Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

I hate to start a discussion, and this has probably been made before, but, um, yeah.

What writing supplies do you use? Are you a picky writer who only buys a certain model and brand of pen from a specialty store? Or are you a writer content with a cheapo stick pen and notebook/computer paper? Do you use spiral notebooks or composition books? Why?

Microsoft Word :/

Do you use 2007 or the old version?

2003 4 lyfe

2007 is like great, though. All the same features, and only seven times harder to use!

2007 is like great, though. All the same features, and only seven times harder to use!

When I had it, I was daunted at first. When I saw someone else using it, I was like, “OMG THATS SO SUPER COOL EYE CANDY FTW!”

Am I the only one who found it mostly super simple? Some things were difficult to find, but for general use, it was easy. It was pretty.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2009

Open Office.

Calibri, 11.5

Zboard.

Logitech ball mouse.

I used to do everything in a marble notebook using an ink pen. (All my books were books, and I wanted them to look that way). Then I went to pencil. Now, everything’s typed on Word.

I also use Open Office. Writing longhand makes me a slow, excited child instead of a decent, productive typist.

Am I the only one who found it mostly super simple? Some things were difficult to find, but for general use, it was easy. It pretty.

I just don’t feel like it improved on 2003 in any meaningful ways. It just moved things around.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Open Office.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

A three-ring binder (with a picture of my boyfriend on the cover; he’s hairless, red-eyed and has no nose. Guess who!), college ruled paper, and a pencil. However, lately I’ve been using MS Word a lot more often, out of necessity. Can’t have it on notebook paper forever, I guess.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

he’s hairless, red-eyed and has no nose. Guess who!)

Rorge, from Ice and Fire.

I just don’t feel like it improved on 2003 in any meaningful ways. It just moved things around.

The interface was a vast improvement.

Anyway, since it ain’t free, I no longer use that stuff. So, my arsenal:

Laptop
    >Open Office
    >Dark Room
    >Notepad

I also have a lined notebook and a blank-sheeted notebook, the latter being for theatrical work. And I alternated between pencil, blue uniball and black uniball for freshness. And I use those really expensive uniballs which are like a pack of three pens for six outragous pounds, but they are just such great pens and it’s well worth it.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2009 edited

he’s hairless, red-eyed and has no nose. Guess who!

Sounds sexy.

Aw, am I the only one enchanted (that’s the new “dazzled” :D—uh, never mind) with office supplies? I go, “Ooh! Notebooks! Pens!”

Voldie?

I use a really dated version of Microsoft Word.

Aw, am I the only one enchanted (that’s the new “dazzled” :D—uh, never mind) with office supplies? I go, “Ooh! Notebooks! Pens!”

They’re too expensive. I mean, I’m going to misplace them all in a week, so why bother?

That’s why it doesn’t work for me: I’m stingy and I lose things.

• CommentAuthorUn-Dante'd

@ Spanman
    “he’s hairless, red-eyed and has no nose. Guess who!”
    Voldemort :D

Is it Krillin’s evil twin?

You scare me. hides under bed

But… but… Krillin… but…
    That was awesome.

That was awesome.

The winsomeness made me laugh at first.

Lol.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Of course it’s Voldemort. We’re sending out engagement pictures if anyone wants one. ^^

My computer. Microsoft Word 2000. My mouse. A keyboard.

Badaboom.

How cute is that?

Facepalm
    Needs a haircut.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Nah, I have this picture on:

Besides, I didn’t really like that Tom Riddle anyway.

Better than this guy.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Hahaha. Ha.

He has nice clothes, anyway.

I always, always write in a HB pencil. Pens freak me out.

Pens are cool.

Of course it’s Krillin’s evil twin, Darrel. We’re sending out engagement pictures if anyone wants one. ^^

@ Spanman
    His pants are too long.

@ hmyd.windmere
    Depends on the pen. I prefer Uniball or Zebra, but I also like fountain pens. I hate writing with the standard stick stylo.

Pens are cool.

But pens are so dark, their writings burn into my retina.

Pens are only good for lecture notes, in which case I want them to burn into my retina and stay there forever. stay

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2009 edited

XDDDD

Sansafro. You are amazing.

Thanks so much for making our engagement picture! Aren't we the perfect couple? :D

Haha, true. I find that I can remember better with ink than lead.

@ Un-Dante’d-

I’d love a fountain pen, but the ones I’ve seen in real life were too expensive.

@ hmyd.windmere
    You can get the Pilot VPen for like 4 dollars.

Thanks so much for making our engagement picture! Aren’t we the perfect couple? :D

I really can’t think of any possible way to improve there.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2009

Thanks to you, my life is now complete.

Thanks to you, my life is now complete.

I do what I can.

I need to get me some Photoshop, though. I could’ve completed five people’s lives in the time it took me to complete yours using Paint.

But, there’s pens on Pilot’s website for 6,500 dollars. My goodness, who would pay that much for a pen?

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2009 edited

Get Photoshop then! Completeing people’s lives in a fifth of the time is well worth the effort of getting your hands on it.

EDIT: Jeez, stupid typo.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

My goodness, who would pay that much for a pen?

The same person who would pay $24,000 for a watch.

I’d sooner buy a replica. :)

I’d sooner buy a replica. :)

From a shady street vendor who has dozens of others in his trench coat?

If he has something else underneath his trench coat.

yWriter 5 for planning, WordPad for writing.

I use yWriter5 for planning because it’s pretty damn awesome. Sometimes.
    Mostly I just use a pen and paper and jot down everything I want to happen in a timeline. I always end up with huge gaps and crammed writing, but that’s okay.

Mostly when writing, I use Word 2003. I hate 2007. HATEHATEHATE. When writing something I really really care about, it goes longhand. In which case, it MUST be written in blue Penmate TM ballpoint pen, and it MUST be on reinforced holepunched ruled looseleaf. But only because that’s what I always write on.

Hmmm. What is this yWriter? I better check it out.

DO! It's absolutely safe, no bugs, no virii, no nothing!

*nudge nudge wink wink*
    • CommentAuthorSlyShy

I write with PyRoom when I’m on a computer. Otherwise I use a legal pad (flipping over is way more convenient) and some Pilot G1 gel pens. I’m kind of particular about the gel pens, because I develop pain in my hand otherwise. <_<

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I’m an extremely visual/kinetic learner, which means to understand things, I absolutely have to draw them out and diagram them to see where everything is in relation to everything else. So virtually all my planning is done with pen on computer paper. I can’t stand notebook paper, because it has annoying lines across it, and I can’t stand pencils, because they make horrid noises, smudge, and look terrible several years later (all faded and gray and ugly). Lovely ballpoint pens on smooth, white computer paper, though… beautiful. :D

Actual writing is done either on computer paper (with pens, of course!) or on a computer, using whatever edition of Word is on the computer in question. No particular preference to programs.

@Dr. Alligator

That was amazing. I need to find a way to use it now.

@Dr. Alligator

Wow, that was fascinating.

•  
      CommentAuthorAdamPottle

Computer, microsoft office word, times new roman 12, many bottles of water.

Now I can do it, too. Ha! Ha!

I just facepalmed myself. Now I’ve got a headache.

You completely missed the point. :|

No, I got the point. I just think it’s fun.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

I looked at YWriter. It’s a pretty cool program, I wish I had found it earlier. I’m too far into my current story to take the time and use it, but for the future, I definitely will keep it in mind for planning stuff.

I’m sticking to plain old MS Word.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I might just get PyWriter.

I use WriteMonkey, but Q10 is on my flash drive.

I’m sticking to plain old MS Word.

^^ this

• CommentAuthorWlyWhy
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2009

I just made myself a combination folder + less bulky clip board. I’m so pleased with it. :D Maybe ridiculously so. <_<

SlyWhy, please translate that. I’m liking the sound of organisation, which I lack.

1. my computer.

2. My Monty Python notebook

3. Ball point pens.

• CommentAuthorWlyWhy

Steph,

It’s basically a clipboard, but I can tuck the papers into the flap so nothing flies around when it is windy. Picture 1, Picture 2.

Do we applause?

claps Bravo, bravo, Sly. (Wly… Whatever…)

That is awesome. clap clap clap I want to make one now…

• CommentAuthorWlyWhy

Just take a really cheap plastic binder and cut one side off, to use as the base.

•  
      CommentAuthorSMARTALIENQT
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2009 edited

Wow! You have filing cabinets in your room!

I notice stuff like that. Heh. Heh.

Thank you. I’m going to cut up my old folders now.

Wait, wouldn’t that be sort of flimsy? Is there something else like cardboard?

Hey, Sly? I have better glasses than you.

I thought you were talking about computer clip boards and folders, etc. sigh. This technological age…

I only use my hand!

wait, that did not come out right…

basically I am paranoid and I do not trust machines. I write everything short – hand/long – hand. I do waste a lot of black pens, though:P

• CommentTimeAug 22nd 2009

“What about it, girls? Do you want the Jonas Brothers to douse you with their white foam?”

That was a hilarious episode.

“And Mickey will return to Valhalla, where he will slumber and feed.”

“I don’t want to watch Grey’s Anatomy, Ken!”

“And we are reminded that syphilis is still a deadly disease.”

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

I trick myself into thinking I can write stuff by hand, but really I find the computer easier.

Unless it’s uni work, in which case, I do find it easier to do by hand, because my book notes end up all over the paper, and in crazy angles in the margin. And I use a lot of shorthand thanks to my… kooky History teacher.

@ Un-Dante’d: HAHAHAHA. I referenced that once. I think it was during an Oprah episode we were watching for lulz.

I know that this is very late, but I’m finally back at my home computer and have installed yWriter.

This will take time to get used to, but it sure looks amazing :)

No more re-writing entire chapters just because I can’t find where I saved it among million other files.

(Blatant paid advertisement)

Thank you, yWriter, you’ve saved my life! Also remember to check out the yWriter Professional, available for you only $1.99 a month

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

I use an old Windows 2000 computer to write. I lovingly refer to it as Clunker, since start-up takes around 5 minutes. But my baby is great for writing because I can keep it right in my room, and Clunker doesn’t have internet set up.

Mine is a clunker with internet. So many distractions, so little time.

I wish I had the will to unplug the router whilst writing. I’d be so much more productive.

But couldn’t you always plug it back in?

But couldn’t you always plug it back in?

Yeah, I should have been more thorough. I wish I could unplug the router whilst writing and keep it unplugged for the duration. As an example, I pulled up the chapter I’m working on now right around 6:30pm CST, and after ~45 minutes, I have written exactly two sentences.