Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorNossus
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2013

And in the Walking Dead, I don’t really find Rick that interesting, and pretty much only watch the show for Norman Reedus who plays Daryl.

Well, Walking Dead is just a bad show in general.

•  
      CommentAuthorResistance
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2013 edited

They stretch the characters a little bit sometimes, but overall I like it.

I found that I really enjoyed the first season of TWD more than the later season. I feel like its tone really shifted in seasons 2&3, with it becoming more action heavy. I liked the slower paced, more subtle character shifts that sometimes shone through in season 1.

•  
      CommentAuthorResistance

Yeah, the only thing I don’t like is how Rick is such a perfect guy, he doesn’t have any discernible flaws as far as I can tell. He’s always the one rescuing people etc. that’s what I like about Daryl. He’s a decent guy, but he doesn’t do things if they’re just stupid.

Uh, how far have you seen? Because

•  
      CommentAuthorResistance

I’m in the middle of season two. Although that plot development will be fun to watch.

I watched (and liked) the first season of TWD, but the first couple of episodes of S2 really bored me, and since I didn’t have a ton of time for TV anyway, I abandoned it.

• CommentAuthorNossus

TWD is like Lost with zombies, but without any interesting characters

It had a p. cool pilot though.

It had a p. cool pilot though.

Yes, it did. I thought the first couple of episodes were really good. Did those people from the pilot ever show up again? I can’t remember (or maybe I didn’t get that far).

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2013

Supernatural has started off very strong. I AM SO PLEASED. How I Met Your Mother is doing pretty well too, though they need to bring the flipping mother back.

Also, I don’t think Walt is the “real villain.” I didn’t take away any kind of comment on morality whatsoever from the show (maybe I’m watching it wrong?). I just viewed it as some flawed people with very tragic lives doing stupid things to themselves and others.

I don’t think you’re really watching it wrong, since you realize that it’s not The Adventures of Walt the Scientific Outlaw. That said, I disagree pretty strongly that the show has no moral POV.

What does the most prolific serial killer in American history have to do with an asshole doctor and an autistic detective?

Some of the audience’s reaction to these characters. Maybe they’re in the minority, but I’ve had a few conversations with people who consider Dexter a noble character because he “only kills people who deserve it”. House and BBC Sherlock are characters who have their flaws either romanticized or flat out ignored by a certain set of their show’s demographic. I don’t know if it’s the majority, but I do know I’ve heard people getting so wrapped up in the characters and the things they’re doing they don’t step back to acknowledge that maybe the character isn’t doing the nicest of things.

I was going to include Tyler Durden and Hannibal Lecter on the list, but they’re a bit dated. Wait a second, there’s a TV show starring Lecter now. Back on the list, you.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2013

House and BBC Sherlock are characters who have their flaws either romanticized or flat out ignored by a certain set of their show’s demographic.

Especially the Houselock slashfic writers.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Yeah… I love Sherlock (the character and the show), but he’s not really a good person. Or at least he’s not nice. I certainly wouldn’t want to actually have to deal with him in real life.

Willow, I thought that this season’s opener was the best of any of them since 5. I still can’t shake off how much I disliked the Leviathans.

YES THE OPENER OMG. The Leviathans were ok, mostly because unlike some people, I laughed at all the Dick jokes. For me, the jokes never got old.

I was going to include Tyler Durden and Hannibal Lecter on the list, but they’re a bit dated. Wait a second, there’s a TV show starring Lecter now. Back on the list, you.

I’m guessing we could probably go digging for contemporary reactions to The Sopranos and find a broad chunk of the viewers rooting for Tony to have all the NY families clipped so he can become King of the Mobsters.

Yeahhhhhhhhhh. Hell, the Winchesters aren’t quite that bad.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2013

Watching the Vikings marathon on History Channel. I missed this show so much.

• CommentAuthorNossus
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2013

Who cares if people root for the “bad guy?” It’s a TV show. Sometimes it’s thrilling to see the bad guys win.

•  
      CommentAuthorResistance
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2013

Who cares if people root for the “bad guy?” It’s a TV show. Sometimes it’s thrilling to see the bad guys win.

I sort of agree on this point. While like people have said, Walt does screw up sometimes and makes things worse, he does try to rectify them, if not so well. Yes, some of the things he does are stupid and dick-ish, but he does try his best to rectify them.

serious ass spoilers below

I sort of agree on this point. While like people have said, Walt does screw up sometimes and makes things worse, he does try to rectify them, if not so well. Yes, some of the things he does are stupid and dick-ish, but he does try his best to rectify them.

You need to watch more.

• CommentAuthorNossus
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2013

• CommentAuthorNossus
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2013

Hey, The Wire people. Looky

Pretty cool, but I’m disappointed there isn’t one that says

SHEEEEEEEEE
    EEEEEEEE
    EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    EEEE
    EEEEEEEEEEIT

• CommentAuthorNossus
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2013

I watched The Killing. It’s better than The Wire.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2013 edited

I know it’s probably old, but all this talk about creatively designed The Wire posters reminded me of this:

I watched The Killing. It’s better than The Wire.

not subtle enough

• CommentAuthorNossus
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2013

me, or the show?

both

• CommentAuthorNossus
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2013

Well I seriously think the show is great

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2013

This is really interesting and informative, and you should all watch it even if you haven’t seen the show (there are a few spoilers, but not many.)

Style in The Wire

• CommentAuthorNossus
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2013

Good watch.

I’ve watched that before, it’s a definite pro-click. Probably gonna watch it again when the football game is over.

• CommentTimeNov 24th 2013 edited

So, the South Park episodes making fun of Game of Thrones are fucking awesome.

The Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special made me very angry.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2013

I was in the room while that was on and, while I have never seen a full episode of the show before, that part seemed pretty dumb and I didn’t like it.

• CommentTimeNov 25th 2013

South Park or Doctor Who?

Doctor Who. Of course I’ve seen South Park, I am a twentysomething American male.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Orphan Blaaaaack teaser…

What do you mean I have to wait until April for season 2? :(

Seriously, though, why are you guys not watching this show? It has one actress playing like six characters and it’s amazing.

It’s on my list, okay?

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Hey, it’s only ten episodes so far!

One of my cousins is a huge fan of that show, but he is a shy nerd and does not act as a forceful advocate for his interests to others, so I haven’t been compelled yet.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2013

I would try to compel you, but I still haven’t finished watching THE WIRE so I don’t have much ground to stand on here.

But seriously, it’s an unusual series but a good one. A woman steals the identity of someone who looks exactly like her, then finds out there’s clones of her pretty much behind every corner. Lies, craziness, and hot glue guns abound.

•  
      CommentAuthorPryotra

Has anyone here seen Sleepy Hollow?

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I keep hearing good things about it (and some bad ones :)), but not yet. You like it?

•  
      CommentAuthorPryotra

The plot line is pretty good, and it’s got some great jump scares. Also the main characters are pretty awesome, and actually work through their issues, rather than let them fester and have grand issues and great grand issues. If you avoid the inevitable shipping war and the…kind of pathetic inaccuracies involving things like the Book of Revelation and the fact that suddenly Paradise Lost is a religious text as supposed to fanfic, it’s pretty good.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

It does similar stuff with the American Revolution. Just like pretty much every other show dealing with a historical period.

Still, good show. All the episodes are on hulu, and most of them for free.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2014

SHERRRRRLOOOOOOOOOCK!

I’ve seen it. Spoiler discussion in hidden?

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2014 edited

Yes please!

• CommentAuthorNossus
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2014

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2014 edited

• CommentAuthorNossus
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2014

Woke up this morning, got yourself a gun.

Woke up this morning, got yourself a gun.

yes.

• CommentAuthorNossus
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2014

yep

GAME OF THRONES TRAILER!

This season is going to be pretty juicy, methinks.

Oh indeed. Red Viper time, son.

• CommentAuthorNossus
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2014

Finished S3 of Sherlock. It was good

• CommentTimeJan 13th 2014

Agreed.

Yeah, that was the best episode of Sherlock IMO. Near-BrBa intensity and non-stop rug-pulling.

Red Viper time, son.

It looks like they’ve even enlarged his role from the books? He was very prominent in the trailer, but I’m not complaining. Dorne always seemed like a weird detour from the main action in the books, so hopefully they’ll integrate it better on the show.

• CommentAuthorNossus

Yeah, that was the best episode of Sherlock IMO. Near-BrBa intensity and non-stop rug-pulling.

I thought it was the worst but still good

• CommentAuthorNossus

It looks like they’ve even enlarged his role from the books? He was very prominent in the trailer, but I’m not complaining.

He’s in it for literally 4 seconds

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2014 edited

Ahaha, I forgot Joffrey’s wedding was coming this season. I have conflicted feelings on that, but mostly I just want to see how other people feel about it when it’s all said and done.

e: also, finally was able to watch the last episode of Sherlock, and

I was kind of disappointed in Sherlock S3 E1. It just wasn’t as sharp and crisp as I’ve come to expect, both visually and in the writing.

The Sopranos: “Employee of the Month”

I knew what was going to happen because I had seen parts of this episode before, but I had never seen The Part, and The Part was so much more horrifying and uncomfortable than I had anticipated.

Oh man, that episode. Yeah :|

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2014

So apparently an episode of Supernatural took place in a city I’m very familiar with. Although I’ve never watched an episode of Supernatural in my life, it almost makes me want to watch the episode just to see if it bears any resemblance to the real city at all…

So while my bio lab GSI was displaying a website for us, we got a glimpse at his search history…which I’m pretty sure included a search for shiiiiitttt in The Wire.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2014 edited

I was going to link to the obligatory video for that, but I can’t find it! The one where it goes on for like two minutes? My Google-fu is failing me!

SANSA, I NEED YOU. D:

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2014

I found a compilation, but it was lots of separate incidents, not the long one.

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2014 edited

Guys you’re rendering it wrong, the proper Clay Davis expression is SHEEEEEEEEEIT.

Also the compilation is worth watching just for the faucet/goose bit.

e: Also that dude that was searching for it is clearly a cool dude. If you ever need to get on his good side, just say “it’s all in the game.”

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2014

Yay! There it is. I’ve added it to my favorites lest I lose it again.

Also that dude that was searching for it is clearly a cool dude

Yeah, I like him a lot. He’s a really helpful GSI.

If you ever need to get on his good side, just say “it’s all in the game.”

Hahaha but if he finds out that I haven’t actually watched The Wire all the way through, that may not be to my advantage.

The Sopranos: Long Term Parking

Christopher is such a piece of shit.

Yeah, Chris was probably my favorite character up until that episode for some inexplicable reason. That was where he finally lost me.

Switched over to Bobby and never looked back.

I like Bobby too. He seems like he could be a good guy if he’d been in a different situation. Chris would make me angry and then win me back, but now I don’t see that happening again.

• CommentAuthorNossus
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2014

How the hell am I supposed to know what episode you’re talking about just from the title? Who the hell knows the titles of all fuckin 80 episodes?

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2014 edited

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2014

I just watched the teasers for Orphan Black, and I’m worried

But I hope not, because that would be annoying. Alison is continuing to be her usual ridiculous self, though, so that’s okay.

I started the third season of Game of Thrones, and I’m really liking the side players like Brienne and Margaery. They manage to keep those Lannisters on their leashes, and I respect that.

I LOVE the series version of Margaery. In the book, it seems like Cersei just projected on her more than anything, but here she’s a definite PR queen.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2014

That would be the big advantage of the TV series – getting to see secondary characters more objectively. I have to wonder how much of it is canon, though.

Also, I think it helps that they aged people up. A Margaery that is 20+ years old has a lot more agency than a teenager. Although the whole Tommen match is going to be even weirder than before…

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2014

Let’s be honest, it was always weird.