Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2009

Meh. I’ve never thought he was all that hot, personally.

Also, I think Avocado is an awesomesauce name. It’s pronounceable! :)

Yeah, I don’t see what’s wrong with it.

On behalf of Nate and I, we refuse to be called ‘Snate’. I’m not promoting it, I’m saying the name sucks, so it’s okay.

And what IS RPattz syndrome?

Nate mentioned it on another discussion. Er, I think it’s here.

And ‘Snate’ was all I could come up with at the moment. What else are you supposed to be called? Winchesterleft? Stephwin? Whatwin?

•  
      CommentAuthorSMARTALIENQT
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2009 edited

On behalf of Nate and I, we refuse to be called ‘Snate’. I’m not promoting it, I’m saying the name sucks, so it’s okay.

What else are you supposed to be called?

Phate, obviously.

About the “red mist” several posts back…

I’m a terrible sports player, especially volleyball, but occasionally my eyes will go out of focus and the next thing I know I’ve just executed a perfect spike. This only happens maybe once or twice a year, in once in one game in that year, but it happens. And people who go beserck by taking magic herbs or having some sort of mental defect are really. The “red mist,” though…. nah, I’m not buying or using it.

Phate

Win.

Win.

Thanks!

• CommentAuthorUn-Dante'd

“Phate”

Seconded.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

So, Fight Scenes?

I have a question for fight scenes: if you don’t know anything about swordplay, or indeed any kind of fighting, what do you do? Do you fake it, never make your characters fight, read various novels and pick up their techniques… what?

@ SMARTALIENQT

I’ve just read a bunch and watched a whole crapload of films where swordplay is happening. Fencing would be a good place to start, too. I’m sure there’s a Fencing for Dummies book out there.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Check if your library has this

I have a question for fight scenes: if you don’t know anything about swordplay, or indeed any kind of fighting, what do you do? Do you fake it, never make your characters fight, read various novels and pick up their techniques… what?

There are a number of various internet fora that discuss the more technical aspects of fighting, along with the methods already mentioned. Of course, it may discourage you from using some of the ideas that appeal to you(icepick grip doesn’t work with full-sized swords ;_;) but it’s still useful to know.

I’ll post links later if I can dig up the ones I’ve used so far.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

Lesson learned from Paolini: don’t try to fake it. If you know nothing about swordplay, don’t try to write it, or the reader who do know about swordplay will shun you for it.

I’m a very immersive writer, I have to experience certain things before I’m willing to write about them. Swordfighting is one of them.

• CommentAuthorRocky

bq. if you don’t know anything about swordplay, or indeed any kind of fighting, what do you do? Do you fake it, never make your characters fight, read various novels and pick up their techniques… what?

Research is your best friend, and it really isn't that hard. My basic rule is to understand the intent of the fight (lethal or non-lethal). If it's lethal, you can get away with little combat knowledge by emphasizing strikes toward vital points like the throat, stomach, or solar plexis. My stories tend to revolve around brawls, so a basic knowledge of self-defense and essentially moves that focus on PUTTIN TEH HERT ON.

Phate.

I completely give up on you guys.

I completely give up on you guys.

YAY! Steph gives up! That means we are free to ship them as much as we want! throws sparkly confetti in the air

• CommentTimeAug 21st 2009

Hooray!

Man, I don’t have anything to ship but “Phate.”

Man, I don’t have anything to ship but “Phate.”

Make up more. It doesn’t matter if they have any canon support as long as they have clever portmanteaus.

Ooh, ooh!

(In the style of “My Immortal) I’ve figured one out….....................SansaSmart! It sounds like an electronic! Or Cutiefro!

Don’t pair me with her. She’s mean.

Stephchester
    Natanie (Stephanie and Nate combined)
    Stenate
    Naste (Nah-stee)

I like Naste. :D

Quick! We need more crack pairings couples! And portmanteaus!

Uh, Jeni…Jeni and….Lord Snow! Yeah! Lord—-uh, no.

I’m out of ideas. I’ll just pair Un-Dante’d with anyone. It’ll work somehow.

Uh, Jeni…Jeni anbq。d….Lord Snow! Yeah! Lord—-uh, no

Lord Joe?

I thought along the lines of things like “LordJen,” “Jenlord,” “Jennow.”

P. S. Smartante?

Jesno!
    Lol, if you want to pair me up, I’m male.

Should I make a shipping thread?

Wouldn’t be a bad idea, just to try and limit spillover.

Ahem. Yes. Back on fight stuff.
    Take wrestling or some such, it teaches you a LOT about close-quarters.

•  
      CommentAuthorZombie Devin
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2009 edited

Fencing would be a good place to start, too. I’m sure there’s a Fencing for Dummies book out there.

Using a book about modern fencing to familiarize oneself with sword techniques is a bad idea. Fencing is a game, with the goal of scoring points. For Japanese sword technique (kendo), I would recommend Miyamoto Musashi: His Life And Writings. Musashi was one of, if not the best, Japanese swordsmen, and the book includes a translation of his “Book of Five Rings”. I don’t know as much about European or Asian sword, but I’m sure there are books.

Gorin no Sho had a lot more about philosophy and life in general than actual specific sword techniques. You could sum most of it up with “The Way is in everything. You must practice diligently.”

I suppose Musashi would be better for someone who is wants to write more in depth about martial arts. I can’t find any online diagrams for techniques. :(

He’s still totally worth reading, if only to get a feel for how to approach combat at the macro level. Fire/Water have some more specific advice on the subject, but they’re still pretty esoteric even then.

A few points I have picked up along the way about armed fighting:
    1) Fights are over QUICKLY with a sword. It’s not like what you see in a film, it’s more circle circle BAM somebody’s down. (This only applies without armour. I have no idea how fights work with armour)
    2) You don’t have to kill someone to win a fight. You can take someone out with a chop to the arm, you don’t have to aim for vitals. Of course, once someone is down, you could finish them off easily if you wanted to.
    3) Different weapons are nothing like each other. You are not going to be able to, say, fight properly with a scimitar if all your training up to that point has been with a double edged straight sword coughcoughEragoncoughcough. Also, weapons develop into a specific role. A curved blade, such as a katana, is good against unarmoured enemies. Against someone in armour, you want something pointy and rigid, or blunt like a warhammer. A slashing weapon will just bounce right off (unless you can hit an unarmoured point, which is pretty hard to do unless you can take time to line up the blow, which is pretty unlikely in a fight)
    4) Using a bow in a small fight against more than one (or possibly two, if you can draw fast or have a range advantage) opponent is highly stupid. bows don’t fire that fast, and are pretty much useless for defence. If you were fighting with a bow, you’d want to take a shot, then drop your bow and draw whatever backup weapon you had.

If anybody thinks I’ve got anything wrong, please feel free to correct me.

Going for joints in armor pretty much required a piercing weapon anyway – a firm, straight sword, preferably. The primary joints were at the knee, elbow, and armpit, and good luck managing to land a hit well enough with a slash to do damage.

1) Fights are over QUICKLY with a sword. It’s not like what you see in a film, it’s more circle circle BAM somebody’s down. (This only applies without armour. I have no idea how fights work with armour)

That only applies if one or both combatants are using the same techniques to fight the unarmored fight as they would if they were wearing armor; that is to say, large swings with a lot of strength behind them, more value placed on offense than on defense, etc. If they both realize that they could very easily die from being hit once, and still need to fight each other, they assume a fighting posture more like this (from our school’s website). More cuts are made to the hands, and attacks are made advancing and retreating. These fights usually last about 2-10 minutes in my experience.

2) You don’t have to kill someone to win a fight. You can take someone out with a chop to the arm, you don’t have to aim for vitals. Of course, once someone is down, you could finish them off easily if you wanted to.

Absolutely. In fact, a solid cut to the inside of the arm or leg can be a fatal blow, there are major arteries in there.

A curved blade, such as a katana, is good against unarmoured enemies. Against someone in armour, you want something pointy and rigid, or blunt like a warhammer. A slashing weapon will just bounce right off (unless you can hit an unarmoured point, which is pretty hard to do unless you can take time to line up the blow, which is pretty unlikely in a fight)

A katana isn’t really that much different from a European sword is this respect. Neither are a good weapon against someone in a full suit of 15th century plate armor. The best method when using a sword against armor isn’t to stab through the joints (hitting the armpit requires moving into range of their attacks to your head, elbows are mobile, and you can’t hit the knee joints from the front), but to knock them down with a series of blows, then kill them when they’re down. A katana is a very bad choice in this situation not because it is primarily a slashing weapon, but because it is sharp, rigid, and brittle, and will break after a few swings against plate armor. European swords are flexible (they can often bend almost double, and then spring back to their natural state), less sharp, and not as breakable. This makes them better for beating someone down. In fact, against full armor you might even want to try fighting half sword. IMO, the best weapons to use against heavy armor are a war-hammer in your strong hand and a dagger in your off hand. Use the hammer to knock them down, then pin them down, open their visor, and start stabbing the face.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2009

Didn’t most fully-armored knights ride horses and use lances as a primary weapon, anyway? While I feel really, really bad for the horses, full-body plate armor is heavy! You can’t exactly fight for hours on foot in it.

•  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2009

Bumping this thread, because I’d like to ask the more experienced writers here how to write fight scenes that aren’t like this:

Character X does this. Character Y then did that. Character X then did this. Character Y then did that.

My action scenes tend to be like this, and someone commented that I should vary the sentence structure. How do I do that?

I’ve found it helps to weave your PoV character’s thoughts into the reported actions. They don’t need to be complete/coherent thoughts, but it helps add some variety while giving the reader more context.

It’s still really tough, though. My big finale throwdown ended up lasting ~2 chapters, and I had to take lots of enforced breaks for dialogue and thinking, plus what amounts to an intermission.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2009

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2009 edited

Oooo… bookmarking. Thanks, Armourer. I have a paranoid fear of screwing up things like that when I write, because I know someone, somewhere is going to call me out on it, so this is very helpful!

•  
      CommentAuthorLilan Jaku
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2010

again, too lazy to read the other comments but a great book for fight scenes and martial art is Seirei no Moribito (Guardian of the Spirit) by Nahoko Uehashi
    • CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2010

I'll have to research this, as one of my short stories is about a battle, and there's this big swordfight scene between the opposing leaders. But neither of them dies, though one ends up knocked out.