Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

What POV (point of view) do you prefer to write in? I like first person because you can really get into the character’s head, but third person is nice because it allows you to switch POV to another character and to be more objective in the story. Do you like to switch POV? Do you think that it’s hard to write something fromt the point of view of the opposite sex? What POV do you prefer to read?

I don’t really care about what PoV I read in. But if it’s first person, it has to be through the eyes of a character I like. A great example of first person well done is I am the Messenger by Markus Zusak. The narrator’s voice really shows through the story.

What I’m writing right now is in 3rd person, divided between two points of view. I do like to switch PoV, mostly because it gives the reader a new perspective, and allows them to see events they ordinarily might not if they were following another character. Plus, if one character’s doing something boring for the reader, I can cut to the other one to keep things moving.

As for writing in the PoV of the opposite gender…well, one of my PoV characters is a guy. It hasn’t been paticularly difficult to write his side, but I’m not quite sure if he comes off ‘manly’ enough. Not manly, just…well, you know. Like a guy. Sometimes it is a bit hard to get into a guy’s head, especially as I have no male friends.

Maybe if I try to write like a guy, I should talk to one of my guy friends to try to get a guy’s perspective on things. I sometimes like first person where they’re just observing and not really the main character (One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest).

Writing in a guy’s 1POV squicks me unless I’m writing the story from the POV of different people that include female characters and/or it’s not about love.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2009

I find it difficult to write from a first-person perspective, especially girls. Thinking of personalities and such isn’t too hard, but I keep wondering how believable they are and whether a real person would actually be like that.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I’m in the same boat Moldorm. So I usually do third person.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

@ Snow White Queen: Marcus Zusac is the king of first-person writing. See: Fighting Ruben Wolfe, The Underdog, When Dogs Cry, etc. etc.

I prefer third-person intimate, that strange halfway point where you’re seeing the character from the outside, but hearing them from the inside.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2009 edited

I’m with Virgil and Moldorm. :P

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I don’t write in first person because I don’t like reading books written in first person, with very few exceptions. First person is much more difficult for me because I don’t feel comfortable with writing someone based on myself (which would be easiest because I’m inside my own head), and I have difficulty empathising with other people enough to feel comfortable trying to write about someone else living in their own head. Not that that made any sense. Anyway, whenever I used to try writing in first person, I would find myself unable to write anything that wasn’t choppy, clumsily worded, and unrealistic – my character wasn’t like a real person.

Anyway. So my POV of choice is third person. Generally I switch between three points of view throughout my stories (at least, I have done this in two novels, the only ones I have come even remotely close to finishing. That’s enough example material, right?), so I can get different takes on situations within a story that I would not be satisfied with if they were only portrayed from one side.

My next project needs to be figuring out how to do a villain’s point of view…

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

My next project needs to be figuring out how to do a villain’s point of view…

That is the entirety of my NaNo. Except its a comedy.

I like third person, but not third person omniscent. Writing from the first person can be really good, but it can also be a cop out. (See Twilight). I've pretty much settled into using only one or two characters for third person POV. That way I have to think more about showing, but I can still give more detail into the though processes of the main character.

I like third person limited. From what I’ve seen (and written) in CW classes, people tend to use first person because it seems easier to do, but it’s actually harder to do well.

I like books written in the third person omniscient narrative mode, but tend to write in limited third person. I generally dislike first person except in a very few books.

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2009

I’ve been doing a lot of first person writing lately, though I’d hesitate to say I prefer it. It’s a lot of fun if your viewpoint character has an interesting voice or perspective on a matter. If it’s an event-based story, I write 3rd person. However, I think it’s easier for me to write interpersonal dynamics with a first person narrator.

I write first-person mostly. It seems to come more naturally.

Like Juniper, I really enjoy third person omniscient narrative (with breaking fourth wall....*looks at screenname* I wonder who uses THAT mode?), but I can't write it that well and generally end up falling into third person limited omniscient. Which is fine....but sometime I want to write a third person omniscient narrative *pant pant* yarn.

I originally tried hopping around viewpoints in a story as I thought that would be cool and I've always thought it would be fun to read, but I got thoroughly pounded over the head by my mentor reader for that as it is generally considered bad form unless done really, really well. Which I probably can't do well yet.

So, I'm hopping heads in a more clusterlike fashion (staying in one person's head for a segment...then moving on). It's fun as I have around 6 heads to hop into and out of.

I like writing both first and third person. There are definitely times when one is more appropriate than the other.

Anyone here try writing in the second person?

I was freaked out of second person by some random Star Wars role playing books that a friend gave us.
    *reads*
    "You enter the jungle and turn to the left..."
    *stops* I did no such thing!

So...short answer: Not usually. I think I have for some English exercises (spatial descriptions. *shudder*)
    •  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2009

Anyone here try writing in the second person?

Choose Your Own Adventure!

Hahah. I enjoy those, but, I think you would have to an incredibly talented author to write a good second person pov novel.

Or it’s like you’re telling someone what your life has been like, and going, “And so, yeah, the guy you thought was a big jerk has just been run over by a semi-trailer.”

Third-person limited.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2009

The viewpoint I use depends on the story. I usually use third limited because it’s a nice balance between characterization and plot. First person tends to fall flat the more intricate a plot you have while third omniscient is a bit too detached from the characters. They each have their place though as first person gives the reader a prime view of the character’s thoughts and motivations while omniscient is perfect for complex plots and the inclusion of the world itself as a major “character.”

One thing I like doing that I haven’t really seen anyone else do before is combining first and second person. It really makes for a compelling and interesting character-driven story, and unlike writing exclusively in second person, it doesn’t feel unnatural or forced. In fact, the use of second person works to enhance the first person narrative by bringing the reader and narrator closer together through familiarity.

I’m also a fan of multiple viewpoint characters as well as utilizing different PoVs for each character. I’m still experimenting with the different persons bit, but juggling multiple PoV characters is fun and a great way to add depth, intricacy, and contrast to the story.

I’m still experimenting with the different persons bit, but juggling multiple PoV characters is fun and a great way to add depth, intricacy, and contrast to the story.

In my experience so far, setting it up that way can be a useful tool to withhold key information from the reader when you aren’t ready for them to have it yet. Would some event spark a character’s inner monologue into a premature reveal? No worries, just make sure it’s during another character’s PoV. Of course, that sorta falls apart if your PoV characters aren’t together at the time, but it’s pretty handy if they are.

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2009

For my nanowrimo, I’m planning to do a wall-breaking first person narrator. I’ve seen it done really well with Bartimaues and Haruhi Suzumiya, and I hope I’m able to reproduce the effect.

Artimaeus’s spelling fail for the win.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2009

Yay, irony!

• CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2010

I prefer third person. I like a few books written in first person (Levine's books, Percy Jackson, ect.) But I don't necessarily want to write in it, because it would feel like everything was happening to me when I wouldn't want it to.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEbelean
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2010

I’ve actually seen some interesting takes on fairy tales written in second person.

Personally, however, I mostly write in first person present. I have no idea why, but it just comes more naturally for me.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea

I don’t like a lot of genre fiction in first person. Because while some of my favorite quality books are in first person (_Invisible Man_, at least) and I love the idea of genre fiction, too much of it is not anywhere near it’s potential. And when it is, they tend to stick it in “general fiction/literature”. Wait, that’s a rant for a different time :)

And I don’t think I’ve written in first person for awhile, I tried writing my first attempt at a novel (in college, strictly so I could join a writing group because I liked the members—or actually, I think I maybe wrote the prologue before that because that was right after I read Invisible Man and intended to cross it with Asimov’s “Robots” series) I actually wrote it with a first person narrator. Before I stopped writing it turned into a dystopian speculative fiction comedy. And to get back on topic, was first person in the POV of a nearly middle-aged bureaucrat. Who was also a man.

He was actually kind of fun. I miss him a little.

•  
      CommentAuthorMiel
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2010 edited

I find it easiest to write in first person, and for that reason, I’ve been forcing myself to write in the third person more. I love first person because I can imagine that I’m in the characters head, relating the story as it’s happening. Some stories, though, just need an external narrator.

I’ve always wanted to attempt a second person narrative. I’ve tried to think of some concepts that would work well in the second person, but easier said than done XD

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Second person is interesting, but extremely difficult to do well.

Text adventures/interactive fiction are always in second person, and it works pretty well for that because the game is sort of describing everything to the player anyway. I’m pretty sure that’s the most common form of second person writing, and when done well, it is very effective.

•  
      CommentAuthorsquidget

I write in third person limited. I like first person sometimes, but if I can’t sympathize with the main character, I don’t like it. I had to read a book called Imitate the Tiger for school and the main character was some angsty high school delinquent who’s first person present-tense narration was very clunky. I understand that it was a stylistic choice, but that book was so irritating.

I find it easiest to write in first person, and for that reason, I’ve been forcing myself to write in the third person more. I love first person because I can imagine that I’m in the characters head, relating the story as it’s happening Some stories, though, just need an external narrator

I’ve always wanted to attempt a second person narrative. I’ve tried to think of some concepts that would work well in the second person, but easier said than done XD

This. The thing I did before my WIP was in third person. One thing I like, and wasn’t to try, in third person is multiple POVs. My WIP is first person though. I also would like to do something in second person, but I have no idea what.

For me – almost always third person limited.
    It just comes naturally, I guess.

When I was a kid, I wrote an “epic saga” of two books in which I did first person POV for the main Stu fearless leader and third person for something like ten or fifteen other characters (probably more, come to think of it).
    It ended up being pretty messy.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2010

I’ve been quite experimental with voice and perspective, especially during university. One short story that I’m quite proud of was a non-interactive second-person-intimate about a boy running late for a train.It worked surprisingly well, despite a few objection to the perspective (along the lines of “I don’t like being told how I feel”, which to me hardly seems like a valid criticism for a university-level writing class).

Another one I wrote recently was more traditionally first-person-intimate, but switching between the two contrasting characters. One character thought/spoke entirely in triolet poetic form.