Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2009 edited

Yeah, I’m sure an eight-year-old would love seeing 2 hours of blue dick.

I don’t know why everyone is so fixated on the blue penis. It never hurt anybody. I mean, compared to all the explicit violence and sex (with Hallelujah playing in the background, no less), big blue is downright wholesome. Which is worse, sawing a man’s arms off, or a man…. liberated from the hassles of society?

Arti, I think the point is that it’s not an either/or.

anyway, onto famous people and twilight.

Well… it’s an internet famous person in this case. His shot at Twilight appears around 12:40.

I don’t know why everyone is so fixated on the blue penis. It never hurt anybody. I mean, compared to all the explicit violence and sex (with Hallelujah playing in the background, no less), big blue is downright wholesome. Which is worse, sawing a man’s arms off, or a man…. liberated from the hassles of society?

Some of it is expectations. Considering American film norms, and in how few panels in the GN that actually contained blue dick, one would’ve expected them to tone it down for the film, rather than showing it more frequently.

I do agree about the arm-sawing being worse, and I think it would’ve been about a hundred times stronger of a shot if it had just shown the blood misting combined with the howls of pain and never followed it up with the gory stumps.

That being said, explicit gore and overdone sex scenes are hardly unique to Watchmen, but blue dick is. That’s why you get the focus.

How about all the violence and profanity and sex and such?

When I was eight or so, I was allowed to watch most movies with any amounts of violence and language (i.e. Aliens) because my parents knew that I knew right from wrong and that I wouldn’t repeat any words. They were much stricter about nudity and sexual content, however. I don’t see a problem with violence and profanity if the child is mature enough to handle. I don’t think that they should be exposed to really sexual movies at a young age, though. It’s just different. They shouldn’t see/hear that sort of thing yet.

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2009 edited

What a culture we live in. It’s fine for the kids to see murder glamorized and rewarded. But sex? That crosses a line, damnit!

@ Sansafro
    True, you don’t see blue penises every day.

•  
      CommentAuthorDelzra
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2009

Yea it’s safe to say other cultures are a bit more comfortable with the whole sex thing than we are.

That’s because kids (particularly boys) are naturally violent anyway. Even if you were to remove all violence from their view they’d still break into fights, play act, etc.

On the other hand, they are not naturally sexual and generally unable to comprehend the biology and purpose of it.

Just because parents (well… non farming ones) might want to keep both from their kids doesn’t mean they are equivalent. To say they are is to say that corporal punishment is equal to molestation.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2009 edited

@ NateWinchester:

Two things.

1) According to Freud boys are naturally sexual, it’s just repressed or underdeveloped; and according to my own experience as a boy, I was definitely naturally sexual, i just lacked the mechanical and emotional know-how to either understand it or act on it.

2) “corporal punishment = molestation”... DEATH BY SNOO-SNOO!

:P

Taku, Freud’s been disproven on most of his stuff but a few larger ideas. (see: Westermark effect) The biology itself holds up as testosterone (yes I know calling it the “sex hormone” is an oversimplification but we’re not writing teatrise here) is lower in children than adults.

As for 2, we’ll have to add you to the list.

I just think that violence is less… I don’t know how to put it… not “traumatizing” exactly, but it’s not as innocense-erasing as sex is. Kids can understand that this person was murdered, and that it was wrong, but most kids don’t understand sex, so it would have to be explained, and it’s just different to me than violence and profanity. I repect everyone’s opinions, but it just seems different, though I can’t think of how to explain it properly.

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2009 edited

To some extent, I think there’s a proper “schedule” for sexual development, with the assumption that most everybody will partake eventually, so naturally you’d want to keep kids away from seeing it before they’re really prepared.

There isn’t really such an equivalent for violence. People aren’t supposed to kill other people, so when it’s portrayed in fiction, it’s generally seen as more… imaginary, I guess? Besides which, like NP said, kids have a frame of reference for violence, since most of them have hurt themselves physically at some point.

^^Yes, that’s what I wanted to say! I was having an inarticulate moment.

since most of them have hurt themselves physically at some point.

Or if they have siblings… each other.

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2009

That’s because kids (particularly boys) are naturally violent anyway. Even if you were to remove all violence from their view they’d still break into fights, play act, etc.

Yea, kids also steal kisses on the playground. And, violent as they may be, I doubt that most of them truly understand the implications of violence and death.

The way I see it, if you tell a kid about sex before he’s is interested in it, then where’s the problem? It would just go over their heads, as if you were explaining how the stock market works, or how to play poker. But if a kid is interested in sex but has no frame of reference, then he or she is likely to do something stupid. Understand, I wouldn’t suggest showing a small child explicit sex any more than I’d have them watch their grandmother die, but I think that sex is a troublesome subject largely because we treat it like one.

I think kids get so curious about it because the parents squirm everytime it comes up. I’m not even kidding. They squirm. If you treat it in a matter-of-fact manner, the kid will say ‘ok then’ and move on.

going off topic from the previous posts ( please don’t feel offended : / )

a fight i want to see is:

Versus

Or perhaps

Or anybody with that weapon

Or perhaps

Sorry, I couldn’t help myself :(

EDIT: i need to preview my posts more often >_<

Hee hee, he looks constipated…

I think his expression perfectly captures any vampire(fake or real) ‘s fear for the listen combatants :o

hmmm and for his last (a.k.a. the one i forgot to put before) combatant:

So lets summarise his foes…
    1. Dracula’s son
    2. The dude (or one of them, rather) who wields a weapon named (Edward’s race)+Killer
    3. My favourite snack… gotta love the garlic yum!
    4. Guess who…

What a way to kill some boredom XD
    LALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALA

No, edward has to fight:

Or

#1. :o can’t believe i forgot about him #2: Who are they? >_>

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2009

HAH. Fighting the Winchesters would be hilarious.

• CommentAuthorUn-Dante'd
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2009

Just get your hands on some Dead Man’s Blood, a gargantuan meat cleaver, and a crossbow. Shoot them with the bolts dipped in the blood, and lob off their heads.
    At least, that’s what the Winchesters would do.

Or just get a Colt…

I’d pay money to see Blade fight Edward.

And how could we forget:

Who is that, marquis?

Angel. From the Buffyverse!

EPIC WIN: Just now on tonight’s episode of Supernatural, Dean slams a vampire down, raises his knife and says-

“Eat it Twilight!”

Dean Winchester – the new patron saint of Impish Idea.

XD

That is awesome, even if I’ve never seen Supernatural.

Dean Winchester – the new patron saint of Impish Idea.

We will now refer to him as “St. Dean”.

Will you believe me if I say all I added was the halo?

SMARTALIENQT, I now love you and MUST have that picture for future…. uh – ideas.

If i had any suggestions, it would be a little dialog balloon with that line.
    (maybe even make it biblical with a “Supernatural 5:3” at the end)

EDIT: Also, we need to mutate this into an internet meme. Something like…
    “They have twilight ‘toys’ now???? St Dean preserve us!”

•  
      CommentAuthorSMARTALIENQT
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2009 edited

Coming right up!

First, the flowing longhand. I love this font, but it’s a little spindly. I will be back with another one shortly!

And now for the clearer text…

Hoorays for the wolf in the corner.

Lol. We have a patron saint. Now all we need to do is make the meme…

...and why the heck is the writing SPARKLY??? Not only is that totally contrary to the Impish Ideal, Jeremy will eat it!

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2009

Jeremy will eat it!

Oh, is that what he does with his shinies? I thought he just hoarded them in his nest.
    Must now be extra careful. Consumption is even worse than theft!

[sniff] This is a great day for the internet. I’m so proud of you all. =*)

• CommentAuthorliadan14

xDD I just watched that episode and squee!spammed Elanor about it. Although I do wonder how the hell Dean knows what Twilight is…

Well considering last season’s storyline, Twilight was probably the breaking of one of the seals.

Cracked has more on twilight bashing today.

It would be fun to see Edward fight this guy too:

...and why the heck is the writing SPARKLY??? Not only is that totally contrary to the Impish Ideal, Jeremy will eat it!

Irony. I love irony.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Irony. I love irony.

Irony is indeed ridiculously awesome.

That’s not ironic, it’s just mean.

That’s not ironic, it’s just mean.

Yes, the definition of Irony is this:

As a paladin in World of Warcraft, I cast a spell called “exorcism” and it does 666 damage.

THAT is ironic.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

Here’s another definition of ‘irony’ (I think it’s from Geroge Carlin):

“Irony isn’t ‘diabetic goes out to get insulin, and is run over by a truck.’ If the truck is carrying a load of sugar, it still isn’t irony. If, however, the truck is carrying a load of insulin, then it’s irony.”

Know what else is ironic?
    When Dean kills evil creatures, he gets arrested for it.

I believe even Agent Henrickson pointed that out.

Man, I still wish that guy had gotten his own show. =(

• CommentAuthorliadan14

Ironic. Hmm. Highest viewer rating thusfar, best season they ever managed to produce, and remind me, how does Torchwood: Children of Earth end?

...oh, no, wait, don’t remind me, nihilistic misery. Got the memo the first time ‘round.

[/rant]

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2009 edited

While we’re in the business of talking about what vampires are better than Edward, even this crone could kick Edward’s finely sculptured marble buttocks:

It’s Florence from Smith and Jones!

THAT is ironic.

That’s not ironic, it’s just coincidental.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2009

@swen—Damn straight. I kept on thinking of her when I saw that drawing of Kitty’s.

This topic of awesome vampire/hunters has gone on long enough without paying homage to

Him

Or him

Butterfly, that’s because Edward might be able to beat them.

Brad Pitt does not look good with long hair.

Interview With A Vampire was looooong.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac

That’s Brad Pitt?! O_O

Holy Sheezus. I never noticed that, but now that I know it’s him, I can’t see how I never noticed.

No, he really doesn’t.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Brad Pitt doesn’t look good ever.

ACTORS WE TALK ABOUT THE MOST ON II:

1. Christian Bale
    2. & 3. Hugh Jackman & Heath Ledger
    4. Brad Pitt

He’s just made the list.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2009

Brad Pitt must be displaced.
    So, what do you think of Dan Green?

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac

Steph, you forgot Johnny Depp and his terrifying Wonka-ness. :P

ACTORS WE TALK ABOUT THE MOST ON II:
    1. Christian Bale
    2. & 3. Hugh Jackman & Heath Ledger
    4. Brad Pitt
    He’s just made the list.

We must displace 4.

Dan Green is awesome.

Johnny Depp. Where do I BEGIN?

(He scared me as Jack Sparrow.)

(He scared me as Jack Sparrow.)

I believe he said it best…
    “Pirate!”

heck, I only saw number one once. I can't remember anything.

Context:
    Orlando Bloom’s line right before the one I quoted was: “You cheated.”

Oh, in that swordfight in the blacksmith’s shop at the beginning?

I still can’t remember anything.

Yep, you got it

I know, I know. My memory sucks.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

So, do you not remember Dan Green?
    How about David Bowie?

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Wait, why must Brad Pitt be displaced?

Am I the only one here who thinks he’s a good actor?

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2009 edited

I love Brad Pitt, I think he’s an awesome actor and generally super.

Apart from the whole Angelina Jolie thing, I mean HELLO, obviously Jennifer Aniston is a much nicer and way more beautiful choice.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I have nothing to say on the matter because I know nothing about Jennifer Aniston. Besides, Mr. and Mrs. Smith is like one of my favourite films. D:

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow

But, but… Jennifer Aniston! Rachel on Friends! She was good in Marley & Me too.

Angelina Jolie freaks me out. For the love of God, she wore a vial of her husband’s blood around her neck.

Christian Bale Dreamy look

Anyone seen A Midsummer Night’s Dream? He was very good and very hot….

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I know what Jennifer Aniston is in, I’ve just never seen any of it.

Christian Bale was in A Midsummer Night’s Dream? :o WHERE.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

she wore a vial of her husband’s blood around her neck.

What?!
    Does she have the power of voodoo or something?

Sorry, Angie does humanitarian work, so she wins for me. Jennifer Aniston always seemed so bland.

The whole ‘vial of blood’ thing, however, I was not aware of.

Yeah. She’s weird.

I saw that the topic shifted to kids in movies at some point.

Can I just say that I walked up to EVERY parent I saw with a 5-8 year old at Watchmen, Dark Knight and a couple others in the past two years and told them “This movie is too everything for them. Don’t you read signs? PG-13.” and walked away. Being in a crowded, dark theater definitely helped my boldness.

• CommentTimeSep 29th 2009 edited

Spanman- It’s a 22 year old Christian Bale. Being all intense and slightly bad as Demetrius. He’s sooooo good. No, I did not drool during the movie. Well, not much.

Buy It

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Heyyy, I watched that, I suddenly realized. Christian Bale was Demetrius?! No wonder I liked him so much! (man, all my favorite movie people are turning out to be Christian Bale! First Laurie, now Demetrius…)

Ah, Christian Bale. Have you seen The Prestige? He’s damn awesome in there too. And Batman Begins… when he’s doing all the ninja training and he’s shirtless and sweaty…. :D

Ah, Christian Bale. Have you seen The Prestige? He’s damn awesome in there too. And Batman Begins… when he’s doing all the ninja training and he’s shirtless and sweaty…. :D

Yeah… isn’t he dreamy?

oh um…

You can come out of the closet; we’re your friends here.

Hey, it’s ok.

Even the guys want him

But he just looks horrible in The Machanist.

Ok Dan, I admit…

Yeah, his skeleton is very squicky in Machinist. Yet his face is still very attractive…. which is weird and scary.

@Nate the Snake

@Dan

Wasn’t Bale’s character in the Machinist supposed to be kind of creepy or whatever? ie not hot.

• CommentTimeSep 30th 2009

Yes, I know. I’m just saying his face is still kinda attractive. Rest of him- oh hell no. Not in that movie.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2009

That article makes my cursor flicker weirdly. Doesn’t detract from the funny, though.

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2009

Anyway, back on topic (kinda)

Gotta love Alan Tudyk

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2009

You have rendered me speechless with pure joy.

MOAR CONTEXT NEEDED.

The gays have enough problems without being compared to Twilight, you know. XD