Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2009 edited

Van Von Hunter ROCKED. (I even have all 3 manga) but they seem to have stopped updating.

It did! And I loved it! And they didn’t even provide a conclusion or anything!

Also, more OOTS.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2009

I forget- why didn’t he get any XP from them? (I need to reread all of OOTS... I’m starting to forget some of the story!)

^^ They’re probably too low level.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2009

Hey folks, I just thought I would update (because I can, glee!) but a while back I added Slightly Damned to my list, and I’m really enjoying it. I always saw it in the top ten on TWC so I finally poked and had a go.

It’s really fun and… fun! It only updates once and week, and I can’t work out why it gets so many votes, but it’s a really enjoyable story about… I’m not sure yet, but it involves a “special” demon and his friends. ^^

•  
      CommentAuthorFalling
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2009

Webcomics I read/ am reading

Shamus Young: (I find he is rather insightful in finding the ridiculous.)
    DM of the Rings
    Stolen Pixels
    Chainmail Bikini (re-released)

Order of the Stick
    Darth and Droids
    Dungeons and Denizens
    Erfworld
    The Dreamer

So generally game related, particularly role playing related.

•  
      CommentAuthorLeliel
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2009

I read

Penny Arcade
    Questionable Content
    Dr. McNinja
    Gunnerkrigg Court
    PVP Online
    Dinosaur Comics
    xkcd
    Johnny Wander (cutest. basilisk. ever! in the current storytime)
    The Zombie Hunters
    8-Bit Theater
    VG Cats

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2009 edited

I can’t believe I forgot to mention Kagerou.

PLEASE NOTE: this comic contains mature content (read as explicit sex scene). It also deals heavily with mental illnesses of all sorts. Prepare to alternately be disturbed, offended, and/or enjoy the trip.

The colors! * __ * The colors!

I have finally read every single Girl Genius strip! Granted, it took me two weeks of daily reading, but it was worth it.

I feel accomplished. :)

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2010

Here’s an amusing writerly comic that just sprung up: Bo’s Cafe Life.

It made me laugh. :3

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2010

I’ve ditched Cyanide and Happiness for xkcd. C+H had its moments but the buggy site and only one funny strip a week did it for me.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2010

xkcd is awesome incarnate.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Indeed it is.

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow

My fave is still A Girl and Her Fed. Xkcd is good, but some of the math jokes are too complicated for this poor history major :P

I’m finally caught up with A Girl and Her Fed and Girl Genius, which is good, because my stupid overprotective and irrational firewall hates OotS.

I’m finally caught up with A Girl and Her Fed and Girl Genius, which is good, because my stupid overprotective and irrational firewall hates OotS.

It blocks Order of the Stick, but allows Girl Genius?!

It blocks Order of the Stick, but allows Girl Genius?!

I said it was irrational. It also blocks such evil Google searches as “48/18”, as in “48 divided by 18.”

Getting into Freakangels. Three episodes in, and I’m already liking the characters (especially KK).

•  
      CommentAuthorTheArmourer
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2011 edited

Tarquin is awesome. Evil, but awesome. For you who do not read Oots his awesome starts here.
    This is his most awesome moment

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2011

What! No, no, no. Nothing can compare to the sheer evil awesome of this moment.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Both of which are trumped by this particular strip.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Oh, well, if we’re going for CMOF in the entire strip…

...then I can’t think of one at the moment. But some of the running gags are awesome, like Durkon’s trees.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

I’ll bite. How about this?

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I always liked Haley’s reaction in the last panel here.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

Actually, now that I’ve re-read some of the early strips, Durkon’s reaction here is pretty good too.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2011

To get away from the funnies this one always makes me tear up.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

:(

Now you’re going to make me all sad and weepy and stuff. I’ll have to quickly keep reading so I can overcome the sadness… wait, where did my afternoon go? CURSE YOU, JENI!

Xkcd is good, but some of the math jokes are too complicated for this poor history major :P

Yeah, I really like the Xkcd comics that I get, but I feel kind of dumb when I don’t understand.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

That’s why I love Irregular Webcomic so much. It still has the jokes (some of which are even more difficult to understand than xkcd’s), but they’re all well-explained in the annotations underneath, in terms that make a whole lot more sense than any textbook or professor.

• CommentAuthorMnemone
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2011

FreakAngels (Warren Ellis FOR FREE freakangels.com)

Family Man (lutherlevy.com)

Nathan Sorry (richbarrett.com/nathansorry/)

Bucko! (buckocomic.com)

Derelict (derelictcomic.com)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

I read Negative One, Brawl in the Family, Awkard Zombie, Cucumber Quest, Boumeries, Johnny Wander, Dr. Cat, and Cat Versus Human.

O_O I never realized I read so many.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Heh. I have seventeen that I follow in Google Reader, but I also follow Irregular Webcomic (which is only rerunning strips now :(), Sinfest, and Darths & Droids on a regular basis, and I’ll run through Cynaide & Happiness and Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal on occasion. Of course, not all of the comics I follow update all that often.

does sonichu count as a webcomic

it is my favorite one

I can only watch the vivitheg version.

yeah, that one is the best version but i can still enjoy the comics themselves even without the genius narration/music

I never used to do webcomics, but now I follow xkcd, Head Trip, Hark! A Vagrant, and Fey Winds (I can’t recommend this one highly enough).

I’m irregularly archive bingeing on Irregular Webcomic, Red Moon Rising, Dominic Deegan, and The Adventures of Doctor McNinja.

bq. The Adventures of Doctor McNinja.

"I'M BEN FRANKLIN!"

OMG I MUST HAVE THIS

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

•  
      CommentAuthorBeldam
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2012

Is that…Dr Mcninja?

...what heinous expirement has he been subjected to now?

I guess Kirby ate him.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I want that so badly. I would hug it and never let it go.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac

Nate, with that squee, you have forever been imprinted in my mind as a girl.

Just finished Digger. Definitely worth a read.

Nate, with that squee, you have forever been imprinted in my mind as a girl.

That’s what he wants you to think.

...no, I have no idea where I was going with that, carry on.

@ Marquis:

I’ve heard it’s good. Started it a while ago and didn’t get further than perhaps page 20. What were the good bits?

I have learned to love Awesome hospital.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2012

Fun fact: Dr. Fanfic is an evil scientist, too.

NATHAN FILLION.

.. um, carry on. I have to read that webcomic now.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2012

Ya know, I kinda wish Harry had been a little more like this when he first met Draco.

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2012 edited

•  
      CommentAuthorWulfRitter
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2012

Harry being a little more like that would have been pretty fantastic.

This.

“I am a complete moron. That’s why I’m so good at it! It’s postmodernism!” That was pretty epic.

Bahaha yes!

So, I love webcomics. They’re like regular comics except they’re free and made by amateurs, so you can actually watch people experiment and learn as they go through the process of making one. Here are a few that I like that haven’t been mentioned yet, and why you should read them if you ever get a spare day or three.

Gunnerkrigg Court An interesting webcomic about a young girl and her time in a school full of magic beings and robots and the war that divides them. I swear, it’s less like Harry Potter than it sounds. The art style is gorgeous and fits in well with the fantastical mood it tries to give off. It also has some of the best uses of art for a story telling purpose that I’ve seen in a webcomic.
    City of Reality Another really cute webcomic (but not entirely child friendly despite the fact it doesn’t actually have many dark elements) about a utopia and it’s interaction with the rest of the world. Kind of a nice switch from the usual darky darkness that’s so common in any webcomic anymore.
    DrowTales One of those darky darkness comics I was just complaining about. Ignoring that massive 14 page prologue, I love this comic. I know it should be a guilty pleasure considering the number of dark and gritty things thrown in for the sake of it, but the art is lovely (despite it’s anatomy and perspective issues) and I kind of love the characters. It’s even one of the few political fantasy stories I can stand to follow. It’s not going to be everyone’s cup of tea, but it’s still one of my favorites for god knows what reason.
    WereGeek Another one that’s kind of cute. I don’t like how lazy the author can be on her art, but the story itself is cute and I kind of have to love it for being a story about geeks that lacks the usual “Oh woe is us we are sure persecuted by everyone else in the world!” feeling to it.
    Awkward Zombie A pretty funny gamer comic. The only one that has never suffered Cerebus Symdrome. Yet another art style I’ve grown to love.
    Fanboyz Yet another gamer humor comic. This one has suffered Cerebus Syndrome, but the characters are interesting enough to pull it off well.
    Manly Men Doing Manly Things Hey look, ANOTHER gamer comic. These things pop up like dandelions. And some of those dandelions are hilarious.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2012

I sincerely hope AZ never goes all Cerberus Syndrome on us. It’s way too hilarious and occasionally adorable for that.

And Manly Men Doing Manly Things! I don’t regularly read that thing, but every time I come across one of the pages, they’re always hilarious.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2012

What is Cerberus Syndrome?

When a show or book inexplicably gets darker.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2012

Oh.

I dunno, AZ did get more bloody recently.

Usually, it happens to comic works, since I think that as a writer tries to do longer story arcs, it becomes easier to write more serious stories. Or it becomes harder to keep it funny while writing a long story. Whatever.

It is also specifically spelled CEREBUS, named after Dave Sim’s twenty-seven-year, 300-issue epic about a barbarian aardvark who looks like this, more or less:

You can read more about Cerebus Syndrome here

Yeah, but who actually reads Cerebus anymore? :P The only reason anyone in this generation knows it exists is from TVTropes.

And the syndrome is less about something going from light hearted to dark so much as comedy to serious. While it can be pulled off well (See: Order of the Stick), sometimes the author just plain can not make it work. See, the infamous Ctrl-Alt-Del miscarriage arc or Funky Winkerbean’s cancer arc.

Doing my annual reread of Girl Genius.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2012 edited

Was Funky Winkerbean ever not soul-crushingly depressing, though? Every time I read anything about it, it’s always about how bleak life is or something. Although I mostly just read about it from Comics Alliance’s monthly article on the month’s most depressing Funky Winkerbean/Crankshaft comics.

I don’t think Cerebus Syndrome is necessarily a bad thing, by the way. While often it is (because something goes from witty and light-hearted to horrible and depressing just because), it can work pretty well. Take for example Red vs. Blue, which went from a complete lack of seriousness to a complex, dramatic storyline that honestly has made me cry. Some people might say this is abandoning the roots of the show, which in many cases Cerebus Syndrome is, with RvB it was really more about the show maturing. It’s still a hilarious show, it’s just it has drama in it too now. Or take Discworld, which started off as a hilarious parody of fantasy and ended up a still-hilarious but often also serious ordinary fantasy series (by which I mean “not entirely parody anymore; Discworld is by no means ordinary fantasy!).

And then there’s times that Cerebus Syndrome is altogether horrible. Like with the Trope Namer.

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2012 edited

Here’s a link to an imgur album containing my favorite webcomic right now, Tails Gets Trolled. (Warning: Some extreme violence and bad words so it’s NSFW)

I found this comic on Something Awful. It had its own thread, which began as a mock thread like the kind they have for Ctrl+Alt+Delete and Dominic Deegan and other bad comics, under the assumption that it was just a prototypical weird and awful video game crossover revenge comic drawn in MS Paint and slapped on Deviantart. It is that, but it’s also… inexplicably good? This steady realization eventually turned the hate thread into a love thread.

So anyway, it’s by a pretty cool weirdo with a bizarre talent for storytelling named Lazerbot, and it’s about Sega and Nintendo characters fighting battles against THE TROLLS. If you’re not at work or around small children, give it a few chapters’ worth of a chance. You may fall in love with it too.

for reals you guys its like the game of thrones of shitty deviantart comics check it out

edit samples:

oh god bugs in that last panel

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2012

They can’t troll you if they’re dead. XD

Nice. The spelling though…embreaded donkey?

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

OK, that is actually weirdly amusing. And it will entertain me during class today; I’ll try not to laugh too hard. Classes in compiler construction aren’t known for their comedic content, so I might get a few funny looks.

EDIT: “sir we found justen bever consert flyers on the internet we should get ready”

“its a trap shadow set this up to draw us in. i know i read bevers blog”

Question: Why on earth does the leader of the trolls read Justin Beiber (sorry, justen bever)‘s blog?!

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

Dominic Deegan and other bad comics

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187

The spelling though…embreaded donkey?

The horrible spelling and grammar are part of its charm!

OK, that is actually weirdly amusing.

I’m telling you, it’s not a joke when I say TGT is awesome.

Question: Why on earth does the leader of the trolls read Justin Beiber (sorry, justen bever)‘s blog?!

I think it’s half plot device, half comedy. There are actual funny jokes told on purpose in there, in addition to the obvious unintentional hilarity. It ends up creating a weird atmosphere where you wonder if the entire thing isn’t just a crazy-elaborate internet joke, or whether Lazerbot is some kind of savant. I’m pretty sure he’s real, personally.

That said, you could probably interpret that line as the Troll King keeping tabs on justen bever for the sake of trolling intel, but I think it’s way funnier to just assume he reads it for his own entertainment.

NO.

What?

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

What?

long-term DD fan here. Knock the seer, I knock you.

Just kidding, I know the series has many, many flaws, author-suism one of the biggest, but I can’t help but enjoy it. Complex politics, a fairly original set of societies, an ninteresting take on magic and the deeper forces of the universe, and storylines always offer a little bit of everything, never ‘too much’ of one genre-element.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac

What Taku said. It’s also really interesting to see how it’s evolved from fish-dropping-on-head jokes to a more serious story, without the dreaded Cerberus syndrome.

Welp, we’ll just agree to disagree and let it go.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

I liked the literary puns and alliterations, and it’s nice to occasionally see he hasn’t completely lost the humourous edge the comic began with. He’s much better these days at balancing drama and humour, although I do repeat that there are (many) times when Dominic becomes something of an author-insert Stu. Still, it’s all in fun, and I admit myself hooked.

This right here is me looking at the “Talk Mad Shit” button and not pushing it. I feel so mature.

I, too, am sorely tempted by the “Talk Mad Shit” Button when it comes to Dominic Deegan

Took a look at Tails Gets Trolled. You’re right, it is addicting for all the wrong reasons. Each bit just gets more and more… silly. And jarring. Those things don’t go together, author.

Took a look at Tails Gets Trolled. You’re right, it is addicting for all the wrong right reasons.

FTFY. If you still think TGT is only “so bad it’s good,” you haven’t read enough of it yet.

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2012

The graphic scenes are just hilarious. It’s just red paint splashed everywhere. XD

Yeah, the gore isn’t really Lazerbot’s strong point most of the time. When he wants to illustrate real horror, he’s better off using reaction shots and thousand-yard stares, which are his biggest strengths as an artist IMO. He does lean on those more as the comic progresses, though.

Of course, the real all-stars are the plotting and the characterization(shut up, I’m not making a joke or being ironic).

I’d kind of love to hear what about the plotting is good. The pacing is actually really decent and the expressions are quite fun, but everything else is kind of… um… Sonichu. Still trying to get over the “neutralists”.

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2012 edited

The short answer is that the plot is largely driven by the actions of the characters, rather than forced onto them by Lazerbot, and those actions have real consequences.

Longer, spoiler-filled rambling:

I’ve got to go back to work now, but I’ll write more about it when I get home.

edit Okay, some more rambling:

That is a pretty good point. Almost everything in the comic involves active characters. And the plot twists actually vary a bit and aren’t all in the same category of reveal. I guess a lot of that doesn’t show very well thanks to the bad dialogue and the distracting art. The pacing is good because things happen. There aren’t any chapters that are just… there to be there so far. Maybe the recent ones (chapters 8 and 9), but there might be a reason to have those there as well.

There’s another thing that’s actually good about TGT. It lacks same face syndrome. Maybe that’s because most of the characters are from published works, but even the trolls are distinctive in their looks.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2012

Dominic Deegan is in its last year, set to wrap up sometime around may 2013.

:(

Knowing Mookie, it’ll be a melodramatic hugfest, but it’s still sad. I’ve been following DD regularly for years, pretty much as long as I’ve had regular internet access.

I guess a lot of that doesn’t show very well thanks to the bad dialogue and the distracting art.

That’s part of what makes it so unique, though. You don’t really expect something that looks so weird and ugly to have much value beyond its weirdness and ugliness, but once you start putting thought into it, you realize it does, and the Cognitive Dissonance Express crashes into you with the force of one of the Troll King’s punches.

That said, I think Lazerbot could draw a lot better if he wanted to, but I think he doesn’t want to damage the comic’s unique terrible aesthetic. He’s only been making the comic for a few months, and he’s improved more in that time than some webcomic artists I’m not going to name have in a decade, but most of the improvement shows on the fringes where it doesn’t detract from the feel(stuff like composition and panel arrangement/progression and whatnot).

There’s another thing that’s actually good about TGT. It lacks same face syndrome. Maybe that’s because most of the characters are from published works, but even the trolls are distinctive in their looks.

I agree. Some of that’s because Lazerbot’s a pretty creative guy(even though his comic is filled with characters he didn’t come up with), but I’m not sure if he could draw the same face over and over if he wanted to without weird deviations, partially because he draws with a mouse, and partially because, well, he’s Lazerbot.

Lets throw this whole thing into my guilty pleasure comic pile…

Someday, you’ll be able to fully accept the awesomeness and it’ll just be a regular pleasure with no guilt, but for now, baby steps are good.

Bumping so I can sperg about Tails Gets Trolled developments.

SPOILERS

So yeah, I don’t know how much of this Lazerbot consciously planned and how much is mad improvisational skillz, but I’m pretty sure he’s a genius either way.

This guy I know is doing a webcomic. Problem is, he’s stressed out of his mind about what to do.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2013

Started reading and am now caught up on Weregeek.

Also, thread necromancy!

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2013

The latest page is hilarious, by the way. Not because I am a Doc/Hortense shipper, nosiree.

@swenson – that’s just the smart one to bet on ;-)

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2013

It will happen eventually, mark my words.

I’m reading these lists of webcomics people read and I’m going, ‘wait, that’s all?’

:3

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2013

Anybody heard of Erfworld? It’s actually pretty good, inasmuch as a parody of a parody of tabletop gaming can be.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2013

I read the first… volume? Story? Whatever you want to call it. Anyway, always meant to go back and read more, but just haven’t got around to it.

Yup. I keep up on it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2013 edited

Re-opening this thread because it is the most appropriate place, outside of not-on-this-website, for discussion of webcomics.

Has anybody been reading Star Power? It’s a newish comic started by the guy who make Dominic Deegan and some others who are better artists.

I read the first couple of pages before the DD mock thread on SA shut down. It was pretty much exactly what I expected.

It was forgettable. It’s not good, but it’s not offensively bad or even remotely interesting yet. Even the art fits in that odd category of not great but not terrible.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2013

I’m mostly following for the laughs. It’s exactly like the sort of sci-fi space opera we can expect from Paolini, but with more original designs/artworks.

The worst part to me wasn’t the Mookieness of the story and its composite pieces, but the Mookieness of the writing. He was finally working on a project where he could use intelligible art to help tell the story, but in the pages I read he left basically nothing to the artist. Instead it just had boxes and boxes of Mookie’s classic stilted exposition to convey information they could’ve easily gotten across with a handful of pictures.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2013

that, too. There’s a lot of unnecessary description and exposition that the story so far could have done without.

The main reasons i posted today was the latest page: “I am re-enabling interstellar travel” like it’s no big thing.

Gee, can you get any more Mookish than this? At least Dominic was only a god inside his own mind.

I really can’t care that much since nothing’s really bad (or good) enough to keep me around in the first few chapters. With Dominic Deegan, I stuck around because it was a webcomic I was fond of when I was in middle school and I actually thought Dominic was an interesting character in the beginning. It wasn’t a great comic, but it had potential. Here it’s just bland from the beginning. There’s nowhere else for it to go but down because it’s already started at rock bottom.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2013

You guys, KUKUBURI is insane.

I’m only a hundred pages in, but OMG. So beautiful, so creepy. Like Alice In Wonderland meets Labyrinth meets Dumbo’s drunken hallucinations (“pink elephants on parade”) meets a Dali painting.

check it out

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2014

I think three months is enough time to safely double-post without incurring the Wrath of Sly…

do any of you follow Unsounded? It’s a really interesting, nuanced, gritty fantasy world that would also work really well in novel format. The art is above-average, the characters are memorable and the dialogue is generally great, especially the male lead’s.

It’s currently number 12 on the Top Web Comics list.