Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2009

Love his books. _Prey_, _Jurassic Park_, _Congo_ are my favorites of his, though I haven't read all of them. Those three novels also represent the fact that I love the topics he tackles.

Also, his website has confirmed that two of his novels will be published posthumously: an unnamed techno-thriller, and a 16th century Caribbean adventure called _Pirate Latitudes_.

Congo is my favorite book. I’m not sure why. It had a nice vibe once they got to the jungle stuff. I think that Prey, Jurassic Park, and Congo are the only ones of his I’ve read. I plan to read more though. I was sad that he died. =(

Were those two novels finished, or will someone else be finishing them?

•  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky

Jurassic Park is one of my favorite books.

• CommentAuthorRocky

The techno-thriller one I think will be ghost-written. Sources say it's being taken from notes and research jottings. _Pirate Latitudes_, however, was written contemporaneously with _Next_, so hopefull that means less ghostwriting and more original Crichton win.

Cool. Hopefully whoever does the ghostwriting is a good writer.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

I rather liked Timeline most, of all his works. I just enjoyed it more.

I haven’t read Timeline. The movie made me not want to read it. Is it a lot different than the movie? If it is, I’d probably try it.

Sphere was my favorite Crichton book. Congo and JP are good.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

I’ve read a few of his books ( Congo , JP, Sphere), but my favorite has to be Eaters of the Dead, if only for the concept behind it.

What is Eaters of the Dead about?

If I remember correctly: it’s Crichton’s take on the Beowulf legend.

Ooh, cool.

• CommentAuthorRocky

Actually, it's _very_ cool. I can't believe I forgot that one. From all of his books that I've read, Eaters of the Dead is unlike any other. It's great.

My ten year old brother says that he’s read JP but I’m not sure whether I should believe him or not. (He’s seen the movie, so…)

Well the movie has a few differences. Ask which kid is older, the boy or the girl? In the movie, the girl is; in the book, it’s the boy. Also Malcolm and the old guy die in the book, but not the movie.

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2009 edited

Anyone read State of Fear? I love that book….

I haven’t yet, but I plan to. I plan to read a lot of things though.

I have a generally negitive opinion on Micheal Crichton. Of his books that I've read, the only ones I liked were the two Jurrassic Parks, and neither of them were really good books. They were simply interesting enough to be readable. The same cannot be said for the others I read, which are forgettable plot driven books with very little meat.

I will not pass judgement on Sphere, or any of the others I haven't read yet. I prefer to give authors the benifit of the doubt, even if most of what I've read from them is crap. :)

He also wrote a text adventure for the C64 called Amazon, which was based on Congo.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2009

Apparently, there are talks of adapting Chrichton's yet-to-be-released _Pirate Latitudes_ novel into a feature film.

And the rumored director is none other than Steven Spielberg.

I liked JP. I enjoyed the intellectual rambling of Malcom, about why it would fail. Though I put more of the problems on Hammond’s stupidity. That guy was a fool. I haven’t read any other books of his though

I still need to read Jurassic Park... :(

However, one of my favourites came to be The Andromeda Strain. Lots of technical stuff, but the plot seemed interesting, the procedures about decontamination and the effects the Andromeda Strain had on its victims.

And after reading the book, and looking for some info on Wikipedia, it led me to discover two metal bands: Nocturnus and Shadow Gallery, both have songs related to the Andromeda Strain. =D
    Jurassic Park and The Lost World were my all time favorites with Timeline coming in a close second.

Films 1 and 3 were pretty good as well.

Personally I hated Eaters of the Dead, it was just filthy and depressing, and it read like an account book.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLeliel
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2011 edited

Liked Jurassic Park, Timeline, Congo, Andromeda, Sphere. I’d never thought about it but that probably makes him my favorite sci-fi author.

I liked the visual elements he incorporated into these and probably other novels he did. That was kind of his trademark in my mind at least. :)

Edit: the film and TV adaptations of these ranged from decent to meh. Nobody should discount his books on that basis. Books are good!