Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorNossus
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2012

How do you do spoilers?

Anyway, great episode.

Anyone else think Small Town Security is literally the worst show ever made in the history of television?

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2012

Just click the “insert hidden text” tab to the top right of the post box. Text between the two hide tags will be hidden like above.

• CommentAuthorNossus
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2012 edited

Thanks, Puppet.

Breaking Bad spoiler:

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2012 edited

You click the “insert hidden text” tab thing and it puts the hide tags in, then you type what you want to hide between them.

BrBa not-spoiler:

Fuck Walter White forever.

Black Dynamite is love.

• CommentAuthorNossus
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2012

Fuck Walter White forever.

The Wire has lost its position as most nihilistic TV show. That position now goes to Here Comes Honey Boo Boo.

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2012 edited

[insert multiparagraph digression about how The Wire isn’t nihilistic at all]

That Honey Boo Boo shit does seem horrifying and depressing, though.

In other TV news, I’ve been shotgunning episodes of Home Movies while I do my rewriting. It still rules.

Coach McGuirk is still one of the best characters in fiction.

• CommentAuthorNossus
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2012

I suppose I should watch The Wire.

Please do.

Also, I watched this season of Futurama, and I didn’t like it. It felt like deja vu of watching season 11 of The Simpsons, when the show was using odd premises and having characters become exaggerated for the sake of a dumb joke. It already sucked having to watch my favorite cartoon as a kid turn into shit. It fucking hurts to see this process happening again.

Coach McGuirk is still one of the best characters in fiction.

Agreed.

I suppose I should watch The Wire.

No shit.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

So ABC’s got a Joss Whedon S.H.I.E.L.D. show in production.

White dudes ahoy!

• CommentAuthorNossus

No shit.

I’ve got better things to do at the moment. But someday I will see if the hype was worth it.

Just watched series 5 of The Big Bang Theory.

Somehow, and I didn’t notice how it happened, but Sheldon/Amy now seems better to me than Sheldon/Penny. Though I don’t actually like Amy.

more ruminations on the same…

Also, I realised somewhere along the way that I wasn’t watching BBT for the humour, but for the storyline, which of course took forever, because the main focus isn’t the plot. I have just realised I do this for every sitcom that I watch. It becomes less about enjoying each individual episode and more about ‘where is this going? hurry up!’

Maybe I need to find some more plot-heavy shows with a lot of funny moments as opposed to sitcoms. Any suggestions, guys?

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2012

Sheldon/Penny was a thing?!

I really need to get started on Season 2.

Oops, sorry. Sheldon/Penny was never a canon thing and probably never will be. It’s definitely the most popular in the fandom though, and I think that whilst there are many scenarios in which they might kill each other, it probably could work. Most people I know IRL actually agree, which is interesting.

I should have specified a bit more but due to so many people thinking the same thing in general conversation, I guess I just assumed everyone knew what I was talking about.

Maybe I need to find some more plot-heavy shows with a lot of funny moments as opposed to sitcoms. Any suggestions, guys?

Maybe you should watch a real nerd show like, I dunno, Community maybe?

Sheldon/Penny? Wait, this is really the fan preferred couple? They would kill each other before a week.

Mm, not Big Bang Theory, that’s for sure. Most long-running shows, especially sitcoms, don’t have many plot-points because they need to stretch it out and not break the status quo. I would recommend Avatar but there are a lot of random tangents on that show. Other favorites, like Arrested Development, don’t focus on plot so much as general craziness.

But sansa’s recommendation of Community is probably best, though I’ve never seen it. Is it on Hulu?

• CommentAuthorNossus
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2012

Trailer Park Boys

But sansa’s recommendation of Community is probably best, though I’ve never seen it. Is it on Hulu?

The whole series is streamable on Hulu-Plus, and the first two seasons are available on Netflix DVD.

So, the cliffhanger is going to sting for the next 10 months.

The end was amazing. I almost want to freeze myself so I can wake up when the final half of the season starts.

I just realized how much Francis looks like Jesse in that picture. And Malcolm kind of looks like a young Walt Jr.

• CommentAuthorNossus
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2012

Really good finale.

• CommentAuthorNossus
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2012

I am marathoning The Wire.

Excellent.

• CommentAuthorNossus

Just finished season 1.

Great.

It gets a lot better. S2 does have a pretty slow start though, and a lot of people don’t like it at first. S3 and S4 are amazing, though.

• CommentAuthorNossus

Ugh… Tom Waits does the theme for season 2… can’t fucking stand Tom Waits, god…

Yeah, it’s his song originally, but the S1 version is probably the best of them. I like the S3 one too.

So, I’m doing this project, and I’m wondering what you guys would consider superb SF/Fantasy shows.

I think most people would throw out Firefly, but I personally think superb is an overstatement. I guess you could make a case for Game of Thrones?

I am just now realizing that I really don’t watch SF/Fantasy shows much at all.

Dude, you should totally watch Babylon 5.

I nominate Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Pulpy, yes, and it degenerated in later seasons, but it had a big influence.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2012

Does Batman: The Animated Series or Justice League count?

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

Batman: The Brave and the Bold

\m/

No, not really.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2012 edited

Dude, you should totally watch Babylon 5.

Yeeesssssssss!

Firefly is overrated, IMO. Not bad, but anything Josh Whedon is overrated.

Not always what I’d call “superb”, but definitely entertaining (and in no particular order): Eureka, Stargate: SG1 (before all the stupid Ori shit; the only reasons to watch the Ori mess are Ba’al and Vala), Farscape, Xena: Warrior Princess, Legend of the Seeker, Monkey, X-Files, Twilight Zone, Doctor Who, the original BSG, Sanctuary, Star Trek: DS9 and TNG and TOS of course.

VOY is okay if you’re not marathoning it. ENT is better when marathoned selectively.

The new BSG just struck me as being “dark and gritty” just because. Ew.

Does Batman: The Animated Series or Justice League count?

We’re trying to do live-action only shows for this since we’ve already done a project featuring some of those series.

No, not really.

Dude, BTBATB is awesome.

Also, I had to divide Doctor Who into two series for this project. And the results will piss pretty much everybody off.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Doctor Who is so enormous, you could split it into eleven series.

(for the record, as much as I love Who, I readily admit large swathes of it are not what I would consider “superb”.)

Really, when people refer to the old series as superb, they’re usually referring to Tom Baker’s first three seasons.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

And they definitely aren’t referring to the special effects, unless they’re being sarcastic.

I cannot name a single old Doctor Who story that had good production values.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2012

But that’s what adds to the charm.

;P

I don’t know. Even the actors from the original series have repeatedly stated that they wished the BBC was able to establish good production values for the show back then.

I’m having a genuine dilemma over whether or not Breaking Bad is science fiction.

I’m having a genuine dilemma over whether or not Breaking Bad is science fiction.

Well, it’s revealed that Walt is an alien at the end of season three if that helps you.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2012

I’ve been re-watching Gundam 00 in delicious 1080p Blu Ray goodness. While I didn’t particularly like the direction the show took in terms of plot, story and character development, the animation is absolutely gorgeous and awesome.

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2012 edited

I was expecting Touch to be really really good. The one with Kiefer Sutherland.

It isn’t. :(

It’s not bad, but I wanted to love it for some reason.

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2012

Finished watching North and South.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.

BELL. TELL THORNTON IT’S HER BROTHER. FOR CHRIST’S SAKE. Fanny, you are such a bitch. HARRY, STOP WITH YOUR GLOATING ABOUT THORNTON BEING IN TROUBLE. Gahhhhhhh can we stop with the misunderstandings please? Ohai Nicholas. Brother? THANK YOU, NICHOLAS! And the penny drops…“It was her brother?”

THANK FUCK, FINALLY.

And then the train station gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2012 edited

HARRY, STOP WITH YOUR GLOATING

can we stop with the misunderstandings please?

And then the train station

Only thing I can think of is some kind of weird Harry Potter fanfic.

Is that the civil war series about Constant Flying Hazard, or whatever her name was? I only remember that name.

• CommentTimeSep 25th 2012

No, that’s the American version of North & South. This one is the UK version, based on an Elizabeth Gaskell novel. It’s about the industrial revolution.

Cracked did a live blogging thing on Dexter yesterday. I was looking at it this morning, and one of the first comments was this:

Adam Brown: Adam: I haven’t seen an episode of Dexter since the first season. Has anything changed?

Daniel O’Brien: Oh, everything changed. So, Dexter left Miami and moved in with his family at a funeral home.

XD

So after much prodding I finally eased my moratorium on Brit TV a little and watched the first season of Sherlock. It was pretty okay, I thought. Not quite sure why people flip shit about it, but it was entertaining enough. The first episode was the best of the three, though.

As a person who flips their shit, I can’t really explain why it happens (Martin Freeman and Benedict Cumberbatch on the screen at the same time seems to do it for a lot of girls, myself included), except I have heaps of fun when I watch it with my friends and we giggle about silly things.

I personally prefer S1 E3, but that’s just because Moriarty shows up, and he’s crazy. It’s outlandish and over-the-top at times, and you don’t really know why Watson is so forbearing towards Sherlock, but it’s fun to watch all the characters chew up the scenery. Also I think it’s quite beautifully shot at times. Sometimes the writing goes a bit off the rails (see S2 E1) but overall it’s a great show to just watch for entertainment.

I have yet to see the American adaptation- I don’t have any problem with it because there are so many Sherlock adaptations out there anyways (except the minor quibble that if they wanted to be all avant-garde and genderflip, they should have made Sherlock a girl. That would have been AWESOME.) But I like the mix of silliness and suspense in the British version, and it looks like ‘Elementary’ is going for a bit more serious crime-procedural tone, in which case you might as well just watch ‘The Mentalist’ or ‘House’.

My favorite episode is S2E1. Scandal in Belgravia. IRENE ADLER, YES. It was also just a really clean, well done episode.

^ The WTF episode ending kind of displeased me. Although the actress they picked for Adler was pretty fun, there were some elements about the way the way she was written that rubbed me the wrong way.

(Martin Freeman and Benedict Cumberbatch on the screen at the same time seems to do it for a lot of girls, myself included)

Yeah, I figured that might have something to do with it.

I’ll probably watch Season 2 when I have the time to spare.

I still haven’t seen S2E3. Can’t bear to make myself.

@SWQ

Yeah, the episode ending didn’t quite make sense. I thought it was ok though. And S2E2 was awful.

I view Moriarty as basically Heath Ledger’s rendition of The Joker, but with a British accent.

Eh, the comparison makes sense, but I think Moriarty is just too silly to be compared with Ledger’s Joker (see S2 E3). The Joker had a lot of comedic moments that were just dark, and fit in overall with his persona of a demented clown in a very depressing movie. Watching Moriarty is more like mood-whiplash, all the time. Also, Moriarty is much more of a planner, even if he doesn’t seem it. It’s almost as if his exterior craziness is designed to make you forget how cunning he actually is. (While the Joker kind of just does whatever catches his fancy. Moriarty implies that he’s somewhat the same way, but he’s always the head of the organization, while Joker is a wild cannon.)

he was so ridiculously hammy

That’s why I liked him, actually. It was a weird interpretation for this kind of character, and wacky arch-nemesis is a difficult thing to pull off. I think his particular brand of craziness is part of what puts Sherlock off so much- it makes absolutely no sense at all.

I’ll probably watch Season 2 when I have the time to spare.

I’ll be interested what you think of the infamous second season finale. But you probably already know what happened, if you’ve ever been on the internet.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2012 edited

Re: Moriarty and Sherlock in general:

EDIT: re: S2E3: Infamous? Really? The basic plot was written a century ago… there are no surprises about what happens at the end. Well, there are, but not about the central events. Anyone who read the original knows perfectly well how things are going to go in the end.

And yet I still don’t understand HOW! Season 3 cannot possibly come quickly enough.

EDIT EDIT: Or did you mean in the sense that some people didn’t think it was good? In that case, those people are nuts. _

Infamous

Maybe ‘infamous’ was the wrong word to use. I meant it in the sense of how all-over-the-internet it is.

And yet I still don’t understand HOW! Season 3 cannot possibly come quickly enough.

I know, right? :( I have a feeling that this will be the last season, too.

I’ll be interested what you think of the infamous second season finale. But you probably already know what happened, if you’ve ever been on the internet.

I don’t actually. I knew basically nothing about the show going in except the premise and the two lead actors.

Oh. Well, maybe it’s just that all my friends are fans.

I don’t actually. I knew basically nothing about the show going in except the premise and the two lead actors.

I wish to gain your spoiler-ignoring powers.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2012 edited

Like swenson, my favorite part of Sherlock was the way they played with canon. I think the affection for and knowledge of the original text is evident and used effectively, for the most part. And I like silly.

But Elementary(the American one)...I admit, I only saw the pilot, but I hated it. This probably isn’t fair, because every Sherlock Holmes inspired tv-show (House, etc) all seem to present the character with the same few traits, but most of the episode felt any canon call-back just came from riffing Sherlock, so why bother with the names? There was just no originality or clever writing, just so typically ‘Hollywood’ in the most dismissive sense. Ended up writing some 1200 words about it. And trying the gender-flip just turned Liu into a doormat, that was the most disappointing bit, for me.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2012

Oh! You’re mariethea! I had forgotten why I had that blog followed.

I dunno about Joan Watson being a doormat. Maybe moreso in the first episode, but at least in the second episode she’s put her foot down and sassed Sherlock and not taken his crap, and I recall her doing the same things in the pilot.

I’m not sure what canon usage was just riffing Sherlock. The two most obvious canon-related things to me are the bees and his addiction backstory, neither of which are in Sherlock (to my recollection). I’m not incredibly familiar with the original books, of course, so there’s plenty of stuff I’ll have missed. On that note as well, I did feel like it wasn’t very Sherlock Holmesy. Part of it was the format, I guess—and then again, I’d say the same of Sherlock. I’ve heard that Sherlock sort of keeps the details and changes the spirit, whereas Elementary changes the details and keeps the spirit, but again I’m not familiar with the books so I can’t say for sure.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I actually got into a discussion today about the two shows. A friend of mine saw the first episode and thought it wasn’t bad, but she never saw Sherlock so she couldn’t compare for me (who’s the opposite—I’ve seen all of Sherlock but not Elementary). So I’m not going to watch until I know that people think it’s good (or I’ll never watch, if people dislike it enough).

^ Most of the reviews from the mainstream media I’ve read seem pretty positive.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea

@Soupnazi: That’s happened to me! Yeah, I’ve only been posting again for about two months, too. As for the riffing…it’s honestly hard to describe; part of it was because of the characterization of Sherlock, the spastic-ness, the attitude, but then again, like I said, that’s a pretty consistent characterization for every iteration of the character ever in the past few years (WHY), so I don’t know. I just watched it, and for the first twenty minutes, aside from Joan, it seemed very Sherlock-esk. Maybe because they insisted on him being British for no good reason (maybe that’s where he went after Sherlock S2E3?)

Well, I did only see the first episode: I meant to at least catch the second, since pilots often struggle and rarely win me over, but I missed it. I still mean to catch it online. As for Joan, she did start to stand up to him a few times, but he always seemed to get his way.

Like I said, it just didn’t catch me at all as an audience, so I’ll have to see if they hit there strides in further episodes.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2012

I feel like I need to acknowledge that you posted but I have no idea how so here have this? (Sorry.)

•  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2012

You made me laugh, so I’ll take it XD

I have been watching Lie to Me...posted about that too, but really there’s not much to talk about. It’s like Numb3rs, but with microexpressions and psychology (supposedly). It’s fun, and good to have on while knitting. Yay, I might actually finish something!

•  
      CommentAuthorTheArmada
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2012

No mention of The Walking Dead season three premiere so far? I am disappoint.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2012

@SWQ – the funny part for me was that for the last one, I was like “hmm, that sounds kind of like The Wire…” And then they all went “Wait, we just made The Wire.”

^ Haha, yeah, I did the same.

Pretty accurate, aside from the “anti-heroes on the road to redemption” part. Walter White is on the road to somewhere, but redemption ain’t the destination.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2012

I am coming to the conclusion that the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air is basically the pinnacle of television. I mean, really now. How can you ever improve on it?

Geoffrey Butler is the biggest bro to ever appear on TV.

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2012

Just finished watching Arrested Development. Surprised at its quality, as I thought it would be one of those things the Internet hypes up that isn’t actually that great. I have to admit that the third season was a little weaker than the first two, mostly because of the Rita storyline, but it gained steam towards the end. I don’t watch much TV, so my opinion’s not worth much, but it is the funniest show I’ve ever seen.

HELP I’M STUCK IN RERUNS OF THE NANNY AND I CAN’T GET UP.

I still can’t get these J-Dramas.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2012 edited

That’s why I go for kdramas. Even though the cripplingly obvious cliches present in every single one do take their toll after a while.

EDIT: I am watching The Walking Dead though. It is possible that besides this and Grey’s Anatomy I have never seen a show where I dislike or don’t care about basically all the characters save one or two. I am considering dropping it in favor of something else, like Breaking Bad or Doctor Who.

• CommentTimeNov 15th 2012

GO FOR DOCTOR WHO.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I kept with it through about half of series 6, but Matt Smith never fully caught on with me really. I hear he’s great later though, so I shall try.

Breaking Bad

This, alldayerrday. It’s basically like Dexter if Dexter didn’t have a cast full of complete morons and the writers were way better.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I also started Breaking Bad awhile ago and stopped a couple episodes in… this does say volumes about my commitment.

The first season’s only six episodes long, so I don’t think it would be too tough to push through it if you decide to. You don’t really get to see its strongest stuff in that span, but it still gives you a pretty good sampler platter of craziness.

I’m still reeling at how it’ll take 8 more months for the last episodes to run.

Yes, that shit is gonna be cray cray. I would like to travel forward in the future in order to see it.

@Spanman
    Did you watch Doctor Who from the beginning or did you start with the Matt Smith episodes? I still like Tennant much better, you might like those.

And Breaking Bad is great. I would highly suggest trying it again.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2012 edited

did you start with the Matt Smith episodes?

Goodness sakes, no. That would just be sacrilege.

Does anyone watch "Lost Girl"? I can't wait for the Season 3 premiere in January. If you don't watch it, I suggest you go and watch the pilot episode. If you don't love Kenzie and Bo by the episode I will be genuinely shocked.

Watching a show called Fate/Zero. It’s doing rather well in satisfying my fantasy cravings.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2012 edited

Since my friend is starting his first viewing of The Wire I figured I would go ahead and start my second viewing simultaneously. I told myself I would only watch one episode tonight… But once I started I just couldn’t stop. I’m three episodes into season one again and I simply can’t stop. Hands down the best TV show I have ever had the absolute pleasure of watching.

I find myself doing that pretty much every time somebody I know starts it. I’ve seen S1 a borderline embarrassing number of times now.