Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

All queries welcome. To start things off, when writing, is it acceptable to simply give the character a few starting traits before you write, and then flesh them out more as you go along? Or should you know a lot about them before you start?

My personal “right answer” is to flesh them out with planning and characterization before I start writing.

What is your writing style? I think I remember you saying you do minimal planning?

I flesh them out a bit, but the rest comes out in the writing. Planning never works for me; I always end up changing things. ;)

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2009

It depends. If i plan things out (NaNo) I do as much background as possible. But sometimes I just pick up a story and run with it, and with simple personalities and motivations in mind for the character. And go from there.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I usually start with a couple of of traits, usually the most important ones (for example, he has a bad temper and she is timid), then put them in a situation that would bring out the rest. I’m not too keen on planning things out before jumping right in. =/

For my two main PoV characters, I filled out a fairly comprehensive character profile of my own making. Maybe I’ll post it on the main site, for those of you who like character profiles. For the other characters, I haven’t done much of anything, just letting the story take me along, but I like profiles because they make me think about motivations and such.

To start things off, when writing, is it acceptable to simply give the character a few starting traits before you write, and then flesh them out more as you go along? Or should you know a lot about them before you start?

I know it’s a cop out but for me the answer is always: depends on your own style. Figure out what works best for you and run with it.

I can’t even say one is better than the other because each has their pitfalls. (respectively)
    Method A) The character takes on the role of plot hole Spackle. EVERYTHING they do becomes “in character” whenever you need the plot moved along, even if a lot of these things start making no sense. This is worst with “insane” or “evil” characters. The answer to every “why is he/she ____?” becomes then “He/she is insane/evil.” Which makes for a flat character, not a rounded one.
    Method B) The character becomes less “real” and more about their “stats”. Then you end up having flat characters because they’re either mechanically rigid (not wavering from their “stats”) or their “stats” do not impact the story at all.

I personally try to utilize a bit of both. I come up with some basics about the character (particularly anything important to the story) and use those as “boundaries” or “guard rails”. Then when they react to a situation, I can have that reaction be organic without it going against their established character.

@ Nate: yeah, I try to keep things relevant to the story in a profile. I like to thing about what kind of reaction a character will usually have to a given situation, because that tells a lot about a person’s personality.

For short stories, I found it easier to just start with a pretty basic idea for the character and build on it as you go with whatever strikes you.

I’ve only got one non-short story experience, and in that case I spent a few years thinking about the characters beforehand. I thought I had a pretty good grip on them, but once you put them on the page and start letting them run around, more detailed aspects that you may not expect start emerging. Having a fairly thorough bio would help, but I don’t think it’s enough to really understand the character in totality.

I guess you just have to write them to see which traits hold up and which fall by the wayside.

• CommentAuthorRocky

bq. All queries welcome. To start things off, when writing, is it acceptable to simply give the character a few starting traits before you write, and then flesh them out more as you go along? Or should you know a lot about them before you start?

That depends on how you define "start". I can't remember who said it, but a well-known author was quoted saying "the rough draft is written to be rewritten". Or something like that. If by "starting", you're referring to the rough draft, then you won't need much.

I just like being prepared.

•  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky

Developing fully fleshed characters has never been a strength of mine. The hardest part is making your sympathetic characters flawed without making them unlikeable.

Developing fully fleshed characters has never been a strength of mine. The hardest part is making your sympathetic characters flawed without making them unlikeable.

I try to make someone’s important flaws extensions their virtues, or virtues that are situationally misapplied with some degree of frequency. Whether it works or not in practice, I have no idea, but in theory if they like your character’s positive traits when they are helpful, they won’t turn on your guys when those traits become liabilities.

Of course, having abject flaws are important too, but I guess you have to try and offset them with abject virtues.

•  
      CommentAuthorRandomX2

Planning motivation is what typically saves me from creating a flat character. That, and major personality characteristics. Everything else I find can be fixed with editing.

But I’m not much of a writer anyway.

@ Juniper:

My writing style- yeah, I do minimal planning. Mostly I write down a few ideas of what could happen and then go for it. But that’s coming apart at the seams for me. I’m trying to find a happy medium, because otherwise I get involved in vacuming cats.

@RandomX2: that’s really helpful!

Character creation is very fun for me, but I do have a tough time with the "baddies" as generally stories for me eventually emerge from an idea of "wow, this premise would be cool. Let's have a "good" and a "bad"." After which I go into details more and more.

But so far, I'm coming up with some *hopefully* real characters who aren't overly angsty. It is tough as several of my mains are under 15 (and are therefore....erratic.).
    Lol at Character Spackle. Total win.

RTT: I know, it’s hard to make them have mood swings and still not be OOC. Perhaps have it that they get mood swings after eating something or when someone brings up a touchy subject. And that they do certain things when they’re moody.

How smart to make a young character is hard, too, isn’t it? Because you don’t want them being Sue-smart.

Indeed. Kids are clever and can accomplish a surprising amount of things in a short period of time (say destroy the living room while I step out of it for 20 seconds to make a phone call.... O.O).
    But they generally aren't too good at linking things one after another after another unless they've had training. They seem to take it as it comes and not really think about implications or sequence.
    And they go through phases. It is absolutely hilarious as one of the little guys I'm babysitting has just gotten into Calvin and Hobbes and *I suspect* the comic in which Calvin declares he's going to sue his mother, because all of a sudden suing becomes the solution to any problem monetary or wishful. (No, you can't do that.... "Fine! I'll sue you and get money! *beam*")

How smart to make a young character is hard, too, isn’t it? Because you don’t want them being Sue-smart.

Sues are at, least IMO, much more nebulous and relative than people often think.

I’ll take this as a flimsy pretext to reference my project again. My male lead is a genius, in both the intellectual sense and the rate at which he absorbs things(fighting techniques, in this case). However, besides two or three weird secondary powers, that’s his only real gift, and this is in a world where all the upper tier characters have super strength, super speed, telekinesis, and other nonsense. In that context, his brain should only barely allow him to eke out victories, whereas, with a Sue, they tend to have gratuitous powers they don’t even need to win, and just humiliate any opposition they face.

I also think, if you show the negative aspects of various positive traits, it mitigates them in regards to their overall Sueyness. Again, using my guy as an example, there are plenty of ways hyperintelligence is not always a good thing to have.

—That sort of intellectual gap results in some amount of societal withdrawal, since most people can’t relate to him intellectually.
    —Since he relies almost entirely on his mind over his instincts or his emotion and it works, he overrates intelligence as a trait and it leads to arrogance, and looking down on others, which is not an especially good idea in a fight.
    —His mind becomes efficiently compartmentalized to the point where he never “opens” the parts that he doesn’t want to(emotions and such). That doesn’t mean they cease to exist, so when they reach the breaking point and overflow, he is worse at dealing with it than a normal person would.
    —In order to use his intellect effectively, he needs to know most or all of the pertinent information in a given situation. About a third of the way through, he’s betrayed by somebody he thought of as an ally. He didn’t trust the guy, but given the info he had access to, his “trust” wasn’t unreasonable. However, he didn’t know the entirety of the situation, so he ends up being wrong.

Damn, that was longer than I intended to ramble. Hopefully something in that mess is of use to somebody.

I meant Sue-ish-ness smart, as in having sudden flashes of brilliance or remembering a throw-away mark that suddenly makes sense, when a kid that age would NEVER make the connection.

I didn’t really use the right word when I chose ‘Sue’. I take it back.

And, Sans Afro? I think you’ve thought your character out very well.

In researching how to write children: read Elizabeth Honey, Rachel Flynn and Margaret Clark. They are probably the best children’s authors I’ve ever read.

Smart children: Catherine Jinks’s Evil Genius series are fantastic.

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2009 edited

I meant Sue-ish-ness smart, as in having sudden flashes of brilliance or remembering a throw-away mark that suddenly makes sense, when a kid that age would NEVER make the connection.

I didn’t really use the right word when I chose ‘Sue’. I take it back

D’oh DX I feel like a bonehead now for pontificating at such length.

I think that what you’ve described could work, if it’s written as a consistent trait of the character in question, and not something done as a plot contrivance. If they rely upon that kind of insight showing up regularly to help them out of jams, it could make for an interesting situation if the character in question became dependent on it and here it doesn’t kick in at a key moment, forcing them to work through the solution the old fashioned way.

Even for a kid it could be believable, so long as you write it in a believable way :x

I love you!

If they rely upon that kind of insight showing up regularly to help them out of jams, it could make for an interesting situation if the character in question became dependent on it and here it doesn’t kick in at a key moment, forcing them to work through the solution the old fashioned way.

That is the awesomest idea I’ve ever heard. Permission to possibly use it sometime in the future?

I“ve always thought that if you added some warm fun-loving traits to Bella, you could end up with a very awesome character on your hands.

Permission to possibly use it sometime in the future?

It’s your character concept we’re discussing, so of course you can use it!

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2009

Planning motivation is what typically saves me from creating a flat character.

Funny, I usually use the opposite approach. I begin writing with my characters reacting to events in an interesting way. I’ll fill in their motivation and backstory later, once I understand more what this character is doing.

I use a combination of both.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac

I'm a very spontaneous writer, so I do minimal planning, if any at all. It works well for me since I write character-driven stories, and I've been told my characters are very realistic and interesting.

Usually, I start out with a particular character trait that I think would be interesting. Then, I very vaguely figure out what would create that particular character trait predominant in a character. After that, I can usually pinpoint the character's gender, and from there, I put the character in a trying situation to see how they would react. Everything just falls into place from there, and the trying situation usually winds up being an integral part of the plot (usually the starting point).

Other times, though, if I'm writing a more plot-oriented story, I'll plan out the character's motivations and core personality. Everything else, though, I leave up to characters to figure out in the course of the story.

Both methods work well for me, as do combinations, and there's a couple other methods that I don't often use that also work. Basically, for me, it depends upon the story I'm writing which method or combination of methods I use.

[Edit] A note about flaws: they don't need to be obvious or directly related to the character's personality. I have one character who really loves sweet things and often puts spoonfuls of sugar into his tea. Unfortunately for him, he happens to be an Overlord, and so a rival drugs his tea. He never notices because the sugar covered up the taste of the drug. It just goes to show that something as innocuous as a sweet tooth can be quite a tragic flaw in the right circumstances.

Kyllorac, I can tell you’re going to be a productive lurker, unlike me, the site bimbo. If you haven’t already, go and introduce yourself :)

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac

As a general principle, I eschew introductions. :P

I think you should regurgitate them then.

/horrifically malapropistic joke.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac

But they're so gamy and delicious! :o

Gamy? Monopoly ftw.

•  
      CommentAuthorRandomX2

Funny, I usually use the opposite approach. I begin writing with my characters reacting to events in an interesting way. I’ll fill in their motivation and backstory later, once I understand more what this character is doing.

I used to think about my characters like that: I imagined a few really cool scenarios, then tried to tailor the story and the characters’ personality to match it. The resulting problem was that it restricted my thinking, in a sense. I set my story up to reach that event, and while it was good the majority of the story, as well as the characters personality outside of the event, weren’t overly interesting.

I like to focus my stories on my characters. I love to have a lot of things going on in their heads, and thus they feel like real people to me.

Stories that focus on plot, as opposed to characters, work much better with the method that you mentioned (imo).

But as I’ve said before, I’m not much of a writer. These are my subjective opinions and experiences.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I think you may have it backwards.. I dunno, for me characters are of the utmost importance.

•  
      CommentAuthorRandomX2

That’s what I was saying…

... or at least, that’s what I tried to say. It definitely did not come out right.

I like to focus on characters. This is why I focus on their motivations; it helps me understand them better.
    Focusing on how they react in certain situations and adjusting the story to match it (I think this is what Artimaeus was getting at) seems a strategy meant for plot-centric, as opposed to character-centric (I know that’s not a word) stories.

That’s the gist of what I was saying.
    Edit: Focusing on character actions actually does seem like it would help the writer understand the character better. It just never worked for me, for the reasons I mentioned in the earlier post.

Funnily enough, I have no memory of how I arrived and the characters and plots that I have. Selective amnesia? No idea. I have a feeling that it was a mix of character and plot driven.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2009 edited

I have a really odd way of instilling behavior into my characters. I think most of us have, at one point, daydreamed about a film version of our works and assembled a dream cast. I typically do that in all of my stories, usually for no other reason than to get a face and voice for these guys/girls. The interesting thing is that some prominent traits from characters these actors have played managed to infiltrate my characters in unexpected and really satisfying ways.
    • CommentAuthorUn-Dante'd
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2009

I find that if I do plan, I hammer out a background and everything, down to their favorite piece of music, sexual experience, all that jazz. But eventually, it’ll change, so I think that, logically, I would let the character make itself, in a way.

I have a really odd way of instilling behavior into my characters. I think most of us have, at one point, daydreamed about a film version of our works and assembled a dream cast. I typically do that in all of my stories, usually for no other reason than to get a face and voice for these guys/girls. The interesting thing is that some prominent traits from characters these actors have played managed to infiltrate my characters in unexpected and really satisfying ways.

I do this too, at points. The story I’m working on now grew out of one bizarre and inexplicable mental image of a certain actress wearing a kimono that came to me out of nowhere a few years ago.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac

I think most of us have, at one point, daydreamed about a film version of our works and assembled a dream cast. I typically do that in all of my stories, usually for no other reason than to get a face and voice for these guys/girls. The interesting thing is that some prominent traits from characters these actors have played managed to infiltrate my characters in unexpected and really satisfying ways.

I’ve never done that personally. I guess it’s partly because I have trouble distinguishing people based on appearance (being faceblind sucks sometimes) and partly because each of my characters already has a unique voice and personality of their own.

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow

I think (I’m having difficulty with my writing at the moment) what works best for me is to imagine a conversation with the character I’m trying to create, and then the first impression. Good points, faults, what they look like… then I swoop in and de-Sue if necessary.

Yeah, i don’t really know what any of my characters look like, except that one girl has wild dark curly hair and a round, flushed face. I’m too afraid of making them look cool and Sue-ish.

I only just thought about this.

You should create first. Get it out while it’s fresh. Then go back and edit, tweak, etc as necessary.

From personal experience: if you try to make it “original” and “fresh” and “not-sueish” you’ll never get anything written and find yourself paralyzed.

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow

Nah…. I just create them as I meet them, then go back and tweak, such as “ok, she doesn’t need the judo background and it’s too much”

What are you talking about? EVERYONE should have a judo background.

• CommentAuthorRocky

bq. From personal experience: if you try to make it “original” and “fresh” and “not-sueish” you’ll never get anything written and find yourself paralyzed.

This. My favorite characters became that way after weeks, months, and even years of evolutionary tweaking.

Oh, wait, I forgot to respond to Nate’s post! Lol. That’s a good idea. Thanks, Rocky. I have so much to learn, it’s not funny!