords, perhaps?)

‘Salampasu’ sword

‘Fang Fa’ sword

ooooh.

Wouldn’t the third one from the left be really, really inconvenient for actual fighting? I’m not the most well-read on swords, but I’m trying to imagine a fight with that.

The ‘Fang Fa’ sword is awesome.

•  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky

I believe that sword (the one you’re thinking would be inconvenient for fighting) was used for executions rather than combat.

Oh. That makes sense.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

Yeah, I should have mentiond the crazy one is ceremonial for executions… but still. It’s one crazy sword. I actually like the Salampasu sword best.

If all goes well, by this time tomorrow I may well be the owner of a pair of these. Very nice, no? EDIT: damn, they’re out of stock. Another time, perhaps.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2009

@ Fututre Devin: When it comes to techniques, I like the jian best. Impractical, but undeniably beautiful.

wait, what? the Chinese straight sword is extremely practical. The techniques are hidden in the form, but they’re definitely practical and effective. Remember, these techniques and forms were developed at a time when practicing traditional kung fu was illegal (a rule enfoced by the invading Manchurians, who had taken over), so they had to develop fighting techniques that didn’t look like fighting. But don’t ever underestimate the effectiveness of the weapons forms, or even the empty-handed forms.

Some of the most effective assassins in the world were the Peking Opera players, who disguised their fighting arts as stageplay and dance, and assassinated Manchurian generals with a variety of hidden weapons and techniques. Just because you can’t see how it works, doesn’t mean it doesn’t.

That being said… this counts as a sword, right? Mmm. Gonna get me one of them eventually.

EDIT: sorry for the doublepost.

Forgive me, I spoke in ignorance. I was talking about stuff like this , it looks cool, but those kinds of jumps, spins, and twists are what get you killed.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2009

Fair enough, Devin. Yeah, those Wushu forms are strictly demonstration only. Not to mention those aluminium swords would shatter or bend backwards rather the pierce flesh (as they’re meant to, for safety within the competition). The traditional forms are the practical ones.

I like this type of sword, and this one, and this one.
    More information on swords, armour, and other historical weapons can be found here

•  
      CommentAuthorMaese Delta
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2011 edited

Órale... there are some swords that I didn't know. O.O

As for my favourite sword, I can definitely say it's this one:

http://img30.imageshack.us/i/claymore7.jpg/

A gift for my 19th birthday. =D

Wow, that’s impressive. Do you fence or is it just for display?

These:

!http://www.thearma.org/essays/3hnds.jpeg!

I took Renaissance fencing as a gym class last semester, and I’m taking longsword this semester. Fencing was fun, but I think my longsword experience will be more helpful for my novel.

@SWQ:

It's just for display... maybe some day I'll try to find some place for fencing classes, and I want to have some practice with a Claymore. I think it's been said to be one of the most difficult to handle.
    •  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2011

@lookingforme: Now I’m jealous. I have no idea what options my school offers for gym classes, but they probably don’t offer fencing.

• CommentAuthorSlyShy
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2011

Rapiers, by a pretty wide margin. Katanas are cool too.

@Apep: I totally wasn’t expecting it…I was looking to take something like yoga or massage! But THEN I found my true calling :)

Blades are like women; the curvier the better.

I agree.

Also – what kind of axe do you have, Nate?
    I like double-bladed battle-axes (the type that nearly all dwarves in fantasy use, when they’re not using hammers), because they look badass. But I’m not familiar with how funcional and practical they might be.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2011 edited

double-bladed axes do not exist outside of fantasy. Reason being, battle type axes had very small heads, and only one of them. The outlandishly huge axe-heads of fantasy would require superhuman strength and endurance to wield effectively for any length of time, and wouldn’t be as effective at killing, anyway. The only reason one might have a second axe head is so if the first one breaks, you can flip it around and use the second.
    Secondly, physics dictates that the smaller the striking area, the greater the concentration of force and therefore the more effective the attack. Hit something with the edge of an axe, and it makes a nice dent at the very least. Hit something with the flat, and it just bounces off. Axe heads in real-world battle scenarios were small, to concentrate the force and penetrating power of the axe heads, as well as for speed and manoeuvrability.

Importantly, real battle axes were not sharp. They were not like knives, where you can just slice and be done with it. In that case, why the need for the heavy head and long handle and huge swinging chopping techniques? Axes were largely a concentration of blunt force along a single ridge, designed to break armour and bones more than anything else. Axes only started to be sharpened after the weight and steel-quality was reduced for ceremonial purposes. You look at pretty much any battle-type axe in the world, from the Vikings to the French to the Chinese to the South Americans to the Pacific Islanders, and they are comparatively blunt, small-headed heavy weapons with long chopping techniques. And the vast majority are single-headed.

A notable exception is the West African designs, which use the curved head of the axe as a slicing blade rather than purely a chopping blade. But even then, those designs were mostly ceremonial. The Zulu war-axes were very similar to the Chinese long-handled axe. Very long handle, tiny narrow axe head. Some of the Northern African axe types were more like pick-axes than the traditional curved-bladed axe that we think of today.

double-bladed axes do not exist outside of fantasy.

I had a suspicion, but I couldn’t prove it.
    thanks, Taku.

Secondly, physics dictates that the smaller the striking area, the greater the concentration of force and therefore the more effective the attack.

But this only counts for the edge of a blade, right? Because, as far as I know, absurdly sharp tips (on swords, daggers, spears, what have you) may look cool and all, but they’re very inefficient IRL.

Axes were largely a concentration of blunt force along a single ridge, designed to break armour and bones more than anything else.

So they basically used it to beat their opponents senseless while drawing a little bit of blood, as opposed to swords, which they used to stab their guts out?

You look at pretty much any battle-type axe in the world, from the Vikings to the French to the Chinese to the South Americans to the Pacific Islanders, and they are comparatively blunt, small-headed heavy weapons with long chopping techniques. And the vast majority are single-headed.

Yeah, I’ve seen a couple of those. Especially those used by the Vikings.

That was pretty interesting, thanks.
    Reason I asked was because a couple of years ago I drew a comic series where most of the heroes used a double-bladed axe (or two!) every now and again.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2011 edited

So they basically used it to beat their opponents senseless while drawing a little bit of blood, as opposed to swords, which they used to stab their guts out?

That’s the gist of it.Although you have to remember, everything evolved from clubs. Swords started out as big iron rods, unsharpened clobbering sticks. Someone made a flat one, and it was rather more effective at clobbering than a round one. That continued until they started getting sharp, but guess what? The sharper a blade is, the easier it is to chip or break it. No sword in the world (not even a katana) is supposed to be surgically sharp, because the edge would only last for one of two big hacks. It’s only in recent re-enactment times that swords started betting sharp, because they’re only ever used for one or two big hacks and the really good ones are made of better-quality high-carbon steel than the original weapons.

But this only counts for the edge of a blade, right?

Yes, but the longer an edge is, especially with a curve, and the more that force will be spread out. The greatest concentration of force is a single point, like a dagger or spear head, but an axe is designed to spread the force out along a straight line in order to crack bones, not in order to stab through. (Think like a meat cleaver, which is almost blunt compared to a filleting knife, but much heavier. It’s used to concentrate the force of a strike through the bone in a straight line in order to snap it in a particular direction).

And really, you don’t need much force to do either. It only takes, what, six pounds of force to snap a bone? Swinging a small-headed axe over your shoulder at high speed produces rather a bit more than six pounds of force. And you don’t need to have a sharp edge to collapse someone’s trachea with a well-aimed blow to the throat. You could do that with your hand, but an axe has better reach.

Swords started out as big iron rods, unsharpened clobbering sticks. Someone made a flat one, and it was rather more effective at clobbering than a round one.

I will never forget the JLA episode where Superman gets stuck in a distant future and has to survive without powers for a while. He makes a fire and then forges a katana-esque sword… out of a tyre iron. Awesome.

The sharper a blade is, the easier it is to chip or break it. No sword in the world (not even a katana) is supposed to be surgically sharp, because the edge would only last for one of two big hacks.

I already knew that. I also know that the sharper a blade is, the more skilled you have to be to handle it. There’s a book out there where the Gary Stu of a hero starts out as a farmboy or whatever (how original!) and then, when he gets the Call to become Our Hero, someone gives him the sharpest sword in the universe. IRL he would accidentally hack himself up with that thing before he ever gets the chance to kill even one mook.

Although you have to remember, everything evolved from clubs.

Except knives. Knives evolved out of small rocks.

Swinging a small-headed axe over your shoulder at high speed produces rather a bit more than six pounds of force.

So we’re talking broken armour, a shallow but painful cut at the point of impact, broken bones and lots of soft tissue injuries and internal bleeding in the surrounding area?

I'm not sure about the armour.

If it's Plate it'll just make one heck of a racket and slide off, possibly breaking your weapon.

If it's Mail, and keep in mind medieval soldiers wore a thick quilted gambeson over their mail and another underneath it. Kind of like how modern soldiers wear ceramic inserts with their body armor. So it may just tear the outer gambeson and make the Mail flex and the remaining force will absorbed by the inner layer.

Here's an interesting article.

http://myarmoury.com/feature_mail.html

If it’s Plate it’ll just make one heck of a racket and slide off, possibly breaking your weapon.

You sure?
    It won’t dent inwards and injure the person wearing it?

Very sure, keep in mind that cutting attacks are wasted on plate and you run the risk of shattering your weapon.. There's a reason why in the Age of Plate the weapon of choice against an armoured man was an impact weapon. Or (preferably) a couched lance. When Plate got big is also around the same time that Axes kind of go out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2011

That’s true. Against plate, the best weapon is one with a lot of stopping power that doesn’t chip or break easily. Hence, a big solid ball of iron on a stick, sometimes with spikes in.

Admittedly, the spikes are a later invention. Again, someone combined the idea of concentration of force with the idea of a huge crushing weight, and put them together. When the spikes kept snapping off or blunting, the flanged mace was developed, which is essentially a series of blunt swords welded together in a heavy circle.

Although, again, this idea evolved from an even earlier weapon: clubs. Same concept, stronger material.

Wow, the intricacy on the mace is amazing.

If you can get both form and function go for it. ; )
    •  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2011

Every weapon we know comes from one of four basic weapons: club, spear, net/rope and thrown rocks. As the Chinese call them: short, long, flexible and projectile. I tend to think of four applications of weaponry: slicing, stabbing, trapping and bludgeoning. Pretty much every weapon ever falls into one of these categories, or a combination. If you think about it, even bullets fired from a gun are high-speed bludgeoning weapons.

And that mace was a ceremonial weapon, real battle maces probably wouldn’t have been decorated like that. Possibly they were, I just can’t personally see the point of spending days acid-etching intricate patterns on something that might easily get lost or destroyed or stolen or forced up your nose during combat.

Hence, a big solid ball of iron on a stick, sometimes with spikes in.

Also, I read somewhere that in medieval times they put wax or something on a mace’s head. Apparently that could penetrate plate armour.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2011

That’s true. There was once a time when asking your son to wax your spiky balls wasn’t incestuous.

All that aside, though, there’s something to be said for a graceful, beautiful sword design. I’m currently favouring minimalist thin-bladed styles like the Chinese “goose quill” sabre, and the “corn leaf” sabre.

I also really like the Chinese nandao, southern cutlass, because of its practical design and versatility.

There was once a time when asking your son to wax your spiky balls wasn’t incestuous.

Nice. I lolled.

The huge, deeply curved swords that the Arabians used – were those sabres or scimitars?

Scimitars, the sabres would be the western version of scimitars and cutlasses, I think.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2011

There’s a bunch of different scimitars from the region. The Persians had the shamshir, the Turks has their kilij, teh Arabs had a saif, the Indians had a talwar, the Afghans has a pulwar, the Moroccans had a nimcha, and the Eastern Europeans has their own styles, including the Polish szabla, the Armenian ordynka, and so on. They all varied in terms of curvature, length and weight.

The ridiculously curved swords that you see in old movies set in Arabia are fictional, as far as I have been able to find.

Oh okay.

Specifically referring to the Arabian saif, here – what did they look like?
    And were they strong enough to take off a human head?
    I really need to know this.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2011

This is a pretty accurate sample. The curved ‘eagle head’ handle is pretty typical of the design, but not unique to it.

And there are differing theories about how they were held, as well. Most movies etc. show them held in the traditional manner of a European sword (that is, the ‘long’ grip), but other documents suggest the blade was held ice-pick (or tonfa) style against the forearm (the ‘short’ grip).

And no, Klutor. Pretty much no sword is strong enough to cut a head clean off, unless the neck is stationary against a solid area (like a chopping block). A cavalry-wielded saif could slice your neck clean through to the bone, perhaps, but the spine and muscle tends to stop most bladed weapons. Axes are better at head-chopping, but if there’s any space at all for backward movement or dispersal of force, t5hey’re not going to go all the way through.

Besides, one doesn’t need to make massive killing blows like than when the same effect can be achieved with a thin slice across the carotid. Battle-wounds should always be minimalistic and efficient. Make the smallest cut that still kills them. Anything more and you’rer wasting your time and energy.

but other documents suggest the blade was held ice-pick (or tonfa) style against the forearm (the ‘short’ grip).

That would require more skill and ability, wouldn’t it? Swinging the blades around like Riddick does with his knives (that’s how I picture it, anyway)...

unless the neck is stationary against a solid area (like a chopping block)

That’s more or less what I meant; execution-style, victim chained to a wall or something.

Besides, one doesn’t need to make massive killing blows like than when the same effect can be achieved with a thin slice across the carotid.

The Turks rode horses, right? Are there any records of them slashing their opponents with these “thin slices”... but in the femoral artery (which would be kinda accessible if both of you are riding horses), not through the throat?

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2011

Swinging the blades around like Riddick does with his knives (that’s how I picture it, anyway)...

No, more like if you were trying to elbow them in the face. And I apologise, I misremembered that video. Dug it up just for you, though. :)

execution-style, any heavy sharp blade will do the trick, given enough force and momentum. I’m sure a saif would manage.

@Klutor.

The weapon of choice for a Cavalrymen (Pre-Gunpowder) was the Lance and keep in mind that the large, fast and heavy charging horse does most of the damage.