Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRandomX2
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2009 edited

Hope there’s not already a thread on this. Ah well…
    Any unique or funny habits that anyone would like to share?

I personally always wear a thick winter jacket, even in summer. I sleep with a massive comforter, even on the hottest nights (though I always leave my feet free. Those get hot). I also brush before I eat (I don’t know if that’s the norm or if I’m in the minority).

Anyone else?

I started wearing sunglasses indoors while recovering from eye surgery. I don’t really need them anymore, but I still wear them out of habit. It has the added bonus of me feeling like a pretty cool guy whenever I see my own reflection.

I also adopt phrases that sound ridiculous to be ironic or silly, and after awhile they become part of my proper vocabulary and I use them unintentionally and without irony.

Examples: Do what now? Hella ______. What the dillio?

I’m sure I can come up with more weird habits if I think about it, as most people don’t really notice their own idiosyncrasies.

• CommentAuthorGolcondio

I usually drum on whatever surface I find, to the great annoyance of those who’re near me: that’s why A few months ago I decided to study percussions! I wanted to study the tabla, but I don’t have 30 years to spare, so I settled for west-african traditional drums (djembe and the like).
    I don’t specifically brush my teeth before meals, but I do use mouthwash anytime I feel I’m getting coffin breath: if only my colleagues would do the same…
    I tend to pun a lot, then end up explaining them every signle time, whih kinda detracts from the fun…
    I also consciously try to use new, seldom-used words, especially in English: why say “look” when you can say “behold”?

I drum on everything, too. I also crack my knuckles and fingers and stuff tons. I can also crack my toes and if I punch out I can sometimes crack my elbows. Other things crack from time to time. I am aiming to be the best cracker ever, though I don't want to ever try that neck crack thing some people do cos it really looks and sounds like it causes serious damage.

I am aiming to be the best cracker ever

But can you crack your knuckles by making a fist? That is a pro technique, although I guess it’s my only pro technique, since I can’t crack any of those other parts on purpose.

You mean just by clenching your fists your knuckles automatically crack? That does sound pretty pro. A friend somehow cracks by pushing up on the side of his hand under his thumb and down on bridge between thumb and pointy finger at the same time, if that explanation made sense.

It's not cracking, but I can also flick my wrist to smack my pointy and middle fingers together to make slapping sounds that's a bit like how people do one-handed clapping really fast.
    • CommentAuthorGolcondio

All of my joints crack! If I keep my hand still for 5-10 minutes, my fingers will crack as soon as I clench my fist, so I’m a pro in that respect… I don’t like to do it, especially on my neck, but it’s that or be painfully stuck into awkward/painful/movement-impairing joint configurations. In the morning, just getting out of bed is a cracking symphony, then I have to pull on my left wrist to unstick my elbow and be able to move my forearm to its full extent without pain…

Damn I'm not as good as I thought I was. You've certainly got me beat by a mile (though i should be saying kilometre). But maybe it's a good thing I don't crack that much. It apparently leads to or helps you get arthritis, but I think that's a lie people tell to stop people cracking because it creeps them out.
    • CommentAuthorGolcondio
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2009

From what I’ve managed to understand (what with being a doctor’s son and so on…), the cracking is due to air bubbles, trapped in the spaces between bones and tendons and miscellaneous orgsnic matter, collapsing. It has a great deal to do with cavitation (which is a very BAD thing that can happen to pumps, turbine, impellers and the like), but the fact that we are made of living, self-repairing tissue should somewhat mitigate the damage, if any is done.
    It’s, of course, better if you don’t, but personally I don’t think I want to live NOW (I’m still technically young) with constant pain for fear of getting arthritis when I’m older. Hell, I might get it anyway (my mum’s got it and she never so much as popped a finger joint in her life!), so screw it!

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

It has the added bonus of me feeling like a pretty cool guy whenever I see my own reflection.

Paraphrasing Bono: “there are two types of people who wear sunglasses at night: blind people and jerks.” XD

I shake my legs, a lot. Yes, I am one of those irritating people that do it at the table. D:

I'm a doctor's son too and it's this doctor who hates that I crack and tells me I'll get arthritis.

Yes! I am also a leg shaker. Something my doctor mother also hates.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Another leg shaker here.
    I also like to use as many obscure references and quotes as possible in casual speech, especially if no-one will understand them.

• CommentAuthorGolcondio

Leg shaker here too… OMG I never realised I was such a freak!!!

Bah, wtf, I’m happy enough not tp care much… ;)

Leg shaker, pen clicker, and table drummer am I.

And it gets worse as I will randomly start irish dancing with my hands as demonstrated in following video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s51aD0_HMk

I drum on hard surfaces all the time.
    After I got my braces, I started licking my teeth all the time, which can be quite embarrassing. Say, for instance, you’re staring out into space, and someone (perhaps unintentionally) and you run your tongue slowly over your teeth. Yeah, quite awkward.
    I always have a song in my head. Not necessarily stuck, buy it’s always in there somewhere. That’s all I can think of for now… ;)

• CommentAuthorGolcondio

Oh, yeah? I build rhythms with hands, feet and TEETH (yeah, clickety-clack); if I’m driving, I use bumps in the road or direction indicators as metronomes…

@rikkitikkitavi: are you in the video, or is it just an example?

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

No matter if I’m lying in bed or sitting or standing, I pretty much constantly move my feet, tapping or shuffling or shifting my weight from one foot to the other. It compensates for customary lack of movement in every other part of my body. :P I also regularly walk and talk in my sleep. Hopefully so far I’ve not said anything embarrassing, because my sisters get a kick out of listening to me.

@Golcondio: Yes, I am Suzanne Collins. Ha.....I wish. Naw that ain't me....

I always twirl my hair. My family thinks it’s the most annoying thing. And I sing.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

I also like to play with my hair. It makes everyone think it needs to be cut.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

I have a nervous tic of constantly hooking my hair behind my ear. I talk to myself constantly, and hold regular conversations with my lamp. (Don’t judge me, don’t judge me! I’m mostly sane! Well, sometimes!)

And much to my shame, the Hoedown Throwdown is currently stuck in my head. Jeni, this is all your fault. GERROFF ME GERROFF ME GERROFF ME.

•  
      CommentAuthorRandomX2

Hey, now I feel a lot less insecure about the leg shaking :)

and hold regular conversations with my lamp.

It’s impossible NOT to find that one a little weird. Have you been to a psychiatrist recently? Not implying anything, of course >.>

And hey, the Tabla only took me like a year to get down properly (two lessons a week). It’s actually very fun to pretend to play it on a table or hard surface. Minus the stares I usually get.

• CommentAuthorGolcondio
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2009 edited

You’d be amazed at the regrettable lack of tabla players in an Italian city at the Slovenian border…

Plus, traditional west-african music is not meant to be played alone, so that means you NEED to have fun with other ppl… It’s extremely rewarding and fun!

I sing to myself when I walk down deserted streets.

And if I cry, I always stop in the middle of it and look at my mirror to see if I look convincing enough to act it out for a camera. I don’t know why. Inner drama queen, I guess.

I am forever touching my fringe.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2009

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

@ Steph: “I sing to myself when I walk down deserted streets.”

me too! I also talk to myself when alone but (I think) I’m not crazy. I mkostly sing thw two Boradway musicals I like best, ‘JC Superstar’ and ‘War Of The Worlds’. When I’m takling, it’s usually worldbuilding stuff, or sometimes pretending I’m being interviewed about my work, and thus forcing myself to justify particular details of my world.

I have a very mild form of OCD, so I do things like obsessively pick at my fingernails until there’s literally nothing that I’m able to pick at (i.e., right down to where the nail is attached to the skin). I also occasionally start ding something random like rubbing my knee, but have to mentally really work to stop doing it. Sometimes it’s a real struggle to stop something.

@ Taku: For me it’s Brooke Fraser, the songs from PotO, or my own.

i.e., right down to where the nail is attached to the skin

You know, I’ve seriously always wondered what that looked like.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Please don’t post pictures! I don’t want to see.

I do, actually.

Oh my gosh, I do lots of those things!
    I constantly talk to my self when i’m alone (which is actually quite often because I’m an only child) or really upset. I’m also a leg shaker, I pick at my fingernails until there’s nothing left to pick at, and there’s always a song in my head.
    I also eat all the time especially when i’m bored or reading which essentially is all the time. I didn’t realise I was such a freak! (sobs in a corner)

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

It’s impossible NOT to find that one a little weird. Have you been to a psychiatrist recently? Not implying anything, of course >.>

It doesn’t answer back, though! D:

...mostofthetime…

<<
    >>

Nah, it’s more like me talking to myself, except directed…not at myself, but at a lamp? That just makes it sound worse. XD

I also have mild OCD tendencies. They get worse when I’m stressed or bored.

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark

I find it really hard to sit still; I’m a frequent leg shaker and surface tapper. While listening to music I always follow the percussion with my toes, feet, or teeth. When I’m thinking about story ideas I have to be pacing, it’s nearly impossible for me to think about plots when I’m not moving. :o

I also have some nervous tics but since they’re involuntary they don’t really count.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

Ah yeah, I forgot about the leg shaking. Yeah, I’m a leg-shaker too.

Funny thing is, if I shake my leg at the right frequency, I can actually disrupt my sense of space and get vertigo.

I'm a leg shaker too. I also tend not to chew, but to bite the end of a pen or pencil during school.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Oh yesh, I have an unconscious obsession with putting things in my mouth, especially the ends of pencils that I’m writing with. And if there’s a piece of paper around that’s never been folded, I have to distress it in some way. It can’t just sit there so crisply. It’s too tempting.

I have to have my feet covered up to sleep. I pull the blanket up to my chin and can’t sleep if my arms are out. I straighten things a lot. When sitting still, I bounce my leg up and down. When I’m excited about what I’m talking about, I think I get an adrenaline rush because I get all shaky. I like to touch surfaces with both hands to even it out. I have the aggressive conversations I would like to have with people in my head instead because I don’t want to fight, but I do imagine how they would react. When I pass people when walking, I put my hair behind my ears.

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark

@NeuroticPlatypus

I’m the total opposite, I need my feet uncovered to sleep. Arms can be either way.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I’m the same as Northmark, unless its below freezing, I keep my feet out, and I just lay on my stomach with my limbs hanging wherever.

I can never figure out what to do when I’m just walking around. I hate catching eye contact with someone because then I go all awkward. Especially if they happen to be my age and male.

I also eat all the time especially when i’m bored or reading which essentially is all the time. I didn’t realise I was such a freak! (sobs in a corner)

comes and sobs with you

I have to have the light switches at the correct positions.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2009

^^ Agreed! They must all be going the right way- down for off, up for on. It drives me crazy that for some reason one of several lightswitches that controls our living room lights goes the wrong way. hyperventilates

• CommentAuthorEric

On the topic of light switches, whenever I enter the bathroom to take a shower, I flip the light switch, regardless of whether or not the light is already on. Only when I go to take a shower, though.

I feel the need to touch anything that is blue if it isn’t a cloth-like material, especially if it is also shiny. I know that sounds dumb, but I do. And most of the time I will touch it if no one is looking.

I have to move in some way or another, whether it be leg-shaking or just twiddling my thumbs.

I’m also double-jointed in my arms, and, much to the disgust of others, I have to bend them as far out as possible when I stretch because I don’t get the “feel good” sensation from stretching otherwise.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I CANNOT stand the feel of dry glass or porcelain, especially if my fingertips are very dry. It’s such a dreadful feeling! shudder If my hands are well-moisturized and the cup/plate/whatever isn’t too dry (like it’s a fairly humid day or something), I’m OK, but otherwise… ugh. Can’t stand it. I only use plastic cups, unless I’m eating supper with the family or something.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Har har, my knees bend backwards quite a lot further than most people’s, so it’s quite fun to creep people out that way. :D

Har har, my knees bend backwards quite a lot further than most people’s, so it’s quite fun to creep people out that way. :D

I’m creeped out just by reading that o_O

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2009

Mission accomplished, then.

I’m very skittish. Like, seriously. It verges on paranoia.

• CommentAuthorUn-Dante'd
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2009 edited

I am always moving, be it my ankles rotating or my fingers tapping or doing a little jig. I’m frequently asked if I have to use the bathroom.
    I can dislocate my shoulders at will, and my left hip can pop out somewhat (like gripping your index finger and rotating it into the rest of your hand, the way the joint pops). My eyebrows are in almost constant motion, and I get a twitch on the left side of my face, like I’m about to smile.
    Can crack my jaw.
    Whistle and hum randomly.
    I go “Ch-ch-chhh ch-ch-chhh” when I’m idle.
    I broke my left clavicle, so I have a large lump there.
    I can move my ears up and down.
    My left ankle cracks whenever I take a step.
    I’m really just a lot like Northmark. I read somewhere that the movements are common in teenagers, because the part of our brains that houses motor skills is rewiring.
    And, that’s all that I can think of right now.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Haha, I can bend the tips of my fingers, it is quite fun to creep people out. :D

@ Puppet
    I know a guy who can hit his finger on a table and the joint bends backwards.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

It drives me crazy that for some reason one of several lightswitches that controls our living room lights goes the wrong way. hyperventilates

It means that someone wired the switch the wrong way round, the live cable goes into the L1 bit. :P

@ swenson
    Or when the light switches are all in different modes, but the lights still on or off. I have two switches for each light, and it bothers me when they’re all wonky like that.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

That’s a hazard with two-way lights. Can’t have it all ways. ;)

Well, there’s three in a row, and I like them to be all the same way, and then there’s two in a row, and I like them to be the opposite way as the triplets.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2009

The paper I draw on must be blank on both sides. :P

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

When posting backgrounds or pictures, I like everything to fade to a single color, so it ‘floats’ in my screen, without any ugly borders and lines.

When I’m waiting in the car or waiting for someone to pick me up, I sing. Mostly Disney songs and Broadway musicals. I always sing “Reflection” first, so when I needed to audition with a song, I sang that.

I don’t just shake my legs, I also squeeze my muscles. By that, I mean that I tighten them and loosen them. My thigh and butt muscles are easiest, but if I look in a mirror I have an urge to flex my abs.

Also, if I look in a mirror, I must straighten my posture.

I can look into my own eyes or the eyes of other people’s for hours.

I cannot use the Internet without going on a site that is not school-related. I just… can’t.

I will randomly get up and eat something during homework. Also, I have to regularly get up and walk around to not fall asleep in class. (I disguise this fact by getting up and getting tissues. No one realizes this because I usually need the tissues anyway.)

I cannot go without reading for more than a few minutes, even if that reading is a cereal box. If I wake up in the morning and see a book, I will read that book (this is not helped by the bookshelves so helpfully placed next to my bed).

I used to sleep with the covers up to my chin, too. I had a weird childish paranoia that armless aliens would come and take all the children who had arms, and so I hid my arms under the blankets. I also sleep with a heavy comforter, unless it is both humid and over eighty degrees (like it was last night). Sometimes, I may sleep with only the comforter, no sheets, and in winter I layer my blankets carefully in a certain order, adding several quilts and fleece blankets in between the sheets.

Also, all my books on my bookshelves must be in the order of how much I like the series or book. Within the series, they must be in chronological order. My mom tried to take the shelves out (she put the books back later), but now it’s out of order and it annoys me to no end. You try organizing two bookshelves!

If I’m in the car and I see a crack in the road, I lift my feet ever so slightly – it’s corollary to the “step on a crack” superstition.

I can’t wear a necklace without playing with it. I don’t like rings because I’m worried they will fall off and I won’t notice (after I take a ring off, I have a “phantom” ring for a few hours where I feel it even though it’s not there).

This is the short list of quirks I have. Yes.

I also cannot go on the internet without going somewhere that doesn’t have to do with my homework or whatever.

When I’m waiting in the car or waiting for someone to pick me up, I sing.

Haha, I do too.

During car trips, I blink in sync with the lines on the road.

•  
      CommentAuthorAdamPottle

Add another leg shaker to the list. I also must have my glasses as clean as possible at all times and my hair in proper order, even when at home with nothing to do in public.

My glasses also must be clean as possible. I don’t understand how people can stand having filthy glasses; it’s like trying to see through a fog of filth.

I wear pants. I never wear shorts. If I am wearing shorts, something terrible is/has happening/happened.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I read my books front to back, left to right, top to bottom.

Are they in English?

I always read magazines from back to front. I wish I could pin it the tendency on reading manga, but I was doing it that way years before I’d even heard of manga.

I can’t let other people put my glasses on my face. They just do it the wrong way, and it feels weird.

I can’t let other people put my glasses on my face. They just do it the wrong way, and it feels weird.

:D I know! Or D:. It’s like they’re always poking me in the wrong places and they don’t put them on the right way.

I always have to take them off and put them back on myself, haha.

That’s what I do.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Are they in English?

Yes.

Yeah I have the glasses thing to. I’m sure its fairly universal.

Yes.

Well, then that’s insane!

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Well, then that’s insane!

I thought as much.

:P

I’m beyond ticklish.

I’m not ticklish at all, but if people tickle me I either a) fake it or b) get a placebo effect where I laugh because I know I should be ticklish.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2009

I cannot use the Internet without going on a site that is not school-related. I just… can’t.

Ditto to that. Can’t.

My thumbs are double-jointed. I can also rotate my left wrist and hand 360 degrees.

@Elanor

>I can also rotate my left wrist and hand 360 degrees 180 degrees both ways.

Fixed.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I am deathly ticklish. Good thing I’m the strongest in the family.

My thumbs are double-jointed.

So are mine.

• CommentAuthorkaikaikat

I'm a big time hair-twirler. Especially when I find a super-silky lock. It drives my mom crazy.

When I'm doing homework or taking tests, I tap my pencil. It's like I can't concentrate without a rhythm in the background.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2009 edited

When speaking on the phone, I have to be pacing around. I just cannot sit still.. unless I’m on some really lengthy conversation, which rarely happens.

Also when playing games or doing something, there needs to be TV in the background. I’ll put in some Simpsons and then go play something just so there’s noise. However, it can’t be music, nor while I’m reading.

@Virgil

>When speaking on the phone, I have to be pacing around. I just cannot sit still..

Ditto.

When speaking on the phone, I have to be pacing around.

Same here. I can’t sit still for a very long time either…

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2009

@Dan—Nuh-uh, it goes all the way around. :P

I’ve developed the leg-shaking habit.

@Elanor

No! That’s impossible!

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Pics or it didn’t happen, Elanor.

I’m getting random hives right now. Fun fun.

I feel for you, Snow White Queen. I get red spots at random points. They disappear whenever.

GAHHHH ITCHIES!

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

=(