Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

But my favourite show is probably Death Note. By far.

Take a potato chip… AND EAT IT!

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2009

CRUNCH!

I hate how they cut out parts of older shows to add more commercials.

On TBS, they cut out part of a Friends episode (“The One With All The Thanksgivings”). They cut out the part where Chandeler says he was called Sir-Limps-A-Lot because of his missing toe, but they left in the part after that where Ross says, “Sir-Limps-A-Lot, I came up with that.” So, to someone who’s never seen it, this makes no sense.

I can quote rather large conversations from Friends with few errors. I watch too much TV.

•  
      CommentAuthorRandomX2

Take a potato chip… AND EAT IT!

Theres a 2-minute remix of that on youtube, lol.

But srsly I think Death Note is a pretty cool guy, eh kills crimnials and doesn’t afraid of anything.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Just found out that Hulu has Death Note. :P

Better get after it, Puppet. It’s an enjoyable show.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I will, sometime, War and Peace for now. :P

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2009 edited

Meh, I dunno. I never watched the anime, only read the manga… and the manga is amazing! Has anyone read/watched both? Which do you think is better?

I’ve only seen one episode, but I think I prefer the manga.

Has anyone read/watched both? Which do you think is better?

I’ve read the manga, watched the sub up until Ladies Night, and watched the dub in its entirety. I think they’re pretty on par with each other for the most part. The anime was less work to enjoy, since it’s easier to listen to the assload of dialogue than to read it, and it does a pretty exceptional job pacing itself, which IMO is where most of the decay sets in for manga to anime adaptations.

The anime can get pretty hammy though, but I thought it made it more enjoyable, if a bit less serious.

The manga doesn’t have the POTATO CHIP eating to ominous Latin chanting, so that’s a big win in the anime’s column.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2009

The TV version of Death Note is certainly more interesting… reading the book is sort of bland, and everything seems lifeless and empty. Plus, there’s just a certain charm to Japanese animation. <3

DN is really the exception to that rather than the rule, though. Nine times out of ten the source manga is better than the anime adaptation in any given series, especially in shounen. I’m really excited for the Fairy Tail anime dropping in October, but I know it’s probably going to have terrible pacing and filler arcs.

I watched several episodes of Dead Like Me today. I never get tired of it. It’s on Hulu now too.

•  
      CommentAuthorhappycrab91
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2009 edited

Yeah I like manga source materials way better than anime adaptions, too. Though I think the Thriller Bark arc in One Piece worked better in anime because the music and colours helped to create the atmosphere of the horror theme it was conveying.

I've read Death Note and have all the episodes on my computer but have yet to watch it. And I, too, like Fairy Tail a lot and am excited about the anime adaption (I thought it was coming out December, not October....). Fairy Tail is suspiciously way too similar to One Piece, on the verge of ripping it off me thinks, which I guess is why I like it a lot since One Piece is my favorite manga. So sansafro you better like One Piece OR ELSE! Cause to me it wouldn't make sense to like one but not the other.

The art is similar, but both guys were assistants to the same author IIRC, so it’s not just coincidental. The guy who does Fairy Tail had more or less the same style when he did RAVE, so it’s not like he just ripped off something popular. Most of the other similarities are common to all shounen series.

I never watched the OP anime. The manga was pretty cool, but I stopped reading it after Thriller Bark for some reason or another. What always bugged me about it(though it’s hardly unique to OP) is characters just pulling new moves out of their asses all the time. Say what you will about Bleach or Naruto, but both of those series generally give the characters fairly limited and more iconic movesets. You know Naruto is going to end the fight via Rasengan, but it creates anticipation. With Luffy, who knows what random Gum Gum verb or noun he is going to use?

•  
      CommentAuthorhappycrab91

Yeah I don't think Hiro Mashima actually did rip off One Piece, but it's not just the art style that's very similar (Rave Master started 3 or 4 years after One Piece did, though). Natsu is pretty much Luffy. Despite their pretty different powers they use them in pretty similar ways. And whenever Natsu comes up with some insane battle strategy like putting his hands in that anti-magic barrier and propelling his fist forward with fire, and him eating that gem stuff that tower was made of, I think 'That's so what Luffy would've done'. And yeah most similarities are common to all shounen series, but it's just the little things that One Piece does slightly differently that Fairy Tail does, too.

And I kinda like the pulling stuff outta their asses thing. It only seems like they are pulling it out of their asses because Eiichiro Oda doesn't waste his time with training arcs. The training arcs in Naruto annoy me. Bleach is really the series that pulls stuff outta its ass constantly. When chad got an upgrade to his magical arm out of nowhere I was like "Yeah okay that's fine", but then straight after he got another upgrade out of nowhere and I was all "Oh come on!". Also Ichigo randomly turning super sayian three after he died from a hole in his chest? WTF?!?!!? I like Bleach but I find it the most annoying series.

...I think One Piece has a lot of pretty iconic move sets...

So yeah...
    •  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187

Yeah, the new Chad arm was out of nowhere. Kubo does get lazy with the secondary characters, but the main ones stay reasonably consistent. Ichigo is the biggest example of what I mean, though. His signature has always been Getsuga Tenshou. Bankai, Hollow form, whatever, his big special is always Getsuga. Aside from the major state power-ups like Gear 2nd/3rd none of Luffy’s moves stand out like that to me. Don’t even get me started on Sanji. Every move he has might as well be called “Food Kick.”

Even though it’s not shounen fighting I think Eyeshield 21 handles signature moves the best. Characters do power up their old techs and invent new ones mid-game, but many times they apply their classic techs in creative ways.

That’s why it pissed me off more than any other shounen series when they just had Sena pull a move out of thin air to defeat the baddest ass badass to ever bad an ass. >:[

I might eventually read Eyeshield 21(and maybe Prince of Tennis) but I'm not sure I'd like a sports themed manga much.. I don't really like sport in real life.

I like Sanji battles almost purely because of the jazzy music. But yea his kicks are all basically the same, but think of all his kicks and all Luffy's Gumo gumos as just normal unnamed punches and kicks in anything else, and then their big finishes are diablo jambe or parriage? shot for Sanji and gears for Luffy. All of Ichigo's other moves are simple sword slashes so how does it make it any more iconic than Luffy's stretching punches and kicks? Though I guess Luffy's gears have only been for the last few arcs and you said Ichigo has almost always had Getsuga.

DN is really the exception to that rather than the rule, though.

Ah. I really should watch more episodes of it I suppose…

I tried reading PoT, but I’ve heard it just gets totally retarded in later arcs and stops trying to portray tennis accurately at all, instead focusing on knocking opponents into the stands and freezing them with magic powers and other goofy shit.

Eyeshield is my favorite shounen manga of all time, and I’d hold it up against anything. You don’t really need to understand much football to appreciate it, since it’s being written for a general Japanese audience which doesn’t have the kind of casual knowledge many Americans do.

It might be easier in some respects to enjoy if you don’t know much about the game, actually, so when they do occasionally use stupid skills that have no basis in the real game and would never work, it wouldn’t piss you off. Delta Dynamite, my ass.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Oh, man, I forgot how funny 30 Rock is.

‘Those are gonna be the happiest poor kids since me and my brother went to Neverland Ranch.’

Liz: Tracy, we think you’re spending too much money.
    [cut to Tracy, who’s wearing a shirt made of $100 bills]
    Tracy: Give me and example.

‘Yeah, we can promote both. Kinda how like they ship a copy of Heroes each time they sell a missile guidance system.”

“Thank you for telling me something I already know. You should work at the Huffington Post.”

I watched 3 1/2 episodes of Lizzie McGuire yesterday. Nostalgia is fun. Sadly, I enjoyed it more than a lot of what’s on network TV these days.

I remember Lizzie McGuire! I used to love that show!

Disney had a mini-marathon yesterday. I was happy. Their old shows were so much better than what they have now. I’ve watched some Nick and Disney shows with some little kids before, and they are just aweful.

I can remember towards the end of Lizzie, I would log on and vote for which one I wanted them to show.

Just saw the series finale to King of the Hill. All in all, it was a decent episode that provided closure.

^^I just watched that too. I agree.

I never really got the humor of King of the Hill, I hate Beavis and Butthead with a passion, but Daria is awesome definitely the best of the 3.

I recently watched the new season premieres of Supernatural and Dexter which were pretty cool.

I like King of the Hill. Beavis and Butthead is just stupid and horrible. I’ve never seen Daria.

You must see it, Neurotic Platypus. It is wonderful.

I never really got the humor of King of the Hill

I saw the humour sometimes, but failed to find it funny so I avoided it. What I know of Beavis and Butthead is from the internet and DVD covers and I’m avoiding it.

Has anyone here seen Clone High?

Never heard of Clone High. What’s it about? What’s Daria about?

EDIT:
    I’m watching I Survived, where people talk about horrific events that they survived. They have three stories going at once. One of the stories is really freaky. I’m hiding it, so you don’t have to read it if you don’t want to.

Daria, as I know of the first two or three seasons, is about an intelligent, snarky duo’s lives in an idiotic town.

I know I’m going to sound like someone straight out of Fictionpress or the Pit of Voles, but I suck at summaries.

Luckily, “Clone High” has an Expository Theme Tune.

I swear that these are better than they sound.

Okay, I believe you.

Clone High is awesomely awesome and it pisses me off that it got canceled with a cliffhanger ending. I kind of hate the theme song though it just sounds like it's recorded really badly or something. It's cool how the creator of Scrubs Bill Lawrence had something to do with Clone high and a lot of the cast of Scrubs do voices of minor characters, and Christa Miller has a lead role.

It looks interesting… just looked it up on IMDb.

Watch it on Veoh.

“Daria” and “Clone High” are oddly similar to me. They were both aired on MTV and seem too intelligent for what they show these days. Their theme songs have the same feel. I probably could find more.

I actually like the theme song of “Clone High.” The other music in it is excellent, but it’s a pain to find individual songs (I know about the song lists, but if they’ve played 20 songs in one episode, how will I know which is which?).

King of the Hill clearly needed to be cut to make room for the hilarity that will surely be the Cleveland Show.

Oh god, Family Guy. I loved the first three seasons, and I thought the fourth and fifth seasons were all right. But, the last two seasons have been pretty abysmal.

I HATE Family Guy.

It looks like they are canceling Defying Gravity the episode before they actually tell you what Beta is. All they’re showing next week is King Kong. They could’ve at least show it until they had an actual show to take its place. Ugh, stupid network TV.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2009

It looks like they are canceling Defying Gravity the episode before they actually tell you what Beta is.

What??!!!

Bastards, where did you see that?

Well, I’m not sure that’s it’s canceled, but they showed the eigth (is that spelled right? It doesn’t look right.) episode today, and it said “season finale.” It’s supposed to have thirteen episodes in the first season. It doesn’t look good. I’m pissed at them.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2009

I’ll see the eighth show tomorrow on Hulu (yay!), but darn, that sucks. Its a good show, so far.

Maybe they’ll continue to post them on Hulu. I believe they’ll keep airing them in Canada. All but the first two episodes are on IMDb, so maybe the rest will be too. I’m going to check and see if I get CTV on satellite. They canceled it just as it was getting really interesting.

I have one word to say: NUMB3RS!

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2009

They canceled it just as it was getting really interesting. everyone started going batshit crazy.

Fix’d.

Its still good though.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Okay, epic Defying Gravity. Really good… but dammit I wanna know what Beta is!!!

I watched Warehouse 13 last night, and was surprised to find that I actually enjoyed it. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Yeah, its okay, but it tries to appeal to the ‘cool’ demographic too much, especially when Claudia shows up. But still, its a decent show.

Meh, I agree. It’s not my favorite, but I think it’s worth a watch.

When does the new season of NCIS start? I have to see what happened to Ziva!

Yeah, its okay, but it tries to appeal to the ‘cool’ demographic too much, especially when Claudia shows up. But still, its a decent show.

It’s okay, but it has… a quality. I don’t know what to call it, but Eureka has it too. It’s like, the wrong mix of silly and serious. And who is Claudia? I missed when she appeared, and then she was just… there.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2009

She shows up in one of the episodes.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2009

Just hanging around waiting for Merlin to start up again ._.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2009

Ditto to that. Two more days!

...and then a few hours of agonised waiting for a kindly pirate to upload it somewhere…

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

I’M GOING TO MISS IT TOMORROW. ;_;

I need to go out shopping with mum, and while we’re in that part of the city, she wants to go out to eat.

Which means NO MERLIN UNTIL LATER. ;_;

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

That means that you get to wait in agony for it with us Amerikaners!

;D

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2009

Well, Merlin was pretty darned awesome. The stuff-happening-in-this-series trailerthing looks impressive, too. I’m looking forward to the scorpions.

It was odd that they kept the same opening credits, though. And why does Camelot still have no archers?

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Rrrrrrr. So jealous.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

So am I.

;_;

DAMMIT PIRATES DON’T FAIL ME NOW

New season of NCIS starts Tuesday!

When does the new season of NCIS start? I have to see what happened to Ziva!

I do, too! My sister got invited over to see it at a friend’s house (since we no longer have television, not after those stupid Powers That Be made the DTV switch), but I can’t go because I have a rehearsal and homework. And the stupid CBS site is slow and pauses a lot. Oh, and the Mentalist isn’t on there at all. WHY, GOD, WHY? WHY MUST YOU KEEP ME FROM HAPPINESS?!

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2009

Elanor bribed me into watching Doctor Who. :P

I want to see Doctor Who as his tenth incarnation. I saw him as Casanova, so…

I think I might want to get Hulu. Maybe I can find a good canceled show to watch. I think House starts back tomorrow. I’m not sure how much I’ll like House in reahab though…

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

Elanor bribed me into watching Doctor Who. :P

The bribe isn’t going to make any sense until you get to S4, either. ;D

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Bribe?
    Why would you need a bribe to watch Doctor Who?

Why would you need a bribe to watch Doctor Who?

Well, it could be a bribe to watch a story like “The Twin Dilemma” or “Love & Monsters”...

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Well, it could be a bribe to watch a story like “The Twin Dilemma” or “Love & Monsters”...

Hey, I enjoyed “The Twin Dilemma” the first time I watched it! Although it was probably because I was 10 and it had bird monsters and the Doctor being crazy was a nice change.
    “Love and Monsters” is just indefensible, though.

I think I might want to get Hulu.

“Get” Hulu? I don’t understand. As far as I know, Hulu is like a legal Youtube. Are you thinking of Netflix?

No, I meant making an account on Hulu. I know that it’s free anyway, but with an account, I can subscribe to things. And plus, there might be age restrictions for some things, so I might have to have an account to watch them.

And yes, it’s like YouTube with commercials and way better quality.

Ah.

I really want to launch another anti-DTV angsting session. I’ll go read a Brisingr spork instead.

Also, it just occurred to me that “Brisingr” looks like “Grignr”.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

It’s a logical connection; they both need to mine more vowel gas.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2009

Hulu is what you get when you snort fairy dust. Perfection.

Except that they don’t have HBO or a few other networks, ah well

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

“Love and Monsters” is just indefensible, though.

wat.

Love & Monsters is brilliant. A great episode with a great cast. Just… pure fun.

Mr. Blue Sky.

Ohhhhyeah.

Saw a bit of House, a bit of Heroes, and a bit of the Big Bang Theory. Overall, this season of House looks interesting, Heroes doesn’t seem like it’ll be improving anytime soon (I hate Claire.), and I still can’t get myself into Big Bang Theory. Some of the jokes are hilarious, but I just don’t like the show enough to get myself to watch it every week.

I hate Claire

I used to like her, and several others, but now I hate all of them. I haven’t watched House yet, but I DVRed it.

Claire is fine in the first season, just like everybody else. Once you get past the first season… >:[

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

What happened to Defying Gravity!!!

@sansafro
    My thoughts exactly.

@Virgil
    ABC sucks. They canceled it before Brothers and Sisters came back on. I think, based on the very few ads I saw for it, that it was set up to fail. They wanted a throw-away show. I have no idea why though. What was Beta?!?!?!? The world may never know… unless you live in Canada.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

ABC sucks. They canceled it before Brothers and Sisters came back on. I think, based on the very few ads I saw for it, that it was set up to fail. They wanted a throw-away show. I have no idea why though. What was Beta?!?!?!? The world may never know… unless you live in Canada.

That sucks monkey balls. Where did you hear that?

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2009 edited

Okay, from Wikipedia.

The show’s publicist, Nicole Marostica, issued a statement on September 14, 2009 that ABC is not in fact canceling the show but that management is deciding on a time slot to air the remaining 5 episodes of season 1.[15]

LOS ANGELES (thefutoncritic.com) — Let the speculation end: ABC’s “Defying Gravity” is still very much alive.

A network spokesperson has confirmed the Alphabet hasn’t pulled the plug on the show and is still mulling scheduling options going forward.

Due to its late start this summer, ABC didn’t have the real estate to air all 13 installments from its first season. “Gravity’s” shortened run was made clear from the start: the network announced back on July 22 (read the story), “Brothers & Sisters” would return to its Sunday, 10:00/9:00c slot on September 27, leaving “Gravity” just eight weeks of potential air dates.

This coming Sunday, ABC will air the 2005 feature “King Kong” rather than put originals against CBS’s coverage of the Emmys.

“Gravity” nevertheless has been a lackluster performer at best – last night’s airing drew just 2.52 million viewers (including a 0.9 rating among adults 18-49), making it the least-watched program on the four major networks.

No indication was given as to when the show will return.

http://thefutoncritic.com/news.aspx?id=8293

Darn them all to hell.

This is another article

The “throw-away show” thing is just my opinion. It seems like that’s what they did. Is channel 131 illegal? It says it’s there.

•  
      CommentAuthorSMARTALIENQT
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2009 edited

and I still can’t get myself into Big Bang Theory. Some of the jokes are hilarious, but I just don’t like the show enough to get myself to watch it every week.

You pretty much need a a working knowledge of science, Star Trek, Star Wars, and various comic books, as well as a sense of geekiness.

Thankfully, I have ALL of those. Boxed versions of Star Trek, being part of two science teams, the complete collection of Star Wars movies, Wikipedia… I <3 TBBT.

And Sheldon. <3 <3 <3

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

Sheldon! 8D Juuuust got caught up with that today. Whew.

You pretty much need a a working knowledge of science, Star Trek, Star Wars, and various comic books, as well as a sense of geekiness.

Well, I’m in AP Physics. I watched TNG and Star Trek XI, saw all six Star Wars movies (and was briefly a fan during eighth grade), and recently became a comic book nerd. Also, I’m pretty aware of my own geekhood.

So, I’ll probably try to catch the next episode and see if I can finally latch onto the show.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2009 edited

...oh. That Sheldon. Whoops.

Watching the pilot at the moment (screw you, biological need for sleep to function!), and Sheldon is much love. 8D Sagittarius indeed. hack

Edit: Just watched this clip on YouTube, and died of laughter and jealousy.

Died.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2009

Because I’m a loser, I just started another British show (Spooks/MI5) without knowing whether it’s good or not. So far (ten minutes into the first episode) it seems a-okay.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2009

Because I’m a loser, I just started another British show (Spooks/MI5) without knowing whether it’s good or not. So far (ten minutes into the first episode) it seems a-okay.

:D One of my friends watches that. Admittedly, mainly for the RArmitage. (Rupert Penly-Jones, too. (Captain Wentworth.)) It seems quite good.

Just watched the first two eps of the new Heroes season since I forgot it premiered yesterday. For some reason I’m actually hopeful, especially since Jeph Loeb isn’t around to ruin it.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Because I’m a loser, I just started another British show (Spooks/MI5)

omgit’sbrilliant <3

Except.

Erm.

OH.

First episode.

Yeah. The show got into a bit of trouble for one scene in the next episode.

BUT IT’S REALLY AWESOME.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

The entire first episode, I was cringing and wondering how the hell they got away with such controversy thrown in at the very beginning of the show. XD And like, yeah. Other stuff.

Anyway. I’mma watch the next one when I get home, and keep watching and watching until Richard Armitage shows up. ^^

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

BUT IT’S REALLY AWESOME.

It is indeed.
    I only really followed the most recent series, though. I should probably get around to watching the other 5…

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

I watched the new episode of NCIS last night. Tony can be so awesome sometimes…

• CommentAuthorliadan14

We just started watching How I Met Your Mother (mostly as relaxation because we can’t get the next season of Bones or the next season of Grey’s Anatomy and my family doesn’t want to watch Supernatural or TOS).

I like Barney.

I think this may say a few things about me.

@ Apep: I know, Tony’s awesome. :D They’re all awesome, actually.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2009 edited

What the heck?! MI-5 is scary and gory and waaaah. I mean, gore, yeah, I can handle it to an extent, but boiling grease and shit like that? No thanks. D:

The House premiere annoyed me. They broke him. House doesn’t rap on stage in a talent show; House mocks those that do. He doesn’t give in to authority figures. I wanted him to win, but he didn’t. I hope this doesn’t continue all season (or worse, for the rest of the show). I know that the point was for him to be happy and “normal” and for him to “get better.” But being a miserable ass is what makes House House. In my opinion, he should’ve been allowed to leave after he detoxed since all of his hallucinations had stopped. At first it seemed like he was gonna go all McMurphey on the staff, but then he just… gave up, or gave in, or whatever. Grrrr… I don’t like the new and improved version of his character.
    /rant

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2009

What the heck?! MI-5 is scary and gory and waaaah. I mean, gore, yeah, I can handle it to an extent, but boiling grease and shit like that? No thanks. D:

Yeeeeah. That’s what I meant. ._. That’s the only incident of that, though. It really got into trouble, and they toned it down after that.

I only really followed the most recent series, though. I should probably get around to watching the other 5…

Bleh, I missed the most recent one whilst travelling, and they haven’t seen fit to repeat it. I guess I’ll see it at some point.

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow

I just saw the season premiere of How I Met Your Mother….and it is amazing

Wonderful Barney and Robin-ness, Lily being evil, “Tux night” and more! Heehee, yay! And oh God, Professor Mosby….Snicker

• CommentAuthorliadan14

Heh. Yeah, How I Met Your Mother is pretty awesome. “Hi. Haaave you met Ted?”

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Yeeeeah. That’s what I meant. ._. That’s the only incident of that, though. It really got into trouble, and they toned it down after that.

okies then. D: I’ll keep watching and waiting for RARmitage.