Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

I have watched and rewatched too many bad anime for the purposes of the podcast. It burns to see a moe girl now.

•  
      CommentAuthorTheArmourer
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2012 edited

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2012

Twi looks seriously creepy there. Like she’s going to strangle someone (herself?) with her mane. Which I just misspelled as “maine”.

The Dexter ending was bullshit. There has been far too much bullshit in that show the last few seasons.

•  
      CommentAuthorlilyWhite

I still need to watch more My Little Pony. I think I’ve only watched the first four episodes so far. I’ve probably spent more time looking for MLP fanart than the show itself; I can never find the time to watch television shows.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

•  
      CommentAuthorlilyWhite

• CommentAuthorNossus

I’ve only watched 10 episodes of this season of Dexter but it’s been great from what I’ve seen. Easily one of the best seasons of the show (5 and 6 being awful and the worst of course)

I haven’t watched this season since I didn’t want to get suckered in after the last few seasons of bullshit, but word’s been it’s kinda gone off the rails again after a surprisingly strong start.

It did start off much better than the previous two (which I agree were awful). Then it went weird. Then it got a bit better again. It’s been really up and down as far as quality and believably in my opinion. But the end of the finale went beyond my suspension of disbelief because I don’t think it was true to one of the characters.

EDIT:
    I’m also tired of people defending everything Dexter does like he’s a hero. He may be the protagonist, but he’s not the good guy. He kills because he has an uncontrollable (so he says) urge to do so and happens to channel it into killing bad people. That doesn’t make him a hero. Plus he’s done a lot of questionable things as well that shouldn’t just be hand waved away.

• CommentAuthorNossus
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2012

I can’t imagine the finale being bad enough to mar the entire season which has been stellar as far as I’ve watched. The one thing that I don’t like is that Hannah is essentially the exact same character as Lumen, they even look the same.

^^See, I don’t think that the whole seasons has been great, though. I think parts have been quite good and other parts not so much. I actually think Hannah is different than Lumen, though perhaps not different enough.

Spoilers for why I think they’re different:

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2012

I’ve been a fan of A Game of Thrones (the books) for, like, three weeks, and already I’m into whiny IT’S NOT EXACTLY HOW I PICTURED IT mode with the show.

No, but seriously, I started watching the show (I’m through the first three books, I’m pretty sure there’s nothing that could get spoiled for me from the show at this point) and at least the first episode is pretty great. I can’t even get all mad about Joffrey looking at Sansa because I’m just so gleeful that not only did I discover a great book series, but there’s also an excellent TV show of it.

I still can’t accept Sean Bean as Ned (I just keep wondering why Boromir is hanging out in Westeros), but aside from that everyone does look more or less like I imagined them, which is cool.

I still can’t accept Sean Bean as Ned (I just keep wondering why Boromir is hanging out in Westeros)

It took me a while to get used to it too, but he looks so much older now it wasn’t so difficult for me.

• CommentAuthorNossus

Should have watched the show first (dead serious)

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Really? So far I feel like I’m glad I read the books first… I feel like I wouldn’t able to follow it half as well.

• CommentAuthorNossus

Well, with the exception of some stuff from season 2, I think the show improved on the source material a lot. I think George R.R. Martin is actually a mediocre writer. Some of the sentences in those books make me cringe, they’re as bad as anything sporked on this site. But the plot, characters, world, etc are all brilliant.

I tried reading A Game of Thrones like 5 years ago and couldn’t get into it. I liked it way more after watching the show, which is why I suggested that.

Then again my opinions on most things tend to be unpopular.

• CommentAuthorNossus
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2012 edited

I finally finished Dexter. That was one of the best seasons of the series by far, maybe the second best.

This is the season we SHOULD have gotten 2 years ago.

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2013

Uh oh.

Supernatural is on Netflix.

I clicked on Season 1, Pilot.

What am I doing this is so not gonna end well…

• CommentAuthorNossus

I torrented all of King of the Hill.

Why would you do that?

King of the Hill

This was a good decision.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea

Once I started watching it, I ended up buying the first four seasons, but season 5 I just watched on Netflix. Still haven’t seen more than one episode beyond that.

• CommentAuthorDave

Oh, South Park, you make me giggle. Even when I really shouldn’t.

Dear God, The Proud Family.

Dear God, The Proud Family.

The Proud Family is the pinnacle of children’s entertainment.

rivaled only by mister T

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2013

I thought it was hilarious, especially how it blatantly pandered to as many media tropes relating to father figures as it possibly could, from Bumbling Dad, through Men Use Violence, Overprotective Father, Wife’s Name Is Catchphrase, Jerk With A Heart of Gold, Husband is Always Wrong (Even When He’s Right), Not The Favourite Child, Henpecked Husband, Crackpot Get Rich Scheme, and right back full circle to Hot Wife / Ugly Husband.

• CommentTimeJan 15th 2013

Downton Abbey Season 2 Spoilers

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

DA Season 3 spoilers:

Edith’s the only character I’m that vested in any more

ME TOO. Willow and I were having a prolonged whisper discussion about this.

But maybe I’m not a true DA fan because I got fed up with the overly soapy writing in S2 and never looked back.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

ME TOO. Willow and I were having a prolonged whisper discussion about this.

I’m glad I’m not alone!

But maybe I’m not a true DA fan because I got fed up with the overly soapy writing in S2 and never looked back.

Yeah, it got pretty obnoxious. So far I’ve enjoyed a lot of season 3, but there are still so many pointless plotlines that serve no purpose that I just.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea

I’m just so disappointed with where they chose to take NCIS as of last week, well, and this week too, since it was a two-parter.

...Really, I shouldn’t be, because this season’s been weak anyway, and also is determined to be a soap opera. But they do so well as your generic ensemble crime drama! And they don’t even worry as much about characterization than a soap opera would.

See, I rolled with Season 2… yes, it’s a little ridiculous, but I willing watched Days of Our Lives one shame filled summer in middle school. And, you know, the writing is much higher standard.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea

I’m thinking, this episode especially, they just hired a bunch of fanfic writers. Not that there’s anything wrong about fan fiction, but they just covered the screaming nightmare scene, which doesn’t really work. And the illogic and inconsistencies…it’s just so melodrama for the sake of melodrama and I’m not that invested. But even the writers will forget by next week (they don’t do arc storylines well) and I can enjoy it again.

...NCIS still, or Downton Abbey?

•  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2013

Oh, me, NCIS was still on when I posted…because so much of it was lame fan service. Sorry for ending up in the middle of your conversation! I need to catch up on DA; I only got through maybe half the first season.

As for soapy writing, why is that the easy answer? I think television writers may not appreciate how difficult proper soap opera style is and just take elements of it that don’t fit with the source material. /mock analysis

• CommentTimeJan 16th 2013 edited

...I like the soapy elements to Downton. With one notable exception I think it feels…kinda true to how life would have been? Yeah, the Granthams and servants are interesting and unusual, but why make a tv show about a fictitious family/servants that are typical and boring?

•  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2013

That much I grant you! Most shows it works for me, too.

Like last night I was watching Bunheads, and they had a number of high school scenes which were ridiculously over the top, and yet was some of the most convincing high school drama I’ve seen on tv. Because it was how the drama felt back then, instead of boring reality. Also, clever writing.

I’d never seen Malcolm in the Middle before, but can I just say that Bryan Cranston looks much more intimidating with his revamped mustache/goatee/bald look?

Yeah, the Granthams and servants are interesting and unusual, but why make a tv show about a fictitious family/servants that are typical and boring?

I have no problems with unrealistic plots in a fluffy show, but there are certain parts of DA S2 that just irked me. RANT AHEAD.

In short, I was not a happy camper.

I’d never seen Malcolm in the Middle before, but can I just say that Bryan Cranston looks much more intimidating with his revamped mustache/goatee/bald look?

Does this mean you’re watching BrBa?

Does this mean you’re watching BrBa?

Unfortunately not. It just means that I happened to come across Malcolm in the Middle on IFC and I know what Walter White looks like. At this point, I figured that I might as well just wait for the series to finish and watch the whole thing in one fell swoop. IT’S ON MY LIST.

That’s a reasonable strategy to avoid the horrible pains we regular BrBa viewers are enduring as we wait for the last half season.

...In other TV news, Archer comes back tonight. Hell yes.

Finished Fate/Zero a few days ago. Was awesome. Like “Oh my God, why aren’t all anime like this?” awesome.

Uh oh.
    Supernatural is on Netflix.
    What am I doing this is so not gonna end well…

You mean it’s going to end AWESOME!

Don’t infect me with your Wincest! Besides, I already know that the cool characters are Castiel and Crowley.

Dude! Spoilers!

Crowley is amazing.

Crowley Mark Sheppard is amazing.

Fixed it for you.

(seriously, WHY DOES THAT GUY NOT HAVE MORE WORK??)

This fills me with such joy.

@Nate

That is amazing.

EDIT:
    squints

Is Dean still wearing the amulet there?

Well of course. Notice that uriel is still alive and in the picture so it’s clearly before Dean tosses the amulet.

Dean tosses the amulet.

that never happened

• CommentAuthorNossus
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2013

I’m watching season 3 of Deadwood. Best show.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2013

Dean tosses

that never happened

In fanfic it did. Somewhere.

So apparently My kitchen Rules, which is this Australian cooking show where pairs of so-called “Ordinary Australians” are grouped up and compete for the best “instant restaurant’ as judged by their fellow contestants and two host judges, and then do a bunch of other food-related things afterwards, ois the number-one show right now.

... stuff the free-to-air telly, I’ve got the Blackadder DVDs.

I saw a J-Drama based off of The Brothers Karamazov. The rest is self-explanatory.

I saw a J-Drama based off of The Brothers Karamazov. The rest is self-explanatory.

what

A Japanese series named Karamazov no Kyodai. Seriously, I was just as confused as you.

A Japanese series named Karamazov no Kyodai. Seriously, I was just as confused as you.

what
    why

Because someone read Dostoevsky, and decided that the work needed pretty Japanese men.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2013

Doesn't everything?

Say that again when they make a J-Drama of Doctor Who.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2013

...that actually sounds kind of awesome in its insanity. Something is clearly wrong with my coolmeter today.
    • CommentAuthorNossus
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2013

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2013 edited

That makes me feel bad for laughing, but laugh I did.

Other TV related shit: Watching Freaks and Geeks in 2013 is a weird, weird experience.

e: Also I watched Luther this weekend and enjoyed it because Idris Elba.

Had a mini Star Trek marathon with some other guys where we watched Spock’s Brain, Dear Doctor, Night In Sickbay, and Real Life. Yeah.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2013

Okay, I’ve seen every episode of The Following and I have to ask – where are the stupid/weak-willed members of this cult? I can accept that the leader and a lot of the important members are going to be pretty smart, but so far most of them have been borderline diabolical. There’s only been one guy who’s actually been stupid, and he was in the first episode. If these people are so smart, why are they in a serial killer’s cult?

I'll soon be liveblogging "The Vampire Diaries" to see how much farther down the shitter it can go and whether or not it'll drive me into a hysterical rage because of all the misogyny and general douchebaggery.

Guess I should put this here…

Ok, I’ve watched all the Terry Pratchett adaptions. In order of accessibility:

3) the Color of Magic – Despite a strong actor pedigree to it (Tim Curry? Sean Astin? Jeremy IRONS??) there are just a lot of plot points and subtleties that do not come across to those uninitiated. Particularly it’s hard to grasp when something happens “just because” (aka, suspension of disbelief) and when there is an in story reason behind it.

2) Hogfather – Actually still kind of obtuse. I had the sf debris reviews to help out and there’s still some things I missed. Still, the best and most important stuff about it (like Death as Christmas) is awesome and carries one through regardless.

1) Going Postal – One that seems to have had less budget (and fewer famous names attached to it) yet I can’t help but admit I LOVED this one, plus it’s 100% accessible to the Pratchett n00b. Though there were some parts that I could tell must have been lifted directly from the book yet needed to be tweaked to make it fit in visual media. Still, a great one I think fans and n00bs alike can enjoy.

MLP:FiM S3 is being posted to Netflix. Hooray! If you care about that stuff.

Have I mentioned Legend of Korra is awesome?

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2013

Hogfather is great, but I don’t know how great it would be if you hadn’t read the book. I’m assuming from the above that you haven’t? Because you should. You really, really should.

Correct, I haven’t read them but hopefully someday I can.

And hence my above grading scale.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

I haven’t read it either, but I still enjoyed it.

Then again, I also read two of the lead-in books (Mort and Soul Music) so I was already pretty familiar with Death and his gang.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

Hogfather was what got me into Pratchett’s stuff, interestingly. While I guessed from Susan’s reaction to the raven that it was based on a sequel book, that was really the only thing that confused me. Otherwise, it was great and funny and after reading the book, it’s a fantastic adaptation. I think it made the jokes a lot more “setup, punchline” than they were in the book, but it was still good.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2013

Why I have I been seeing roller derby on all the tv shows over the past few weeks?

The Neverwhere radio serial is AWESOME, at least the first episode! I really like the cast, and the cherry on top was Neil Gaiman’s hilarious Fop with No Name. Highly recommended.

GoT Season 3 tomorrow. It’ll probably own bones again, but I’m not as excited about it as a I could be, since I’m still imagining a version of the show that has Jimmy McNulty as Mance Rayder.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2013 edited

Oh man, I totally forgot. I love it when a new season starts, because then I can throw my head back and laugh at all of the “theories” the peasants who haven’t read the book series come up with. What’s that? Dany is on a boat? HO HO HO

So guess what I’m doing tomorrow? Going from home, which has HBO, to my dorm, which does not. Time is not on my side. :P

At least I can’t be spoiled about what happens.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2013

That was one of the few down sides of graduating – I only got to watch a few episodes of Game of Thrones before having to leave.

Oh man, I totally forgot. I love it when a new season starts, because then I can throw my head back and laugh at all of the “theories” the peasants who haven’t read the book series come up with. What’s that? Dany is on a boat? HO HO HO

I love that. I forced my friend to borrow my DVDs a month ago so he could catch up, and hearing his speculation and theorizing in between episodes was delightful. Sometimes I wish I could forget the books when the show is in season so I could do it too.

So guess what I’m doing tomorrow? Going from home, which has HBO, to my dorm, which does not. Time is not on my side. :P

Well, at least it shouldn’t be that hard to track down at school, if you’ve got the inclination.

Well, at least it shouldn’t be that hard to track down at school, if you’ve got the inclination.

I ran into a high-school friend at the airport, and she invited me to her viewing party tonight. SCORE.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2013

I finished the first season of House of Cards.

Man oh man. Once I started I just couldn’t stop. I wasn’t completely sure what to expect at first. The format of the show is a bit unusual, but it’s interesting and very well executed and thought out. Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright do an excellent job, as do most of the other actors. Really the only actor I don’t like is the one who plays that one reporter chick (who’s name is somehow escaping me at the moment.)

While Spacey and Wright’s acting is superb, I do feel like the writing is at times mediocre and leaves something to be desired. Spacey does a fantastic job of disguising his true character underneath his “Southern hospitality,” but I feel like the Shakespeare speeches and whatnot sometimes went a bit over the top.

The story sucked me in completely though. I especially found it interesting how it’s actually set in present day. Throughout there are references to events that occurred only months ago. It really helps with the sense of immersion. And as mentioned above, with the exception of the reporter chick, I found pretty much all of the characters interesting (yeah, I’m using that word a lot); They all have their own motivations and goals and are all playing the game with each other, unaware that each and every one of them is just an unsuspecting puppet to someone further up the food chain. The politics reminded me a lot of A Game of Thrones.

I will say this, however: Having Kevin Spacey as the “main character” of the show made the unfolding of the plot fairly predictable. I won’t spoil anything, but literally nothing came as a “surprise” to me. While the story is portrayed as a complex mess of relationships, it unfolds in a very linear and clean fashion. It does make the payoff a little less satisfying, and I can’t help but feel a little bit disappointed about the season “finale” because it was clear from the beginning how it was going to end.

Overall though it’s an excellent show. The acting is superb, the writing generally good, and it does a great job of hooking you in from the very first episode.

Other notes: Freddy the BBQ guy is Carcetti’s manager from The Wire. I’m glad to say he’s still as much of a badass as he was back then.

Also, I really like the soundtrack. It really brings some emotional weight to the show. It’s kind of hard to describe, but the soundtrack just contributes so much to the atmosphere of every scene.

Anyhoo, I’m off to bed

Supernatural, oh my god. This show. The chemistry between Sam and Dean is unbelievable. I have never seen such a strong brother relationship in a movie/tv show. Hell, I would buy that they were brother irl if I didn’t know better.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

Yeah. You know one of the few good things about not watching a show like that when it’s on-air? You get to binge like crazy.

I’m caught up through season 6 right now, and going to start in on season 7 soon.

I’m halfway through season 3… NO NO DEAN, YOU HAVE TO BE OKAY DAMMIT.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

Sorry. I’ll avoid saying anything specific. Let’s just say, things continue to escalate.

I’m halfway through season 3… NO NO DEAN, YOU HAVE TO BE OKAY DAMMIT.

It gets worse.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

That’s an understatement.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea

That’s an understatement.

No kidding! Although I’m fascinated seeing the reactions from this side (and very glad I didn’t start watching until season 5 was already airing).

Also, Supernatural holds but very well against spoilers. I was reading fan fic about it before I even considered actually watching the show and it was always better than I expected or imagined and took me by surprise.

No kidding! Although I’m fascinated seeing the reactions from this side (and very glad I didn’t start watching until season 5 was already airing).

I stopped watching after season six though because really it should have ended with five.

Yeah, tumblr has spoiled a LOT of stuff for me, but I don’t have any context. So if anything, I’m even more on edge because I know horrible, HORRIBLE things happen, I just don’t know when, or why, or how they get out of it. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH.

@Karamazova- I’ve heard season 7 and 8 are actually really good, might want to give it a chance again sometime.

@Karamazova- I’ve heard season 7 and 8 are actually really good, might want to give it a chance again sometime

Really? I heard that seven was awful but eight was better.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2013

I watched the first episode of House of Cards. It’s quite good, even if it’s got too many actors who look similar. Trying to figure out who was who was horrible at some points. :/

Supernatural whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. GODDAMMIT SAMMY.

Mystery Spot. I WAS TOLD IT WAS FUNNY. THEY LIED.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I watched the first episode of House of Cards. It’s quite good, even if it’s got too many actors who look similar. Trying to figure out who was who was horrible at some points. :/

Same. It gets better. The characters are all unique enough that by episode 3 you should have no problem telling them apart.

One thing I forgot to mention: Product placement doesn’t really bother me in television/movies, but gawd, there is so so so so soooooooooooooooo much Apple product placement in House of Cards it’s ridiculous. It isn’t even the “hipster trendy white iPhone nerd” kind of product placement. Everything everywhere is Apple.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

Same. It gets better. The characters are all unique enough that by episode 3 you should have no problem telling them apart.

Yeah, most shows that I have issues with clear up after a few episodes. It’s just generally irritating that they can’t bother to not cast two balding thin white dudes whose characters are both closely subordinate to the protagonist. Grrr

GoT has always been well-casted, but goddamn the Queen of Thorns is a home run so far.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2013

She is an… interesting lady. I would say cool, but I am unappreciative of how certain individuals were, shall we say, cast to the wayside once their usefulness was done.

Yeah, cool isn’t really the word I’d use for most of the characters in there(except Jaime obv). She is compelling, though.

Other TV stuff: binging on Season 5 of Justified the last few days and my mancrush on Timothy Olyphant is powerful as ever. Homie can wear a cowboy hat.