Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorWiseWillow
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2009

Which books have you read? Favorite scene, favorite character? Favorite quotes?

Do share!

I have a gem…

“I read in a book once that a rose by any other name would smell as sweet, but I’ve never been able to believe it. I don’t believe a rose WOULD be as nice if it was called a thistle or a skunk cabbage.”

I’ve read all except the last two. I enjoyed them all, some more than others, but I think my favorite book is Anne’s House of Dreams. I’m not sure, as I haven’t read the series in years, but I remember liking that one. ;)

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I tried reading these and… didn’t like them at all. Sorry. :(

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2009 edited

What swenson said. D: My older sisters loved them. I tried, but I guess I’m not romantic enough to enjoy it.

But, but… the beautiful descriptions of things!

I love Anne. I’ve always related to her more than any other character from literature. Plus, she and Gilbert are such a cute couple. XD

• CommentTimeAug 14th 2009

Agreed and agreed. Anne is awesome.

Especially because of the whole ‘imagination’ thing. And she’s a redhead. That just makes her even more awesome. :D

I have the box set (not including ‘the road to avonlea’ and ‘further chronicles of avonlea’, which were boring). I hated Rilla of Ingleside (first because it was about the war, and after I got over that, because it stops when Rilla says ‘Yeth’ and doesn’t say if they fell in love). I didn’t like Anne of Green Gables either. She struck me as such an idiot.

The best narrative out of all of them is probably Anne’s house of dreams. I loved numbers 3, 4 and 7 the best.

The kids are also very well-written.

Sometimes Anne does get herself into sticky situations…but a lot of the time they’re hilarious (case in point- the Gilbert and slate incident) But it was comforting for me to know that I wasn’t the only one with an overactive imagination. :D

• CommentTimeAug 14th 2009

I love how TvTropes says Anne and Gilbert are Slap Slap Kiss Kiss…. only more like Taunt Taunt CRACK A SLATE OVER HEAD Kiss Kiss

I’ve never really been able to find embarrassing situations funny unless they were my own or the embarrassee was hardly able to tell the story for laughing so hard.

• CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2010 edited

I loved these. I liked the first one, but Rilla of Ingleside is probably my favorite.

SPOILER:

Edit: Elanor here, edited out a spoiler.
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2012

Just re-read the entire series. Anne is a bit Mary Sue-ish, but the scatterbrained idiocies help, and as an adult she isn’t as… OHAI I AM ANNE HOW CAN I HELP YOU FAIRIES ARE REAL WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Not sure of my favorite… Anne of Ingleside makes me happy because of the ending, where she experiences doubt, and sadness, and jealousy about Gilbert.

Anne is a bit Mary Sue-ish, but the scatterbrained idiocies help

Yeah, pretty much.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2012

For me, the first book is the best. I just love the child-like simplicity of the plot and prose and everything. I love old classics set in that era.

•  
      CommentAuthorMiel

Anne <3 I started reading these books when I lived on Prince Edward Island, and they were the best thing when I was a young girl. L.M. Montgomery’s prose captured the atmosphere of that place so well… and I miss the island so much now (T_T)

I think my favourite of the series is Anne’s House of Dreams as well, RVL. It was so sappy, but so wonderful, and it had such a colourful cast (Captain Jim <3). I liked Rilla of Ingleside as well, and it made Walter one of my favourite characters.

Out of curiosity, has anyone read the recently published ‘last’ book of the series? It’s titled The Blythes are Quoted. It’s actually a collection of short stories and poetry written by L.M. Montgomery, which she later reworked into the ‘Anne’ universe and narrowly missed publishing before her death. I enjoyed it very much; it gives quite a bit of insight as to who Montgomery was in life, moreso than her complete novels, and it also serves to tie up some loose ends from Rilla of Ingleside and

I haven’t… is it worth getting ahold of? I’m curious, but I’ve also heard it’s depressing. Then again, loose ends? :O

•  
      CommentAuthorMiel
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2012 edited

The short stories vary in quality; some are great and a couple aren’t so good, but I enjoyed the poetry a lot. Overall, yes, it is pretty depressing; the main themes are war and loss; but I would get it just for the sense of closure.

I read that book (the movies were good too) when I was twelve and even today, in spite of my beer-and-gun-loving-metalhead personality, I still love that book and have fond memories of Anne. It helps that I was the same age as Anne when I read it and that I found a _lot_ of common ground with her (the way she saw things, the way she talked, her ideas, the scatter-brainededness, etc, etc), it's kinda scary actually. Now that I'm older I have more in common with Marilla which is kinda strange.

That’s okay. Marilla is awesome.

• CommentTimeMar 14th 2012

Agreed. Marilla rocks.

Just got Chronicles of Avonlea and Further Chronicles of Avonlea in the mail. WOOOT!

•  
      CommentAuthorFalling
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2012

I think I’ve only read it once just before watching a musical on it. It never really stood out to me. However, the 1985 movie and sequel I’ve watched many times. I’m sure it’s something I’ll foist upon my future children.

Somehow that film is all tied up in childhood nostalgia (probably from watching it at Grandma’s.) Besides, in the sequel Megan Follows is pretty cute. Anyways, it’s a pretty fun story and Matthew is awesome. I think appreciate the Gilbert-Anne romance a little more as an adult.