Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2009

Words cannot do it justice. Just… just… look at this.

Named USA Today’s Author of the Year in 2008

o_O Facepalm How? I think I’m gonna be sick; I’ll aim for Smeyer. There are no words. I will now curl up and die.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

That is sublimely idiotic.

What is it anyway? Is it a book about how totally awesome her books are? Ugh.

Female Force is about women who are shaping modern history and culture. Yeah.

Oh, there’s that feeling again. The horrible head exploding, society is becoming irreversably stupid feeling. When will they learn?

Well, to be fair, the Twilight craze is a big one. Right now, at least. Or maybe I wouldn’t even know or care if I wasn’t a girl in high school.

It is a big thing. But shaping history? That’s a little extreme. In ten years school children will study the great Twilight Riots of ’09? It also makes it sound like what she’s doing is wonderful, not just influential. It’s the connotation.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

But…she…and…why?...ghaaaa...

I bet that there are other ones about Oprah Winfrey and Paris Hilton.

Headdesk

I hate my generation….

Most of it. Not you guys :P

@Dan: There is one planned for Oprah.

Kill me.

How?

•  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2009

I think they only included Stephanie Meyer as part of their “female force” in order to attract more readers.

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2009

I don’t get it. Is this a biography? A series of books about female authors/celebrities? Female force?

Don’t die guys. Write. Get a best seller published so people will listen our opinions.

• CommentAuthorIsabel
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2009

Why didn't they go with JK Rowling? She actually, you know, does stuff for the world instead of just writing about sparkly vampires. Rowling actually donates lots and lots of money to charities. Hell, she's written, what, 3 books already that were purely for charity?

But yeah, call the woman who gave us Edward Sparkle-Pants Cullen more influential and great.

“Why didn’t they go with JK Rowling?”

@ Isabel: My thoughts exactly.

Rowling ftw.

Why didn’t they go with JK Rowling? She actually, you know, does stuff for the world instead of just writing about sparkly vampires. Rowling actually donates lots and lots of money to charities. Hell, she’s written, what, 3 books already that were purely for charity?

hugs

And Harry Potter is more influential, has sold more copies and is smexier than Twilight by far.

Yeah, but Harry Potter doesn't have Edward Cullen.
    Yeah, but Harry isn't a possessive, abusive stalker.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2009

Ron and Hermione don’t promote the idea of an abusive relationship.

No, they don’t. If Ron was a stalker, Hermione would dump him and probably punch him or something. If she was clingy and obsessive, well just look at what happened with Lavender.

...I can only hope that in ten years, we'll be laughing and saying something to the effect of, "Heh heh. No, really, you actually liked this!"
    It would be reversed, you see. Those against Twilight would be more common and less reviled, while the obsessive Twi-tards would be embarrassed.

If they had a J. K. Rowling one, I would be willing to spend money on it. I think she really deserves the success.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2009

If they had a J. K. Rowling one, I would be willing to spend money on it. I think she really deserves the success.

Doubtful. Smeyer has the American religious right behind her, while JKR doesn’t.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

JKR has a good proportion of the religious behind her. The crazies who don’t like it are few and far between, but outspoken enough that they make themselves seem more numerous then they actually are.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

American religious right = crazies.

I think JKR causes a controversy because her books are actually good.

Virgil, you should know better than to make such broad brush generalizations.

There’s no endorsement from Focus on the Family for families to read twilight. (Certainly not like there is for Narnia.)
    Their review.

In fact, a quick search reveals that review is ALL they have written on twilight.

Not to mention the assumption that the religious right is even nearly that powerful. (especially in the world of comics) [rolls eyes]

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

No, you’re right, I shouldn’t.

Otherwise, eh. But I have grandparents who are not crazy, but are religious right, and do not approve of HP.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Meh, I don’t see why the religious right would be behind SMeyer. She’s hardly your standard Christian- I daresay the vast majority of the religious right wouldn’t consider her Christian at all.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

And there’s the whole romanticising Satanic creatures of darkness thing.

bq. Meh, I don’t see why the religious right would be behind SMeyer. She’s hardly your standard Christian- I daresay the vast majority of the religious right wouldn’t consider her Christian at all.

bq. And there’s the whole romanticising Satanic creatures of darkness thing.

Yes and yes.

I'm depressed that people actually think that they're "HORRIBLE EVUL BOOKS" because they Didn't Do the Research.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I Show My Work.

The Religious Right is hardly behind Mormonism. I should know, I'm part of it.

I’m religious and lean more toward the right, and I have no problem with Harry Potter. I love Harry Potter. I have a problem with Twlight, but that’s got nothing to due with religion. It’s more of the abusive boyfriend glorified to God-like status, characters with no personality so that one may project one’s self into the main role, and pretty much all the other stuff that has been rehashed here about why Twilight is just not very good. But yes, Harry Potter is trashed by crazies because it’s actually good and has staying power.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2009

Same here. I’m a Christian, I’m a conservative. I love Harry Potter.

Many of my friends fit in the same category of Religious Right people who love Harry Potter. Including the Pastor’s daughter at my church. Actually, her dad likes the books a lot too. The crazies are just more outspoken.

The crazies are just more outspoken.

And they get more attention.

Think about it. Which would you put on a headline?
    “Religious folk burn the latest harry potter!”
    “Most religious americans think harry potter is ok.”

“Take what you hear with a grain of salt” goes triple for the media.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

As with every single demographic, there are the majority sane people, and then the minority nutjobs that make everyone else look bad.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I can barely stand any of the major news networks.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

The BBC is the love of my life.

Besides that, me neither.

I can barely stand any of the major news networks.

Agreed.

EDIT:
    And I still don’t get what this is. Is it about Smeyer or about her books? I know it’s about “influencial” women gags, but what exactly is the book comprised of?

Same here.

Wait, what’s religious right? Is there a religious left too? If so what are they?

Having Stephenie Meyer featured in something called “Female Force” is like having a stupid, spoiled teenage girl rant about shoes and hair products on a quantum physics convention.

And to be honest, I could not care less.

Technically, she’s influenced a lot of people. Fanfiction authors, antis, the tourism bureau of Forks, Washington, RPattz fangirls (squeeeee)...

I mean, it’s not like she hasn’t made much of a splash.

I mean, it’s not like she hasn’t made much of a splash.

True Steph, but then I think we can all think of half a dozen other female authors who have made bigger splashes.

True Steph, but then I think we can all think of half a dozen other female authors who have made bigger splashes.

Agreed. I just don’t think that she has made a long-lasting splash is all. This is a fad, and it will fade (probably). They act like it’s an instant classic. (That’s just what I think of when I hear “influential.”)

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2009

Smeyer has the American religious right behind her

... while JKR has a male fan base.

... while JKR has a male fan base.

Sadly, Smeyer has one too, although it is much smaller.

Sadly, Smeyer has one too, although it is much smaller.

Yup. Guy I know. Straight. OBSESSED.

Yup. Guy I know. Straight. OBSESSED.

looks like somebody has some coming out of the closet to do XD

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2009 edited

Yup. Guy I know. Allegedly Straight. OBSESSED.

fixed

On the other hand, a guy could pretend to like Twilight to get attention from fan girls.

Oh! That reminds me of this one guy at my school who wore a Twilight jacket.

I asked him, “Um, is that Twilight?”

IS THERE A PROBLEM WITH THAT?

So I told one of my friends and she was like, “Haha, yeah. I saw him. Let’s go talk to him!” She said it in a sort of “Twilight is for girls—a guy has a Twilight jacket? Hahaha” sort of way.

No he’s straight. He won’t stop hanging around me. ALL THE BLINKING TIME!

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2009

Maybe he knows that you have strong views on Twilight, so is trying to impress you, not knowing exactly what they are.

Lol, no he mentioned it before I said a word about Twilight. And I met him back in the dark ages*koff*when i liked Twilight*koff*, anyway.