Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2009

Oh dear.

Poor Paolini. He’s so adorable, in that dorky way. Like… I don’t know. He embodies the typical nerd stereotype. I want to just ruffle his hair and be like “Aww, it’s okay, try again in 40 years when you’ve actually learned how to write.”

Favorite line: I cannot trill my R’s on the tip of my tongue like an Elf, or an Italian. I can trill my R’s in the back of my throat, using my uvula, which apparently is very rare.

I just can’t believe that he said all this stuff at a festival in front of literary professors and all sorts of intelligent academia people who have been studying literature and Steinbeck and related topics for longer than he has been alive. O.o

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Oh this looks fun, haven’t seen it yet though.

At least he is enthusiastic. He believes in himself, which helps others to, as well. :P

•  
      CommentAuthorRandomX2
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2009 edited

I had no idea what he was saying when he started speaking in a Dwarvish accent.

Is it just me, or were the people genuinely laughing at things that were clearly not funny or not meant to be jokes?

On the upside, we have a new quote: “DIE, PUNY HUMAN!”

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

Perhaps there is a demon inhabiting him.

Can we perform an exorcism upon the puny human?

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

At least he is enthusiastic. He believes in himself, which helps others to, as well. :P

One of his few redeeming qualities. It’d be nice if he could actually lose the ego and go to writing school or something.

•  
      CommentAuthorRandomX2
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2009 edited

Can we perform an exorcism upon the puny human?

We can… but you have to say the magic words while doing it.

He’s a lot less geek-nerdy than I would of thought. He can speak decently in public, at least.
    He seems like one of those stereotypical postive-nerds. It’s actually nice to see.

He’s so adorable, in that dorky way. Like… I don’t know. He embodies the typical nerd stereotype. I want to just ruffle his hair and be like “Aww, it’s okay, try again in 40 years when you’ve actually learned how to write.”

LOL, oh that’s good stuff.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Aww, he didn’t have his huge knife this time. :P

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Someone should have asked him what he thought of Twilight.

•  
      CommentAuthorRandomX2

We would all have to immediately seek shelter and lie low for a few decades.

The fanboy/fangirl wars alone would inspire countless other stories. All terrible and with s3ntncs lyk th1s.

Aww, he didn’t have his huge knife this time. :P

Lol! That was my favorite video!

My favorite question: How do you keep yourself from going off on tangents while you’re writing?

(Answer: He doesn’t.)

My favorite question: How do you keep yourself from going off on tangents while you’re writing?
    (Answer: He doesn’t.)

When he said “Have you seen my books?” I laughed.

The fact that he’s making a bit of fun at himself gives me some hope. Maybe someday he’ll be like Wil Wheaton and show up on these boards (now a part of Web 8.0) bashing his own early efforts and bemoaning those early drafts. (like I had a friend kind of do once)

Oh Pao-Pao, that sillybilly.

He is funny, you gotta give him that.

No I don’t. pouts

;P

Now I have this mental image of Invader Zim screaming, “DIE, puny hyooman!” over and over. It won’t go away.

Also, I love how he brings up constructed-language sites when it’s clear that he’s disregarded every point that they make.

Somehow, Pao-Pao writing romance makes me think of Twilight. Hrmmmm….

I think he’s kinda cool, judging by the video. He doesn’t take his work too seriously and he seems to be growing as an author, I think Paolini wants to put the teenage fantasy to rest and start maturing his writing.

Ugh, his voice is so terrible.

•  
      CommentAuthorhappycrab91
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2009 edited

Well he's certainly got charisma. I don't find him funny at all but I don't find many things funny so I can see why he might be considered funny to other people. I like people who can poke fun at their own work, but I think it only works if their work is actually good. Like the Scrubs, Lost, Supernatural and Avatar: The Last Airbender creators. And yea his voice is pretty bad but I'm pretty sure mine's worse. I know everyone hates the sound of their own voice, but mine seriously is worse.

It's too damn hard to hear a lot of the questions!! And how the hell does he remember how to speak his broken language...?
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2009

At least he realizes now that preachy, perfect elves are boring.

And how the hell does he remember how to speak his broken language…?

Nothing proves that he does remember, only that nobody else bothers familiarizing themselves to the point of being able to call somebody on it.

Here’s an example.

亜堀名がるあった書部刈りを存在と言う物が潰す用に滅茶苦茶だろうな。

That’s total gibberish, but can anybody who doesn’t know the language tell that?

If you spaced the characters out to make it look less like the foreign-asian-language equivalent of “smash keyboard but selectively shun the space bar”, no.

Japanese writing doesn’t have spaces in it.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2009 edited

And how the hell does he remember how to speak his broken language…?

He doesn’t. He remembers precisely one string/phrase of AL, and has to read the dwarfish out of a book. I think when you can’t work out a phrase or two in a language you supposedly created without checking the guide, that’s pretty pathetic.

Wow. Part of my American Lit homework for the summer was to visit the Steinbeck Center (about 30 minutes away, in Salinas) and then write about my experience there. Today I went to the Steinbeck Center, and there’s a giant banner on the front of the building. Who’s smirking, condensing face is looking down from that banner? PaoPao’s, that’s who’s. I didn’t know this was happening, or I would’ve made my trip earlier, and maybe ask him a few questions of my own.

Not really relevant to this discussion, but some more chapter sporkings of Brisingr have been released on http://eragon-sporkings.wikispaces.com/Brisinger and I found this very funny:

*Eragon needs to leave the varden without everyone knowing and run (yes run) all the way to some place for really no reason at all*

"Then. He turns himself invisible.

Yes. He turns himself invisible. It takes him all of three seconds.

And he's invisible.

Yet for some reason, when he had an ENTIRE BLOODY HOUR, EVEN MORE, HE WAS INCAPABLE OF BECOMING INVISIBLE THUS NOT NEEDING TO KILL ALL THOSE SOLDIERS IN THAT BLOODY FUCKING RANDOM ENCOUNTER. THEY WOULDN'T EVEN HAVE SEEN HIM AND YET FOR SOME REASON HE COULDN'T BECOME INVISIBLE. I GUESS IT MIGHT HAVE BEEN FOR DRAHMA'S SAKE BUT REALLY THERE WAS NO FUCKING REASON WHY HE COULDN'T HAVE BEEN COME INVISIBLE. THIS IS UTTERLY RIDICULOUS. IF YOU CAN BECOME INVISIBLE FOR ONE REASON THEN YOU CAN BECOME INVISIBLE FOR OTHER MORE PRACTICAL REASONS. LIKE AVOIDING A FIGHT AND THUS NOT NEEDING TO KILL ALL THOSE POOR INNOCENT SOLDIERS. OH WAIT I FORGOT THEY WORKED FOR THE EMPIRE AND SO THEY WERE AUTOMATICALLY EVIL AND OKAY TO KILL EVEN THOUGH THEY MIGHT HAVE TIPPED OFF THE EMPIRE THAT THEY WERE THERE. PLUS IT WAS A RANDOM ENCOUNTER AND YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO KILL THE THINGS YOU MEET IN A RANDOM ENCOUNTER FOR MORE XP.

*HEADDESKHEADDESKHEADDESK*

GARHHAGHGHGAHGHKAERUIOAEJKRKVNA;LSD90A;R
    EUAOND;A'POQLLDKAOEINGALSDKJKA E

I hate Paolini, I do. Seriously. I hate him with all the passion of a burning lust for chocolate.

*deep breaths*"

lols

He can become invisible? Doesn’t that make things substantially easier? Unless he can’t turn Saphira invisible, but then I think a dragon can fend for herself if she’s attacked by a puny human.

Paolini's magic system let's him do anything, but sometimes things are randomly said to not be possible when other things are. Like Eragon cured cancer but couldn't help other injured people. It's very inconsistant what he uses magic for and what he doesn't, like in what I quoted where Eragon didn't use invisiblity to avoid soldiers just so Paolini could write a random illogical scene of him killing innocent soldiers for no reason, and yet he does use invisiblity for something less important.

To relate all this to the actual topic, I wish I was there to ask him about the inconsistancy of his magic. Also ask him WHAT THE HELL he was thinking when he made Eragon welcome death then choose to keep on living because of an effing bumblebee.

That’s not so stupid as the inconstant invisibility, in my opinion.

•  
      CommentAuthorRandomX2
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2009

Wow, I actually totally forgot about the invisibility thing. I'm surprised Paolini himself, or his editors, didn't notice such a major hole.

Japanese writing doesn’t have spaces in it.

Yeah, well.

Yeah… well.

Your mum.

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2009

@ Dr. A

lol

Your mum.

:[

Regarding Japanese writing, that jumble of characters looks like gibberish to everyone, because if you know Japanese, you know that it’s meaningless, and if you don’t know Japanese, you think that it looks meaningless.

Regarding Japanese writing, that jumble of characters looks like gibberish to everyone, because if you know Japanese, you know that it’s meaningless, and if you don’t know Japanese, you think that it looks meaningless.

Yeah, it was a poor example, but it’s the only other language I know.

On the upside, we have a new quote: “DIE, PUNY HUMAN!”

Haha. What did they ask when he said, “No comment.” at the beginning? I couldn’t understand it.

How far along is he in writing the final book.

•  
      CommentAuthorSMARTALIENQT
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2009 edited

PLUS IT WAS A RANDOM ENCOUNTER AND YOU’RE SUPPOSED TO KILL THE THINGS YOU MEET IN A RANDOM ENCOUNTER FOR MORE XP.

True, true.

But you get more XP if you reason with the things and learn valuable information.

Unless it’s a Drow. Then you kill the nasty little buggers without asking questions of any kind.

Yeah, I’m an elf. Why do you ask?

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2009

Yeah, I have a friend with a very complicated theory about how the IC is just a thinly-disguised roleplaying campaign. Perhaps she’s right.

How far along is he in writing the final book.

He said in the video, oh so happily, that he is writing it “as fast as [he] possibly can.”

Yeah, I have a friend with a very complicated theory about how the IC is just a thinly-disguised roleplaying campaign. Perhaps she’s right.

My gosh, it is! Characters shuffling around learning information, killing off random things as they go… wow. I’ll have to tell my campaign.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2009

Haha. What did they ask when he said, “No comment.” at the beginning? I couldn’t understand it.

I have to admit, I get terribly annoyed when he says his “no comment” or “read the next book” spiel, dammit, some of the questions would have been so easy to answer, it’s not like he’s being asked who kills Dumbledore.

I found it unfunny. I mean, the crowd was laughing and stuff (and you could clearly hear the younger members), but, uh, I found it lacking. I plan to finish the entire thing later. His voice grates on my nerves.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2009

Argh, same, I just thought it was my usual, stereotypical “GRAR HATE AMERIKA”, but, hmm, if other people find his voice grating…

I can’t watch the whole video, but from what I gathered, I think a lot of people were giggling on the hype of having your favourite author in the same room as you.

I’vetotallydonethesame. ._.

• CommentAuthorAri
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2009

No, it’s not just you. His voice really annoys me…