Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2013

Latest GoT ep:

I haven’t read the books for years, so I’m looking at the show more as a narrative entity unto its own, for the most part. I personally thought the finale had interesting character moments, but did not have the narrative wham that it should have. Obviously the Red Wedding is hard to follow, but still.

Also I love Davos. I never cared about him in the book that much, but hearing him pronounce ‘noblemen’ as ‘knobble men’ made me laugh out loud in a nice way.

And I don’t really care about . Maybe I’m just a bad fan. :P

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2013 edited

I also think that Sansa was trying to take Margaery’s advice to heart, but with the news she’s received, I don’t think she can handle it any longer.

On a less serious note, I also found it hilarious and absolutely in-character that Sansa thought that ‘shift’ was the vulgar word for dung instead of ‘shit’. Poor baby.

• CommentAuthorNossus
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2013

That was a way better episode than last weeks. I thought it was great

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2013 edited

Doing a second watching of season 3 of The Wire.

• CommentAuthorNossus
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2013

You didn’t notice that?

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2013

Nah, I probably did (they kind of put it right in front of your face) I just didn’t remember it was all. I think I appreciate the acting a lot more the second time around, though. It’s been quite a while since I first watched season 3, and since then I’ve watched my fair share of the “big” shows on TV right now (Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, etc.) I don’t think any of do body language quite as well as The Wire does. The subtle hand motions, body positioning, facial expressions… Its got a certain authenticity that other shows lack, in my opinion.

I don’t think any of do body language quite as well as The Wire does. The subtle hand motions, body positioning, facial expressions… Its got a certain authenticity that other shows lack, in my opinion.

Yeah, you can tell they made a concerted effort to get the actors to act natural, and it gives the show itself a more believable tone. They didn’t want you to appreciate an actor’s performance so much as they wanted you to forget you were watching actors at all.

It’s really what ends up making guys like Omar and Marlo work as characters. Omar would probably be less amazing in a show with cyborg ninjas doing backflips over lazerbeams or whatever, but since the setting and the characters inhabiting it are so believable, Omar’s escapades seem like things that could happen in the real world(though a bunch of them did, actually) instead of just straight-up Spider-Man shit.

And Marlo would just get ignored in a story with hypercharged characters and performances. When everybody else is capital-A Acting, it’s hard to notice a guy who barely moves, and it’s even harder to realize that something is fundamentally off about him.

Since James Gandolfini died, I think I’m going to finally watch The Sopranos.

• CommentAuthorNossus
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2013 edited

‘Again,’ I hope you mean…

Nope. I will cop to being a failure.

• CommentAuthorNossus
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2013

I don’t know why you wouldn’t watch it before, seems right up your alley. I didn’t think it was all that great though.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Since James Gandolfini died, I think I’m going to finally watch The Sopranos.

Yeah, I’ll have to check it out, too. Not much to watch in between seasons of Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Legend of Korra, etc.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Same here, and like Nossus mentioned, I’m not entirely certain why I never watched it before…

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2013 edited

I don’t know why you wouldn’t watch it before, seems right up your alley. I didn’t think it was all that great though.

I dunno, I just never did. Most of the shows I’ve watched have had something innocuous prompt me to watch it, and that never really happened with The Sopranos.

Yeah, I’ll have to check it out, too. Not much to watch in between seasons of Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Legend of Korra, etc.

Friday Night Lights is also really good, but I don’t know if it’s your thing. And Season 2 is terrible. The Shield is also awesome, but it gets really goddamn dark. It was BrBa before BrBa was BrBa.

• CommentAuthorNossus

watches friday night lights and the shield, doesn’t watch the sopranos…

lol

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

On the topic of shows we should all watch but haven’t, I still need to start Mad Men.

Also a really good choice.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2013

I don’t actually watch television. if there’s anything important I absorb it via internet memes.

cool story

Chugging through The Sopranos. Started S3 tonight. It’s a good show, but holy shit I can’t wait until somebody shoots Tony’s sister Janice. She has to be the most contemptible fictional character I’ve seen in a long, long while.

•  
      CommentAuthorResistance
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2013

For some reason I'm absolutely engrossed in LGBT movies/shows right now.
    Watching - Queer as Folk (US) - finished UK series, Doctor Who, Prison Break, Lie To Me, and re-watching Frasier, because for some reason I still find it entertaining, even after the 10th time.

Do you have the television channel Logo? In your current stage, you might never get up off the couch.

For some reason I’m absolutely engrossed in LGBT movies/shows right now.

have you seen the sitcom Vicious? It’s got Ian McKellen and Derek Jacobi as this bickering old couple and it’s pretty great.

(also you should watch Angels in America if you haven’t yet.)

•  
      CommentAuthorResistance
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2013

I don't have a huge channel variety (news, some Spanish channels, PBS) on my TV, but I do have Netflix, so if its on Netflix I'll try it out.
    Sadly a lot of my time has been usurped by sailing and swimming, so I don't have much time for TV.
    • CommentAuthorWiseWillow
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2013

YES VICIOUS IS AWESOME.

YES VICIOUS IS AWESOME.

I need to watch more of it…...it was pretty adorable

(plus Sir Ian McKellen is one of my favourite actors…..ever)

lately I’ve got into The Next Generation (I’ve never seen star trek before), and I’m marathoning it on netflix

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2013

I started watching Orphan Black, and I’m much more interested than I thought I would be. I knew the premise going in, but it still managed to intrigue me by the end of the first episode.

Even if it offends me on a linguistics level to believe a person with a British accent can pick up a flawless American accent that quickly. And a Russian accent as well (although I guess she didn’t speak much in that yet).

Finished The Sopranos last night. It was really good. It suffered a little in a way innovators always do when you come to them late and you’ve already seen their best tricks used by their successors. I’d recommend it.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2013

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2013

Is it weird that my favorite character in Orphan Black is the completely insane psychopath killing everyone?

Obviously, I continue to watch this show. It’s seriously pretty good. There’s clones and weird mysteries all over the place.

Breaking Bad owns so hard.

“Scotty beamed his guts into space!”

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2013

“Scotty beamed his guts into space!”

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand it’s animated

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2013 edited

Goddamn, Breaking Bad. That was probably one of the most exciting episodes of television I’ve ever watched. The only thing that bothered me was

@Puppet

Oh shit, apparently Korra’s back. I’m okay with this.

•  
      CommentAuthorResistance
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2013

@Puppet – which episode are you talking about? I’ve only seen the first one and probably about the first half of the second episode (of season 1).

I have to find somewhere I can watch The Wire. Aidan Gillen is in it, and I haven’t seen him since Queer as Folk.

@Puppet – which episode are you talking about? I’ve only seen the first one and probably about the first half of the second episode (of season 1).

He’s talking about the episode that aired last Sunday.

I have to find somewhere I can watch The Wire. Aidan Gillen is in it, and I haven’t seen him since Queer as Folk.

If you’re looking to stream it, the only official way to do it is through HBOGo, which I think is free if you already have a subscription to HBO. There are also shadier methods if you’re willing to resort to them, of course. Otherwise, Netflix can ship the DVDs, or you could check the library.

Aidan Gillen is a pretty major character, but he doesn’t show up until Season 3. I wouldn’t recommend skipping ahead.

He also plays Littlefinger in Game of Thrones but you probably knew that.

•  
      CommentAuthorResistance

Yeah, I have Netflix, so I’ll probably order the DVDs. I don’t usually skip ahead in shows anyway, and The Wire is supposed to be amazing.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2013 edited

Oh shit, apparently Korra’s back.

Holly crap, it is.

Edit: Season 2 premier is at 7:00 Eastern, for those interested. Adjust accordingly for different time zones.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Oh right.

It’s times like these that I actually miss having a TV. I just don’t care about most TV shows, but when something like Korra is on… I wanna see it as early as everybody else!

Avatar was pretty near the only other show that I felt this about, btw, so it’s just continuing in a grand tradition. Also, I watched the Nostalgia Critic’s review of The Last Airbender last night, so now I want to rewatch all of Avatar. I’m just in a very Avatar-y mood right now.

The Wire is supposed to be amazing.

That’s what they say.

@swenson: At least it’ll probably be streaming on Nick.com again, so you won’t have to wait that long.

fuck you walter fuck yooooooooooooou

^^YES.

For real though, that episode was legit art.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2013

My reaction in a nutshell:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaattt

Double posting because apparently, Breaking Bad with children is a thing.

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2013

About halfway through the first season of Friday Night Lights, and while I like it so far I think there’s still room for improvement. Things like Riggins and Lyla getting together seem less like a natural extension of their characters and more of a dramatic creation for the sake of the plot. I also like Tyra as a character, but her storylines have been pretty isolated from the rest of the show. Does this get better in future episodes?

Does this get better in future episodes?

Sort of. I don’t think the Riggs/Lyla relationship is ever that interesting in and of itself, but it’s useful in how it affects the characters’ other relationships and shows you about Riggs and Lyla as characters.

Tyra never gets involved with football(since her basic role in the story is to show us someone forgotten by Dillon’s football culture), but as the show lets itself stretch out she intersects with more characters and becomes important in their stories(Julie, Mrs. Coach, Landry, Riggs, etc.).

Just brace yourself because Season 2 isn’t very good. There are a couple of really great moments in it, but on the whole it’s unfinished and it’s really really obvious there was a lot of network meddling to sexy it up.

Seasons 3 through 5 own own own, though. Season 3 contains what’s probably the most affecting episode of television I’ve ever watched.

Damn, I think I want to rewatch that show now.

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2013

there was a lot of network meddling to sexy it up

Not really surprising, considering that Dillon, Texas has basically the highest rate of attractive people per capita on the planet. Will definitely keep watching it, though.

goddamn breaking bad

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2013

I’m gonna be so sad when it ends.

• CommentAuthorNossus
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2013

Dexter is literally the worst show I’ve ever seen. The ending was so bad. He becomes a sad lumberjack..

Dexter is literally the worst show I’ve ever seen. The ending was so bad. He becomes a sad lumberjack.

Hahaha really? I thought internet people were making that up as a joke.

Hahaha really? I thought internet people were making that up as a joke.

Yes. Really. I think the only “good” ending the show could have had was for Dexter to get caught and arrested for his crimes. I figured they’d have him sail off into the sunset with Hannah instead, but they didn’t do that either. Sad lumberjack is just fucking stupid.

That’s a (hilarious) shame. You’d hope the show could try to finish strong, especially when you compare it to that other Sunday night cable show that’s wrapping up a masterclass on how to end your antihero story.

• CommentAuthorNossus
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2013

I literally could not have come up with a worse ending for Dexter.

How exactly do you become a writer for television? Jesus, anyone could have written a better final season. If these morons can write a hit TV show, I figure I’ve got a pretty good shot. The worst part is that they actually think they made something good.

•  
      CommentAuthorPryotra
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2013 edited

Sad lumberjack

That has got to be the signal stupidest ending I’ve ever heard of for a show. And that includes some of the ganax and mind screw endings of things that I’ve seen.

How exactly do you become a writer for television?

I’m pretty sure that the producers look at the scripts for things and go with them. So someone, somewhere looked at that script for the sad lumberjack and went ‘yeah, that’ll sell.’ It’s not the first dumb decision that people have made.

To be honest though it doesn’t really surprise me. When you look at the other shows in the “cable antihero” group(The Sopranos/The Shield/Breaking Bad etc.) they all understood that their leads were ultimately monsters who deserved justice, but I’m not sure the Dexter writers ever really realized that. As a legit serial killer, Dexter is even more monstrous than Tony Soprano or Vic Mackey or Walter White, but past like the first season or so his show seemed to view him as an actual heroic figure, which he shouldn’t be. Going into the final season knowing it’s the final season should’ve given the writers the freedom to really floor the story off the cliff like The Shield and BrBa did. Instead, it sounds like those 7 previous seasons they spent shielding Dexter from consequences happened not because milking the show required them to, but because they never felt Dexter deserved real consequences.

That shit’s the big reason I ejected after Season 5. Well that and the double whammy of Dexter’s pointless voiceover and his Ghost Dad constantly explaining everything that was happening at the viewer.

•  
      CommentAuthorPryotra
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2013

So, Agents of Shield and Sleepy Hollow in one season as well as the next season of Once Upon a Time.

Life. Is. Good.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

Hell’s Kitchen Season 11.

Life-size armoured Japanese Samurai statue, Japanese Shinto gates, Japanese-style gongs…

“As you can tell from the decorations, today’s challenge is all about… Chinese food.”

Is this fucking sarcasm, or what?

SMH.

•  
      CommentAuthorResistance

I’ve been out of school since Monday so all I’ve been doing is watching The Walking Dead, sleeping, and occasionally doing homework.

Just watched the latest Breaking Bad. This series may be the best television show in terms of quality and execution that I have ever seen. Everything ties together extremely well.

•  
      CommentAuthorResistance
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2013

I would have to agree with you NP. I’m only on the fifth or sixth episode of the first season and I can already tell it’s really well written.

I would have to agree with you NP. I’m only on the fifth or sixth episode of the first season and I can already tell it’s really well written.

Believe me when I tell you that you ain’t seen nothing yet.

• CommentAuthorNossus
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2013

Breaking Bad is the GOAT

The Wire is still my favorite but BrBa has a deathgrip on #2.

I Wish I Wasn’t Jesse’s Girl (Breaking Bad spoilers)

Here we go, Breaking Bros. One last time.

Well, that was a cool show.

• CommentTimeSep 29th 2013

So, how’d it end?

Everyone got what they deserved.

...more detail please. Use hidden text if you like.

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2013 edited

Well, okay. HERE BE SPOILERS

Pretty damn perfect.

• CommentAuthorNossus

I’ve got nothing to say about it. Wrapped up perfectly. GOAT

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2013

Pretty great. It wrapped up all the loose ends nicely, although to be honest I didn’t think it would be so… direct? Dunno, it was a nice ending, but I guess I was expecting something more in a way.

Yeah, in terms of plotting it might have been the most straightforward episode of BrBa ever, but I feel like that was part of the point.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2013

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2013

Has anybody else seen Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. yet? First two episodes debuted tonight.

I'm really looking forward to the rest, it's a really solid set-up with great characters. The Fitz/Simmons pairing is perfect.

I wouldn’t get too attached to it. The ratings dropoff between the pilot and the second episode in ‘Merica was like 30-something percent. Unless it pulls up really fast it’s not gonna last much longer.

• CommentAuthorNossus

Just watched the Breaking Bad finale again. Now I’m seriously bummed that it’s all over. What the fuck do I watch now?

If you need more “horrible man improvises his way out of facing justice for his crimes but it catches up with him anyway” action there’s always The Shield.

• CommentAuthorNossus

I don’t know if that’s my thing

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2013 edited

sansa, I saw the first two episodes, did you mean the ratings dropped between the pilot and the _second_ episode (first after the pilot), or the "second" episode (second after the pilot)?

Nossus, I'm not sure how far into it you guys are, but there's a new series starting over here soon, "fast tracked from the US" called Hostages that looks pretty interesting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187

sansa, I saw the first two episodes, did you mean the ratings dropped between the pilot and the second episode (first after the pilot), or the “second” episode (second after the pilot)?

The pilot was the first episode that aired, so yeah, from the first episode you saw to the second one. They aired in successive weeks in the US. The premiere debuted to a huge audience, but it lost an equally huge chunk. If it stabilizes where it’s at right now, it will probably be okay, but if it continues to lose viewers it’s gonna be in deep shit with how much it costs to make.

I don’t know if that’s my thing

I’d recommend watching the first episode if you can get a hold of it. You will most likely know by the end of the first episode if it’s a show you will find interesting or not.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

Hmm. I really enjoyed the second episode, it really helped solidify the kind of structure we'd be expecting from the series, but even though the Situation Of The Day was resolved within the half hour, it left a lot of stuff open for future development. It did expect a LOT of prior knowledge about specific events in the movies, though, so that could be a turn-off. I've only seen Iron Man 1 & 2 and Avengers, so a lot of the references might go over me. There was also a lot of mushy Yay Teamwork, which could have put some viewers off. We know from the Wolverine franchise that Brooding Lone Wolf characters are more popular than nerds going on about working as a team and resolving differences and accepting responsibility, and so on.

I'll keep an open mind though, it might end up like The Cape, which was really cool for the first three or so episodes, and then rapidly sort of lost it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorApep

Sansa, you are aware that the MLB Playoffs have started, right? That’s probably responsible for at least part of the drop off.

And I think the “success” of the Wolverine movies is because some people will see anything with Wolverine in it, regardless of whether he can carry a whole movie or not (which he can’t).

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187

Sansa, you are aware that the MLB Playoffs have started, right? That’s probably responsible for at least part of the drop off.

I doubt it. Baseball is a very regional sport, and there are only a handful of teams that draw national ratings. It doesn’t really suck in casual fans with no rooting interest the way the NFL does. The NL wildcard game was last night, and while I’m sure it drew better than normal because it was the Pirates’ first postseason appearance in 20 years, basically nobody cares about the Reds outside of Ohio. Even the World Series doesn’t draw all that well unless it’s got the Yankees or the Red Sox playing.

e: I looked it up, and the game notched a 1.3, which is slightly more than a pair of Family Guy reruns on Adult Swim pulled down.

Pretty much all network series drop off between the pilot and the second episode, it’s just a question of magnitude. It’s likely some portion of the drop will get made up in time-shifted viewing, but it’s still not a good sign. It’s in a very competitive time slot.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2013

Anyone watch orange is the new black or whatever? I dont know anything about it, but ive heard its quite good

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2013 edited

Anyone watch orange is the new black or whatever?

I’ve seen the first season and liked it a lot. If you decide to watch it, be aware that it gets better after the pilot. Most of the show’s strength is in the supporting characters, and the first episode (second too, to a lesser extent) doesn’t have a lot of time to establish much beyond the main character and her fiance (who can both be pretty unlikeable, although that’s the point.) I was pleasantly surprised by how well the blend of drama and comedy works, as well as how quickly I became attached to certain characters.

Does anyone else watch Arrow? It’s a CW show, but I actually like it a lot, and I was wondering if anyone else had any opinions on it.

•  
      CommentAuthorResistance
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2013

Sometimes I find myself really disliking the main character in shows like that; but loving a supporting character. In Prison Break, for example, Michael would always get on my nerves, and I just watched the show for T-Bag. And in the Walking Dead, I don’t really find Rick that interesting, and pretty much only watch the show for Norman Reedus who plays Daryl.

That’s usually because characters like that are designed to be bland so the viewer can “relate” to them. Considering how far the medium has pushed in the last ten years, I feel like that approach in today’s shows is usually a sign of disrespect toward the audience.