Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

Littlefinger’s voice gets on my nerves.

@SWQ
    I don’t see why we needed Stannis/Melisandre sex at all. Isn’t Stannis being faithful to his awful wife supposed to show how honorable he is?

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2012

Littlefinger doesn’t always work for me, but I think it has a lot more to do with them overwriting the character than Aiden Gillen himself. I’ve rewatched The Wire enough to know the man can do smug weaselly charm if the material allows him to.

I agree. I thought he did great in The Wire, and I think the writers are underestimating his acting ability.

Introduced a friend to Buffy. I feel proud of myself.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2012

Astrid got shot, guys.

Astrid got shot.

I mean, she shouldn’t die since she was in the future the episode before last, but still—the only character I actually care about on Fringe got shot.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2012

So I’m watching Sherlock for the first time. The man himself has been onscreen for, oh, thirty seconds so far, and I am in love already.

Tonks was naked. Childhood ruined.

•  
      CommentAuthorPryotra
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2012 edited

So I’m watching Sherlock for the first time. The man himself has been onscreen for, oh, thirty seconds so far, and I am in love already.

I know the feeling.

GENIUS IDEA: Kick out Christina Aguilera on The Voice, replace her with Lady Gaga. Shenanigans will be had by all.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2012 edited

Yes, I occasionally watch that show. Stop laughing at me.

It’s my understanding that The Voice is basically are more mature American Idol, so I’m not sure what’s so wrong about it.

EDIT since it hasn’t been long: just finished watching the Doctor Who episodes “The Impossible Planet” and “The Satan Pit.”

ZOMG. That was AMAZING.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2012 edited

So I am watching this South Korean show called The King 2 Hearts. Despite the baffling title, after watching the 14th episode I officially love it. I liked it pretty well before, but now I’m really hooked. I spent about half of the last episode pumping my fist yelling “AW YEAH”.

EDIT: also their portrayal of American racism against Asians makes me lol so hard.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2012

also their portrayal of American racism against Asians makes me lol so hard.

What is it?

It’s my understanding that The Voice is basically are more mature American Idol, so I’m not sure what’s so wrong about it.

Eh, it’s still a stupid show. :P

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2012

NCIS: Los Angeles.

Wasn’t all that concerned with keeping up with every showing. I think I watched just a handful of episodes before picking up on season 3. It started getting very interesting then. And there’s some lying and betrayal going on there, but unfortunately some of the really tense, shocker stuff was lost on me because I’d missed out on a lot of back story by not bothering to follow it from the beginning. I still managed to enjoy it though.

Death Note.

I read the manga last year and I’m finally getting around to watching it.

The animation is pretty cool.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2012

I’ll take a potato chip… AND EAT IT!

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2012

The HIMYM finale…

wat

•  
      CommentAuthorhappycrab91
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2012 edited

HIMYM:

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2012 edited

Community finished Season 3 rather strong. Bring on Season 4!

Worst part was, as Community episodes with Troy being quietly heroic and/or self-sacrificing are wont to do, it made me imagine the brightest timeline where Donald Glover gets to play Spider-Man instead of that generic Rob Pattinson substitute and I got a little sad. “A man’s only as good as his word, or his nod through a camera to a guy with a button.”

generic Rob Pattinson substitute

WHOA I did not realize that Andrew Garfield had RPattz hair until just now. Carry on.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2012

That pixel-art game was AMAZING.

Like, I want to play that game.

WHOA I did not realize that Andrew Garfield had RPattz hair until just now. Carry on.

That’s my biggest sticking point with the reboot(aside from the fact it’s not starring Donald Glover). I could grudgingly accept Garfield but his hair is just the worst. Peter Parker would never style his hair that way.

Like, I want to play that game.

Considering how obsessive some of the fans are… there’s a chance.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2012

I can't believe no one else here is watching, let alone talking about, _Person of Interest_. I'm rather quite embarrassed.

That show looked interesting, Rocky. I just never got around to watching it, and I figured that since I watch too much TV anyway, I probably shouldn’t go out of my way for it. Is it good?

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2012

@Rocky: Actually, I do watch Person of Interest. The last episode I watched (been really busy lately) was the one where Finch was drugged and ready to spill his life-story to Reese. I haven’t been following Person of Interest really closely, because I was already watching all the CSI shows, plus Bones and Castle, but I liked every episode of Person of Interest that I managed to catch.

I should catch up on watching all the shows that I watch over the holidays or something… if I ever have time.

@NP: Well, the concept is really interesting, and from what I’ve seen, I think it’s kind of realistic. The MCs seem to have a really interesting backstory that is very slowly revealed, and I love watching their interaction with each other, and with other people. :)

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2012 edited

bq. That show looked interesting, Rocky. I just never got around to watching it, and I figured that since I watch too much TV anyway, I probably shouldn’t go out of my way for it. Is it good?

A show created by Jonah Nolan and you want to know if it's good?

I kid, I kid. I can understand the trepidation, what with shows going on and off the air so quickly. It's actually extremely good, IMO, and I haven't followed a show in years. The season finale aired last night, and not only was it a fantastic episode itself, but it closed in a way that'll put series two on its head.

Jim Caviezal plays John Reese, a presumed-dead former CIA operative; Michael Emerson play Harold Finch, a reclusive, intensely private billionaire who helped create "The Machine". The really standout aspect is that its almost set up like a crime procedural, what with the machine connected to every electronic device to analyze social behavior and produce the social security numbers of someone in NYC who will either perpetrate a violent crime or fall victim to one; Reese and Finch never know which one applies. But rather than just move from case to case, a la CSI, the series carries a multi-layered arch about Reese's past, Finch's past, and the implications of the machine and the two of them stepping outside the law to prevent these crimes from happening.

It sort of takes a Batman-like approach to crime prevention, but it delves much more heavily into the reality of it--methodology, execution, and especially the consequences.

^ You are really good at shilling things, Rocky. Now I need to watch this show.

TV Victory: My dad wants to rewatch an episode of Buffy. There is still hope for his soul.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2012

I knew what the end of the season 2 finale of Sherlock would be. I’ve read the original story, for crying out loud. Yet somehow, it still made me cry a little. That is what we call seriously good writing, acting, directing, etc. etc.

I’m so pissed off because physics boats are sucking up my life and I do not have an hour-and-a-half to watch Sherlock. :(

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2012

swenson:

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2012 edited

Dan Harmon getting fired from Community was bad enough on its own, but it caused Neil Gaiman to rescind his offer to write an Inspector Spacetime scene guest-starring that Karen Gillan lady. That would’ve been the long awaited point the show completely disappeared up its own ass and came out the other side. I’m sad the world will be deprived of this.

^^That just opened a black hole in my heart.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2012

GoT spoilers:

One last thing: I really feel bad for the people who haven’t read the books and Googled “The Rains of Castamere” after hearing it in the credits.

Cersei was absolutely amazingly awesome in this episode.

YES. I actually want Cersei to live in the books now, just so Lena Headey can play her. She does psycho-bitchiness so, so well. Her conversations with Sansa are always interesting.

No Jon Snow, which is always a good thing, in my opinion

Agreed.

I haven’t read the books in a long, long time, but if I recall correctly in the books Tyrion used a chain to trap Stannis’s fleet in the wildfire, making sure that none of them could escape.

Yeah, I was wondering about this as well. Did it just turn out confusing on screen? Who knows. But it did sound/look more amazing than I had expected; I think the fact that it was a siege and not a field battle helped.

And…I forget the story about ‘The Rains of Castamere’. Haven’t had time to reread the books, so would someone be kind enough to whisper-catch me up?

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2012

Oh! I completely forgot to mention that the Awake finale last Thursday was absolutely amazing and was surprisingly good as a series finale.

Also, anybody else seen a British show called Outnumbered?

^^Yes. Karen is the best comedy character to come out in years.

Cersei was absolutely amazingly awesome in this episode.

I think the actress who plays is always very good, but yes, this episode was great.

No Jon Snow, which is always a good thing, in my opinion

Thirded. And no, “I will take what is mine with fire and blood” either. Actually, the whole thing was in King’s Landing wasn’t it? It was nice. I think this has been my favorite episode this season.

I haven’t read the books in a long, long time, but if I recall correctly in the books Tyrion used a chain to trap Stannis’s fleet in the wildfire, making sure that none of them could escape.

There was a chain or something in the book, yeah. I think it looked really cool on the show, but there was a lot less strategy and it was less of a balanced fight, it seemed.

Also, Tyrion was awesome. He’s always awesome, but I agree with the spoilery thing that Puppet said about his part.

guest-starring that Karen Gillan lady

Amelia Pond.

Even though I don’t like Amy that much.

And no, “I will take what is mine with fire and blood” either.

Dany’s storyline just never goes anywhere interesting. I’m all for showing her gradual ascent to power, but for some reason I always skim her parts in the books, too.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2012

^^Yes. Karen is the best comedy character to come out in years. ever.

Fixed.

• CommentTimeMay 31st 2012 edited

Found a show called Suburban Shootout.

Basically, it’s posh British housewives running a mafia. And it is hilarious. Oh, and all the episodes are on Youtube.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2012 edited

I must watch this. (But not right now because right now I am listening to musics.)

Also, did anyone else not realize that Donna is on the American The Office? Mind = blown.

EDIT: Okay, watched the first episode. That is pretty much fantastic.

Season 2 isn’t really on Youtube, and what has been uploaded, the audio is out of sync. Let me know if you need it and I’ve got a download link for season 2. Waiting for it to finish downloading now, actually.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2012

I do not know much about computers or hacking or whatever super cyber smart people are doing these days, but I just started watching this show called Ghost about some cyber forensic what-have-you police, and I fell in love when I realized that it wasn’t going to be one of those shows where gorgeous nerds indiscriminately press buttons on the keyboard while spouting off ridiculous tech jargon and magically make all the problems disappear. Like this.

So far, all I’ve seen are beautifully concrete lines of code on what looks like a Windows operating system. wipes away tear of joy

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

I recently found the entire Animorphs TV series on Youtube! This is good, because Angel is over, and my Farscape dealer has left me hanging.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Woah, haven’t seen you for a while, Moldorm.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Yeeeeeaahhhh; I got a bit distracted by Real Life. There was hope, and tragedy, and triumph against the odds, and love and betrayal and squirrels and swivelly chairs and my AWESOME NEW DRESSING GOWN. Not so much of the awesome internet people and freely-available children’s TV, though.

Speaking of which – Legend of Korra. I have not yet seen it. Does this make me a bad person?

Speaking of which – Legend of Korra. I have not yet seen it. Does this make me a bad person?

Why yes, yes it does.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2012

Then to the top of my things-to-watch list it shall go!

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2012 edited

I agree with Sansa. Korra is pretty great.

Ooh, that reminds me, I saw an awesome cosplay of it the other day… I need to post that in the Avatar thread.

Ordered S1 of The Wire from the library. The timing has finally worked out- my parents and little brother will be out of the house for the next month and my older sister has a life, thus virtually guaranteeing the TV for my use. :D

>mfw

I just watched the Six Feet Under season two finale. So much upsettingness. The whole episode just seemed like different people crying. It was still good, I think, just depressing.

Power Rangers Super Samurai: so bad, it’s awesome.

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2012 edited

Can’t believe I have to wait so long for more episodes of Veep. Anyone else here watch it?

I haven’t watched it, but it looks good.

I am finally starting Breaking Bad.

About fucking time.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2012

I’m watching the 2005 BBC Bleak House. It’s great; every episode another famous actor turns up unexpectedly. So far, I’ve spotted Agravaine, Donna Noble, Sally Sparrow, Wedge Antilles, Agent Scully, Tywin Lannister, Owen Harper, and Uncle Vernon.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

So, I’m getting close to the end of season four of the new Doctor Who, and it’s my understanding that there are some TV movies that are relevant to the canonical progression—can anyone who’s watched them tell me what the proper order is from the end of season four to the beginning of season five?

The Next Doctor
    Planet of the Dead
    Water of Mars
    End of Time Pts 1 & 2
    Then you get to Series 5.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

Awesome! Thanks.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2012

I don’t know exactly why, but I’ve been fixating on sappy 80s sitcoms like Silver Spoons lately, that involve warm-fuzzy moments between fathers and sons. Perhaps it was because I’ve never had a father-figure who wasn’t either a blow-through boyfriend or an emotionally unavailable biological link. Also it was fun Seeing Mr. T cameo in a sitcom episode about a school bully.

Mr. T: “First name: Mister. Middle name is that period. Last name, T.”

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2012

I love that quote SO MUCH. And I think I saw that episode on Youtube once.

So I finally watched the first episode of The Wire...I liked it and definitely want to continue watching the show, but on the other hand, I felt like I was kind of floundering in terms of who all the characters are and their positions, etc. Hopefully that will all be straightened out later. I also felt that there were a lot of significant things that passed right over my head. Would the experts recommend watching all the episodes in a row and then going back to repeat, or what?

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2012 edited

Yeah, it took me a while to memorize the names of the characters and exactly what they did. There are a lot of characters, and the count only goes up as the show progresses. I would suggest that you just keep watching. One of the great things about The Wire is that every single character seems like a real person in that they’re all distinctive and unique. Once the plot starts moving forward (this will also take a few episode, so you’ll have to be patient) you shouldn’t have any problems recognizing characters.

If you aren’t already, I would suggest watching it with subtitles on. I didn’t have a lot of problems recognizing what the Baltimore gangsters were saying, but I still watched with them on anyway. You’ve probably already noticed that there’s a lot of slang and “street names” used in the show, watching subtitles will ensure that you don’t miss anything.

Edit: I’m actually kind of tempted to do a second watching of The Wire now. It’s about time that I did, and that way I could also discuss each episode individually with you.

I’m actually kind of tempted to do a second watching of The Wire now

Second watch is best watch. I’m due for another rewatch myself.

@SWQ: Don’t worry, that’s a really common problem for people just starting it. As long as you can keep up with the broad strokes, you’ll most likely get the hang of it after a few episodes. The thing about the show is that it never just lays things out plain and says “this is how the show mechanics work,” but it still teaches you how to watch it on its own terms if you stick with it and pay attention. It seems daunting to keep up with all the characters at first(which is pretty funny since the S1 cast is tiny compared to the later seasons), but once you spend more time with them it shouldn’t be too rough.

I would recommend watching the whole show again after you finish it, but I dunno if I’d do it right after finishing the first season. The second time is quite a bit better since you already know the stuff you struggled to keep up with in the first watch and you can appreciate just how well-constructed it is.

Thrilled you finally get to watch it, though!

Okay, sounds good. I will keep progressing through the episodes, then. As far as subtitles are concerned, I don’t watch anything without them.

I finally saw that chess clip that somebody posted all those months ago in context. That was pretty cool.

At my best friend’s house.

We’ve nearly finished the first season of Supernatural in like one sitting.

At first, I was just kinda meh about it.

Then the hormones kicked in.

Because Dean’s face.

What are his lips made of?

Just saw the first two episodes of Sherlock.

It’s pretty good, but not sure why tumblr is so obsessed with it.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2012

On the one hand, I’m glad I have Korean shows to fill in some aimless summer time with something remotely constructive (i.e. learning a language). On the other hand, I stupidly started on a couple of historical dramas where the speech is old-fashioned and I can only recognize around one in every four or five words. They’re fun though, so I suppose there’s that.

I’m glad my brother is back from India, because now we can watch Avatar together.

Finishing Season 3 of Supernatural tonight.

I anticipate many, many feels.

Just found this show called Gravity Falls. The first few minutes had an old guy blindfolding two kids and throwing them in his car.

Breaking Bad

MAGNETS

Oh wow didn’t know it had started already thanks for informing me.

•  
      CommentAuthorTheArmada
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2012

Been catching up on The Walking Dead. I like it a lot, but:

Spoilers ahoy:

Batman, the original 1966 TV show.

it’s terrifically campy.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2012

I just finished season 1 of Breaking Bad.

Awesome, Puppet. Make sure you’ve got your seatbelt fastened, because it only gets more insane.

WRT the humor/horribleness tonal mashup, that’s just part of the show, so hopefully it grows on you as you watch more. It’s got an absurdist streak that’s there pretty much from the jump(first scene, even, with Walt recording a last message to his family while awaiting a shootout with police… without any pants on). There’s gonna be a bunch of scenes that are both unsettlingly brutal and weirdly hilarious at the same time, and yes, you will be torn between cringing and laughing. Its ability to make the viewer feel uncomfortable is a big part of what makes Breaking Bad such a powerful show.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2012 edited

WRT the humor/horribleness tonal mashup, that’s just part of the show, so hopefully it grows on you as you watch more. It’s got an absurdist streak that’s there pretty much from the jump

I see it as kind of an extended metaphor for Walt’s emotional state. He’s just lost his job (if I remember right, haven’t seen it for a while) and discovered he has cancer, he’s going to be a bit of an emotional wreck, which is reflected by the sudden changes in tone within the episodes.

I haven’t actually seen beyond the first few episodes (We switched back to free-to-air TV a few episodes into season 1), so it’s entirely probable that I’m wrong, but that’s the way I remember interpreting it.

I think you’re close, at least, but as far as extended metaphor goes, I think it’s probably more in line with the disparity between Walt’s schlubbiness and what the new life he’s chosen demands of him(or perhaps the difference between Walt’s image of himself and the reality). But yeah, it definitely does get employed for metaphor over the course of the series.

You should track down the rest of it, Taku. It’s awesome.

Whoever is in charge of choosing the music for Breaking Bad does a fantastic job.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2012

Finished season 2 of Breaking Bad.

Shun the nonbeliever! Shun!

EDIT:
    And unless you just can’t stand anymore, you have to watch season three. I think 3 and 4 are both really good.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2012 edited

Korean shows are going to be the death of me. First with City Hunter and IRIS, now with 각시탈, I am reduced to a puddle of awesome emotions.

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2012

Community – I’m starting to see the great joy it brings. <3

Community – I’m starting to see the great joy it brings. <3

Apparently they tried to cast Dominic West as Mance Rayder for Season 3 of GoT but he hadn’t seen the show and wasn’t sure he wanted to spend however many months shooting in Iceland so he turned them down.

fffffffff

•  
      CommentAuthorTheArmada
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2012

Battlestar galactica anyone?

Apparently they tried to cast Dominic West as Mance Rayder for Season 3 of GoT but he hadn’t seen the show and wasn’t sure he wanted to spend however many months shooting in Iceland so he turned them down.

WHAT. GAH.

I finished Six Feet Under. I liked it, even though half the time I wanted to take several characters by the shoulders and shake them. Or punch them in the face. It was still good, though.

• CommentTimeAug 21st 2012

Saw the first episode of Game of Thrones.

I liked it.

JAIME LANNISTER is the best

Your meaning got lost in your excitement, so I tried to fix it for you. You’re welcome.

WHAT. GAH.

Yeah, it would’ve kicked so much ass you’d probably go blind. Then they could’ve cast Bunk as Tormund Giantsbane.

•  
      CommentAuthorTheArmada

Jaimie Lannister is the biggest boss in ll of the seven kingdoms.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

Jaimie Lannister is the biggest boss in ll

Wrong. The biggest boss in II is Sly, of course. :P

• CommentAuthorNossus
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2012

Breaking Bad spoiler: